Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Yeson voice feminization surgery

Started by Jennygirl, April 22, 2013, 06:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shantel

Quote from: Jennygirl on May 18, 2013, 04:28:07 PM

She touched on her general lack of knowledge about fashion and makeup, and she also said some nice things about how I had made such big strides in 5 months time and was now probably "better" than her in both regards.

Uh-huh I suspected that might be what it was all about! It's great that you both have it resolved amicably.

Hang in there, you're probably going to be fine. No coughing now!
  •  

kyh

That's really great that you're closer with your friend now. I'm really happy you guys worked things out!

And I really really really hope that you won't have to get the operation over again. :( *fingers crossed*
  •  

Jennygirl

Quote from: kyh on May 18, 2013, 07:34:19 PM
That's really great that you're closer with your friend now. I'm really happy you guys worked things out!

And I really really really hope that you won't have to get the operation over again. :( *fingers crossed*

Thanks shantel and kyh! Yeah breathing sighs of relief over here with my friend!

As far as my recovery... I have a feeling it's the tickle of nerves reconnecting or just healing in general / my tissue getting used to that permanent suture. They said only worry if there was pain after a moment of stress like a hard cough- which I have not had at all. Still I'm a huge worrier when it comes to anything surgical. I always get super antsy when it comes to recovery. "am I okay??? Am I okay?? Is this normal???" ;)
  •  

Rowan Rue

"tickling or itching means it's healing" is the phrase I've heard used in regards to such things.
I hate that feeling of having something stuck in my throat though.  If I get the same surgery done I'll have to take time to practice ignoring that sensation by swallowing one end of a piece of string or something.

My personal blog is [url=http
  •  

Jennygirl

Quote from: Rowan Rue on May 18, 2013, 09:26:53 PM
"tickling or itching means it's healing" is the phrase I've heard used in regards to such things.
I hate that feeling of having something stuck in my throat though.  If I get the same surgery done I'll have to take time to practice ignoring that sensation by swallowing one end of a piece of string or something.

Lol.. Good idea Rowan :)

Yeah it's weird, it crops up out of nowhere and sometimes intensely. I have to go jumping up and down waving my hands in the air like I just ate something really spicy- and even that doesn't work all the time haha.

Luckily, for the time being, it seems to have subsided. So for now, I feel great about recovery. Then it will come back and I'll start worrying again. I'm becoming more and more confident everything is indeed fine though.
  •  

Jennygirl

Well Jessie got back to me, and I for sure have nothing to worry about.

She said everything will be fine as long as I don't make any noise while coughing or try to talk- which I haven't done at all. I guess it's the cessation of vibrating the vocal chords that matters the most... Makes sense. Now I feel silly for worrying so much, but at the same time I like to be better safe than sorry. Hopefully this experience log will be helpful for people who might do this surgery in the future.

Once again just so happy with the staff at Yeson.

3 more days! Going on a citywide tour tomorrow :)
  •  

Heather

Quote from: Jennygirl on May 17, 2013, 10:19:38 AM

Today it started to hit me that I will never hear my old voice ever again... And I could do nothing but smile from the inside out :D
I'm so happy for you Jenny! You have to do a YouTube video when you get done healing up so we can hear your new voice. Great thread btw!
  •  

misschievous

I agree with Heather you tube it :) Yes, you helped out alot because I wasn't sure whether to have a surgery or just take voice lessons. I am confident that when the time comes I will choose Yeson along with voice lessons. As far as your friend, I figured as much and glad to see you talked to her and everything worked out.

Have fun on your tour. :)
:icon_lips:

"Hands and Feet are all Alike, but Fear still Divides Us."

"Cry Freedom"
                                                                       DMB
  •  

MANDY GG

•  

kira21 ♡♡♡

Kiwi4Eva

I would be MOST aware of this type of surgery.  Of all the surgeries available today, this is the one with the least success as it is almost totally unpredictable...you can end up with no voice at all or a voice so unrealistic...

There are so many other options to this surgery, all are a solution to this very dangerous option.

Please...don't do it! :(
  •  

misschievous

I was under the impression that the procedure that Yeson does was the safest of the surgeries.

"Cry Freedom"
                                                                       DMB
  •  

Shantel

Quote from: Kiwi4Eva on May 19, 2013, 03:28:58 PM
I would be MOST aware of this type of surgery.  Of all the surgeries available today, this is the one with the least success as it is almost totally unpredictable...you can end up with no voice at all or a voice so unrealistic...

There are so many other options to this surgery, all are a solution to this very dangerous option.

So what makes you say something like that? Don't you think that she's done a lot of research first on who is reputed to be the best in this business and has read the reviews by those who have been there and done it?
  •  

Kate_H

First of all, she's already done it, and more power to her for it.  Secondly I've heard these naysaying things for many years from many quarters, all seem to "know someone who had it and it ruined their voice" - yet never seem to be able to explain further.  I'm sure many people said the same about FFS in the early days.  Techniques change, its an on-going thing.  There are at least a couple of very pro-active surgeons in this field.   Most of these views are based on cricothyroid approximation, which is deemed to be the most basic of surgeries in this field - yet still highly effective for many.  It's all about the expectations and commitment of the person in question.  If they've not managed to develop their voice at all in terms of resonance, then cricothyroid approximation will result in a higher pitched but still "manly" sounding voice.  At this point in my life I would've been happy for CTA surgery, as its just the pitch that I have thats lower than I'm comfortable with - but Yeson's technique appears to both raise pitch AND improve resonance - so I'm all for it as soon as I can afford it.
  •  

misschievous

Way to go Kate :) I too shall get this surgery done when I get the chance :)

"Cry Freedom"
                                                                       DMB
  •  

Jennygirl

Kiwi4eva- the surgery with Yeson is nothing like you describe. You are welcome to your opinion, but their procedure is the most predictable of its kind... As far ask risk, surgical procedure method, and outcome, VFS with Yeson is NOTHING like CTA or Dr Thomas' feminization laryngoplasty.

While CTA is non invasive and like Yeson does not incise the vocal folds, the outcome is very unpredictable as you describe in your post. Usually it just cuts the lower range of the voice or "limits" it. This results in a falsetto sound that can sometimes seem like an unrealistic sound. With Yeson, the sound of the voice retains its natural phonation and the pitch is not limited- rather, it is shifted. Additionally, a neck incision is required for CTA and with Yeson it is not- reducing the risk of infection and there is no blood hemorrhage.

With Dr Thomas' approach, the entire voice box is removed, the vocal chords are completely incised along with the neck, and the risk of infection is far greater because of it. The risk of having a complication is far greater with this procedure due to its invasive nature. Comparatively with Yeson, there are no skin incisions, the vocal chords are not incised, and the risk of having a bad outcome is nullified. That is, unless you repeatedly disobey the recovery instructions.

There is only one reason why I did this, because it is safe. There is no other surgery on the planet with such a non invasive approach and with such predictable results. The only complication associated its this surgery is having no improvement in one's pitch. Nobody is ever stuck with a hoarse or lack of a voice for the rest of their life. It's a very safe procedure and Dr Kim is the only one who can do it.

As far as resonance- Yeson's surgery does not modify it, because it is not changing the size of the vocal chamber. Dr Thomas' approach is the only one that makes an attempt to change the resonance of a voice without the person's motivation. So, like CTA or other procedures that thin/stretch/shorten then vocal chords, resonance training is still necessary. For me, I have already figured out how to modify my resonance prior to having this surgery and you would have to as well.

I hope this clears things up a bit.
  •  

Jennygirl

Also, I wanted to touch on the fact that during my examination, Dr Kim found that I had a few problems with my vocal chords. From years of trying to raise the pitch of my voice and straining it, I had developed an asymmetry with one vocal chord being thicker than the other one, as well as a hemorrhage on the opposite side from some kind of trauma... Likely this was due to me trying to belt or shout at a higher pitch. As a result, I had a vocal tremor that would have gotten worse over the years. It would have been harder and harder for me to properly phonate- at the same time slowly losing my upper range of frequencies. Even in my voice tests it was showing that it took me a lot more pressure / airflow for me to make a noise than it should.

Thankfully both of these problems were corrected during the surgery. So, if I strictly adhere to the recovery instructions, my voice quality should actually improve along with going up in pitch.
  •  

Jamie Marie

We can't wait to see hear what the result will be and the suspense is probably torture to you...........

Hope you enjoy the rest of your stay too

Best wishes,

Jamie
  •  

Jennygirl

Quote from: Jamie Marie on May 19, 2013, 04:44:35 PM
We can't wait to see hear what the result will be and the suspense is probably torture to you...........

Hope you enjoy the rest of your stay too

Best wishes,

Jamie

Thanks Jamie :D :D

I just woke up & now it's time for a shower. I'm going on a citywide tour today! Should be a lot of fun... I just hope they feed us! My appetite has been off the hook recently ;)

...and I'm off!
  •  

Kiwi4Eva

:( Sorry, I don't have permission to reply to personal posts...However, I looked into it for myself and did do quite a lot of research as I thought I wanted a new voice...There are some who are older than me who have had an enormous amount of work done on themselves and their bodies.  They have had the resources...If you look hard enough (at some of the more popular sites of those who have documented their procedures) you will see that this particular procedure is not one that is recommended.  Not trying to "freak you out" but inform you.  It just isn't that successful and a lot can go wrong.  There are other things you can do to improve your voice...hormones, coaching, and learning how to speak.  Not a lot of people do this either, but they should.

As for me...I have just left my voice alone and no one ever suggests I am not female (except sometimes on the phone)

I think I looked at Yoskarn?
  •