Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Yeson voice feminization surgery

Started by Jennygirl, April 22, 2013, 06:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anjaq

Quote from: barbie on January 13, 2015, 08:09:41 PM
Bring a nice mask to protect your throat from the episodic storms of yellow dust from China.
So how is climate and smog in the end of February? I will be there in 6 weeks. Probably still very cold. Maybe snow? So probably no sightseeing in the national parks.

•  

barbie

Quote from: ImagineKate on January 14, 2015, 12:44:32 PM
How is it in Summer? That's when I'm shooting for.

In summer, it will be fine.

<Monthly frequency of yellow dust in South Korea (right panel)>

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

anjaq

Oh great, so end of February is the worst month for that? Great! I picked totally the wrong date. Horrible exchange rate, yellow dust and coldness. Sigh.

Ah well - it was the only date possible for me and in the museums and shops there will hopefully be neither cold nor smog. So we just have to do more indoors stuff. I still hope to find some good XXL clothes shopping - I doubt any korean shop will have my size, then shopping gets frustrating.

•  

barbie

Quote from: anjaq on January 17, 2015, 01:21:36 PM
Oh great, so end of February is the worst month for that? Great! I picked totally the wrong date. Horrible exchange rate, yellow dust and coldness. Sigh.

End of February is not so bad. March is the worst period. Anyway, Seoul is very cold in winter and very hot in summer. Still, you may enjoy some outdoor activities.

A lot of people here travel abroad because of dropping exchange rate.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

anjaq

i wonder what we can do. in that time in Seoul. Its end of February and Beginning of March. I wont go skiing, thats pretty sure :P - maybe better indoors stuff and some sightseeing of the old village? Any other good tips? ;)

Our exchange rate is horrible. Yeson costs me now $1000 more in my currency than it would have cost a year ago and food and hotel will also be 20% more expensive.

By the way - how many days after surgery should one plan to not do any activities? I was thinking 1 or 2 days are probably spend just recovering from the anaesthesia?

•  

anjaq

I booked a room at the Phil Guest House, it is recommended by Yeson and Amy here. It is roughly 50 EU a night I think and it has room enough for me any another person that comes along with me, I think tha tis a good deal. I was just b*tching about everything outside the EU getting 20-30% more expensive due to the exchange rate dropping into an abyss :(

•  

ImagineKate

LOL, I'm hoping the exchange rate holds up so my US$ is worth more when I'm ready to go.
  •  

anjaq

Unfair! :P :( - at least I paid all now and even bought KRW so I dont loose more by waiting

•  

Alaia

I'm thinking more and more that this will be the first surgery I pay out of pocket for. There's just so many times where I just loose control and go back down to my male sounding voice. I hate it.

Then there's singing, I like singing, and I've got a great singing voice--for a guy. I can even hit some pretty high notes, but it just sounds like a guy up in his falsetto. And I don't want to sound like a guy singing high in his falsetto :/

I seem to recall Jenny or someone saying that they were able to hit their higher notes afterwards without it sounding falsetto or strained. I really want that if it is possible with this surgery.

"Let yourself be silently drawn by the strange pull of what you really love. It will not lead you astray."

― Rumi
  •  

ElleA

I hope so too Alaia, I have my surgery in 8 days now.

It's a little bit weird to think you will go in fine and then not be able to speak for up to a month after, so many questions in my head about how I will sound.
  •  

ImagineKate

Quote from: Alaia on January 21, 2015, 06:05:05 PM
I'm thinking more and more that this will be the first surgery I pay out of pocket for. There's just so many times where I just loose control and go back down to my male sounding voice. I hate it.

Then there's singing, I like singing, and I've got a great singing voice--for a guy. I can even hit some pretty high notes, but it just sounds like a guy up in his falsetto. And I don't want to sound like a guy singing high in his falsetto :/

I seem to recall Jenny or someone saying that they were able to hit their higher notes afterwards without it sounding falsetto or strained. I really want that if it is possible with this surgery.

One of the many reasons I want it is because I might slip back. In public with the kids instinct just takes over.
  •  

Wynternight

Quote from: Alaia on January 21, 2015, 06:05:05 PM

I'm with you. This and trach shave are going to be the out of pocket ones. If I do GRS with Bowers insurance will cover it.
Stooping down, dipping my wings, I came into the darkly-splendid abodes. There, in that formless abyss was I made a partaker of the Mysteries Averse. LIBER CORDIS CINCTI SERPENTE-11;4

HRT- 31 August, 2014
FT - 7 Sep, 2016
VFS- 19 October, 2016
FFS/BA - 28 Feb, 2018
SRS - 31 Oct 2018
  •  

ImagineKate

Just remember if you do trach shave you may not be a suitable candidate for Yeson.
  •  

Wynternight

Quote from: ImagineKate on January 22, 2015, 11:48:12 AM
Just remember if you do trach shave you may not be a suitable candidate for Yeson.

I thought he was OK with it as long as it's done before the Yeson procedure.
Stooping down, dipping my wings, I came into the darkly-splendid abodes. There, in that formless abyss was I made a partaker of the Mysteries Averse. LIBER CORDIS CINCTI SERPENTE-11;4

HRT- 31 August, 2014
FT - 7 Sep, 2016
VFS- 19 October, 2016
FFS/BA - 28 Feb, 2018
SRS - 31 Oct 2018
  •  

Wynternight

I found this thread from two years ago with a response from the Yeson Center:

https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php?topic=149644.0

"Dear Paige

When to have trachea shave doesn't matter. It anyway affects your voice if they make a high resection on your thyroid notch.

That's why we do not recommend it. If you really want to do that, we recommend you should receive the surgery with us to minimize the damage to your vocal folds."

And this:

"Dear Paige

Thank you for resending your e-mail :-)

Regarding your inquiry, Dr. Kim ,as a professional surgeon, will perform the thyroid cartilage shaving on you.

To not affect the outcome of VFS surgery, only a little ressection on your thyroid notch will be made.

Sorry before and after photos are not available. We will be glad to answer your further inquiries

Thank you and warm regards,"

HRT- 31 August, 2014
FT - 7 Sep, 2016
VFS- 19 October, 2016
FFS/BA - 28 Feb, 2018
SRS - 31 Oct 2018
  •  

ImagineKate

Yep if they do it it might be better.
  •  

Wynternight

Methinks I shall look into both at the same time with Dr. Kim.

I know Dr. O is tops but he's pricey and I do worry about how much cartilage he shaves.

HRT- 31 August, 2014
FT - 7 Sep, 2016
VFS- 19 October, 2016
FFS/BA - 28 Feb, 2018
SRS - 31 Oct 2018
  •  

anjaq

I think this is really hard to say. I would probably go for Dr Kim with it - or at least get information from him how much to do. He will probably know best how much to remove. Other surgeons may be more concerned with getting rid of as much as possible to give the best look possible.
But be aware that there are different techniques on where to put the incision for trach shave - some are more visible than others. Some are directly at the neck, others are unter the chin.

I wonder how trach shave inferferes with VFS though - it is not a CTA voice surgery where one tensions up the vocal folds, ideall there should not be more tension on the trach after this VFS...

•  

Rachelicious

This is why Dr. Kim recommends against trach shave, unless it is really needed. Obviously we've had a couple cases get it done beforehand and turn out just great, but I'm pretty sure if the head voice doc in the world tells you a trach shave with his procedure is "doable" but not recommended, that probably means it's doable, but not really a risk you should want to consider. He also will probably be extremely minimal in removing tissue and probably focus more on changing the cartilage angle instead.

Get it done 2 months before so you get results you're happy with. This isn't like FFS where you're out for days and you can load on a bunch of procedures that don't compromise one another's healing.
  •  

barbie

Quote from: anjaq on January 18, 2015, 03:25:18 AM
i wonder what we can do. in that time in Seoul. Its end of February and Beginning of March. I wont go skiing, thats pretty sure :P - maybe better indoors stuff and some sightseeing of the old village? Any other good tips? ;)

I am not quite sure, but some suggestions for indoor stuff.

The National Museum of Korea
http://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/SI/SI_EN_3_1_1_1.jsp?cid=268137

Bukchon Hanok Village
http://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/SI/SI_EN_3_1_1_1.jsp?cid=561382

Namdaemun market
http://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/SH/SH_EN_7_2.jsp?cid=273760

N Seoul Tower
http://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/SI/SI_EN_3_1_1_1.jsp?cid=264550

For more destinations:

http://english.visitkorea.or.kr/mapInfo.kto?func_name=depth2&md=enu&lang_se=ENG&area_code=1

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •