News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Yeson voice feminization surgery

Started by Jennygirl, April 22, 2013, 06:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iKate

Quote from: Teslagirl on June 24, 2015, 03:04:24 PM
Why are you even up? You're 8 hours ahead of me so it must be around 5am for you?

Sarah

Hehe it's 5am here. I'm an early riser. I usually get up at 5 every day.
  •  

Lynne

I'm glad you arrived there safely. How do you feel? Are you still excited?
  •  

iKate

Quote from: Lynne on June 24, 2015, 03:06:57 PM
I'm glad you arrived there safely. How do you feel? Are you still excited?

Very! It's a strange and new experience in Seoul for sure but I'm happy I'm here. It's not so hard to navigate either.

I will know more about my situation at the pre op appointment later today.
  •  

Teslagirl

Quote from: iKate on June 24, 2015, 03:05:25 PM
Hehe it's 5am here. I'm an early riser. I usually get up at 5 every day.
Does Phil House do a breakfast in the room rate?
  •  

anjaq

Phil House breakfast seemed to be toast, peanut butter and jelly plus coffee or tea . Except the day we actually wanted this and the bread was gone. So we kind of switched to do our own breakfast and store the stuff we need in the fridge.

•  

Teslagirl

Quote from: anjaq on June 24, 2015, 04:46:06 PM
Phil House breakfast seemed to be toast, peanut butter and jelly plus coffee or tea . Except the day we actually wanted this and the bread was gone. So we kind of switched to do our own breakfast and store the stuff we need in the fridge.
Oh no, just checked. Phil House has no rooms except dorms for the 20th July!!
  •  

iKate

So far Amex credit card has given me the best rate, just 0.2% above mid market. No forex fees either with my card.
  •  

barbie

Ikate,

Nice to hear that you arrived without any serious problem. You seem to be very good at travelling in foreign countries. It will be very humid during your stay, as the monsoon already stared here, and will start tomorrow in Seoul.

I am going to fly to Seoul tomorrow for a meeting, but will return at night. It is like commuting from here to Seoul through airplane and subway.

Enjoy your stay in Seoul.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

katrinaw

Hi Kate,

There at last... best wishes for the surgery  :-*

L Katy
Long term MTF in transition... HRT since ~ 2003...
Journey recommenced Sept 2015  :eusa_clap:... planning FT 2016  :eusa_pray:

Randomly changing 'Katy PIC's'

Live life, embrace life and love life xxx
  •  

iKate

Quote from: barbie on June 25, 2015, 02:51:49 AM
Ikate,

Nice to hear that you arrived without any serious problem. You seem to be very good at travelling in foreign countries. It will be very humid during your stay, as the monsoon already stared here, and will start tomorrow in Seoul.

I am going to fly to Seoul tomorrow for a meeting, but will return at night. It is like commuting from here to Seoul through airplane and subway.

Enjoy your stay in Seoul.

barbie~~

Thanks Barbie! I wish I could have seen you. I will be doing the op today at Yeson but I guess if they take visitors you can come? I am not sure.
  •  

iKate

Pre-op went well. They had some modification to the usual instructions for me, but I'm on track. For example I take my blood pressure meds before the surgery.

They have some modern equipment here but some of the basic ones tended to not behave, like the blood pressure cuff. Anyway after a few tries they were good to go.

I went in a dress and that was probably a mistake as I had to undress for EKG and chest X-Ray and wear a pair of pants in the exam room. However it was no big deal really. Dr Kim said wear whatever I want.

They did the whole comprehensive exam. They are extremely thorough, going through every last little detail. Dr Kim did the whole "camera up nose" thing to take pics of my vocal folds but also had to make me stick out my tongue for the endoscopy. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, just a little ticklish and I had to try not to gag when they did the one via the mouth.

Jessie was there all the way and was really super nice. She had to interpret for the assistants who only spoke Korean.

I have tremors and Dr Kim showed me that. I also have asymmetry. So I do get the botox next Friday as well. He showed me videos of Jenny and the Korean girl as well as some others of normal vocal folds to illustrate the issues I was having. He explained everything very well. When they did the air volume test I had like 4x the air volume of a normal person, which is expected since I have trained myself to project my voice for public speaking and radio.

My Fo was 160Hz, "trained" voice was 190Hz and lowest was about 140Hz. At 190Hz I was almost breaking to falsetto he was saying. This is a surprise as it's higher than I thought. I think since going full time I have been raising my voice subconsciously. He said I would get anywhere from 205 to 270Hz post op but to just speak naturally so I don't go too too high. He said I will definitely be female range but he wants me to train for the middle. I joked and said that not even he could make me sound like Mariah Carey... but I will try! He laughed.

He asks a lot of questions, how do you train your voice, do you sing etc. He also asked about how long I've been transitioned, living full time etc.

I know in the past people had concerns about misgendering by the staff but I had none of them. Jessie referred to me as "miss <my passport name>" as soon as I came in. I told her I go by (Kate) now and she asked what should she call me. Nobody misgendered me, at least not in English. One of the assistants thought my mom was there for the op and not me, lol (and my mom is obviously cisgender).

One more thing, my mom was a nurse in the ENT ward for many years and she was there with me for my consultation. Dr Kim called her in as well to help me understand. It's really nice if you go with someone, especially someone who knows.
  •  

kwala

Quote from: iKate on June 25, 2015, 09:09:32 AM
Pre-op went well. They had some modification to the usual instructions for me, but I'm on track. For example I take my blood pressure meds before the surgery.

They have some modern equipment here but some of the basic ones tended to not behave, like the blood pressure cuff. Anyway after a few tries they were good to go.

I went in a dress and that was probably a mistake as I had to undress for EKG and chest X-Ray and wear a pair of pants in the exam room. However it was no big deal really. Dr Kim said wear whatever I want.

They did the whole comprehensive exam. They are extremely thorough, going through every last little detail. Dr Kim did the whole "camera up nose" thing to take pics of my vocal folds but also had to make me stick out my tongue for the endoscopy. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, just a little ticklish and I had to try not to gag when they did the one via the mouth.

Jessie was there all the way and was really super nice. She had to interpret for the assistants who only spoke Korean.

I have tremors and Dr Kim showed me that. I also have asymmetry. So I do get the botox next Friday as well. He showed me videos of Jenny and the Korean girl as well as some others of normal vocal folds to illustrate the issues I was having. He explained everything very well. When they did the air volume test I had like 4x the air volume of a normal person, which is expected since I have trained myself to project my voice for public speaking and radio.

My Fo was 160Hz, "trained" voice was 190Hz and lowest was about 140Hz. At 190Hz I was almost breaking to falsetto he was saying. This is a surprise as it's higher than I thought. I think since going full time I have been raising my voice subconsciously. He said I would get anywhere from 205 to 270Hz post op but to just speak naturally so I don't go too too high. He said I will definitely be female range but he wants me to train for the middle. I joked and said that not even he could make me sound like Mariah Carey... but I will try! He laughed.

He asks a lot of questions, how do you train your voice, do you sing etc. He also asked about how long I've been transitioned, living full time etc.

I know in the past people had concerns about misgendering by the staff but I had none of them. Jessie referred to me as "miss <my passport name>" as soon as I came in. I told her I go by (Kate) now and she asked what should she call me. Nobody misgendered me, at least not in English. One of the assistants thought my mom was there for the op and not me, lol (and my mom is obviously cisgender).

One more thing, my mom was a nurse in the ENT ward for many years and she was there with me for my consultation. Dr Kim called her in as well to help me understand. It's really nice if you go with someone, especially someone who knows.
Thanks for all the info and so happy that you are about to undergo this amazing procedure!
  •  

Lynne

Maybe a little late, but good luck with the surgery and thank you for sharing your experience!
  •  

anjaq

Thats so funny with your mum being asked if she was there for the surgery - lol - how did she react?

I think Dr Kim did not ask me so many details about how I trained my voice or how long I was transitioned - but I dont remember. I wish they would do the explanations of the voice exercises before the surgery though - anyone going there in the future - maybe ask if they can do that. Its probably a lot easier if you can reproduce them and be corrected if you do them wrong - rather than just be a silent listener in the presentation of the exercises.

•  

iKate

Quote from: anjaq on June 25, 2015, 12:12:55 PM
Thats so funny with your mum being asked if she was there for the surgery - lol - how did she react?

She was a bit confused but I immediately said, "right here!" And when she heard the voice she took me back to the consultation room.

QuoteI think Dr Kim did not ask me so many details about how I trained my voice or how long I was transitioned - but I dont remember. I wish they would do the explanations of the voice exercises before the surgery though - anyone going there in the future - maybe ask if they can do that. Its probably a lot easier if you can reproduce them and be corrected if you do them wrong - rather than just be a silent listener in the presentation of the exercises.

He asked me to explain my transition and asked me about how long I am on hormones so I explained how I felt like this as a little kid and then proceeded to explain my history.

I will ask for explanation of the voice exercises when I'm there for the follow up next Friday.

What is interesting is that he showed the 2 month and 7 month videos of Jenny and explained how it would be good if I saw a professional voice therapist after I healed to deal with things like resonance. He also said if my voice starts to give out and get croaky to send them a voice file.

My guess is he has been getting feedback about people who get the surgery then don't get the voice they expect so he wants to make sure and set the correct expectation and also inform people how to properly use the surgery as part of an overall voice rehab and not just a magic surgery that will give them a female voice.
  •  

anjaq

Ah ok - well maybe he was asking this because you were still having a wrong name in the passport... I think he skipped those questions with me after I told him that I had all of thos things 15 years behind me.

But yes - its important to use voice therapy and do the exercises - I know my voice always is better right after them. And some people go there thinking its a magic bullet giving them a femme voice without training and then they end up with a  higher pitched but still male sounding voice and are sad, so its good he tells people that this is not how it works.

•  

Teslagirl

All my best wishes for your surgery Kate.

Sarah.
  •  

Cadence Jean

Does anybody have a copy of the exercises that Dr. Kim prescribes? I wonder if I'd benefit from them...
to make more better goodness

I have returned to recording on TransByDef!  Watch us at: https://www.youtube.com/TransByDef
  •  

Teslagirl

Quote from: Cadence Jean on June 25, 2015, 04:41:17 PM
Does anybody have a copy of the exercises that Dr. Kim prescribes? I wonder if I'd benefit from them...
I have a video which I think came from here somewhere, called Some questions about Yeson.mp4. It goes through some of the exercises but it's 31MB so uploading it might be difficult. Does anyone remember where this is on Susan's?

Sarah
  •  

Teslagirl

Found it. It's on Youtube. Search for 'CVRP video'

Sarah.
  •