Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Yeson voice feminization surgery

Started by Jennygirl, April 22, 2013, 06:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anjaq

As I understand it, it varies from person to person. For me he predicted it will increase between month 2 and 4. So I kind of don't even want to try saying any word at all in the first month when three words a day are allowed, because it probably just would sound horrible and low pitched and then I would worry for weeks...

•  

Cindi Jones

I feel like such an old pioneer. When I had my SRS, FFS was hardly common, and VFS hadn't even been tried. So, all I got was the vaginoplasty and some chest silicon. I worked with my voice for years to get it to answer the phone correctly. I notice it slipping down among friends all the time. However, I'm going through a divorce and am screening my calls. I wanted my EX to hear a man's voice if he calls in. So, I pulled out the ole switcheroo. I could not believe the difference between my basso and what my normal slackared voice sound like. If I'm very conscientious, I sound fine and never get stirred. It's just hard to hold that concentration.  I'd like to have VFS, but I seem to get by fine without it although I know my register is down from a typical female. It's all in how you speak. I've had many female friends with much lower voices than what I normally use, yet they sound totally feminine. Think Irish inflection. That actually helped me. I thank you all for contributing to this fabulous topic. I'm sorry I missed it as it was happening.

I suppose that for the time, I was very lucky indeed. I am tall, but I learned to pass pretty quickly. I have found this thread so amazing. Had I the money, I'd spring for it. I'd even get a trache shave. Like that's gonna happen ;) No one would recognize me and I'd have much explaining to do. Yes, I do live my life in stealth.

Chin up,
Cindi
Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

anjaq

Cindy - I know that feeling :P - I was probably quite a bit later than you, but in 1998 when I was heading for my treatments, all that was available was GRS and Breast surgery and then some doctors did voice surgeries but it was a huge risk and usually sounded not really great, and then there was talk about some doctor in California who can do facial surgery to make the face more feminine (it was Dr O ;) ) - but that was about as exotic as the stories of doctors in South or Middle America doing rib removals to give a more feminine mid-torso shape....

But even though all other surgeries are now 15 years in the past, this one was too tempting ;)

Tomorrow is the followup at Dr Kim by the way and then I already have to head home. Did not see enough of Seoul yet.

Bye

•  

barbie

Quote from: anjaq on March 03, 2015, 01:55:32 AM
Did not see enough of Seoul yet.

You may visit N Seoul Tower to see at least a half of Seoul. It takes about 30 mins from Phil House with a ca. 15,000 KRW taxi fare.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

ElleA

Hi guys started talking today. After pretty much saying nothing for a month. It's a little tough to talk but my voice is definitely higher. It surprised me as I thought I wouldn't notice any thing for at least another month. Still couldn't be happier being able to talk even a little.
  •  

anjaq

Looking forward to that moment already :P - Stupid text recognition on the cellphone I use to type and show bugs me. It doe snot know all the words I want to use - well it has 3 more weeks to learn ;)

•  

ElleA

Oh there will be plenty of those anjaq. Having to type everything is the most frustrating part.
  •  

anjaq

Yes. I tried to sign some times, but often I cannot get across what I mean

At least I have Swype on my phone so typing is a ton faster. The text to speech engine is not that amazing though, it sounds still artificial a bit. Ah well.... 3 weeks.

•  

Cindi Jones

You know, I went to bed thinking about this last night. I get by fine when I'm thinking about it but wouldn't it be great if I never had to think about controlling my voice ever again? I wish I weren't in the middle of a divorce. I'd probably sign up.
Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

anjaq

Yes. Same thoughts on my side. Not wanting to think about it again. It keeps reminding me in all situations tha tI am different and I want at least some of the time to just forget ;)

•  

Teslagirl

Quote from: Cindi Jones on March 03, 2015, 12:05:09 PM
You know, I went to bed thinking about this last night. I get by fine when I'm thinking about it but wouldn't it be great if I never had to think about controlling my voice ever again? I wish I weren't in the middle of a divorce. I'd probably sign up.
I'm in the exact same position as you Cindi. No-one ever questions my voice or even looks at me oddly as the pitch is female. However, I notice it isn't truly female as I control my voice, and even though it's now automatic, I don't think it sounds like other women. Then I would love to be able to sing, shout and sneeze and not worry what it might sound like. I'm no spring chicken, and am not sure of the benefit/risk ratio at my age. I am also a teacher and worry about taking risks with my livelyhood.

Sarah.
  •  

Cindi Jones

I can naturally move my voice up a full octave but the thing that made me sound female was altering the way I talked. Inflections are very different between men and women. I used to practice with a phone answering machine to get mine to sound right. People have noted that I normally speak a bit lower, VS how I sound on the phone (I am perfect on the phone because I'm thinking about it) but I always get the inflections correct.

I recorded my natural voice two days ago to change my answering machine announcement and I was really quite amazed that I used to speak like that all the time.
Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

divineintervention

Quote from: voodle on February 13, 2015, 08:19:31 PM
:D Here's nearly 2 years on (may 13 > feb 15), Also I saw a speech therapist and now it sounds possibly even better? Sort of

I just watched this - you sound and look amazing!! Don't see how you can be depressed...

this is like 300% pass for me lol
  •  

divineintervention

Quote from: AmyBerlin on December 28, 2014, 04:38:25 PM
Dear divineintervention,

I'm a professional musician (mostly piano/guitar) and had the Yeson surgery 8 months ago. My preconditions were far from ideal in that I had (for somebody who'd gone through male puberty) extremely short (about the size of an alto's), but thick vocal cords. I was a baritone before, with about Eb2-F4 chest voice, F4-C5 falsetto, C5-G#5 whistle.

Because of the shortened vocal cords, I have now about soprano vocal cord length, but due to the thickness, I have alto range. Chest voice starts from a C3, with full volume available from Eb3, that transitions smoothly into head voice at around G4. That's about the most important change: chest and head voice blend seamlessly now. If needed, I can belt chest voice up to B4. Head voice ends at around G5, and E5-G5 require sufficient support and quite some volume. I haven't been able to use whistle voice post-surgery (yet). Maybe I haven't found it yet, who knows.

I have been singing choir alto parts post-surgery no problem and am in the process of recording some of my own tunes. I can keep you posted on how that goes.

Regards,

Amy

Hi Amy,

just a short clip of singing would delightful!

Thank you so much as one of the main reasons I am getting the surgery is to be able to sing female songs without feeling embarrassed.

Thanks
  •  

Cindi Jones

Dang, even the low voice in the hoodie vid sounds fabulous. However, notice how she carries herself and the hand gestures. People pick up on those cues. She is totally and unquestionably feminine, no matter how she speaks.

Cindi
Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

anjaq

Quote from: Cindi Jones on March 09, 2015, 09:00:19 PM
Dang, even the low voice in the hoodie vid sounds fabulous.

Which video are you talking about? Jamie's, I presume? Indeed - I found it fascinating that the "I try a boy voice now" seems to just not really work anymore with some. Its good for amusement only ;) - Like any woman trying to do a boy voice - sounds fake. This is very cool... :)

•  

Cindi Jones

What's the going price on this and how long does it take to schedule?
Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

ImagineKate

Quote from: Cindi Jones on March 10, 2015, 04:18:06 PM
What's the going price on this and how long does it take to schedule?

It's about 7500USD plus the botox and they're booked solid 4 months or so out. Figure about 10k if you include travel and lodging expense.
  •  

ImagineKate

Quote from: Cindi Jones on March 09, 2015, 09:00:19 PM
Dang, even the low voice in the hoodie vid sounds fabulous. However, notice how she carries herself and the hand gestures. People pick up on those cues. She is totally and unquestionably feminine, no matter how she speaks.

Cindi

They do pick up on cues but these cues are not visible on the phone (or in my case, podcasts I make guest appearances on). Honestly I think the hand gestures are a minor part of it. The pitch is a big part of it, with resonance being second and prosody (sing songy voice) being third.
  •  

Cindi Jones

I've used the sing song voice as you call it. I tend to think of it as speaking in my own version of an Irish accent. I tend to lift the end of each sentence as if it were a question. There's enough difference just in that to get me by perfectly. It's just when I'm among friends and I forget. Still, even at that, my voice is more like a young teen. I recorded a new message on my answering machine with my original voice. I'm going through a divorce and don't want anyone to think that I'm alone. My mother called today and I picked up after she started to record her message. She asked, "Who's that man?" I told her it was my real voice and she WOULD NOT believe me until I gave her a sentence in the old me and it blew her away. But here's the thing. I would love to sing again and even with limited ability and range, something would be better than what I have now. 10K might be doable. That would leave me mighty short on savings (as in nothing) in case I needed it. Dang, I want to do this, even at my age where it shouldn't make one bit of difference.
Author of Squirrel Cage
  •