Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Yeson voice feminization surgery

Started by Jennygirl, April 22, 2013, 06:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abbyt89

Wow you sound amazing! I've been in contact with Yeson and I'm ready to schedule my surgery for December. You're results are really inspiring.

Did you end up going alone or with somebody else? Was it easy enough to get around without being able to speak and without knowing any Korean?

Quote from: Nicolette on June 19, 2013, 08:08:01 AM
You're voice post-op sounds great now. But your pre-op voice sounds like you had no voice therapy whatsoever. Did you attempt any voice therapy?

I could be wrong but I think the pre-op test has you speak at your "natural" pitch instead of using your feminine voice.

•  

Nicolette

Quote from: abbyt89 on June 19, 2013, 08:22:58 AM
Wow you sound amazing! I've been in contact with Yeson and I'm ready to schedule my surgery for December. You're results are really inspiring.

Did you end up going alone or with somebody else? Was it easy enough to get around without being able to speak and without knowing any Korean?

I could be wrong but I think the pre-op test has you speak at your "natural" pitch instead of using your feminine voice.

There comes a point at which one's "natural" voice/pitch becomes one's feminine voice and the muscle memory used to obtain the original pitch is all but forgotten. So it would be interesting how this would go for someone who went through speech therapy and now naturally speaks at 185 Hz. Would they have to relearn how to speak with a lower pitch? Otherwise they may speak ultrasonic post-op.
  •  

eh-lyssa

Holy crap! The before and after don't even sound like the same person. Amazing!
Alyssa
  •  

Theo

That is pretty darn amazing. Methinks I need to stop listening to it, otherwise I'll just forget to continue my voice practice and fly to Seoul... :p
  •  

Carrie Liz

Okay, now that was pretty darned inspiring. Especially since I feel like my natural speaking voice has a very similar base tone and resonance. That was pretty much what I was waiting for, because I was wondering from the very beginning of this topic whether your pre voice sounded like mine. I'm actually surprised how much it does. So needless to say, although I am still going to proceed with voice training, and I'll re-evaluate once I've been doing it for a bit longer, I am definitely considering this as an option now.
  •  

Jennygirl

Shantel, eh-lyssa, Theo- thanks for listening and for the feedback :) I could not be happier with my results already!! Still so much recovery and learning to go. I am very excited

Quote from: kyh on June 19, 2013, 04:56:41 AM
That is an amazing change! To be honest I expected your pre op voice to be much girlier than it was, because I looked at your profile and saw a beautiful girl, so I imagined a voice that was very feminine. But it was kind of boyish actually! Now though, so amazing! That is some fantastic work they've done, and you sound 100% female! <3

Thanks kyh! Yes I agree the regular voice I would always fall back into was very boyish. I had suuuuch a hard time breaking out of it no matter how much I would practice my feminine voice, which was in the fundamental range of about 180hz (my voice now is ~212hz though).

Quote from: Jamie D on June 19, 2013, 04:59:21 AM
This is so amazing, I'm speechless at the change.

It occurred to me, for passing, this may be more important than SRS, just as some consider FFS as more important.

It definitely feels that way. I can't describe to you the difference it has made for me out in public. It's already hard to imagine that not even 6 weeks ago my voice was nearly an octave lower. I am amazed how much I did not care about people clocking me.. Lol

Quote from: Nicolette on June 19, 2013, 08:08:01 AM
You're voice post-op sounds great now. But your pre-op voice sounds like you had no voice therapy whatsoever. Did you attempt any voice therapy?

There comes a point at which one's "natural" voice/pitch becomes one's feminine voice and the muscle memory used to obtain the original pitch is all but forgotten. So it would be interesting how this would go for someone who went through speech therapy and now naturally speaks at 185 Hz. Would they have to relearn how to speak with a lower pitch? Otherwise they may speak ultrasonic post-op.

Thanks Nicolette :) Yes I was doing self voice therapy with Kathe Perez' mp3 tutor. I practiced mostly every day for 30 mins or so in the car to/from work. I have some recordings of this time, and listening back I was still quite a far way off despite having resonance figured out and pitch scraping the bare minimum. It was a female voice though- I just did not have the courage to use it because I didn't have any confidence that it sounded legitimate.

In the end, I am SO glad I found Yeson and did the surgery. Upon examination there I found out that my vocal cords were damaged and continuing to train voice feminization without surgery would have landed me with even bigger problems. Surgery turned out to be absolutely the right choice for the health of my vocal chords- not just for the sound and confidence.

And to answer your question about muscle memory, I do not think that someone who normally used a higher pitch would have any issue adjusting. Your brain would already be accustomed to the higher pitch. It definitely took me some time to adjust from 140hz to ~212hz. For the first few days I kept trying to go back down, but the frequencies weren't there so my voice was cracking a lot and I sounded very hoarse. That was probably also partly due to the botox injection for vocal tremor, too.

Quote from: abbyt89 on June 19, 2013, 08:22:58 AM

That is great! Congratulations!! You will not be disappointed with the experience- I can almost guarantee it. They have a wonderful staff and Jessie the english patient coordinator is such a real sweetheart and happily answers all questions you may have during recovery. I had a lot of those ;)

I traveled with a good friend of mine and it wasn't hard at all not talking. I just typed in my smartphone notepad whenever I needed to communicate. We had to learn how to communicate like that, but it did not take long and thinking back it's almost like I had a voice the whole time.

And you are correct about the pre-op recording. That was my natural pitch, as relaxed as possible. They had me do a second recording in an attempt to use my feminine voice, but (like all other times I tried to use it in front of people) I panicked and pretty much the same voice came out. I think my fundamental frequency was only 20hz higher :/ I'm happy they used the regular voice though, that was the one I was stuck using in day to day life.

Quote from: Carrie Liz on June 19, 2013, 12:17:48 PM
Okay, now that was pretty darned inspiring. Especially since I feel like my natural speaking voice has a very similar base tone and resonance. That was pretty much what I was waiting for, because I was wondering from the very beginning of this topic whether your pre voice sounded like mine. I'm actually surprised how much it does. So needless to say, although I am still going to proceed with voice training, and I'll re-evaluate once I've been doing it for a bit longer, I am definitely considering this as an option now.

Keep in mind that I did do about 4 months of feminine voice practice on my own, despite not being able to break into it in public. I was fairly happy with how it sounded, even though it's nothing like what it is now. The biggest change I have noticed is my confidence to use what I've practiced. It seems like the pitch shift makes all the difference for allowing me to use what I have learned.
  •  

ZoeM

The talk of vocal cord damage is worrying. How do you tell? Could a physician diagnose it and see if it's actually damaged?
Don't lose who you are along the path to who you want to be.

•  

Jennygirl

Quote from: ZoeM on June 19, 2013, 12:48:35 PM
The talk of vocal cord damage is worrying. How do you tell? Could a physician diagnose it and see if it's actually damaged?

Any ENT with a laryngoscope should be able to diagnose it, I don't think a general physician would have the right tools.

An easy way to tell is if your voice has any wavering at all when you try to hold a steady pitch with no vibrato. With my voice, when I tried to hold a note steadily, the volume would slightly cut in and out. For some, the pitch wavers. For others, the volume wavers or completely cuts off sometimes during speech. That is a vocal tremor. Sometimes it's a nerve related thing and sometimes it is from trauma or damage and the body tries to overcompensate for the weakness on one side of the cords.

I always thought I just had phlegm in my throat but it turned out to be a vocal tremor due to trauma I have likely been living with for over a decade. I think the damage was probably done in high school when I was trying to belt out Tenor notes instead of Baritone where I should have been.

If you don't have any problem holding a note perfectly steady, you're probably fine! And if you're worried about future damage, just make sure you give yourself breaks when practicing. You should NEVER try to push your voice through hoarseness, dryness, or pain in the throat. You will not make it stronger. I almost learned that the hard way! I was still doing that crap thinking I was "fine" because of my decades of experience as a singer. Now I believe that singers are probably at a much higher risk.
  •  

ZoeM

Quote from: Jennygirl on June 19, 2013, 12:59:23 PM
Any ENT with a laryngoscope should be able to diagnose it, I don't think a general physician would have the right tools.

An easy way to tell is if your voice has any wavering at all when you try to hold a steady pitch with no vibrato. With my voice, when I tried to hold a note steadily, the volume would slightly cut in and out. For some, the pitch wavers. For others, the volume wavers or completely cuts off sometimes during speech. That is a vocal tremor. Sometimes it's a nerve related thing and sometimes it is from trauma or damage and the body tries to overcompensate for the weakness on one side of the cords.

I always thought I just had phlegm in my throat but it turned out to be a vocal tremor due to trauma I have likely been living with for over a decade. I think the damage was probably done in high school when I was trying to belt out Tenor notes instead of Baritone where I should have been.

If you don't have any problem holding a note perfectly steady, you're probably fine! And if you're worried about future damage, just make sure you give yourself breaks when practicing. You should NEVER try to push your voice through hoarseness, dryness, or pain in the throat. You will not make it stronger. I almost learned that the hard way! I was still doing that crap thinking I was "fine" because of my decades of experience as a singer. Now I believe that singers are probably at a much higher risk.

Ok, then - can you listen to this and tell me if it sounds wavery? *can't tell if her own voice shakes or if it's standard vibrations*
http://soundcloud.com/omicron123/sounds-from-wednesday/s-DYNlB
Don't lose who you are along the path to who you want to be.

•  

Jennygirl

Quote from: ZoeM on June 19, 2013, 01:08:12 PM
Ok, then - can you listen to this and tell me if it sounds wavery? *can't tell if her own voice shakes or if it's standard vibrations*

Well it's just my own untrained subjective assessment, but I don't hear any wavering like I had. It was more of a switch on/off with mine.

You're probably fine :D
  •  

Carrie Liz

Okay, I have to admit, that talk about vocal damage due to trying to force the voice higher is also worrying me now, because when my voice first changed I worked like hell to try and force it back into being able to sing in the falsetto range, and I pushed it REALLY hard, beyond what it was physically capable of, because I was so mortified when I lost my soprano notes. And my voice really hasn't had the same purity of tone since... it's a lot rougher and raspier. Okay, now I'm kind of worried... ':(
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: ZoeM on June 19, 2013, 01:08:12 PM

Zoe, just look at the steady line on the graph of your voice.  Almost a straight line!
  •  

ashley_thomas

This thread gives me so much hope!!!
  •  

BunnyBee

Still in awe of your new voice, Jenny.  I really hope I can find a way to get my voice where I'm happy with it without surgery, but it is def nice to know that there is an option that seems to work wonders if I lose that battle :)
  •  

Susan T

The results of you surgery are nothing short of spectacular. I don't know how much it cost you, but however much it was it was worth every penny.

kathyp

Wow! Thank you so much for following through with updates. Your voice change is amazing! I can totally relate to the stage fright of speaking in public, I just freeze and smile quite often and it sucks. I've been doing Perez's mp3's and she does a good job of teaching resonance and I think she's aware that most students are still stuck after the course ends because four weeks after you commence the course she sends out pitches to sign up for more advanced courses.
      I been interested in Yeson for awhile and plan on surgery with them in early fall, your reporting has wiped any doubts I may have had about whether they were the best, now I know.
     I do have two questions for you. What hotel do you stay at and are there lower priced accommodations
that would suffice?
Again, Thank You Very Much
Kathy

•  

jamielikesyou

Quote from: ashley_thomas on June 19, 2013, 10:41:45 PM
This thread gives me so much hope!!!

+1 to this! I'm speechless.  I have this thread bookmarked and a new piggybank ready to go :)
  •  

barbie

Quote from: kathyp on June 20, 2013, 04:31:42 PM
     I do have two questions for you. What hotel do you stay at and are there lower priced accommodations
that would suffice?
Again, Thank You Very Much
Kathy

Hotels in Seoul are generally expensive like other mega cities around the world. There are many 'motels' at Seoul area, and the price is between US $40-$50, but I would not recommend them for foreign tourists.

If anybody wants economic hotels, I would recommend 'hotel noble' located in the old town of Seoul. You can make reservation through the internet at: http://www.noblehotel.co.kr/?r=en The price is 70,000 won (about US $65) per night. It was once 50,000 won, but increased recently because of the increasing number of visitors.

A drawback is that you need to walk about 10 mins to reach a nearby subway, and to change the subway line at least once to reach Yeson. Within walking distance, there is 'Insadong', a popular destination for foreign tourists. Also there are two or three beautiful where you can walk around.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

smile_jma

Thats so amazing, OMG. If you don't mind, can you PM me with a ballpark range of the price you *might* have paid? Don't have to be too specific if you don't want. I live around Seoul, so I'm curious to know how much I ave to save at my low paying job.
  •  

Jennygirl

We paid around $1250 for two of us to stay at Hotel Prince Seoul for 10 nights in a double twin bed room. It is a GREAT location, right next the Myeongdong shopping district and the escalator for the subway system.

I've definitely been to a lot of cities that were waaay more expensive (in Europe). $125 a night for 2 people isn't bad at all. You could probably find cheaper, too. Also, cab faire there is so cheap it's nuts. Like $10 to get all the way across the entire city. If you had 3 people, it would be just as cheap as the subway.

I'm SO happy to see that this thread is helping spread the good word about Yeson's procedure :) Hopefully I can answer all the questions! But Jessie at Yeson is also wonderful, too.
  •