Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Yeson voice feminization surgery

Started by Jennygirl, April 22, 2013, 06:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anjaq

I already told some people at work that I have voice issues and I am going to therapy regularly. I did not tell them about my history. It has been 15 years for me now. If I should go for a VFS, I would say that my voice issues have gotten worse and I need to get a treatment for that. I do not expect too much change in the voice from a VFS - not enough to sound completely different, just a bit more feminine version of my current voice with a bit more pitch but probably more a pitch taht I sometimes use now anyways if I watch it. The difference would be that I dont have days where the voice goes down too much. Of course if you go from a low voice to a high one it is harder to explain but  as you said, your coworkers and others alreday do not question the voice, so I guess most differnce will be in how easy it is to generate that voice. It may not even sound that differently in terms of pitch after VFS if you compare your pre-op feminized elevated voice with the post op relaxed voice.

•  

AshleyL

Congratulations on your surgery!  I was actually considering the same explanation, either polyps or nodes of some sort.  I'm not entirely sure how to broach the subject, or even if I should until after the procedure and recovery.

The management is aware and supportive of my intentions, so getting the time off will not be a problem (yay for benefits!).  In regards to the pitch of my voice and passing, I think I average around 170 Hz when speaking normally, and can reach about 220 or so with effort before breaking into falsetto, so I think there will be a noticeable change in pitch.  Even, so, every time I hear my recorded voice I have to wonder why people don't clock me every time I open my mouth.

I've already found an SLP and voice coach to help me after recovery, and I'm actually going to have a few appointments before to see if she can help me out with the overall quality of my voice before the procedure to perhaps get a head start on some exercises.

It's kind of funny, I did the whole voice coaching thing almost 10 years ago when I first started transitioning.  It helped, to an extent, but my benefits ran out and I had other things I needed to save money for.  Now that all of the expensive surgeries are out of the way (not including Yeson) it's almost like I'm retracing my steps all over again.

Ashley
  •  

Charlotte

Hello Ashley,
It's nice to hear from another old-timer.  :D  :) I transitioned about 16 years ago and I'm stealth and yet here I am having VFS in a couple of weeks.

I've decided that I'm not telling anyone that I'm having VFS. I just don't want to mention the word 'surgery' because even if I lie and say that it's for nodules (my original plan) I worry that someone might be able to connect the dots IYSWIM.
My voice moves around a lot anyway. When I'm talking normally it's between 115-140Hz but if I really have to I can get it to 200Hz. So I think people are used to me having an odd voice. I'm also not expected a huge change post-surgey. Obviously if I end up sounding like Jenny that would be incredible and then I'd very happily deal with awkward questions!
  •  

anjaq

Quote from: AshleyL on May 27, 2014, 09:49:02 AM
It's kind of funny, I did the whole voice coaching thing almost 10 years ago when I first started transitioning.  It helped, to an extent, but my benefits ran out and I had other things I needed to save money for.  Now that all of the expensive surgeries are out of the way (not including Yeson) it's almost like I'm retracing my steps all over again.
Totally! I call it either "transition 2.0" or "transition reloaded" ;)
For me, basically all major steps were done with 14 years ago. Now some things started out to not go that well anymore and I am retracing some issues, getting hormone therapy fixed to actually work, and I found out on the way that nowadays there are actually things like FFS and VFS which are viable options and not far fetched attempts for the more desparate people. So I am actually reconsidereing a lot. I have done now 20 hours of voice therapy to get my voice in shape - it was quite affected of speaking 16 years in a bad voice, so it can really help, especially to get rid of that breaking point at 220 Hz - it should not be that low, thats most likely something caused by not using your voice in a healthy manner.

What I wonder about explaining it away is - either plan it ahead with the others and say it is something that needs to be done - "why? your voice sounds fine to me?" - or go for it and explain it later in a way that says it was a sudden defect that had to be fixed surgically. The prior is weirder but gives others time to plan ahead for ones absence.

One has to explain something though - 4 weeks of no speaking, 2 of them in Korea and then another month of having a rather bad voice - unless you have a lot of vacation to spare, this is something thet needs explanations.

I find it soooo incredible that the majority of those considering this procedure here at Susans are "old timers", who transitioned a long time ago like me - 10, 15, even 29 years ago. Why is that?

•  

AshleyL

Well, I don't really consider myself an old timer *quite* yet!  I'm turning 36 this year, and I still feel very young, thank you very much =P

That said, it's interesting that you mentioned hormone therapy.  In my personal experience I really found that hormones did next to nothing for me, aside from some *very* mild development.  Nothing really shrunk, and nothing really grew.  I guess it doesn't help that I've always had that problem, gaining weight has been nigh impossible for me my entire life.  I know, I shouldn't be complaining, but when you're trying to develop some curves, it can be very frustrating.  I think my physician took a rather conservative approach, but I haven't really revisited it since (just taking a maintenance dose now).  Have you found it's made any difference?

I'm not entirely sure where my break is, I kind of rattled that number off the top of my head.  It's probably a bit higher than that, but not by too much.  I'll have to check again with the praat software when I get home.  But even so, at whatever frequency my break is at, my voice sounds very strained and not very melodic at all.  Hopefully the SPL can help out with that.

As for the sick leave, I think any kind of vocal surgery would require a period of non vocalization.  Unfortunately, in my line of work I'm speaking and communicating with people on a continual basis, so working is not an option during my recovery, so I'll be taking an extended sick leave for the entire duration.  I'm hoping that after 6-7 weeks I can ease myself back in to work.  We'll quite literally be playing it by ear, I imagine.

In terms of "old timers" opting for surgery, I imagine it is because we are at a point in our lives where we have enough capitol or credit  stored up to the point where it requires considerably less time and planning to get to the point where we can opt to have the procedure done, so a lot of us are 'early adopters'.
  •  

anjaq

Oh, I was not refering to "old timers" in the terms of age an thus also not financial abilities. I was thinking of "transition age" - I read over and over again that people have transitioned 10, 20 or more years ago and are just NOW after all these years considering going to Yesons. This is what puzzles me - I barely ever saw so many comments of people that transitioned that long ago who plan for surgery again compard to those who are more or less just at the point of transitioning.

I thknk you should get that numbers checked. I am sure the break is higher. You can try lip trills , its an easy exercise and then do glissandos with that. I got rid of my break in just a few sessions. But I guess if you have a voice therapist they will do that anyways. those trainings can really improve voice quality quite a bit. I am a bit disappointed by mine in terms of sounding more feminine, but she surely got my voice health back.

If I would opt for surgery, I would also take a sick leave. I cannot afford 4-6 weeks of vacation for this one event and in the job I am now at, I can do such a thing without being fired  ;)

Regarding Hormone therapy. I think this is offtopic for this thread but feel free to PM me so I can share my experiences with what I changed...

•  

Ducks

Quote from: anjaq on May 27, 2014, 02:36:34 PM
Oh, I was not referin gto "old timers" in the terms of age an thus also not financial abilities. I was thinkin gof "transition age" - I read over and over again that peopl ehave transitioned 10, 20 or more years ago and are just NOW considering going to Yesons. This is what puzzles me - I barely ever saw so many comments of people that transitioned tha tlong ago who plan for surgery again compard to those who are more or less just at the point of transitioning.
I fit this description.  I transitioned in 1988 and am considering Yeson surgery because I love to sing and want to get my singing voice back, and because my voice has always been something that wasn't quite right for my body, and having it fixed would make me feel better.  Ultimately it is only interesting because for so many years there was no option that didn't carry a huge risk of losing your voice altogether.  Yeson's approach may not be reversible, but the downside is really negligible compared to the other options that have been out there for the past 20 years.
  •  

AshleyL

It could be like what Ducks said.  From what I've read, the Yeson clinic has only really been performing this procedure since about 2007 (iirc) so before now it could probably have been considered a relatively new and unknown technique. 

Thanks to Jenny and everyone else who have so generously posted their results, Yeson's VSF is just now starting to become more widely known, and thus, many people who have been waiting for something like this to be developed or had simply resigned themselves to having a less than optimal voice are lining up to have it done?

Also, having such a procedure be performed endoscopically and being minimally invasive is a huge selling point for me.  I was lucky enough to not need to have any kind of tracheal shave done and less scarring is always better in my book.
  •  

AshleyL

So Anjaq you were correct, I was off by quite a bit.  I did a quick praat test with a lip trill and it looks like my break is around 330 Hz, but upon listening to it good lord is it ever cringe worthy!  ;D  I also verified that my normal speaking/reading range is around 170, though when relaxed/not paying attention it can often drop down to 140-150.
  •  

anjaq

Sounds similar to me. I have a break at 350 Hz I think, but I can now go over it after some voice training, mostly the lip trills. My voice average is probably about 150-170, but for some words or sentences it can go down to 140 or even ocassionaly to 130. If I push it a bit I can be at average of 190, but I think the key issue is not so much the average as the lowest sections. If I have a lot of melody, the average will be higher, but it does not help much if there are single words in between that are at 130 Hz - those are the ones that people pick up on and find them odd...
I guess this would be a benefit of glottoplasty - they would be gone...

•  

AshleyL

It sounds like we have very similar ranges.  I sometimes hit peaks in normal speaking over 200 Hz, but usually it's just part of my inflection and speech pattern.  It's nice to know that I have something of an average range, which hopefully will be given the go ahead for VSF. 

From reading over the forums, I do believe that I'm using the 'proper' larynx position; I recall using the 'swallow' technique mentioned on Lena's webpage to locate and learn to manipulate my larynx position.  I find when I'm speaking to patients I tend to resonate more in the front of mouth, but when I'm chatting with my friends I think I tend to relax a bit and it moves closer to the back of my oral cavity.  Or something. 

I do find that my own recorded voice sounds overly nasally to my ears, and I'm hoping to address this and work on the overall quality of my voice with the SPL in a couple of weeks.  I'm wondering if I'm being overly critical of my own voice because of what I *think* it should sound like when I hear myself talk.

Sorry if I keep going on and on about everything.  I'm sort of babbling on to just kill time; I tend to obsess about things after I've decided on a course of action, and the clinic I going to has horrible hours making it difficult to schedule around work.  So here I am all raring to go but with nothing really to do except twiddle my thumbs =P

Ashley

P.S.  Anjaq I'd like to send you a PM eventually, but I think I'm still too new of a member to do that yet?
  •  

anjaq

Yes. I need to work more on resonance and such, especially intonation and prosody - pitch is just one issue. I wonder how to train those other things properly. If I try to repeat after recordings, I am not able to follow fast enough. I do some things there but it is not quite right yet.

•  

inspire

So I just got back from South Korea. The surgery went well. Had the botox shot. Since then I have had sore throat n runny nose and been coughing a bit. I am not sure whats wrong. I do sound hoarse. You guys have any feedback. Botox side effects?

I am 10 days post op.

~Riya
  •  

Jennygirl

With the botox which relaxes things, I would expect to wait 2 weeks after the injection to hear something that doesn't sound totally groggy.. So that would mean @ 21 days post op. As long as you have no pain from stressing vocal cords you are right on track.

You are only 3 days after the botox injection, so things are still VERY "loose".
  •  

inspire

Quote from: Jennygirl on May 29, 2014, 09:51:38 PM
With the botox which relaxes things, I would expect to wait 2 weeks after the injection to hear something that doesn't sound totally groggy.. So that would mean @ 21 days post op. As long as you have no pain from stressing vocal cords you are right on track.

You are only 3 days after the botox injection, so things are still VERY "loose".

Thanks Jenny for your inputs :) I have just been coughing and sneezing a bit more past 2 days:(
  •  

Roni

How much is this procedure now? I know Jenny originally paid 7.5k for the actual surgery itself, and it states even on Yeson's customer consultation page that the surgery is 7.5k, but I read somewhere on here that the surgery has since gone up to $10k? Is that still the price?
On the wild journey to self-discovery. Free yourself.
  •  

MeganChristine

Quote from: Roni on May 31, 2014, 08:33:46 PM
How much is this procedure now? I know Jenny originally paid 7.5k for the actual surgery itself, and it states even on Yeson's customer consultation page that the surgery is 7.5k, but I read somewhere on here that the surgery has since gone up to $10k? Is that still the price?

Hmm, my estimate was $7.380, at least thats what I'm expecting to pay in July :D
  •  

Jennygirl

wow up to 10k???

holy crap!

I guess demand is rising faster than they must be able to handle. I wonder if this is becoming Dr. Kim's most popular procedure
  •  

barbie

A few days ago, newspapers here reported that Yeson had successfully treated 8 foreign patients of laryngeal papillomatosis, a rare medical condition of the throat.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

FalseHybridPrincess

Quote from: Jennygirl on June 01, 2014, 08:12:34 PM
wow up to 10k???

holy crap!

I guess demand is rising faster than they must be able to handle. I wonder if this is becoming Dr. Kim's most popular procedure

nah , I emailed them and the cost is still 7.5 usd

quick question
they say you have to stop hormones 14 days prior to surgery
I suppose that includes both e pills and aa ,right?
http://falsehybridprincess.tumblr.com/
Follow me and I ll do your dishes.

Also lets be friends on fb :D
  •