Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Yeson voice feminization surgery

Started by Jennygirl, April 22, 2013, 06:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shantel

Quote from: abbyt89 on August 25, 2013, 03:17:24 AM
Oh my gosh Burning Man is something that is definitely on my bucket list...I hope you have a great time Jenny!

So it's been 11 days since my surgery and my pitch has continued to go up a bit. Here's another small recording (this time two words!!) - I was saying good morning to my two cats (lol I know, I know...)

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1srBlbY3UUN

Average pitch was 211hz and the range was 177-257hz.

I really can't wait until I start my vocal exercises and can work in my resonance training into my new voice, I think it's going to sound great in a month or two!

Wow, big change already Abby!
  •  

abbyt89

Today I am two weeks post-op and the strength of my voice has come back a lot and it's taking much less effort to actually speak.

Here are two clips of me saying hi to my cat Buddy.

The first one is me just talking without thinking about pitch at all. The average pitch is 180hz: http://vocaroo.com/i/s1E2rTk4S7Gg

And here is one where I'm raising the pitch, but not with any real effort. The average is 225hz, which is in the female range and required a LOT of effort for me to do prior to the surgery. http://vocaroo.com/i/s0GPmXpiz6SR

As a reminder my normal speaking voice was 125hz and my comfortable female voice was 170hz before surgery. I could do over 200hz but not for any length of time and it caused a lot of strain.
  •  

barbie

Quote from: abbyt89 on August 28, 2013, 06:27:09 PM
Today I am two weeks post-op and the strength of my voice has come back a lot and it's taking much less effort to actually speak.

Here are two clips of me saying hi to my cat Buddy.

The first one is me just talking without thinking about pitch at all. The average pitch is 180hz: http://vocaroo.com/i/s1E2rTk4S7Gg

Yes. It sounds complete female voice to me. I am looking forward to listening you reading several sentences.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: abbyt89 on August 21, 2013, 06:51:33 AM
My appointment went great! Dr. Kim said everything is healing fine and decided that botox was not necessary. So I can now say a few words a day for the next three weeks!

Here is a voice recording of me saying "hello". This is just speaking normally without trying to raise pitch and without focusing on resonance: http://vocaroo.com/i/s07wITcCLBy1

It sounds pretty androgynous to me (I'm guessing that I'm at maybe 180hz there) but I'm very happy considering how weak my voice is and the fact that I'm only one week post op. The surgeon said that over the next 6-12 months my pitch will slowly rise as the scar tissue heals and tightens.

This is good news that you have healed so well.  As Jenny pointed out, you will be able to m ore easily work on your pitch and range now.  Can't wait for your 1-month and 6-month recordings!

EDIT:  Let me add a suggestion though.  Speak naturally. 
Don't read from text (that always sounds unnatural to me).
The female voice cannot really be recognized from two-word snippets.

I would like you to tell me, in your own words, about what Korea is like.
  •  

collettemichelle

First things first:-A humungous thank you to Jennygirl for starting this thread and for being so open about her experiences.Reading through this has been more than eye opening and encouraging.

This reply is in reference to Lena from Kiev's valid point expressing concern that this procedure may make future intubation (insertion of a breathing tube for surgery) more difficult and/or higher risk.
I posed the question regarding intubation of a patient who has undergone this procedure previously to one the Pulmonologist/Intensivist
on my ICU. He stated that as long as the anesthesiologist was aware then there should be no increased risk nor difficulty.On the proviso that there isn't an increased amount of scaring on the vocal cords themselves.The only adjustment may be to use a smaller endotracheal tube.

This would therefore imply that- because the Yeson clinic technique decreases the chance of scaring of the vocal cords- undergoing this procedure at the Yeson clinic would reduce the risks for those of us with other procedures/surgeries planned.

Again Jennygirl...Thank You very much.
"It was on that road and at that hour that I first became aware of my own self, experienced an inexpressible state of grace, and felt one with the first breath of air that stirred, the first bird, and the sun so newly born that it still looked not quite round."
    Sidonie-Gabrielle Colette
  •  

Lena from Kiev

Quote from: Glitterfly on September 02, 2013, 12:33:42 AMI looked into the "FEMLAR" procedure also mentioned here and that did NOT seem permanent at all...
FEMLAR is definitely permanent. What Yeson does is permanent if you don't talk for how long they tell you (give the stitch time to heal). CTA (crico-thyroid approximation) is not permanent because vocal cords stretch out.

Remember that what Yeson does is not enough: you need to learn to change resonance too. Learn that first. Quite possibly, you'll find that it's enough.
  •  

LilDevilOfPrada

I curious i red the website but I didnt see any mention if doing a thractal(sigh i forgot how to spell it) shave before or after would effect the results.
Just curious as my adams apple is like a my cats tail pointy and noticable.Note shes a japanese bob tail cute as hell she is.
Awww no my little kitten gif site is gone :( sad.

2 Febuary 2011/13 June 2011 hrt began
  •  

LilDevilOfPrada

Quote from: Glitterfly on September 02, 2013, 10:00:17 PM
Hey :)

I received information that Yeson does NOT do tracheal shave. So sorry ^^

You misunderstood me but thank you for the reply. I was asking weather tracheal shave will interfer with his surgerys outcome.

•  

Jamie D

Quote from: LilDevilOfPrada on September 03, 2013, 02:27:50 AM
You misunderstood me but thank you for the reply. I was asking weather tracheal shave will interfer with his surgerys outcome.

Jennygirl had a tracheal shave with Dr. Ousterhout prior to going to Yeson.
  •  

Shantel

Quote from: Glitterfly on September 03, 2013, 02:52:36 AM
Glad he didn't cut her head off...

Yes such a pretty head and squarely placed on her shoulders as well!
  •  

LilDevilOfPrada

Quote from: Glitterfly on September 03, 2013, 02:37:30 AM
Oh so sorry :o how did I misread your post, so silly of me~! Yes, tracheal shave can affect the results, which is why it would be good to have your trachea shaved before this surgery. That way it won't ruin the results you get from this surgery afterwards ^^

^^ thanks this is after all important for someone like me who has a large adams apple.

•  

Carrie Liz

Jennygirl,

It's been a while since you've posted, and I think I recall a lot of people being curious about singing on this tread, (myself included,) so I'm kind of curious how this surgery affects your singing voice.

What's the experience like in that regard once the surgery has healed? Do you have to relearn where all of the notes are? Do you have to relearn the same control or not? How does it affect your tone? Does your singing sound any more female, or does it just sound more like falsetto? Does it make it more shrill, or is it still rich?

I'm just curious. I've been itching to know this for quite a while.

•  

Jennygirl

My lovelies... so sorry I have been M.I.A.! I was at burning man for the past week or so .. which was GREAT by the way! I received the most affirming chain of "passing" experiences I have had since beginning transition. Even without really being able to use makeup in such a hot dusty environment, I passed better than ever. Out of the 4 cuties I ended up having some "facetime" with, not one of them believed me at first when I told them I was trans (nor did they care at all!). I know that my voice was a big part of that ;)

Aanyway! It's good to be back!

Carrie- My singing voice is still definitely not even close to what it was before the surgery, but bear in mind I used to be able to sing my heart out as a baritone ;) Also, I haven't been trying to sing at all. They say that you can resume singing somewhere around 4-6 months and I'm not even to the 4 months mark yet. Honestly, I think it will take even longer than 6 to get my singing voice back to where it was in terms of clarity and power. Maybe more than a year. If singing is your career or a HUGE part of your livelihood, I can't yet recommend that this surgery is a good idea. As far as where my chest/head voice intersects, it seems like it's still in close to the same point... Maybe a few semitones higher. My voice sure has changed, though- "falsetto" sounds way different especially in the mid range. And, I'm still noticing improvements on almost a weekly basis! I know if it was a big deal to me and I worked on it, I would probably get there a lot sooner.

About the trach shave- they actually recommend against it because it can weaken the voice box if done improperly (taking too much cartilage away). Basically if you get a trach shave and it messes with your voice or makes it lower, it will impede your results from this surgery. I had mine done about 3 months pre-op and had no such symptoms, my voice seemed to stay exactly the same. I was adamant with Dr. Outserhout about not taking away too much of the thyroid cartilage because my biggest fear was having it negatively impact my voice. Regardless, when I found Yeson, I was very concerned about having had a tracheal shave. I asked Jessie and she told me if it did not affect my voice I would be fine- they have operated on numerous patients who have undergone thyroid cartilage reduction with a normal outcome. It turns out she was right- I am VERY happy with my results, and my topmost frequency capabilities have actually increased from 523hz to 660hz :D :D

If you are going to need a trach shave, I would say get it done as soon as possible by a reputable surgeon who displays an acute attention to detail when it comes to protecting the voice. I would also ask the potential surgeon how many times they have performed the procedure and how many times out of that the patient has reported any voice changes post-op. I think that is the only thing besides being careless during recovery that could possibly negatively affect the outcome of this surgery.

Hope that helps! And I'll say it again- it's great to be back :)
  •  

Carrie Liz

Okay, thank you Jenny.

No, singing isn't part of my career or anything, but it's definitely one of the things that I do the most often, just on my own in my room, for personal enjoyment. And I'm just curious about it because ever since I lost my unchanged treble singing voice at about age 16, I've been kind of desperate to get it back.

Honestly, if the surgery messed with my singing voice to the point that it didn't sound good anymore, I don't think I'd do it. Wheras if it makes the falsetto sound better, I'd do it in a heartbeat. That's why I was asking. It's not because singing is my livelihood, it's just because it's something that brings me a GREAT deal of personal enjoyment, and I'd be devastated if this surgery messed with it.

Just trying to weigh all of the options and all of the concerns and possible consequences before I consider it.
  •  

Jennygirl

Quote from: Carrie Liz on September 04, 2013, 09:17:03 AM
Okay, thank you Jenny.

No, singing isn't part of my career or anything, but it's definitely one of the things that I do the most often, just on my own in my room, for personal enjoyment. And I'm just curious about it because ever since I lost my unchanged treble singing voice at about age 16, I've been kind of desperate to get it back.

Honestly, if the surgery messed with my singing voice to the point that it didn't sound good anymore, I don't think I'd do it. Wheras if it makes the falsetto sound better, I'd do it in a heartbeat. That's why I was asking. It's not because singing is my livelihood, it's just because it's something that brings me a GREAT deal of personal enjoyment, and I'd be devastated if this surgery messed with it.

Just trying to weigh all of the options and all of the concerns and possible consequences before I consider it.

For sure! I feel similarly to you, but my speaking voice is way more important to me at this point in my life. When I was younger, I was much more of an active singer.

As time goes on I am sure I will be working on getting it back and then some ;) I'll be sure to keep you updated!
  •  

abbyt89

Yay Jennygirl's back, I'm glad you had a great time at burning man!!

I'm just over 3 weeks post op and the strength of my voice has improved a ton.

Today I read the first few sentences of the rainbow passage and was a bit disappointed to see that my natural speaking pitch has only gone up 25hz to 150hz. I knew going into it that it could take 3-6 months for the voice to fully heal and for you to see your final pitch, so I don't mind that it's so low now, I just hope this doesn't mean that I won't see anywhere near the average of 75hz.

That being said, it's also possible that mentally I'm kind of stuck in this lower register since I am so used to the voice I've had. I say this because my voice doesn't allow me to go much lower than 150hz. The lowest noise I can eek out is 115hz, where as before surgery I could go way way lower than my 125hz speaking voice. So looking at my range there is a ton of room above my natural speaking voice and just a little bit below it, rather than it being closer to the middle.

So I also did a recording of me reading part of the rainbow passage but trying to increase my pitch comfortably. It ended up being 190hz. Before surgery my comfortable feminine voice was 170hz. How feminine does this sound to you guys?

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0oz79JCGonF

Oh I do want to say that things like clearing my throat and even the few times I've allowed myself to laugh have feminized greatly! I'm really happy with that.
  •  

Shantel

Quote from: abbyt89 on September 06, 2013, 09:45:24 AM
How feminine does this sound to you guys?

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0oz79JCGonF

Oh I do want to say that things like clearing my throat and even the few times I've allowed myself to laugh have feminized greatly! I'm really happy with that.

Good Lord Abby, you sound terrific!
  •  

abbyt89

Quote from: Shantel on September 06, 2013, 10:01:01 AM
Good Lord Abby, you sound terrific!

I hope you're not just saying that to be nice!!!

Here's one a little bit higher, just over 200hz: http://vocaroo.com/i/s16DE97YIfcs

This is starting to sound a little bit forced maybe? Not sure which one I think sounds more feminine.
  •  

Shantel

Quote from: abbyt89 on September 06, 2013, 10:04:14 AM
I hope you're not just saying that to be nice!!!

Here's one a little bit higher, just over 200hz: http://vocaroo.com/i/s16DE97YIfcs

This is starting to sound a little bit forced maybe? Not sure which one I think sounds more feminine.

No, both recordings are terrific! Rather than BS someone and saying things just to be nice I don't respond to posts when I think someone has done a face plant or is delusional. I think you have a wonderful sounding woman's voice Abby! Congratulations!!  :eusa_clap:
  •  

abbyt89

Quote from: Shantel on September 06, 2013, 10:11:44 AM
No, both recordings are terrific! Rather than BS someone and saying things just to be nice I don't respond to posts when I think someone has done a face plant or is delusional. I think you have a wonderful sounding woman's voice Abby! Congratulations!!  :eusa_clap:

Well thank you very much! :D
  •