Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

I will gladly pay you Tuesday, for a hamburger today

Started by Jamie D, June 04, 2012, 10:11:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamie D

Quote from: peky on June 05, 2012, 08:08:19 PM
turkey or chicken burgers anybody?

Not truly "hamburgers," but tell us your favorite!
  •  

Jeneva

Quote from: peky on June 05, 2012, 08:08:19 PM
turkey or chicken burgers anybody?
Quote from: Jamie D on June 05, 2012, 07:27:37 PM
I'm going to tell on you!

So, J, what's your home recipe?
Actually I just showed her and she chuckled and said cute.

We use turkey around here too.  We've gotten to the point that beef just tears out tummies to pieces.

No real recipe, just raw ground turkey, lots of garlic, Lowrey's seasoning salt, a bit of Emeril's, a lot of fresh ground black pepper and for the adults a few shakes of crushed red pepper.

We buy sharp cheddar by the block and slice it as needed and top with Vlasic pickles (the common brands around here are just mushy).  We also use the multi-grain flat buns since they are few less carbs for our son with type 1.

We almost always eat at home (except lately when our kitchen has been torn apart from the water damage - 4 weeks to get it repaired - 4 weeks for cabinets and at least 4 more weeks for new cabinet tops).

:'( And since I told my bosses that I would not accept their ignoring my FMLA violation complaint and refusal to honor my ADA requirements, we'll be eating cheap and in a LOT more from here out.
Blessed Be!

Jeneva Caroline Samples
  •  

peky

Quote from: Jeneva on June 05, 2012, 08:39:02 PM

We use turkey around here too.  We've gotten to the point that beef just tears out tummies to pieces.

No real recipe, just raw ground turkey, lots of garlic, Lowrey's seasoning salt, a bit of Emeril's, a lot of fresh ground black pepper and for the adults a few shakes of crushed red pepper.

We buy sharp cheddar by the block and slice it as needed and top with Vlasic pickles (the common brands around here are just mushy).  We also use the multi-grain flat buns since they are few less carbs for our son with type 1.

We almost always eat at home (except lately when our kitchen has been torn apart from the water damage - 4 weeks to get it repaired - 4 weeks for cabinets and at least 4 more weeks for new cabinet tops).

:'( And since I told my bosses that I would not accept their ignoring my FMLA violation complaint and refusal to honor my ADA requirements, we'll be eating cheap and in a LOT more from here out.

Hey, Jamie,

Add some Habaneros and you get Pesky Peky Turkey burgers
  •  

Jamie D

It has been my experience that turkey tend to "dry out" on the grill.  Do you do anything to help keep it moist?
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: peky on June 05, 2012, 08:46:08 PM
Hey, Jamie,

Habaneros?  You are a braver person than I!
  •  

Jeneva

Quote from: Jamie D on June 05, 2012, 10:26:29 PM
It has been my experience that turkey tend to "dry out" on the grill.  Do you do anything to help keep it moist?
1 flip only and no pressing with the spatula.

Mmmm, the habaneros sound interesting.
Blessed Be!

Jeneva Caroline Samples
  •  

LordKAT

•  

Jamie D

This picture is way too neat.  These things are really messy.  In college, we used to make midnight runs to Tommy's on Rampart at Beverley. Open 24 hrs.  Never without a customer.   Also popular with the Dodger Stadium crowd.

I thank the God(ess) of Hamburgers they opened a new one near me!
  •  

Alexis

Quote from: Jamie D on June 05, 2012, 10:26:29 PM
Its because ground turkey in general lacks the fat content that beef, which is one of the things that makes it much healthier but simultaneously makes it much harder to work with. Couple that with the fact that you need to cook it to 165 to eliminate salmonella concerns. So, short of adding fat into the meat and re-grinding, there isn't really much you can do to preserve it's moisture; like Jeneva said flip them one time only, and don't press on it with the spatula (this is actually true for everything)

Quote from: peky on June 05, 2012, 08:46:08 PM
Hey, Jamie,

Sounds really tasty
  •  

Alexis

There's a place in town called Thunderburger that has some really fun burgers, and for what they are they're really reasonable. Some of my favorites from them are

Born to be Wild -  Boar Burger, Topped With Havarti, Pineapple Salsa - 15
Pig in a Cow Suit - Beef Burger, With Cheddar, BBQ Pulled Pork, Tobacco Onions - 14
Big Pimpin' - Kobe Beef Burger, Topped With Seared Hudson Valley Foie Gras, Morbier Cheese - 24

Afterwards it always feels like such a mistake cause I'm so full that I feel like I don't want to eat for a week, but obviously it's not enough of a deterrent to keep from going back
  •  

Jamie D

Steppenwolf - Born to be wild

My free association with Alexis's post.

(I'm afraid I date myself ...
but I'm bigendered, so I can do that)  ;)
  •  

Joelene9

Quote from: Jamie D on June 05, 2012, 01:51:17 PM
There is a new Five Guys a few miles away from me in the city of Thousand Oaks.  The place is always crowded.  I haven't wanted to wait, or had the time to wait.

Do you have a Fuddruckers anywhere close to you?  I used to go to the one in Pasadena, CA, back in the 80's, but it is closed from what I hear.
The Fuddruckers was one of the burger places that closed and never returned or relocated. 
  Joelene
  •  

Jamie D

Had to into Ventura, to a big & tall store to get my son some clothes.

So we stopped off at "Duke's" on Seaward - walking distance from the beach.

Duke's is your prototypical beach burger dive.  Decent food, decent price, great ambiance.

Besides burgers, you can get fish tacos and burritos, etc.

Get the "Ball o' Wax" plate.  Big burger with bacon, avocado, tomato, lettuce, pickles, and mayo. Add mustard and ketchup if you wish.

Eat on the patio, enjoy the sun and the sea breeze, listen to the waves, and order a pitcher of beer.  California living at its best.

Two double burgers, fries and a pitcher of beer under $30.00
  •  

Ms. OBrien CVT

The Royal Red Robin from Red Robin

This is the aristocrat of all burgers because we crown it with a fresh fried egg. It's topped with hardwood-smoked bacon, American cheese, crisp lettuce, fresh tomatoes and mayo.

Not bad for $9.99

It does not take courage or bravery to change your gender.  It takes fear of living one more day in the wrong one.~me
  •  

V M

The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: Laura91 on June 15, 2012, 12:56:18 AM
I make a mean "meatloaf" burger.  ;D

I can blow away any burger chain if I have enough money for all of the ingredients that I need.

Recipe, dammit, recipe!

You cannot leave us hanging like that.  >:(
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: Ms. OBrien on June 15, 2012, 12:26:10 AM
The Royal Red Robin from Red Robin

This is the aristocrat of all burgers because we crown it with a fresh fried egg. It's topped with hardwood-smoked bacon, American cheese, crisp lettuce, fresh tomatoes and mayo.

I've always thought that putting a fried egg on a burger was a "southern" thing.  I know they do that at the burger chain, "Fatburger."
  •  

Jamie D

I was thinking about burger places our family would go to when I was a kid.

For me, family outings are among my favorite memories.

There was a place in Redondo Beach called "Woody's Smorgasburger."  It was sort of a forerunner to "Fuddruckers."

You ordered your burger patty, cooked however you wanted, then loaded it from the smorgasbord of toppings, cafeteria style.

I found a short retrospective on the net.

Woody's Smorgasburger
  •  

V M

The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Jamie D

Where did you find those pictures?  Yours?

"Bitchin' burgers"
  •