Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Kiwano

Started by Jamie D, April 10, 2012, 04:37:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maya Zimmerman

Well, of the stuff on here, I've had durian-flavored and dragon fruit-flavored drinks and candies.  Dragon fruit is great and durian is something you give to someone as a gag.  It smells awful, it tastes awful, and in my opinion, should never have been considered "food".  We got that broccoli one time.  It tastes okay, but nothing special.  But starfruit!  That's a staple in my house!

Also, I recently had pummelo for the first time.  I mistakenly peeled and ate it wrong at first, but if you do it right (no skin whatsoever; just pulp), it's divine!
VISUALSHOCK! SPEEDSHOCK! SOUNDSHOCK!

NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!
  •  

Alexis

When I tried horned melon for the first time it was something pretty special because the taste was like nothing that I was expecting, something like an unripe banana or even a plantain mixed with a cucumber, and the texture was definitely different, overall I thought it was really good though.

Of the other things mentioned on here dragon fruit is definitely my favorite mentioned, but one that I would add to the list is

Mangosteen. The flavor is surreal, they look great, and on top of everything, they're so much fun to cook with
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: Alexis on April 17, 2012, 02:20:51 PM
When I tried horned melon for the first time it was something pretty special because the taste was like nothing that I was expecting, something like an unripe banana or even a plantain mixed with a cucumber, and the texture was definitely different, overall I thought it was really good though.

Of the other things mentioned on here dragon fruit is definitely my favorite mentioned, but one that I would add to the list is

Mangosteen. The flavor is surreal, they look great, and on top of everything, they're so much fun to cook with

Wow Alexis.  I never seen anything like that.  Where are they from?
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: Felix on April 17, 2012, 09:39:29 AM
Star fruit shows up here (west coast u.s.) sometimes but it sure looks a lot cooler than it tastes.

Presentation in a salad is as important as the taste!
  •  

Jamie D

We have these in the market now:

Orange-colored cauliflower, high in beta carotene
  •  

Alexis

Quote from: Jamie D on April 19, 2012, 08:48:56 PM
Wow Alexis.  I never seen anything like that.  Where are they from?
They're from southeast asia. They're very rare here in the US unfortunately, as I love using them at every chance, because of a USDA ban on importing them until 2008. The texture is like that of a lychee, but it melts in your mouth like ice cream, and the flavor always makes me think of grapes and pineapple, married with that tart sweetness of molasses. So yummy! They're becoming a little bit more common though so look for them in the fall

Quote from: Jamie D on April 19, 2012, 08:54:48 PM
Presentation in a salad is as important as the taste!
SOOOOO True. One of the first lessons drilled into your head a culinary school is that you eat with your eyes first
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: Alexis on April 20, 2012, 01:16:05 PM
They're from southeast asia. They're very rare here in the US unfortunately, as I love using them at every chance, because of a USDA ban on importing them until 2008. The texture is like that of a lychee, but it melts in your mouth like ice cream, and the flavor always makes me think of grapes and pineapple, married with that tart sweetness of molasses. So yummy! They're becoming a little bit more common though so look for them in the fall
SOOOOO True. One of the first lessons drilled into your head a culinary school is that you eat with your eyes first

Speaking of which:

•  

Jamie D

White asparagus in the store.  Going to use it for Sunday brunch.

•  

AbraCadabra

Quote from: Jamie D on April 26, 2012, 12:28:51 AM
White asparagus in the store.  Going to use it for Sunday brunch.

Gosh!!!!!!!!! Can I come over??? I LOVE the stuff.
Add some home made sauce hollandaise, - some cooked lean ham.
Heaven!

Glass of dry white, how about a Chablis?

Axélle
Some say: "Free sex ruins everything..."
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: Axélle-Michélle on April 26, 2012, 12:46:36 AM
Heaven!

Axélle

Chablis would be good.  With asparagus topped with a hollandaise sauce, you might want a nicely oaked chardonnay or a pinot blanc.  Or even a riesling.
  •  

Alexis

Quote from: Axélle-Michélle on April 26, 2012, 12:46:36 AM
Heaven!

Axélle

Quote from: Jamie D on April 27, 2012, 08:34:20 PM
Chablis would be good.  With asparagus topped with a hollandaise sauce, you might want a nicely oaked chardonnay or a pinot blanc.  Or even a riesling.
Grand Cru Alsatian Riesling is definitely where I'd go get to play with the flavors from white asparagus, that or a nice dry Muscat; but everything mentioned so far all sounds spot on so why not just have it all
Also if they're really thin spears of asparagus then try it with Champagne, the thin ones don't develop that chemical component so the two play together beautifully, otherwise gross. Plus its an excuse to drink Champagne, not like one is needed :P
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: Alexis on April 27, 2012, 09:30:10 PM
Grand Cru Alsatian Riesling is definitely where I'd go get to play with the flavors from white asparagus, that or a nice dry Muscat; but everything mentioned so far all sounds spot on so why not just have it all

Also if they're really thin spears of asparagus then try it with Champagne, the thin ones don't develop that chemical component so the two play together beautifully, otherwise gross. Plus its an excuse to drink Champagne, not like one is needed :P

There we have it, Axelle, from the professional chef!

Can the two of us polish off a bottle of chablis, chardonnay, pinot blanc, riesling, muscat, and and champagne??  I'm willing to try, if you are!
  •  

Jamie D

Okay, so this is NOT going into my herb garden!

Epimedium grandiflorium

Better known as "Horny Goat Weed"
  •  

Jeneva

Ok, well here is ANTI-Horny Goat Weed

We are always trying to find reasonably priced Vitex negundo (Chaste Tree / Monk's Pepper) because bees absolutely love it, but it is hard to find in less than $40 pots.  We tried seed one year, but it was a total failure (driest year we'd had in a long time).

Pre-Orchi I sometimes wondered how effective the seeds would be.
Blessed Be!

Jeneva Caroline Samples
  •  

Alexis

Quote from: Jamie D on April 28, 2012, 12:50:13 AM
There we have it, Axelle, from the professional chef!

Can the two of us polish off a bottle of chablis, chardonnay, pinot blanc, riesling, muscat, and and champagne??  I'm willing to try, if you are!
If you can't, I know a girl :p
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: Alexis on April 28, 2012, 04:21:54 PM
If you can't, I know a girl :p

I shall toast to your good health, and to that of my friends around the world.
Meanwhile, Axelle will be hitting the chablis ... hard
  •  

Cindy

Some one say Chablis? Yes I will thanks
  •  

Jamie D

Party at Jamie's place!

•  

Pica Pica

A bit embarrassing, everyone's wearing the same dress.

My new favourite fruit is the custard apple.

'For the circle may be squared with rising and swelling.' Kit Smart
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: Pica Pica on April 29, 2012, 05:07:57 AM
A bit embarrassing, everyone's wearing the same dress.

My new favourite fruit is the custard apple.

It's a club. We also have a secret handshake.
  •