News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Alternative to Spironlactone in USA?

Started by JennJenn, September 01, 2017, 09:55:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizK

Quote from: Antonia J on September 07, 2017, 05:59:09 AM
I can't take Spiro, and my endo has me using Lupron as an alternative (in the USA, btw). It works very differently from Spiro, but essentially has the same outcome. Lupron halts the testes from making T. It's very expensive, which is why Spiro is the first choice. Lupron is most often used in pre-adolescent trans children to delay puberty. As a 46 yr old trans-woman, I am using it effectvely.

Also, I use finasteride. This does not do the same as either Spiro or Lupron. It blocks DHT, not T. The upside is that you will not lose the hair on your head on finasteride, but the downside is that your body hair will not thin and you may not get fat redistribution at a more moderate pace (and other changes that a T blocker will cause), until your E sufficiently inhibits your T production. My endo explained that E alone, without Spriro or Lupron, would probably stretch the changes I would see from a T blocker from 1-2 years to 3-5 years. However, he also put in a big qualifier that everyone's bodies respond differently, which is why we have our blood levels checked.

Good luck! I would suggest talking to your endo about Lupron as a Spriro alternative. Be safe :)

Dear Antonia J

Welcome to Susan's

You are dead right everyone's bodies do respond differently and it is always good to keep an eye on what is going on.

Please feel free to drop by our Introduction Forum and tell us a little more about yourself. 

A Cautionary Note:
This is a public forum so please remember when posting that The Internet Never Forgets, and the various web crawlers and archival sites out there may retain information that you post.

We cannot ensure that any information you share on the site will be protected from public view and/or copying or reproduction. This warning is also listed in the Terms of Service listed below.

If you give out personal information on Susan's you are responsible for any consequence.

I also want to share some links with you. They include helpful information and the rules that govern the site.  It is important for your enjoyment of the site to take a moment to go through them

Things that you should read

Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •