Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Yeson voice feminization surgery

Started by Jennygirl, April 22, 2013, 06:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abbyt89

I just woke up! Will give full update later when im less groggym first thing I did after waking up was coughed a lot and tries to talk lol, but they said im fine. :)
  •  

Jennygirl

Quote from: abbyt89 on August 13, 2013, 09:10:39 PM
I just woke up! Will give full update later when im less groggym first thing I did after waking up was coughed a lot and tries to talk lol, but they said im fine. :)

Lol. Great to hear that the surgery went well :)

Happy recovery-ing!

P.s. Let me know if you find a black zip up sweater in the recovery room... ;)
  •  

Kate_H

So excited for Jenny, Abby and anyone else progressing or planning to progress this procedure, it sounds like what we've all been waiting for FOREVER.  I can't wait to go myself, hopefully within a year, or less! \o/
  •  

abbyt89

Quote from: Kate_H on August 14, 2013, 04:29:53 AM
So excited for Jenny, Abby and anyone else progressing or planning to progress this procedure, it sounds like what we've all been waiting for FOREVER.  I can't wait to go myself, hopefully within a year, or less! \o/

Thank you so much, I'm excited for you too! I obviously haven't heard my results yet but I'm pretty optimistic :)

So I just got back to my hotel after having my surgery. I don't think things could have gone any smoother!

The procedure was quick and pretty much painless. I was out and awake again in under an hour, and aside from a slightly sore throat and a slightly numb tongue, I don't feel anything. It's really annoying not being able to really cough because I have a lot of phlegm, but they prescribed me a lot of expectorants and cough medicine to help with it.

I'm eating normal food, it just has to be soft and not spicy, so I cooked some eggs and noodles and just plan on hanging out in my hotel the rest of the night.

I was really surprised by how normal my vocal folds look when the doctor examined them prior to discharge. No blood or anything, and you can barely see the suture. Dr. Kim was very pleased with how they looked.

I can't wait until I can hear my new voice...7 days!
  •  

Jamie D

•  

barbie

Quote from: abbyt89 on August 14, 2013, 05:35:39 AM
Thank you so much, I'm excited for you too! I obviously haven't heard my results yet but I'm pretty optimistic :)

So I just got back to my hotel after having my surgery. I don't think things could have gone any smoother!

The procedure was quick and pretty much painless. I was out and awake again in under an hour, and aside from a slightly sore throat and a slightly numb tongue, I don't feel anything. It's really annoying not being able to really cough because I have a lot of phlegm, but they prescribed me a lot of expectorants and cough medicine to help with it.

I'm eating normal food, it just has to be soft and not spicy, so I cooked some eggs and noodles and just plan on hanging out in my hotel the rest of the night.

I was really surprised by how normal my vocal folds look when the doctor examined them prior to discharge. No blood or anything, and you can barely see the suture. Dr. Kim was very pleased with how they looked.

I can't wait until I can hear my new voice...7 days!

Abby,

Congrats. It seems the surgery went well, although the details will be available sooner or later.

At night, it becomes suddenly cool, and the power shortage crisis was over today. You may enjoy Seoul summer. Humidity will be still high, which is anyway good for your throat. I do not like a life in Seoul.

Keep in touch,

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

Jennygirl

Great to hear, Abby! Especially about your vocal cords being in good shape. I bet you will get the best possible result!

The numb tongue thing is weird and annoying. Dr. Kim told me it was from when they insert the apparatus that holds your throat open and makes the vocal cords accessible directly in a straight line. The tongue can get caught or pinched a little during the process. It took almost 2 weeks until it was completely gone, but by the second week I didn't notice it unless I felt for it. My guess is that tool also causes mild sore throat. The actual surgical area is miniscule.

Oh yeah, and how does it feel to be permanently rid of the male vocal range?? I remember that being an especially joyous realization even during the no-talk period :D

So glad that you are doing well and that your vocal cords are already looking great. Don't stop drinkin that water girl!
  •  

abbyt89

Quote from: barbie on August 14, 2013, 07:19:43 AM
Abby,

Congrats. It seems the surgery went well, although the details will be available sooner or later.

At night, it becomes suddenly cool, and the power shortage crisis was over today. You may enjoy Seoul summer. Humidity will be still high, which is anyway good for your throat. I do not like a life in Seoul.

Keep in touch,

barbie~~

Thank you! And yeah, the first full day I was here (Tuesday) was the worst! Yesterday it was very pleasant in the evening, hopefully it is just as nice today/tonight :)

Quote from: Jennygirl on August 14, 2013, 01:47:31 PM
Great to hear, Abby! Especially about your vocal cords being in good shape. I bet you will get the best possible result!

The numb tongue thing is weird and annoying. Dr. Kim told me it was from when they insert the apparatus that holds your throat open and makes the vocal cords accessible directly in a straight line. The tongue can get caught or pinched a little during the process. It took almost 2 weeks until it was completely gone, but by the second week I didn't notice it unless I felt for it. My guess is that tool also causes mild sore throat. The actual surgical area is miniscule.

Oh yeah, and how does it feel to be permanently rid of the male vocal range?? I remember that being an especially joyous realization even during the no-talk period :D

So glad that you are doing well and that your vocal cords are already looking great. Don't stop drinkin that water girl!

It feels weird!! I was just thinking that lol. Definitely a good weird though :) I'm so excited I feel like these next 6 days are going to go by soooo slowly.

I've been drinking tons of water! My hotel is really nice, they provide me with 4 bottles of water each day and I carry two around in my purse whenever I go anywhere :)

Today I feel a little bit drained...not sure from the medications or what, and my neck is a bit sore. But my throat feels pretty much back to normal and the medications are doing a great job of keeping the phlegm manageable and I haven't felt a need to cough. :)

I'm going to the COEX mall today to get some shopping done! I hope it's open, apparently it's Korean Independence Day so a lot of places might be closed.

•  

Jennygirl

Glad to hear you are getting enough water and that the meds are keeping your throat clear!

I'm sure the humidity in the air must help a lot, too!

I had a bit of an affirming experience just now. My friend who has no cell phone and only makes calls from a land-line (I know right?!) dialed the wrong number and thought for 5 min that he was talking to one of my good female friends. Apparently I pass as her over the phone! Lol. This was after coming back from a meeting with my gender therapist (who I haven't seen for months) and she was super blown away with my voice. She kept saying how this was the future and how excited she was- asked me all about the procedure and said she will for sure be recommending it to her colleagues.

I'd have to say that out of all the things I have done throughout my transition so far, the voice surgery has been by far the biggest and most life changing difference besides going full time. I may not pass allll the time but I don't care. I will always love the way I sound even to myself.
  •  

Charley Bea(EmeraldP)

Curious as to whether you still have to put on a voice a little(learning that myself) or if you don't need to anymore and just talk and it comes out female?

•  

Jennygirl

The best way for me to describe it is a little bit of both. Not only did I want to, I pretty much had to put on a voice that is in the female range because after the surgery I had no other option to comfortably make conversation.

There is a lot that goes into a voice to make it sound like a natural female. Pitch, what this surgery modifies, is just one of them. There is still resonance, pitch dynamics, cadence, word choice, phrasing, emotion, and a whole slew of other things that this surgery doesn't do and you have to learn on your own. After they modify the fundamental pitch, it is up to you to continue training your voice all the way to sounding completely female/passable. It seems way easier this way to me, though, because of two reasons: #1 voice automatically feels more natural in a higher range and #2 never being afraid to make the mistake of going back down into a male frequency range.

No voice surgery is going to make you sound female. If you already have a very feminine voice, then perhaps it totally will. But if you were like me with a very male pattern voice, it still takes a considerable amount of work to pass. It's just easier because it seems less like a search and more like a discovery.
  •  

kira21 ♡♡♡

Quote from: Jennygirl on August 15, 2013, 03:45:11 AM
It's just easier because it seems less like a search and more like a discovery.

You know when somebody says something that really sets your thoughts going ...

Nicolette

Quote from: EmeraldPerpugilliam on August 14, 2013, 10:50:12 PM
Curious as to whether you still have to put on a voice a little(learning that myself) or if you don't need to anymore and just talk and it comes out female?

I look at it this way. When I stopped 'putting on' a male voice, I started sounding much more female. Also, if one raises their pitch alone, it will sound 'off', and one is at risk of sounding like a prepubescent boy and not like a woman.
  •  

Jaelithe

What a lovely discovery!  I am certainly going to make a note of this, as face and voice are currently at the top of my list for potential surgeries depending on how everything else falls out in the coming year or two.

•  

abbyt89

Quote from: Jennygirl on August 15, 2013, 03:45:11 AM
It seems way easier this way to me, though, because of two reasons: #1 voice automatically feels more natural in a higher range and #2 never being afraid to make the mistake of going back down into a male frequency range.

This! This was the biggest thing for me. From doing voice therapy for about 5 months I developed a somewhat passable female voice but it was so so easy for me to slip back into my male range that it made it difficult/impossible to use it in public. The other voice surgeries try to do the whole shebang at a pretty crazy risk when all I really wanted was the peace of mind that no matter what I would be unable to speak in a male range. I knew going into this that it wouldn't fix everything with my voice and I'm perfectly fine with that. If this surgery wasn't available I wouldn't have done any voice surgery and would have just dealt with my voice the way it was. But after learning about this surgery and reading others' experiences I decided to do it as a comfort/quality of life thing.

So everything seems to be healing fine! I have no more pain at all, and while my tongue is still numb it's only a small part of it and I don't even notice it unless I focus on it.

I've been really good about not coughing but gosh I didn't realize how much I involuntarily make noise or talk to myself when I'm alone lol. :( On three occasions I've caught myself trying to make a noise, like saying "aww" when I saw a picture of a really cute kitten or try to hum when one of my favorite songs started playing. Nothing really came out and it didn't hurt and I'm certainly not straining anything, so I really hope it didn't mess anything up since it hasn't even been 48 hours. :( I imagine I'm fine and just worrying about it too much but I'm trying really, really hard to focus on not making any noises.

It was still nice and hot in Seoul today (heat index got up to almost 110!) so I went to a big mall/aquarium and walked around and did some shopping. It was Korean Independance Day so a lot of people were off work and it was really crowded. Tomorrow I'm going on a full day city tour that Jessie at Yeson scheduled for me as part of the price of the surgery package.

5 more days until my post-op checkup and test drive of the new voice!!
  •  

RachelH

Can I just say a big thankyou to both Abby and Jenny for such  a detailed and and amazing report on Yeson's.  I hope you both continue to heal, and your voices become as beautiful as you both are! 

I've added this to my list of things I will be doing next year, when I can book time off work.  I've been looking into VFS for over 6 months and wanted to have it but was very scared of the very high risks. My reasons are exactly the same I want the security of never going into the male range again.

I'll be watching eagerly as you both heal :)

•  

Shantel

Congrats to you Abby and to Jenny, this isn't something that I'll ever do but I'm happy for you both because you will be able to reach your fullest potential and always be fully passable as two rather foxy looking women, we are all pleased for you both. The women that follow your footsteps would probably never have known had you not shared your experiences with them.
  •  

Jennygirl

Sooo happy to be able to help by sharing experiences! Thank you for the kindness and appreciation :D

Abby I'm sure you're fine. I nearly tried to yell to get my friend's attention 3 days post op, then I proceeded to freak out thinking I might have messed something up. I texted Jessie immediately and she said as long as I felt no pain I would be totally fine. I also found out that over ten years and the hundreds of times Dr. Kim has performed this surgery, only one person has messed up their recovery badly enough to warrant doing the procedure over again due to a torn suture (apparently they tried to yell very loudly). Sorry to make you even think about it, but that was definitely a statistic that eased my mind!

So, if you have no pain in your throat I'm sure you are a-okay!

Keep healing well, we are all super excited to hear that beautiful voice!

Thanks again Jaelithe, Rachel, and Shan for the really kind words :)
  •  

abbyt89

Quote from: Jennygirl on May 19, 2013, 04:37:17 PM
Also, I wanted to touch on the fact that during my examination, Dr Kim found that I had a few problems with my vocal chords. From years of trying to raise the pitch of my voice and straining it, I had developed an asymmetry with one vocal chord being thicker than the other one, as well as a hemorrhage on the opposite side from some kind of trauma... Likely this was due to me trying to belt or shout at a higher pitch. As a result, I had a vocal tremor that would have gotten worse over the years. It would have been harder and harder for me to properly phonate- at the same time slowly losing my upper range of frequencies. Even in my voice tests it was showing that it took me a lot more pressure / airflow for me to make a noise than it should.

Thankfully both of these problems were corrected during the surgery. So, if I strictly adhere to the recovery instructions, my voice quality should actually improve along with going up in pitch.

Jenny I know this is from way back but I've been re-reading your posts from right after surgery. I had the same issues with my vocal folds - there was a slight imbalance that was corrected during surgery and a slight tremor that he said medication would help. Also during the examination he found I had the same issue with having to use more pressure and energy to speak, likely related to the imbalances.

You said he mentioned that medication alone would deal with the tremor but then you mentioned you couldn't speak for another week after the initial period because of botox. So Dr. Kim ended up going that route instead of just medication? For me he didn't do the Botox, or at least didn't mention it if he did.
  •  

abbyt89

Quote from: RachelH on August 15, 2013, 01:09:48 PM
Can I just say a big thankyou to both Abby and Jenny for such  a detailed and and amazing report on Yeson's.  I hope you both continue to heal, and your voices become as beautiful as you both are! 

I've added this to my list of things I will be doing next year, when I can book time off work.  I've been looking into VFS for over 6 months and wanted to have it but was very scared of the very high risks. My reasons are exactly the same I want the security of never going into the male range again.

I'll be watching eagerly as you both heal :)

Thank you but really Jenny is the one that deserves all the credit here! She was the brave one who decided to go into it a lot more blindly than myself!! It wasn't for her I wouldn't be here!
  •