Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Any advice for post-op return flight from Thailand?

Started by AbraCadabra, August 01, 2011, 06:36:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbraCadabra

Anything you might want to share with regard to that long return flight?

Mine will be about 11hrs estimated with one plane change in Bangkok.

How did you do staying seated for so long?

Did you ask for a wheel chair at the airport?

Did you ask for an upgrade?

Did you inform the steward/stewardess about your condition?

Did they let you get out of the plane before the bulk of the passengers?

Did you come alright on the plane toilets?

Is an isles seat a good idea?

There may be other points, the above is just a primer.

Thanks ladies,
Axelle

Some say: "Free sex ruins everything..."
  •  

Dinky_Di

Quote from: Axélle on August 01, 2011, 06:36:14 AM
Anything you might want to share with regard to that long return flight?

Mine will be about 11hrs estimated with one plane change in Bangkok.

How did you do staying seated for so long?

Did you ask for a wheel chair at the airport?

Did you ask for an upgrade?

Did you inform the steward/stewardess about your condition?

Did they let you get out of the plane before the bulk of the passengers?

Did you come alright on the plane toilets?

Is an isles seat a good idea?

There may be other points, the above is just a primer.

Thanks ladies,
Axelle

1. Not really just boring as always, mine was nine hours so not as long but still boring.
2. Slept, watched movies, read and remained perched on my donut cushion quite comfortably.
3. No wheelchair, walking fine, and carryon bag on wheels.  Just played the weak female on the plane and had someone lift it into the overhead locker for me.
4. Nope didn't ask.
5. No, none of their business.
6. Alighted with everyone else.
7. Not sure what you mean by come alright on the toilet....however no problems using them when urinating.
8. can be to stretch your legs however I prefer a window so I don't have passengers trying to get past all the time.
  •  

Ann Onymous

I didn't have anywhere near that length of flight since it was just a Montreal to Houston flight (connecting via ORD) with about an hour and a half drive to the house after landing...but...

1) When the seat belt indicator is removed, wander around the cabin if you feel so inclined. 

2) I did not ask for a wheelchair because I was not incapable of moving myself around...but then again, I was trying to wander around less than two days post-op.  Personal fitness plays a big role here...

3) Upgrades are generally based on status with the carrier, not on a 'just because' basis...and on international flights, you are apt to see far more people with status getting the upgrade.  Not sure if the foreign carriers are doing a lot of buy-ups like United and a few other US Domestic carriers have started doing (which pisses off the frequent fliers to no end since it sucks up the otherwise available seats).

4-5) Made no effort to notify airline personnel and did not care about boarding early or being a first-off because of any condition.  Granted, I hate boarding with the sheeple, but status usually removes that concern...

6) Did not use the on-board toilets.  Had no problems at either ORD or IAH.  (should note that this was not unique to that particular flight- I am generally able to avoid the on-board toilets on most flights). 

7) My personal preference is a window seat since I rarely am up and about on a commercial flight and I despise having people crawl over me getting in and out of their seats.  I also hate having to worry about the carts or people catching my feet or elbow as the flight attendants go through the cabin for beverage service.  This holds true no matter what cabin I happen to be in...but as with other issues, much of this comes to personal preference. 

•  

Lisbeth

I've heard people say you should take a "donut" to sit on.
"Anyone who attempts to play the 'real transsexual' card should be summarily dismissed, as they are merely engaging in name calling rather than serious debate."
--Julia Serano

http://juliaserano.blogspot.com/2011/09/transsexual-versus-transgender.html
  •  

juliemac

19 hours to Bangkok from NY....
The donut will be your freind.

I walked fine so didnt use a wheel chair, but did ask some one to lift my bag.

Though, that 19 hours was LOOOONG....

•  

Amazon D

I told the stewardess that i had surgery and she let me dilate in the bathroom and she blocked the door with a sign.

also try to get a night flight and a seat by back of plane near bathroom and try to find empty seats in rear to sleep.
I'm an Amazon womyn + very butch + respecting MWMF since 1999 unless invited. + I AM A HIPPIE

•  

Tasha

Buy yourself a first class or business ticket, it was well worth the extra money. I was treated like a queen and the food was actually very good.
>:-)
  •  

AubreyRenee

Take one of the xannax he gives you, a pain pill, and ask for a window seat. Turns a 12 hour flight of pain into a two hour discomfort. :D
  •  

AbraCadabra

Thanks ladies for your most helpful insights.

One question though: I heard some surgeon do not want us to use donut cushions as it could stress your neo-vag i.e. want it all to "drop" through that open space.

Any thoughts on that?

Axelle
  •  

Dinky_Di

Dr S will give you a donut cushion to use, and trust me when I say 'You will need it'.  I carried it everywhere and sitting without it was very very very uncomfortable. It became my shadow for a number of weeks after surgery.
  •  

AbraCadabra

Dinky,
the donut it will be --- if Val suggestion won't work. Don't want to be a hero sitting on my sutures.

Val,
I have 2 ops in two weeks followed by 1 more week recovery.
2nd op is supposed to be more minor i.e. completion vaginal lining/channel.

Babz,
I live in SA not USA... for better or for worse, um :-)

•  

Birdie

Request a wheelchair! Both at Bangkok airport and once you arrive at your destination. You have no way of knowing how ready you will be to walk around for long periods of time, and early apparent mobility doesn't always last. I'm quite fit, had no trouble walking around in the weeks after surgery, but the effects of the op can creep up on you, and Bangkok airport is enormous. I nearly passed out just walking to baggage check, and would not have made it on the plane without a wheelchair. Also, once I returned home I found that I was too weak to walk around or stand for long periods of time. If not for the wheelchair at the other end, I would have collapsed.

You really can't know how you will feel on the day. There is no harm in being safe. Make sure you request one if you have any doubts whatsoever.

Isle seats are good, so that you wont need to wake people up and step over them to use the bathroom.Oh, and if you're listed as being in a wheelchair you will be the first one on the plane and the last one to leave.
  •  

Lisbeth

I picked up someone who was returning from Thailand at the airport yesterday. She had arranged with the doctor to provide a letter to the airline so they would give her bulkhead and exit row seats. She said it worked well, except in Korea where she had to bitch at them for not complying with the doctor's orders.
"Anyone who attempts to play the 'real transsexual' card should be summarily dismissed, as they are merely engaging in name calling rather than serious debate."
--Julia Serano

http://juliaserano.blogspot.com/2011/09/transsexual-versus-transgender.html
  •  

Susan Kay

My return flight was considerably shorter then your planned one, but most still applies:
- Two hours was the long leg, and just about long enough. Get up once an hour - restroom, stretch, whatever.
- Of course I was using US airports not international, but I assume they all provide wheelchairs. Mine took me from check-in right to the head of the security check-point then right to the gate. (I felt obligated to look worse to the rather long line then I felt.) It probably can be and should be arranged for in advance.
- Yes, ask if there is an upgrade possible. A roomier seat is always an advantage. To get the wheelchair all I had to do is tell the check-in clerk I was recovering from surgery - no need for details, though your return-from point may well clue experienced personnel what's going on. Put on your "so what?" face.
- Yes, let the air personnel know you are recovering.
- Getting off early wasn't an option; my carry-on was half way back, so I just waited for traffic to clear. Consider checking all bags except your purse.
- I used the restroom once; no problems.
- An aisle seat is a good idea. At least you don't have to climb over others, they have to climb over you.
- Be sure and pack extra sanitary napkins and other absorbant dressings to carry you through. Sitting so long will stress incisions causing bleeding. So far, my flight back was the only day I missed a scheduled dilation. I'm sure that doesn't create a problem. Catch-up later if you can, unless you are real uninhibited!
- Make sure you are met at the destination airport for returning home - you will be worn out and not ready to drive. Make sure you have needed supplies, meds, etc. so you don't have to stop. You will want to rest, not hunt up food or anything else.
- I didn't get a donut. I wish I had, but then again my air time was a fraction of yours.

Susan Kay
Remember, people are very open-minded about new things --- so long as they are exactly like the old ones.

- Paul de Kruif
  •  

noeleena

Hi,

Return from Phuket to singapore to new Zealand . sleeped on the floor at ch ch inter  airport , then to Timaru then Waimate. all up 14, 1 / 2 hours.

flights 1 hour,      9 1 ./ 2 hours then 3, & 1 hour home .

on the singapore to N Z  i was able to move around & stand , for 1 / 2 hours at a time , & that helped me a lot .

I just sat on what was there   & moved around or squrmed about in my seat.

...noeleena...
Hi. from New Zealand, Im a woman of difference & intersex who is living life to the full.   we have 3 grown up kids and 11 grand kid's 6 boy's & 5 girl's,
Jos and i are still friends and  is very happy with her new life with someone.
  •  

apple pie

I know absolutely nothing about flying to Thailand or anything related to SRS, but... do keep an eye on the political situation in Thailand! They just got a new prime minister and there's no guarantee there won't again be big protests on the streets of Bangkok that often turn into a mess (and once closed the airport)... so be safe and hope it all goes well :)
  •  

AbraCadabra

apple honey,
I have to changeover flights in BKK but stay inside the airport.
Phuket being an international air port I suppose I get through customs and pass port control only there.

But yes, I will keep me eyes peeled.

Thanks for the input,
Axelle
  •  

jade

I'd definately ask for wheelchair and don't forget the donut cushion.
  •