Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Yeson voice feminization surgery

Started by Jennygirl, April 22, 2013, 06:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReDucks

hope you adjust quickly! Sorry to hear about the trip, isn't flying a pain these days?
  •  

barbie

Quote from: anjaq on February 22, 2015, 02:44:03 PM
We arrived some hours ago. The trip was rather horrible, but we found the house and if I would not be jetlagged I might sleep right now.

But you will be awaken in a few hours.
The severest yellow dust storm in 4 years is hitting the Korean peninsula right now. Even in my hometown (Jeju island), I see dense fog of dust. In Seoul, it is indeed severe and intolerable. You have better stay indoor, and may purchase a mask that can filter micro-dust in a nearby pharmacy, albeit it is not so much effective, but better than without it. The storm comes from the northern Chinese area, is expected to be weaken tomorrow afternoon (Tuesday).

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

HaleyT

Hi all!

I haven't been online for a while, but since I'm also heading to Seoul, I thought I would say hi to everyone!

I'll be on a plane in about 35 hours, with surgery scheduled for this Friday.  Anjaq, maybe we'll run in to each other?  Personally, I'm super excited!  I can't wait for the surgery and to hear what I'll sound like once I'm all recovered.  I'm starting out around 100Hz average, so I've got a long way to go!  :)

~Haley
  •  

anjaq

Great timing about the dust storm. I will have to check where I can get such a mask nearby. I bet some of them are sold and are rip offs which are ineffective, right? I hope I can detect which are really good ones and which not so much. We are indoors today mostly, trying to recover, but even so, I feel some dryness in the throat that is unusual...must be the dust. We are too tired to do sightseeing today anyways. I hope it goes away soon, so that it leaves my poor cold-damaged throat alone in time for the examination and surgery.

The journey was not pleasant. First flight was delayed already, so it was very close to meet the second, that one was mediocre but ok and ended in Bejing, where we had a lot of "fun" with chinese security. Luckily we had 3.5h transit time, because we needed all of that to have every bit of out hand luggage opened, examined, checked, analyzed, returned to us to pack back in the bags and then open the bags again with the same stuff going on until our stuff was all mixed up and partially lost or damaged. We had to undress to the underwear and be checked over again. We had to explain what all the stuff was in our bags - especially all the medication we carried to be sure to have it if the main baggage would get lost and the inhalator I carried to keep my airways hydrated during the return flight. I guess they thought the inhalator was for using illegal drugs and all the medication would be illegal drugs too or something. The connectin "almost-domestic" flight to Seoul was clearly designed for Chinese with the seats so small that we barely could move. At some point (I think it was when the horrible food arrived) we just had to flash.laugh and could not stop because it was just too absurd and we were so tired. ICN airport then was gigantic - one has to walk and walk and take a train and walk and walk some more to get to the baggage claim. And it is about an hour drive by bus from the city.
So I guess my advice, especially for those who have no legal name/gender change or are not post-GRS yet - avoid Bejing at all costs - they seem to not know what international transit is and I dont even want to imagine what would have happened if upon undressing they would have discovered apparent "mismatches" between my appearance, passport name or gender and body configuration. Drug smugglers that use a false identity would probably have been their guess... Crazy people...

Oh and the dry air in the planes was horrible for the throat and nose :(

But we made it, somehow have to make it back with the slight hindrance that upon return travel I canot talk myself out of it again.

So it con only get better now here I guess - tomorrow is the examination and then hopefully a good surgery on Wednesday.

Haley - where will you stay? If you stay at Phil House, we surely will meet. I will be at the clinic probably only on Tuesday, Wednesday and a week later on Wednesday.

•  

ElleA

Olive Green is a good place to start for dust mask. They are pretty much everywhere
  •  

HaleyT

Anjaq - I'm staying in an AirBnB in Samseong-Dong, and will be at the clinic Thursday/Friday so we probably won't naturally cross paths... maybe if we're both feeling up for it we can find some other way to say hi. :)

~Haley
  •  

barbie

Quote from: anjaq on February 22, 2015, 11:01:04 PM
Great timing about the dust storm. I will have to check where I can get such a mask nearby. I bet some of them are sold and are rip offs which are ineffective, right? I hope I can detect which are really good ones and which not so much. We are indoors today mostly, trying to recover, but even so, I feel some dryness in the throat that is unusual...must be the dust. We are too tired to do sightseeing today anyways. I hope it goes away soon, so that it leaves my poor cold-damaged throat alone in time for the examination and surgery.

There are many kinds of mask, but you may need a special one for protecting from yellow dust. Those masks in Seoul are marked by "KF80" as follows:

Or, they can be labelled as PM10 or PM2.5, which are for filtering out micro-dust.

Yellow dust is mostly natural one, but micro-dust is mostly from pollution. Anyway, both are bad for your health.

Just ago, I purchased a mask labled as PM2.5.
News reports here say that the yellow dust will be weakened tomorrow.
This is the worst one in 5 years.
You may check the level of yellow dust at: http://web.kma.go.kr/eng/weather/asiandust/timeseries.jsp
Usually it should be below 80, which is normal.

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/national/2015/02/22/81/0302000000AEN20150222003700315F.html

Hopefully you will not see another yellow storm during your stay in Seoul.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

barbie

Probably you may purchase a nice mask in a nearby convenient store such as "Family Mart".

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

barbie

Quote from: anjaq on February 22, 2015, 11:01:04 PM
So I guess my advice, especially for those who have no legal name/gender change or are not post-GRS yet - avoid Bejing at all costs - they seem to not know what international transit is and I dont even want to imagine what would have happened if upon undressing they would have discovered apparent "mismatches" between my appearance, passport name or gender and body configuration. Drug smugglers that use a false identity would probably have been their guess... Crazy people...

I have never been to China, but if anybody indeed wants to avoid Beijing, there are many direct flights from major cities of Europe (e.g., Frankfurt, Paris) to ICN, albeit the fair should be a little bit more expensive. I heard that Finnair is a nice carrier from Helsinki to ICN, too. Emirates from Dubai to ICN was not so bad, as I remember.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

barbie

Quote from: HaleyT on February 22, 2015, 11:48:03 PM
Anjaq - I'm staying in an AirBnB in Samseong-Dong, and will be at the clinic Thursday/Friday so we probably won't naturally cross paths... maybe if we're both feeling up for it we can find some other way to say hi. :)

~Haley

It will take less than 25 mins by taxi from Phil House to Samseong-Dong or Yeson clinic . The fare will about 10,000 KRW.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

anjaq

Ok, so I guess I bought the wrong mask then. I bought one from a pharmacy, hoping it would be a good one. I will watch out for another one, but if the dust is going away tomorrow maybe I dont need it then and am ok with the less good one just to keep my breath wet.
http://i.imgur.com/gzYTwfe.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/dZPTXh9.jpg

I guess a direct flight really makes sense, but it was about 150% of the price as the others. I would not want to stop anywhere in the eastern Africa or arabic area either if I still was in a mixed up state with name and appearance. They dont seem to be very fond of transpeople there either. I guess if i had this issue, I would just add the 50% for the direct flight. I guess I should have done so too to avoid stress, but at least they did not send me back or arrest me or anything like that.

Haley, why not - I am not sure how fast I will recover to do sightseeing. But maybe we could have a (silent) look at each other ;) when taking a trip to the Seoul Tower or something? Meeting for a chat would probably not make a whole lot sense :P ;)

•  

barbie

Quote from: anjaq on February 23, 2015, 02:02:39 AM
Ok, so I guess I bought the wrong mask then. I bought one from a pharmacy, hoping it would be a good one. I will watch out for another one, but if the dust is going away tomorrow maybe I dont need it then and am ok with the less good one just to keep my breath wet.
http://i.imgur.com/gzYTwfe.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/dZPTXh9.jpg

Uh oh. Anjaq, that mask is for warming your face in winter.
If another storm approaches, then you have better purchase a mask for "Yellow Dust".
it is not so much expensive, probably less than 5,000 KRW (US$ 5).

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

anjaq

Good thing we did not go outside much anyways today, so I did not even use the mask yet, but for warming in winter is also good maybe when there is no dust. Silly pharmacy. I asked for a face mask against the dust, but apparently they do not understand english well. I will check for other masks then in the little stores they have here, I did not see any really larger store yet.

•  

barbie

Quote from: anjaq on February 23, 2015, 04:05:31 AM
Good thing we did not go outside much anyways today, so I did not even use the mask yet, but for warming in winter is also good maybe when there is no dust. Silly pharmacy. I asked for a face mask against the dust, but apparently they do not understand english well. I will check for other masks then in the little stores they have here, I did not see any really larger store yet.

You may show this note in Korean (Hangeul) to the clerk when purchasing a mask for yellow dust.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

anjaq

Ok, we just tried to find food at a reasonable price in the late evening around here and were amazed and shocked at just ho expensive it is here. The only thing that was reasonably affordable was basically soms sort of soup with seafood or meat on a bone in it. It was about 6000 Won, Other foods seem to start at 25000 Won , even a Pizza was 25000-37000 Won at one place we looked at. That is over 25 EU for a meal - I think in the nearest city at home (renowned to be expensive for Germany) I can have about 2-3 meals for that price.
Are we doing something wrong? How to find food at a reasonable price - or where to get raw food to cook for ourselves at a reasonable price at least, so we can maybe just cook pasta in our rental room.
My budget was supposed to be about 1000 EU for the reminder of the hotel costs, food & sightseeing for two people and I was kind of expecting to be able to pay some of the botox bill at yeson with the remainder of the money, I did not really expect to pay 25 EU per Person and day for the main meal :o

•  

ReDucks

Anjaq, I went to a grocery store and bought some milk and breakfast cereal and bowls of ramen soup then only paid for food for dinner.  The prices where I stayed weren't as high as yours, but perhaps you are going to better restaurants?  I avoided anything that looked too fancy.

•  

mk854

Hi Anjac,
That is true, food was very expensive, even raw food. However, I bought eggs, some vegetables, and fruit, plus a loaf of bread. I made soup with spinach, pasta, potatoes and had for three days. It is just about 3 minutes walk from Phill to go to these stores but you just need to cross that main road by the train station. Phill has map on the wall or ask them. Still I used more money for food there than I budgeted that is why I had to use my credit card for the Botox. Best Wishes Michele
  •  

barbie

Quote from: anjaq on February 23, 2015, 09:42:13 AM
Ok, we just tried to find food at a reasonable price in the late evening around here and were amazed and shocked at just ho expensive it is here. The only thing that was reasonably affordable was basically soms sort of soup with seafood or meat on a bone in it. It was about 6000 Won, Other foods seem to start at 25000 Won , even a Pizza was 25000-37000 Won at one place we looked at. That is over 25 EU for a meal -

Anjaq,

You were attracted to one of the most expensive restaurants in that area. We seldom go to that kind of European-style restaurant, probably once or twice per month. Families and young couples go there during weekend or for some special events.

Korean-style restaurants are far more economic. There are many ultra-cheap, but still reasonably nice restaurants in that area. For example, cross the subway station (Achasan) and go to Exit #1. You will see the restaurant with the red signboard behind "Paris Baguette".

You see the photos and prices of the menu. I guess it starts with US$ 1. Most of dishes there are less than US$ 5. And, in most cases, that kind of restaurant opens for 24 hours. And, avoid any red food, if you do not like spicy food.

BTW, a few weeks ago, I went to that kind of European-style restaurant at my hometown with two of my friends. I paid more than US$ 200 with 2 bottles of wine.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

barbie

If you walk further, you will see another similar restaurant.

It clearly says that it opens for 24 hours. It starts with US$ 1.00 (gimbab: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimbap ).

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

ImagineKate

For this one I decided not to cheap out on the flight. I got a direct flight from JFK.
  •