Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Transsexuals and Tattoos

Started by Renae.Lupini, May 25, 2007, 11:50:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeannette

Tats can be beautiful or hideous... some are real "works of art" whereas others have literally been a "waste of skin."  I think that people change all throughout their lives and they may regret the dragon they put on their back or the butterfly they put on their belly especially after a decade or two worth of sagging skin.
  •  

Christo

damn whats wrong with tattoos ladies?  :( I got one on my back and gettin' another one next tuesday.  there cool & u gotta dance :icon_dance:
  •  

katia

::)

my opinion?

i never thought treating your body like a bathroom stall and covering it with graffiti did anything but make people look cheap. a way of advertising to the world, "hey, i don't make good decisions without adult supervision!"
there's one exception though, getting the logo of your military unit on your arm has a purpose, if you think it's likely you'll be killed in combat.  but seriously, more often than not, the impression is negative. why not just try henna tattoo? this lasts for almost a week and when it is gone, you can try another one. this way,  you won't have to deal with the problems on how to get rid of your tattoos that are indelible especially when you're already a "grandparent".

•  

Renae.Lupini

I had a conversation last week with a friend about our generation and when we are all old and in nursing homes. Tattoos, piercings, and other body modifications are so prevalent in our society that when we all get to social security age we are going to be hard core looking grandparents. What little kid is going mess with a grandma who has a tongue piercing? :)
  •  

Dorothy

Your body is your temple.   if you are going to profane it do it with style and good taste. ;)
  •  

GQPAT

Quote from: Pia on May 27, 2007, 10:49:49 AM
Your body is your temple.   if you are going to profane it do it with style and good taste. ;)

See I agree with that statement and I dont as well because I am vegetarian so I believe that my (internal) body is my temple in the sense of what I put into it for nourishment!  Now, as for the outside I think of my body as my canvas (in terms of tattoos/piercings) and my sculpture (in terms of physical transitioning)!  So there you have it, temple, canvas, & sculpture all wrapped up in skin!

For the record I have three tattoos but once I aquire more money I will be getting 3/4 length sleeves, knee-to-ankle sleeves, and a backpiece!  See, I'd rather pay 1000s of dollars to have art on my body that I can see anytime i want (ok well some need a mirror) than pay 1000s of dollars for art to hang in my living room!

Just my 0.03$

xoxo
Patty
  •  

Butterfly

Quote from: Butterfly on May 22, 2007, 11:22:28 AM
I like tats on men but it really depends what they are, though Id like to say Id date someone for their personality, humour blah blah blah. Im not against either way, however since I look at them all day I cant date anyone with lousy artwork.  It will just bug me until I fix it, totally ruins a relationship when all I can look at is the lousy tribal on their arm done by joe blo down the road.  That and everyone always presumes you did their work being an artist and all.
I dont like tats on women though because they will all merge in a hideous mess of inky colour, and names ... what is that about?  Plus we are going to have loads of old ladies with tattoos everywhere in a few years down the road. ~laugh~

;)
  •  

Doc

Quote from: charlotteNH on May 26, 2007, 10:13:03 AM
I also got a tattoo on my shoulder pre-transition that I would love to cover up with something new.  I don't know if it is even possible at this point because the artist went to deep and it is scar tissue I believe.  I may just use tattoo cover if that is my only option.

Tattoists who do cover-ups can do wonderful things, including cover-ups that seem to do the impossible, like cover a dark colour with a light one. You'll have to ask and be flexible about the design, though. And if it really is scarred, it'll always show as a patch of a different, shiny texture. Though probably if you have it removed by the method where they put you under and sand your skin off then it'll be proper gone.
  •  

Steph

Hypocrites.

Why do we not treat those who are different and have different tastes the same way we as TS/CD/TV etc. want to be treated - with respect and dignity.

Hmmmm
Quote"hey, i don't make good decisions without adult supervision!"
I guess that's why I needed my two letters from therapists diagnosing and making recommendations to the surgeon.  It's all quite clear now.

Steph
  •  

Suzy

Quote from: Steph on May 29, 2007, 10:30:31 PM
Hypocrites.

Gee Steph, next time tell us how you really feel.  Stop beating around the bush, please.

BTW, I've always been curious about what designs you have.  If you don't feel like you can share I understand but I really am curious.

You look better and better as the days go by.  Hang in there girlfriend!

Kristi
  •  

Kimberly

I was going to bitch, but <expletive> I agree with you Steph.

Personally I think a highly decorated body CAN be quite attractive, but it totally depends on what, the colors used and the skill involved. *shrug* That,more than any other reason is why I am still a blank slate. What I want is very intricate.

I don't have any tattoos, although I might end up with one, (or more) at some point. There are a few things which would be very symbolic to me, that would be 'worth while', in my opinion of course. An if (figurative) you don't like it... well, I am not doing this for you anyway ;)
  •  

Thundra

I don't know what tatoo's have to do with being trans-anything, but I love tats.
People spend a ton of $$$ to get them, and they are a legitimate artform.
Has nothing to do with male or female either. It has to do with that person expressing themselves, which is the highest calling of artwork. To capture a moment in time is a glorious thing.
  •  

Steph

Quote from: Thundra on May 30, 2007, 12:18:36 AM
I don't know what tatoo's have to do with being trans-anything, but I love tats.
People spend a ton of $$$ to get them, and they are a legitimate artform.
Has nothing to do with male or female either. It has to do with that person expressing themselves, which is the highest calling of artwork. To capture a moment in time is a glorious thing.

I have to agree Thundra, different people, different ideas, different tats, and I'm not sure if there is a link between those who are of the TG community and tats.

And Kristi mine are of oriental dragons.  Three of them, one covers my right side one covers my left chest and one covers my back.

Steph
Quote from: Kimberly on May 29, 2007, 11:16:05 PM
I was going to bitch, but <expletive> I agree with you Steph.

Personally I think a highly decorated body CAN be quite attractive, but it totally depends on what, the colors used and the skill involved. *shrug* That,more than any other reason is why I am still a blank slate. What I want is very intricate.

I don't have any tattoos, although I might end up with one, (or more) at some point. There are a few things which would be very symbolic to me, that would be 'worth while', in my opinion of course. An if (figurative) you don't like it... well, I am not doing this for you anyway ;)

Tattoos are definitely a personal choice, just one of the choices that we make throughout our lives.  Mine are very important to me.  The tattoo on my right side consists of a dragon encicling and protecting a large delicate butterfly, who is resting on large flowers representing inner beauty.  Oriental dragons are very significant and symbolic.

Steph
  •