Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Help support Susan's Place Transgender Resources

Started by Susan, July 22, 2013, 11:00:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bethany

Susan, I wish that there was something other than paypal that we could use in order to make the donations. With paypal you are losing roughly $0.10 for every dollar donated. So if someone donated $50 you are only seeing about $45 out of that. And that will add up to a lot of lost revenue.
  •  

Joe.

I thought I read somewhere you can donate via debit/credit card instead of PayPal? Is this still possible? Maybe I dreamt it haha.
  •  

bethany

From what I saw all donations go through paypal and they take their cut. Out of all the donations that are shown in the donations page over $45 went to paypal and not to Susan. I rather Susan get the money over paypal.
  •  

DriftingCrow

Quote from: Susan on July 24, 2013, 09:51:16 PM
You are supposed to be able to pay using a card without a paypal account.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/mer/WAX_landing-outside

Susan posted this a few days ago (emphasis added)

Here's part of the link Susan provided:

QuoteFor new buyers, signing up for a PayPal account is now optional. This means your customers can complete their payments first, and then decide whether to save their information in a PayPal account for future purchases. The checkout is more convenient, resulting in more completed sales and satisfied customers.

Best of all, this upgrade requires no action on your part. The checkout automatically applies to Website Payment tools like Buy Now Buttons, Donations, and PayPal Shopping Cart, as well as our Request Money and PayPal Invoicing features.

Here's how this easier checkout works:
1.Customers enter their name and shipping address.
2.They're prompted for their credit card, email address, and phone number.
3.(Optional) After reviewing their information, they may choose to save their information by creating a PayPal account to make future transactions faster.
Please note that PayPal's fraud prevention measures remain in effect for buyers who use this checkout. PayPal applies the same techniques for this checkout as it does for other transactions.
ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤੈ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤੁ
  •  

Joe.

Ah excellent, that's what I was hoping. Thanks for reiterating.
  •  

bethany

Ok I just looked at the paypal site. The fees are being taken out on Susans end not ours. She has to pay a 2.9% + .30 per transaction. 

see here. https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/merchant-fees
  •  

Susan

And I get a cheaper rate soon, they already called me on it.
Susan Larson
Founder
Susan's Place Transgender Resources

Help support this website and our community by Donating or Subscribing!
  •  

bethany

Quote from: Susan on July 28, 2013, 09:26:15 PM
And I get a cheaper rate soon, they already called me on it.

Awesome I want you to get every penny that you can. I would rather pay for a stamp  and mail you a check than to give paypal another cent. they should just charge the 2.9% or the $0.30 but not both.
  •  

Taka

yep, i'm subscribing as well. now i have to start making sure i always have that much money on my card...

just a suggestion for you, susan:
can't you think about making a somewhat symbolic subscription of like, $2. for those poor souls who really want to contribute but don't really have the financial freedom to plan having those $10 left every month? it's almost nothing, but gives about as much as clicking a few ads would. i also feel a bit sorry for those who can't afford to get into the just for us forums. i'm pretty sure that anyone who can afford it, and wants to donate, would still choose one of the higher sums for their subscription, this would only make it easier for more people to subscribe.
  •  

Cindy

Quote from: Taka on July 30, 2013, 08:28:20 AM
yep, i'm subscribing as well. now i have to start making sure i always have that much money on my card...

just a suggestion for you, susan:
can't you think about making a somewhat symbolic subscription of like, $2. for those poor souls who really want to contribute but don't really have the financial freedom to plan having those $10 left every month? it's almost nothing, but gives about as much as clicking a few ads would. i also feel a bit sorry for those who can't afford to get into the just for us forums. i'm pretty sure that anyone who can afford it, and wants to donate, would still choose one of the higher sums for their subscription, this would only make it easier for more people to subscribe.

Hi Hon,

Have a read of this thread.

https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,145604.0.html

Hugs C

•  

Amelia Pond

Quote from: Cindy on July 30, 2013, 08:42:13 AM
Hi Hon,

Have a read of this thread.

https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,145604.0.html

Hugs C

Yes Cindy, we all know how absolutely awesome you are. No need to flaunt it. ;)

Seriously, that is really awesome of you to do that for those who can't afford to help. :)

Amy
  •  

Renee

When I am able to subscribe, probably next week after I get paid, is there anyway to opt out of the badges that label you as such? 

Cause really, I don't need no stinkin' badges.... ;D
  •  

Amelia Pond

Quote from: Ralph on July 30, 2013, 09:15:10 AM
When I am able to subscribe, probably next week after I get paid, is there anyway to opt out of the badges that label you as such? 

Cause really, I don't need no stinkin' badges.... ;D

I know what you mean but no, it sticks itself there and stays. I don't see a way to change it in Group Membership.

Amy
  •  

Susan

Quote from: Taka on July 30, 2013, 08:28:20 AM
Just a suggestion for you, susan: can't you think about making a somewhat symbolic subscription of like, $2. for those poor souls who really want to contribute but don't really have the financial freedom to plan having those $10 left every month

Taka I posted a response on a staff thread, I will share it here as well.

We have options for people who cannot donate or subscribe.
Quote from: Susan on July 30, 2013, 11:04:09 AM
We have ways for people who cannot donate to still get access to the benefits including one of the many badges. They can pm Cindy and ask her to consider them for one of her 100 membership scholarships. They can also volunteer to serve on the site staff.

As for the token donations they already exist. You can specify an amount, and while the recommended minimum is $5.00, you can donate as low as $1.00. I will reject anything lower as it would only benefits paypal.

Quote from: Susan on July 30, 2013, 11:04:09 AMThere is also the fact that currently Donations do not expire so someone can donate $1.00 and they get a donor badge for at least a year.

The badges mean nothing more than whatever you assign to them.  This is all that matters:

Quote from: Susan on July 30, 2013, 11:04:09 AM
Last but not least, no one on this site should look down at people who are unable to subscribe or donate, and If I catch anyone doing so I will kick their ass be they staff, donator, or subscriber.

I don't cuss often so when I do, you can be damn sure I mean it.

Everyone who registers on this site gets the only badge that ever really matters even if they never donate or subscribe, that is as a member.
Susan Larson
Founder

•  

Tessa James

I am now a silver subscriber.  How do I put that neat banner on my profile?

Tj
Open, out and evolving queer trans person forever with HRT support since March 13, 2013
  •  

E-Brennan

From a privacy perspective, what does a donation to this site look like on a Paypal statement?  Does it reference Susan's Place, or does it show up as some kind of generic donation?
  •  

Susan

Quote from: Michele on August 03, 2013, 03:24:08 PM
From a privacy perspective, what does a donation to this site look like on a Paypal statement?  Does it reference Susan's Place, or does it show up as some kind of generic donation?

It doesn't name the site, nor does it say transgender  that's all I can say in a public forum. *looks at the search engines* In the subscriber news forum you get access to once you donate, I tell you exactly what that is, along with a plausible explanation to use if you are still in the closet.
Susan Larson
Founder

•  

E-Brennan

Thanks Susan. Donation sent.

Cheapest therapy ever.   :)
  •  

Joe.

I'm about to subscribe, but I'm wary that I may not have that much in my bank account every month. Is it the same date every month that my card will be charged? Also, can I subscribe for just one month at a time, so say like I subscribe this month but don't have the money next month can I stop being a subscriber for 1 month then become a subscriber again? I hope this makes sense
  •  

Susan

You can make month by month payments. You do not have to have it automatically draft. You will receive a notification a few days before it expires that it's time to renew. You then chose when and if to renew for the next month. To subscribe for one month only; uncheck the Make this a recurring payment box at the bottom after you click order.
Susan Larson
Founder

•