Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Yeson voice feminization surgery

Started by Jennygirl, April 22, 2013, 06:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iKate

Quote from: Teslagirl on June 26, 2015, 04:53:42 PM
Do you hear much about the MERS virus Kate? And is everyone wearing a facemask even though it's the monsoon season? (How wet is it there?)

I heard about it. I wanted to do the DMZ tour but I was told it was canceled due to MERS. I wear a mask because I don't want dust, smoke and other crud to affect me before and after I went to Dr Kim. Granted it's not China and Korea is relatively clean but pollution is pollution. I bought an 8 pack for ₩2000.

It was wet yesterday. I carried an umbrella. It dried up in the afternoon when I left. It's not like spring in the US I think, but that was just one day. Who knows. In New Jersey where I live it floods and floods in some places. It did wet my shoes though (ballet flats made with organic cotton) which I wasn't that happy about but it should have dried out by now. I have sneakers to go out with as a backup.

You really seem to be taking Korea in your stride. I'd heard that Koreans stare a lot, particularly at foreigners and because I'm blonde I wonder if I might get a lot of that... Have you noticed any particular attention by being foreign?

I have noticed some stares. I am a foreigner without a doubt and I am not white (ethnic Indian from the Caribbean). I just take it in stride, maybe wave once or twice. People then look away. I am not that tall, 5'6" but I am a bit taller than a lot of Korean women, most of whom I noticed were pretty petite.

Blonde? You'll fit right in. Don't worry. A lot of Korean women seem to color their hair.

And yes, I enjoy being a tourist, especially in the age of social media. I love taking pics, selfies and other wild photos and sharing them.

For example:

Me doing a poor imitation of Psy in gangnam style... It got a few laughs on FB, and one of my (cis woman) friends told me I had a nice rack, LOL.
  •  

anjaq

When I was there Koreans stared more at this:

They did not bother much about foreign tourists...

When you get the face masks, make sure they are the right ones. They sell cheap ones that are only against smell or cold wind or against big dust particles - you need to get the ones with the fine mesh size to filter out very small particles.

•  

Teslagirl

Quote from: anjaq on June 26, 2015, 05:19:17 PM

When you get the face masks, make sure they are the right ones. They sell cheap ones that are only against smell or cold wind or against big dust particles - you need to get the ones with the fine mesh size to filter out very small particles.

Can I buy those in the airport Anja, and how would I know good from not so good masks?

Sarah.
  •  

barbie

Quote from: anjaq on June 26, 2015, 11:08:57 AM
What I hated about the subway in Seoul: You drive for 5 minutes and then you walk for 10 minutes at the transfer subway station over a mile to catch the next train. Especially the transfer at the terminal station of the yellow line.

Seoul city strongly encourages people to walk at least 4 km per day. Obesity already became a serious health problem here in S. Korea, especially among kids and 20s. When I see girls at their 20s, their over-weighted bodies remind me of those women at 30 or 40s in rural areas of the U.S.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

barbie

Quote from: Teslagirl on June 26, 2015, 04:53:42 PM
Do you hear much about the MERS virus Kate? And is everyone wearing a facemask even though it's the monsoon season? (How wet is it there?)

You really seem to be taking Korea in your stride. I'd heard that Koreans stare a lot, particularly at foreigners and because I'm blonde I wonder if I might get a lot of that... Have you noticed any particular attention by being foreign?

Yesterday I noticed that people in the street watch me instead of other beautiful Russian girls. When I was in Namdaemun market, sellers there commented that I am so much tall and I could hear their chatting.

Yes. People watch me even in Japan or Germany.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

iKate

Quote from: barbie on June 26, 2015, 08:46:42 PM
Seoul city strongly encourages people to walk at least 4 km per day. Obesity already became a serious health problem here in S. Korea, especially among kids and 20s. When I see girls at their 20s, their over-weighted bodies remind me of those women at 30 or 40s in rural areas of the U.S.

barbie~~

My mom really commented that everyone here seems so fit. It makes sense now.

Then again she is comparing it to America...
  •  

iKate

Quote from: Teslagirl on June 26, 2015, 06:24:12 PM
Can I buy those in the airport Anja, and how would I know good from not so good masks?

Sarah.

A lot of the pharmacies and convenience stores have them.
  •  

barbie

Quote from: iKate on June 25, 2015, 08:35:55 AM
Thanks Barbie! I wish I could have seen you. I will be doing the op today at Yeson but I guess if they take visitors you can come? I am not sure.

You seem to undergo the voice surgery very quickly. Hopefully you will get satisfactory result.

I can go to Seoul at any time if I wish. When are you going to leave?

Yesterday at Namdaemun market. We had a meeting at a nearby building.

barbie~~
barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

anjaq

•  

Andre87

Quote from: anjaq on June 26, 2015, 05:19:17 PM
When I was there Koreans stared more at this:

This is so sad..they're just starring at their cellphones. :-\
Every man is a star whose light can make shadows dance differently and change our view of landscape permanently***
  •  

iKate

Quote from: barbie on June 27, 2015, 12:42:53 AM
You seem to undergo the voice surgery very quickly. Hopefully you will get satisfactory result.

I can go to Seoul at any time if I wish. When are you going to leave?

Yesterday at Namdaemun market. We had a meeting at a nearby building.

barbie~~
barbie~~

I'm leaving on Saturday, July 4. I have my follow up with Dr Kim on Thursday. I would be happy to meet you at your convenience but I am unable to talk so I will use my smartphone to communicate (text to speech). Let me know what day works for you.
  •  

barbie

Quote from: iKate on June 26, 2015, 11:02:45 PM
My mom really commented that everyone here seems so fit. It makes sense now.

Then again she is comparing it to America...

Nowadays, bodies of young girls at their 20s here look like the typical 30s or 40s in America.

These girls are all at their 20s.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

barbie

Quote from: iKate on June 27, 2015, 07:48:50 AM
I'm leaving on Saturday, July 4. I have my follow up with Dr Kim on Thursday. I would be happy to meet you at your convenience but I am unable to talk so I will use my smartphone to communicate (text to speech). Let me know what day works for you.

I am in summer vacation and several friends in Seoul are eager to meet me. Yes. I will send PM you if I decide to fly to Seoul next week.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

barbie

Quote from: Andre87 on June 27, 2015, 07:36:36 AM
This is so sad..they're just starring at their cellphones. :-\

All of my family members including my little daughter at 11 years old have smartphone. One day, I noticed all of them watch their smartphone at the same time at home. We frequently communicate through text messenger. My two sons seldom send a text message to me, but my daughter frequently. To prevent any eye problem, I purchased a tablet for my daughter, but she still prefer the smartphone for watching Youtube videos.

Starring at smartphones becomes a kind of ubiquitous culture here, regardless of age or generation. I am sure most of them are playing game, watching movie or exchanging text messages.

barbie~~

Just do it.
  •  

iKate

Day 2 or is it day 3? I can't remember. Taking all the medications and synatura cough suppressant. So far I haven't coughed once which is great and I've been totally silent. Using text to speech on my mac (option+Esc) and my iPhone.

I am also really getting how to bypass the cough with a wide open mouth and saying "ahh" without phonating. Just feeling a small tickle in my throat and no pain really. I start back my hormones today.

I may venture outside to walk around a bit later.

Food wise, my mom went and bought some stuff and made me some soup. :)

Groceries are expensive as expected...

Best exchange rate is with your credit card if you have no forex fee. For cash, I used my ATM card, Navy FCU charges 1% plus $1 (which is reimbursed with my account). If I was able to go to the base I would have 0 fees, but that is not possible. That is in addition to the fee charged by the Korean ATM operator.
  •  

anjaq

Groceries are only expensive if you try to get western food. We paid a fortune on sanwhich bread, some sort of cheese-product and some ham plus butter-surrogate. lol.
If you buy fruits and veggies it cheap. Chicken is affordable. All else seems to be expensive. The take-out restaurants are quite ok - if you cross the main street with the subway, there are a few places that have takeout ans some stalls on the street that sell fried stuff - ususally its some sort of surimi, octopus, vegetables, noodles rolled in algae or chicken. There is also a small fried chicken place that we found was ok and one portion is enough for two unless you are eating a lot. avoid the soups though - they are certainly ot exactly western taste :P . around the corner to the right when heading to the subway there is a large electronics store and behind that there is a fish restaurant that looked nice and in the street to the right of that there are some more places that sell more or less food we are used to - fried schnitzel, chicken, fish, that sort of thing. And those are usually below 10kWon. There is a list of restaurants at the reception of phil house.

•  

barbie

Quote from: iKate on June 27, 2015, 05:04:26 PM
Food wise, my mom went and bought some stuff and made me some soup. :)

Groceries are expensive as expected...

Near the subway station (Achasan), I can see the following two affordable restaurants. The price of each meal started at 1,000 KRW (US$ 1).

These restaurants are like Chinese restaurant in the U.S., very cheap.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

iKate

I went to Lotteria across the street. I will try those places. What kind of food can I get for ₩1000?

I like the cream soup I got at Yeson. I may buy a few packets to take home and look for it in the Korean grocery.
  •  

barbie

Quote from: iKate on June 28, 2015, 03:09:31 AM
I went to Lotteria across the street. I will try those places. What kind of food can I get for ₩1000?

I like the cream soup I got at Yeson. I may buy a few packets to take home and look for it in the Korean grocery.

Gimbab: KRW 1,000. You may order other menu after looking the photos of food. It usually costs around KRW 5,000 (US$ 5).

Lotteria is like McDonald, and kids and young people go there. I see some big Bulgogi restaurants near Phil House.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulgogi

Pork bulgogi costs about KRW 40,000~50,000 for two persons, and beef bulgogi costs about KRW 100,000 for two persons. You may try it for full dinner.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

anjaq

Bulgogi is great! but massively expensive. We only found those places when we first looked around for food and were shocked. We did this once in the whole trip as a special finish to the trip before the flight home.

Gimbap and such can be 1000 Won or 1500 Won, same with those fried things they sell on the street. They are good but of course one 1500 Won piece will usually not make a full dinner unless you are tiny. We sometimes bought an assortment of those - some gimbap, some small pieces  of fried octopus or surimi or chicken and brought it all home, bought a sauce we liked at a convenience store and that was a nice cheap  "TV-Dinner" for like 4000-5000 per person.

•