Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

I will gladly pay you Tuesday, for a hamburger today

Started by Jamie D, June 04, 2012, 10:11:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamie D

I will gladly pay you Tuesday, for a hamburger today! - J. Wellington Wimpy

This is the famous line spoken by "Wimpy," the lovable, down-on-his-luck dandy who appeared in the "Popeye the Sailor Man" cartoons, beginning on the Great Depression of the 1930's.

Wimpy was the inspiration for the world-wide hamburger chain of the same name.

Make no mistake about it, the modest hamburger is big business.  For instance, the McDonald's chain reported over $24 Billion US revenue in 2010.

The modern hamburger sandwich was purportedly invented at the 1904 St. Louis Worlds Fair., although it certainly had antecedents dating back to the 15th century.  There are only two required ingredients for the modern hamburger sandwich - a ground beef patty and two pieces of bread, usually in the form of a bun.  Beyond that, the human imagination is the only limit.

Hamburgers are fried, grilled, char-broiled, barbecued, and steamed.  Pack them with lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, pickles, bacon, fried eggs, or any number of other toppings.  Condiments?  Take your pick.

Inspired by the many contribution in Devlyn's "Ground Beef 101" post. So I ask you, what is your favorite hamburger joint?  Do you have a favorite type of hamburger sandwich?  Post them here.  Please add pictures if you wish.  Recipes will be appreciated.
  •  

Jamie D

Here was my first contribution to Devlyn's thread:

There is only one perfect way:

In-n-Out Double Double, animal style

Edit: Don't believe me?  Read this:

Best Burgers in the U.S.
  •  

Alexis

Well, there is Nathan Myhrvold's burger from Modernist Cuisine...

The Modernist Cuisine Burger:
Tender Hamburger Bun, made from scratch and toasted in beef suet
Hamburger Glaze, suet, pureed tomato confit, beef stock and smoked salt
Maitake Mushroom, sauteed in beef suet
Romaine Lettuce, infused sous vide with liquid hickory smoke
Heirloom Tomato, vacuum-compressed
Cheese Single, made from aged emmental, comte, and wheat ale
Short-rib patty, ground to vertically align the grain
Cremini Mushroom Ketchup, with honey, horseradish, fish sauce, ginger and allspice

All in all from start to finish you're looking at about 30 hours of prep to put it together. Served with it are Ultrasonic Fries, Onion Rings, and a Strawberry Milkshake (all done in an equally awesome manner). It's on my list of things that I plan on making over this summer, who knows, maybe even for a susan's meetup :)
  •  

aleon515

Yes, but they missed the green chili cheeseburger from Bobcat Bites in Santa Fe New Mexico.
(Sad though I can't have green chilies.)

--Jay Jay
  •  

Alexis

Quote from: Jamie D on June 04, 2012, 10:14:58 PM
Here was my first contribution to Devlyn's thread:

There is only one perfect way:

In-n-Out Double Double, animal style

Edit: Don't believe me?  Read this:

Best Burgers in the U.S.

OMG! Palena! Yes! That's one of my favorite places, and their burger is out of control good
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: Alexis on June 04, 2012, 10:51:26 PM
Well, there is Nathan Myhrvold's burger from Modernist Cuisine...

All in all from start to finish you're looking at about 30 hours of prep to put it together. Served with it are Ultrasonic Fries, Onion Rings, and a Strawberry Milkshake (all done in an equally awesome manner). It's on my list of things that I plan on making over this summer, who knows, maybe even for a susan's meetup :)

I don't even want to ask how much that would cost, on the menu.
  •  

Alexis

Quote from: Jamie D on June 04, 2012, 11:17:08 PM
I don't even want to ask how much that would cost, on the menu.
Can't be that much, there really aren't any expensive components to it, and it's only a few hours of 'active' prep. Besides...you didn't ask, which means you can afford it ;D
  •  

Jamie D

True, but too pricey a burger can bring tears to my eyes faster than a fresh sliced onion.
  •  

Jamie D

Case in point (from the Guinness Book of World Records):

The most expensive hamburger is Le Burger Extravagant which sells for $295.00 (£186.52) at Serendipity 3 in New York, New York, USA, as of 22 May 2012.

The hamburger is made from white truffle butter-infused Japanese Wagyu beef and topped with James Montgomery cheddar cheese, black truffles and a fried quail egg. It is served on a gold-dusted campagna roll spread with white truffle butter. The roll is topped with a blini, creme fraiche and caviar.

•  

Jamie D

•  

Alexis

Ok, so here is a 'recipe' for what I think makes for an awesome burger

The bun - Kaiser Rolls or Brioche or Challah
The burger - 70/30 ground sirloin
Toppings - Caramelized Onions, Pepper Jack Cheese, Jalapeño Peppers, Sautéed Mushrooms, and the Bacon Guacamole that I posted in another thread

Notes:
Paint the insides of the bun with butter steeped with garlic and toast on a flat griddle.
When cooking the mushrooms, cook them in just veg oil with some salt and pepper, no need to add anything fancy
Season the burger with just salt and pepper, the aim here is to highlight the flavor of the beef, not lose it in spices and herbs
In my opinion you get the best flavor out of the burgers when you cook them in a cast iron pan, rather than on a grill; that way as the fat renders out of the burger you can continue to baste the burger in its own fat. To enhance it a little bit more you can actually cook it in the rendered bacon fat from making the bacon guac for that extra artery-clogging goodness

Quote from: Alexis on May 05, 2012, 07:37:24 AM
Bacon Guac Recipe

Serve it with oven fries:

Oven Fries with Roasted Garlic
2 #       Russet Potatoes, cut along the long axis and then sliced into 1/4" wedges
1 ea      Garlic Head, broken into cloves but skin left on the cloves
8 ea      Thyme Sprigs, whole
2 t        Black Pepper
2 fl oz   Grapeseed or other neutral, high-heat, oil

Preheat the oven to 450 F
Combine all of the above in a mixing bowl and toss so that the potatoes are evenly coated in oil
Spread evenly on a lined sheet tray
Season with Kosher Salt
Put in oven and bake until golden and blistered, which will be somewhere between 30-45 minutes
Serve Immediately
*The garlic actually imparts a bit of an aroma to the fries while they cook, but the real gem of it is removing them from the skin and getting that sweet roasted garlic to mix up the taste of the fries.
  •  

V M

Just when I think I've gone completely nutters I realize that I have competition

Quote from: Alexis on June 04, 2012, 11:45:21 PM
Then you probably don't want to read this:
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4139903/Heston-Blumenthals-207000-test-tube-burger.html
Heston Blumenthal's £207,000 test tube burger...

Quote from: Jamie D on June 04, 2012, 11:46:44 PM

The most expensive hamburger is Le Burger Extravagant which sells for $295.00 (£186.52) at Serendipity 3 in New York, New York, USA, as of 22 May 2012.

The hamburger is made from white truffle butter-infused Japanese Wagyu beef and topped with James Montgomery cheddar cheese, black truffles and a fried quail egg. It is served on a gold-dusted campagna roll spread with white truffle butter. The roll is topped with a blini, creme fraiche and caviar.

I am reminded that I need to pick up a cheap barbecue to cook on for the summer  :)

The best burgers in the world are the one's you grill up and share with friends at a nice lil' get together  :)
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Sephirah

Quote from: Jamie D on June 04, 2012, 11:46:44 PM

Good thing I don't like truffles. :P

I don't eat out at hamburger places, but I do like the occasional home cooked one. Nothing that requires a lot of faffing around, though; just your bog standard quarter pound burger with some lettuce, sandwich gherkins and cheese slices, on a bun. I have simple tastes.
Natura nihil frustra facit.
  •  

Joelene9

The burger places are so bad in my area.  How bad is it?  The best I can muster is Wendy's.  I just came back from a trip viewing the eclipse and visiting relatives.  A cousin took me to a Five Guys Burgers and Fries.  This place is better than the good places in my town who either left or went belly up.  Very juicy hamburgers with the better fries.   There are 3 Five Guys In the metroplex, but far away from my normal track and clustered on another side I usually don't have business there.  In and Out hasn't open in my town yet, but a newspaper blurb said that one is coming.  My sister I visited in the LA area wanted me to have the In and Out experience, but a sudden email with the contact info to a cousin I did not know I had on the other side of the LA basin had me visit her instead.  She gave me a signed novel she wrote.  A good novel over an In and Out Burger?  Chicken soup for my soul.
  Joelene
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: Joelene9 on June 05, 2012, 10:18:16 AM
  The burger places are so bad in my area.  How bad is it?  The best I can muster is Wendy's.  I just came back from a trip viewing the eclipse and visiting relatives.  A cousin took me to a Five Guys Burgers and Fries.  This place is better than the good places in my town who either left or went belly up.  Very juicy hamburgers with the better fries.   There are 3 Five Guys In the metroplex, but far away from my normal track and clustered on another side I usually don't have business there.  In and Out hasn't open in my town yet, but a newspaper blurb said that one is coming.  My sister I visited in the LA area wanted me to have the In and Out experience, but a sudden email with the contact info to a cousin I did not know I had on the other side of the LA basin had me visit her instead.  She gave me a signed novel she wrote.  A good novel over an In and Out Burger?  Chicken soup for my soul.
  Joelene

There is a new Five Guys a few miles away from me in the city of Thousand Oaks.  The place is always crowded.  I haven't wanted to wait, or had the time to wait.

Do you have a Fuddruckers anywhere close to you?  I used to go to the one in Pasadena, CA, back in the 80's, but it is closed from what I hear.
  •  

Jeneva

Fuddruckers is pretty good and so is Five Guys, but it is way too much for a hamburger.  We just make our own if we get in the mood.

Of course my wife is the worlds biggest cheapskate. ;)
Blessed Be!

Jeneva Caroline Samples
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: Jeneva on June 05, 2012, 07:19:00 PM
Fuddruckers is pretty good and so is Five Guys, but it is way too much for a hamburger.  We just make our own if we get in the mood.

Of course my wife is the worlds biggest cheapskate. ;)

I'm going to tell on you!

So, J, what's your home recipe?
  •  

V M

What I can't believe is the price of hamburger meat at the store these days  :P 
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

peky

•