Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Yeson voice feminization surgery

Started by Jennygirl, April 22, 2013, 06:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lena from Kiev

Quote from: FalseHybridPrincess on June 01, 2014, 10:08:47 PMthey say you have to stop hormones 14 days prior to surgery
The word "hormones" means that they don't know what they are talking about.
  •  

FalseHybridPrincess

Quote from: Lena from Kiev on June 01, 2014, 11:14:25 PM

explain please?
http://falsehybridprincess.tumblr.com/
Follow me and I ll do your dishes.

Also lets be friends on fb :D
  •  

Jennygirl

Yeah I dunno what Lena means but it only applies to oral estrogen due to clotting risks. When I told them I was having E administered through pellets they said there was nothing to worry about.

I think they know what they are talking about...
  •  

Jmtl

Quote from: Jennygirl on June 03, 2014, 12:25:02 AM
Yeah I dunno what Lena means but it only applies to oral estrogen due to clotting risks. When I told them I was having E administered through pellets they said there was nothing to worry about.

I think they know what they are talking about...

Yah! Thats right jenny! And most of the surgery i had , Drs. Would tell me about the hormones, due to possible blood clotting. Btw, Im was with jessie today and i told her about you, and she said you were sweet and a positive girl. ☺️
"Positive Vibes" :angel: :angel: :D :-*
  •  

Jennygirl

Dawwww :D

Please say hi for me? I miss Jessie so much!
  •  

Jmtl

Quote from: Jennygirl on June 03, 2014, 09:49:24 AM

Haha ok i will!!! I'll see her today and i will show her this.☺️
  •  

Jmtl

Quote from: Jennygirl on June 03, 2014, 09:49:24 AM

Jessie said hi to you jenny! :) my operation went well, but i coughed 2x just after the operationc cant control it just went out. Did it happened to you?
  •  

Gigi_J

Hope you're still well Joanne...I just wrote a message in the thread I started in case you haven't seen it yet...sorry for my quiet spell, been in Italy as I explained in that post!

So are you guys saying if you're on hormone patches (as I am) that you don't have to stop taking them 14 days prior to the operation? You only have to stop if they are taken orally?

Think I'll write to Jessie again but I'm sure I mentioned the patches weeks ago and she didn't say I wouldn't have to stop them so I'm totally confused now. Obviously, if I don't have to stop them, the better....less mood swings!! :D

Gx
  •  

kimdp999

Hey there Gigi- definitely please post the reply to the hormone question on here.  I'll be heading to Korea the 14th and I just stopped the hormones a couple of days ago (sucks...).  I'll be staying at the Riveria, surgery is on the 18th.  Can't wait :)

Cheers:)
Kim
Kimberly
  •  

AmyBerlin

Hi all,

well, they had me stop hormone gel, so I don't think it would be any different with patches...

Amy
  •  

Shantel

Quote from: AmyBerlin on June 07, 2014, 10:21:05 AM
Hi all,

well, they had me stop hormone gel, so I don't think it would be any different with patches...

Amy

More than likely they are reducing any clotting risks.
  •  

kimdp999

I'm thinking that's correct (blood clots)/DVT from flying.  Always imteresting hearing differing opinions though.

Thx
Kim
Kimberly
  •  

anjaq

Quote from: blankaizabell on June 09, 2014, 05:56:17 AM
i like to travel to south korea soon, i already send them my voice record and thay said is ok, we can do the surgery!
Sounds great. Good for you. I hope you will be willing to do a couple of different pre-op recordings (like just speaking regularly, reading the rainbow passage or something like that) and do the same some moths after the surgery. It is always interesting to see the difference, for yourself as well as for the ones who are planning this as well

Quote from: Lena from Kiev on June 01, 2014, 11:14:25 PM
Well said!

Usually they refer to Estradiol (E2), the main ingredient in regular HT. I guess they dont want to yonfuse patients with specifities, so they just generally say to stop "hormones".

It is a blatant oversimplification though:

Estradiol is only one out of many possible hormones that they do not mention - and most of them pose no issue at all during healing. For example progesterone, testosterone, thyroid hormones - its all hormones...

The next thing that bugs me is that the main reason for this advice is the fear of blood clots, mostly caused by oral estradiol - pills. the probably reason for this is that they have to pass through the liver first and produce a lot of metabolites. Gels or patches should not pose that much of a problem, and since you do not stay in bed for a long time after the surgery, the risk of thrombosis is very small anyways.

And then there is the fact that other women who happen to have their own estradiol are not advised to use estrogen suppressants or something therelike before any surgery. So they go in there with high estradiol levels and come out well.

If you stop HT, your body will be in a state of hormone deprivation, the hypothalamus will start to ask the gonads to make more hormones, your hormone balance will shift and overall the body will probably be stressed. I am not sure if this is the best thing to do.

Of course, if they give you the advice, I would ask them what exactly they want you to stop and why (and if this applies to your form of application as well). Personally, I would not stop progesterone and ask if it is ok to only reduce estradiol gel and also ask how long post op that should be done still. I think I definitely would stop AAs weeks before such a surgery, specifically Spiro, as it actually changes your vocal chords.

•  

anjaq

Quote from: blankaizabell on June 10, 2014, 08:44:12 AM
It is always interesting to see the difference, for yourself as well as for the ones who are planning this as well-why anjaq? you not recommend this surgery! Is there anybbody here who not recommend this voice surgery! ecouse i still afraid so much! i always heared very bad storys about the voice surgerys! i just desided to do becouse its seems different! Spiro is really change my vocal chords? this surgery is so important for me, becouse i am leaveing as a normal girl so long time and the only thing which is still shows i was born a boy is my voice! (sorry for my english)
I am not sure I totally understand. But i will try to answer.

I think it it interesting to collect many before and after recordings to see and demonstrate that this really works better than other methods and also to see if in some cases maybe the result is great while in others it is just ok. Up to now, 90% or so of the patients there recommended the surgery and the few exceptions basically came around to a degree later on. It also helps us to see what behaviour improves the chances for a good voice and which don't. For example useing the voice in the first weeks is bad, certain kinds of voice training are good etc.

Recommendations by others are no good thing to base your choice on. I had several people tell me they are totally happy with their voice surgery here in Germany. they never get sirred on the phone anymore, all is great for them. I phoned some of them. Their voices were mostly female sounding but hoarse and broken. I would never want such a voice. biut they are happy and recommended it. Why? Because their expectations were different than mine and they were fulfilled. their goal was to sound female and that they do - I personally want to sound female and not sound hoarse or broken.

I would be very careful - this is also true for FFS and GRS - for some people a numb face is a acceptable price to look female, for some it is acceptable to loose sensation in the vulva or to have no vaginal depth at all after SRS because they either dont care or they are lesbians - or for many other reaons. I have met people who were happy about their SRS, lost all sensation in their genitals but were happy because they could now go to the womans locker room and shower and haf a F in the passport. They recommended their surgeon to others.

Bottom line is, it is always better to get your own picture by looking at examples, listening to them and asking about complications and drawbacks rather than just following recommendations, because your own expectations my differ.

And yes - Spiro is known to change the voice. I would recommend not taking it prior to a voice surgery as it might create a situation for the surgeon that is harder to judge, especially if you ever plan to not take Spiro anymore

May i ask how long you have been living normal as a girl? For me it is 15 years since I started treatments, but I am still having voice issues :(

•  

anjaq

Well I am happy that Jenny, Abby, Sarah and a few others did and will provide recordings - it gives a good impression, but you know - more data, more reliability in the statistics. To make sure they were not just the lucky ones where it worked ;)

Spiro is a antiandrogen that is used mainly in the US I think. Spironolactone. Do you take any antiandrogens, or just estrogen and maybe progesterone?

5 years is already a bit. For me it is 15 years. After 5 years, I guess you have some basics changed already?

•  

AlexD

Hi everybody! I read the entire thread and was very excited by people's experience, especially Jenny's. First of all, I'd like to explain my situation. I am a 20yr old guy and I have a very deep voice. My range is C2 - E4 (comfortable speaking tone is about D2 to G2). I am a heterosexual. Maybe you'll say I'm crazy, but I want to raise my voice freq with the help of Yeson. I like to sing very much. I always have had very good control over my voice and can easily reach all the notes of my range. The problem is I want to sing like most men. It's hard to explain, but my dream is to sing in normal tenor/baritone range (A2 - A4 (or higher)). I am saving the money for the surgery, so I'm serious about it. I want to ask you, people, who went through this kind of surgery, some important questions. Someone here (Amy?) said that it is optional about frequency raising. I just think that if my voice would be raised up for a full octave (74hz) it'll become female like. So is this really optional? The other question is a about range. Would my range (2 octaves+) stay with me if I'll go through the surgery (For sure I'll do all the necessary for it)? I would be very happy if anybody here recognize my problem. Thanks!
  •  

Jennygirl

Hi Alex- in your case I would not recommend this surgery. It does make singing more difficult and I doubt that Dr. Kim would perform the surgery for you. I mean you could always ask, or insist, but I honestly would not recommend it unless you are specifically trying to feminize your voice and there is no other option.

I would be very interested to hear what Dr. Kim has to say to you in your case, so if you do ask please let us know? I am very curious :)

Best of luck
  •  

AlexD

Quote from: Jennygirl on June 12, 2014, 03:42:13 PM
Hi Alex- in your case I would not recommend this surgery. It does make singing more difficult and I doubt that Dr. Kim would perform the surgery for you. I mean you could always ask, or insist, but I honestly would not recommend it unless you are specifically trying to feminize your voice and there is no other option.

I would be very interested to hear what Dr. Kim has to say to you in your case, so if you do ask please let us know? I am very curious :)

Best of luck

Oh, thank you very much, Jenny, for your quick reply!  I'll sure inform you when I'll ask about it Dr. Kim.
It's really sad if it's true( As I remember, you wrote that you are able to sing already. Can you tell please, what are the difficulties you face while singing with your new voice? It's very interesting for me.
  •  

anjaq

Oh that is a bit sad to hear, Jenny, that singing is now harder? How so?

Amy Berlin may know best about singing and this surgery. She also had less stitches to not get the full increase in pitch, although it had different reasons. I guess that of course you will loose something at the lower end but not gain as much on the upper end. I am not sure what you think you would gain from this surgery. I have done a vocal analysis some times and I came out at a range that is over 3 octaves. I dont expect the upper range to shift at all if I go for this surgery, if anything then it will drop and has to be regained by training. but at the low end some part would be missing - not a big loss for me, but for a singer who wants to go for the whole spectrum... I know a trans woman who is a singer. She said she doe snot want a surgery because she likes to use the full range for performances - going down deep and all the way up.

•  

anjaq

The surgery is not limited to trans people though, but I am not sure he will do it on males. I asked once and because I dont apply the term transgender to myself, they assumed I was a ciswoman and still offered to do it. As I understand it there are some ciswomen who have voice issues as well

•