Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Yeson voice feminization surgery

Started by Jennygirl, April 22, 2013, 06:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElleA

Haha, it was probably because it was so cold we were inside most of the time.
  •  

celinemealone

Yes I hope coughing doesn't effect the outcome too, because it was quite sad that i was able to have kept silence until the checkup and than the coughs started and those coughs are the ones i cant control. On my positive side i think coughing abit after the 6days healing should be fine (as Jessie said so) and better than the first few days, but on the negative side I cant tell if i have done any damaged or not as I cannot be reassured by Dr. Kim.

You know when you damaged the sutures as you will have severe throat pain and alot of blood coughed up, but on top of that I really if that is the only degree that you can damage it.

I kinda wish Yeson has a hospitalization system and a longer period of treatment for post-op patients as it will mean a lot more of reassurance and really a peace of mind.

I really liked Korea and enjoyed my stay up until the silence period. Getting around was no longer pleasant as get dressed and head to the subway station or get a cab. I had the fear of suddenly sneezing or coughing when out as it was cold when I was there. When I can no longer speak it was very frustrating to get a taxi (taxi drivers can get very rude) and also to eat out or even go shopping. Mainly because people thought that I was Korean and so they talk to me in Korean. Im very likely to come back to Korea because being to talk  would make it so much better and worthwhile.
  •  

anjaq

I so will pump my body full of cough suppressants in the forst week since I really would cough a lot otherwise. I guess I am less afraid of rupturing the whole suture, but tht delicate little bit that will give my voice its good sound as opposed to stay hoarse or breathy - if I had wanted that, I could have done the surgery for almost free in my country. But I really think, if one can plan it freely - always choose a summer date...

•  

seattlesarah

It really pays to use the subway there, it's incredibly easy and clean and cheap and efficient. It's the best subway I have seen anywhere in the world. I went to Tokyo straight after and it was a nightmare by comparison, and Tokyo's is actually excellent.

I hate hospitalisation so even though I had a few coughs during the week I'd rather have been in my hotel and out and about than stuck in a hospital bed. I don't think anything can reduce post-op anxiety, I had it with both FFS and SRS regardless of being in a hospital bed for 5 days after each (maybe it was 3 for FFS I don't remember now). I think the whole process could be a little improved by having them practice safe coughing with you before the op so you know exactly how to handle it. If coughing makes the outcome worse, then I'll definitely have a less than optimal outcome. I was really choking on phlegm for the first 5 days and a little cough here and there couldn't possibly be prevented.

The cold made me really nervous too. I ended up using a face mask to keep the cold air out of my throat, and I carried a small bottle of hand sanitizer to use after every subway trip and before eating, being very conscious of touching my face. I also had a flu shot before going. Make sure you pack thermal underwear and layer your clothes because some of the buildings are super overheated - the Yeson offices included (it gets really hot in there at the end of the day). I ended up fine and my partner caught a cold!

•  

anjaq

Ok, thanks for the tipps. I will definitely buy those face masks you described. Probably they sell them everywhere there? I am a bir scared of subways with lots of people to get sick from. Maybe I will take a taxi from the airport and during the first days to go to the clinic and back - its not cheap , but I dont want to get a flu from some Koreans in the subway. After all its not the cold that gets you a cold but the viruses by the people. But sweating certainly is not a good idea. I try and practise to cough without it being too painful or hard on the throat and sometimes it works, sometimes not. I hope I am doing this right , I was told, there is an explanation how to do this at Yeson, so I will definitely need that. Plus the cough suppressants I am going to bring some, in case they have none or only weak ones there. I heard mixed things from others at Yeson - some seem to have gotten cough suppressants, others apparently not. May depend on the time of year though.

Oh I am nervous :P

•  

ReDucks

I got single dose packets of cough suppressant to take with each dose of the pills I took 3x a day, that seemed to work pretty well but I had no cough at all so far since surgery so maybe it was just that I didn't need to cough.  You can always bring some with you just keep it under the airline max per container.

I find that the trick to clear the throat without using the vocal cords is to breathe out through your mouth like you are trying to fog a mirror.  Try to make the sound haa not heh and drop your jaw while you do it.  That is how I feel the least friction in my throat, you may be different.  Now while doin gthat, just concentrate the breath into a short burst from the diaphragm like you got hit in the stomach but were ready for it.  Do that over and over until you feel the urge to clear your throat go away, swallowing / spitting out anything that comes up.

I got the flu shot and while at the Dr. for that, I noticed they had surgical masks in the lobby to use if you had a cold so I grabbed a couple of those to use if I needed to.  (I didn't)

My flight came in before 5pm Seoul time, so the free ride from the airport was available.  If your flight is also before 5, you might be able to get that if it is still being offered.

Good luck Anjaq, don't be nervous :)
  •  

seattlesarah

Surgical masks are at all the convenience stores, and the subways all have one.

See I understand what to do now to cough properly because I just got to read a good description of it - I didn't get what they were telling me to do at the clinic at ALL. I just can't take instructions verbally. This is why my job options are so restricted.

Anjaq I caught the subway 4 to 8 times a day and didn't get sick. Masks for the cold air and more importantly, an awareness of touching public objects and using hand sanitizer when you do will keep you safe. Most viruses are transmitted onto your skin and then into your mouth. You're no less exposed in a taxi because it is also a public space and you're touching the same things a million other people have so at least use hand sanitizer. Oh and carry some hand cream too because hand sanitizer plus cold dry air drys out your skin FAST.
  •  

celinemealone

Quote from: seattlesarah on February 17, 2015, 06:07:59 PM
See I understand what to do now to cough properly because I just got to read a good description of it - I didn't get what they were telling me to do at the clinic at ALL. I just can't take instructions verbally. This is why my job options are so restricted.

Me too, All i got told was to open your mouth wide and let all the air out without making any noise, but to me it was quite impossible to not make sound, Im a visual learner too. I got my flu shot right before I left and it really helped. My first flight back from Korea was with Korean air and they were amazing, they gave me a big water bottle to keep hydrated the whole flight. However the transit flight i had to take was with China air and even though i asked, i was told to get it by myself at the fountain. Also make sure you choose the right food on the plane because they all seem very salty to me and definitely stay away from cheese.
  •  

seattlesarah

?? What's the problem with cheese? I WANT TO EAT ALL OF THE CHEESE.
  •  

celinemealone

:D i read from a few articles that diary products can produce phlegm, at least for me the cheesy dish i had on the plane triggered some coughs
  •  

LordKAT

Dairy thickens phlegm, not causes it.
  •  

Wynternight

So much good info here. I'm hoping I can get mine done before the end of the year.
Stooping down, dipping my wings, I came into the darkly-splendid abodes. There, in that formless abyss was I made a partaker of the Mysteries Averse. LIBER CORDIS CINCTI SERPENTE-11;4

HRT- 31 August, 2014
FT - 7 Sep, 2016
VFS- 19 October, 2016
FFS/BA - 28 Feb, 2018
SRS - 31 Oct 2018
  •  

ImagineKate

You need to book 3-4 months in advance now. They are pretty busy. Jessie is extremely helpful.
  •  

Wynternight

Quote from: ImagineKate on February 17, 2015, 11:04:08 PM
You need to book 3-4 months in advance now. They are pretty busy. Jessie is extremely helpful.

Money is the issue right now. If I can save enough that it looks doable this year then I'll see about calling them.
Stooping down, dipping my wings, I came into the darkly-splendid abodes. There, in that formless abyss was I made a partaker of the Mysteries Averse. LIBER CORDIS CINCTI SERPENTE-11;4

HRT- 31 August, 2014
FT - 7 Sep, 2016
VFS- 19 October, 2016
FFS/BA - 28 Feb, 2018
SRS - 31 Oct 2018
  •  

anjaq

Oh thanks for the good winter-related tipps. I am going to be a bit of a hypochondirac then and keep a sanitizer and sanitizer towels with me at all times and get these breathing masks there. I am not sure about the subway still - touching is one thing but if someone sneezes or coughs you can also get sick just from breathing in, right? And that certainly will happen more in a subway than in a taxi with just one driver.

I think I got how to "cough" without coughing but it is not nearly as efficient as coughing and it can cause a cough reflex. So I definitely will take the codeine I got prescribed here with me as well as the DXM and see if I have to or should combine it with whatever they give me there. I am usually good at understanding instructions. I am a bit of a teacher myself after all, so I should.

Sadly I will arrive on a Sunday , so no free pickup is possible from the Airport. Plus apparently now they have until Sunday a new years festival there, so everything is closed until the new year - so when I am arriving there maybe the shops will even be closed , but on Monday the new year probably starts - maybe this means good luck to be one of the patients getting surgery very soon after a new year started?

Greetings

•  

ImagineKate

Which hotels would you recommend? Also, how about credit cards? Here in the USA we are so backwards with implementing EMV. We are going chip and signature not chip and PIN which causes issues. Will my card work there? I have one chip and PIN card from UNFCU but if I can avoid using it I would.
  •  

mk854

Hi Anjac this is Michelle from New York, I am an Emergency Room RN. First of all, I want to wish you a safe trip and a successful VFS.  My VFS at Yeson was on 22nd January 2015 and I came back on 30th January 2015.  Do not worry about anything at Yeson. They are highly trained professionals and very kind and considerate people.

You do not need to take codeine with you as Yeson will give you cough syrup, cough suppressant pills, and antibiotics. You just need a big bottle of water next to you all the time. Whenever you feel that coughing spell is coming just take a sip or two and it will go away. At night you might have a choking feeling due to phlegm accumulation since you wouldn't be allowed to clear your throat. In that case, just drink water and it will go away.

CAUTION! If you do not have any arrangement to pick you up from Incheon airport then be careful of getting into a cab. I was taken for a ride! Majority of the cab drivers are very honest and will not charge you extra.  I landed on 20th January 2015 at 5:30 am. Mr. Paul from Phillhouse promised to send a cab but he didn't. I texted him several times but received no answer from him. I was alone and frightened and took a cab to Phillhouse. It was a 50 to 55 minutes ride and cab driver charged me $180 and it was according to his meter. Actual fare should be around $80 and no more than $90. It was very dark I was alone and scared and gave him the money.  When I arrived at Phillhouse, Mr. Paul was just waking up from his sleep and I asked him that he promised to send a taxi for me and he didn't, why? He answered, sorry, it was just a mix up and he was sorry. I told Jessie as well she was genuinely very sad to know what had happened to me.

•  

mk854

Imaginekate - My credit card from my chase back worked fine at the Yeson
  •  

ImagineKate

Quote from: mk854 on February 18, 2015, 08:30:26 AM
Imaginekate - My credit card from my chase back worked fine at the Yeson

Thanks.

My new (replacement) chase visa and my amex platinum both have chips but I think only the amex has a PIN capability. However I'm not sure how widely it is accepted in Korea.

I am more concerned about things like the subway and similar.

I was also thinking of getting a SIM card for my phone when I'm there but since I wouldn't be able to talk, why even bother. There is supposedly free wifi everywhere and my work phone has international roaming if I need to use it.
  •  

mk854

Hi Imaginkate, you are welcome, if you have international roaming for your phone then you would have no problem but sim card is another option. I only used my smart phone there mostly text messages and it worked. I don't know about other credit cards but my Chase card worked fine for Yeson. Just keep in mind that if you use credit card then you would be charged extra for international transactions. It is better to take some cash for subway and other rides just in case if your card transaction is denied. However, credit cards can be used for cab rides as well.  Best wishes
  •