News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Video Games You Regret Purchasing

Started by King Malachite, July 29, 2013, 07:48:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kristal

Quote from: Willow on November 01, 2013, 11:04:44 AM
I regret pretty much every one. Except Nightfire, MGS2, MGS3, Fallout 3, and the Mass Effect series.

You DIDN'T regret MGS2? I'm sorry, Willow, but I don't think we can be friends any more...
I'm not here to decorate your world.
  •  

~RoadToTrista~

I just paid for a month of WoW about 2 or 3 days ago. The subscription's now canceled. -.-" I'm sick of mean people.
  •  

Jaelithe

Final fantasy 7, godawful ending with no conclusion to the biggest issue the story brought up(also I hate the materia system).

Phantasy Star Online, fooled by the PS moniker into buying a Diablo clone.

•  

Jaelithe

Also Dead Space, terribad story telling.

And Borderlands 1, so many issues I'd have to link to my multi page review where I tear it a new oriface.

•  

Horizon

Quote from: Jaelithe on November 02, 2013, 08:23:19 PM
Borderlands 1, so many issues I'd have to link to my multi page review where I tear it a new oriface.

Pffft, Borderlands wasn't a game - it was a Skinner box with an overly inviting aesthetic  ;)
  •  

geek

Quote from: ~RoadToTrista~ on November 02, 2013, 07:08:36 PM
I just paid for a month of WoW about 2 or 3 days ago. The subscription's now canceled. -.-" I'm sick of mean people.
people in wow have a tendancy to be dicks, we aren't all bad though! ;_;

though on topic.. i did similar, just paid for new month.. and now have no time as im geocaching or doing geocaching related things in all my spare minutes at the moment :p

•  

Jaelithe

Quote from: Horizon on November 02, 2013, 09:52:56 PM
Pffft, Borderlands wasn't a game - it was a Skinner box with an overly inviting aesthetic  ;)

Only in my experience it was a hair pulling, frustrating aesthetic. Otherwise I completely agree ^^

•  

Miyuki

The game I most regret buying was Halo 2. Horrible, horrible game. They threw good balance and gameplay mechanics out the window in favor of nonsensical fluff like dual wielding. I also hated the online mode and how you couldn't just customize the settings for a match and host it, but rather had to play the same old boring games modes over and over. Plus the online community was enough to make anyone lose faith in humanity. This may surprise you to know, but early on in the life of Xbox Live, the online community was composed mainly of intelligent reasonable people. Halo 2 was the beginning of the end for that. But that's why I never play shooters on consoles anymore (or at all really, with a few exceptions).

Quote from: Jaelithe on November 02, 2013, 08:20:55 PM
Final fantasy 7, godawful ending with no conclusion to the biggest issue the story brought up(also I hate the materia system).

Phantasy Star Online, fooled by the PS moniker into buying a Diablo clone.

You just said you regretted purchasing two of my favorite games of all time. :o I'll give you that FF7 had an open ended ending, but that can be a good thing sometimes. Sometimes the story is just over before you want it to be, because there's nothing left to tell. Look at what happened when they tried to create an epilogue with Advent Children. It wasn't horrible, but it didn't add anything meaningful to what was already there. I'll also give you that PSO is nothing more than an anime skinned Diablo clone, but I fail to see why anyone would consider that to be a problem. ;) Of course, I'm still waiting for a proper Phantasy Star V, but given this is Sega we're talking about, I doubt it will happen any time while I'm still alive.
  •  

Jaelithe

Quote from: Miyuki on November 08, 2013, 03:46:39 PM

You just said you regretted purchasing two of my favorite games of all time. :o I'll give you that FF7 had an open ended ending, but that can be a good thing sometimes. Sometimes the story is just over before you want it to be, because there's nothing left to tell. Look at what happened when they tried to create an epilogue with Advent Children. It wasn't horrible, but it didn't add anything meaningful to what was already there. I'll also give you that PSO is nothing more than an anime skinned Diablo clone, but I fail to see why anyone would consider that to be a problem. ;) Of course, I'm still waiting for a proper Phantasy Star V, but given this is Sega we're talking about, I doubt it will happen any time while I'm still alive.

My problems with FF7 mostly stem from one key issue. THE single biggest part of the story surrounded Holy, and what would happen when it was unleashed. Would the living essence of the planet accept humanity despite their flaws or wipe them out of existence for literally burning its soul as fuel? After bringing up this issue, and dragging it along for 2 of the 3 disks of story, they refused to answer it at all.

PSO was a huge letdown after the masterpiece that was PSIV. I wish I had known at the time that the PS team had been set on Skies of Arcadia and PSO had been handed off to Sonic Team.

•  

Sephirah

I guess in terms of Final Fantasy, the ones I regretted buying were IX and XII. Hated them both.

IX was, to my tastes, too limiting and way too stylised. I actually want to be able to select a party based on characters I like, not based on the fact that I have to choose certain ones if I want to be able to do certain things. And I didn't like the fact they named the main character after a French football player.

XII was like wallpaper paste. I found it thoroughly boring. Too boring to even be motivated to finish it. And this from the person who finished X-2 twice just to get 100% completion so I could see the epic ending which tied that and X together.

Actually, XIII wasn't that great, either. That was a game which shows what happens when you give the visuals department 99% of the budget and say to them "Y'know how we're good at cut scenes? Well... make a game out of that." Great potential... ruined.
Natura nihil frustra facit.
  •  

Miyuki

Quote from: Jaelithe on November 08, 2013, 03:58:52 PM
My problems with FF7 mostly stem from one key issue. THE single biggest part of the story surrounded Holy, and what would happen when it was unleashed. Would the living essence of the planet accept humanity despite their flaws or wipe them out of existence for literally burning its soul as fuel? After bringing up this issue, and dragging it along for 2 of the 3 disks of story, they refused to answer it at all.

But wasn't that the point? Instead of giving you the answer to what would happen after Holy was used, they left it up to your imagination. The conclusion you should come to is the fate you feel like humanity deserved based on the events that had transpired. You can say it would have been better if they'd just told you what had happened, but I don't think that's really true. If they just tell you it just becomes nothing more than a fact, plain for the world to see. But by leaving you with a sense of mystery instead, they created a game people still talk about decades after it was released.

Quote from: Jaelithe on November 08, 2013, 03:58:52 PM
PSO was a huge letdown after the masterpiece that was PSIV. I wish I had known at the time that the PS team had been set on Skies of Arcadia and PSO had been handed off to Sonic Team.

I didn't actually have the chance to play PSIV until after I played PSO, so I wasn't a victim of that particular let down. But I will admit, if I had been expecting PSO to be PSVI, I might have been disappointed too. Then again, Skies of Arcadia was so good that I don't see how anyone could ask for a better follow up to PSIV, even if it wasn't the sequel people had wanted. The world of video games has too many franchises with endless sequels already.
  •  

Jaelithe

Quote from: Miyuki on November 08, 2013, 04:28:43 PM
But wasn't that the point? Instead of giving you the answer to what would happen after Holy was used, they left it up to your imagination. The conclusion you should come to is the fate you feel like humanity deserved based on the events that had transpired. You can say it would have been better if they'd just told you what had happened, but I don't think that's really true. If they just tell you it just becomes nothing more than a fact, plain for the world to see. But by leaving you with a sense of mystery instead, they created a game people still talk about decades after it was released.

I would have to disagree. I think the game's popularity had more to do with removing itself from the Fantasy genre and dropping most of the fantasy gaming tropes to cater to a lower common denominator. FF6 is my personal favorite, and it's ending included comprehensive epilogues for every character, including all the secret ones.

•  

King Malachite

I regret buying GTA: Liberty City Stories.  At the end of the game I was like "huh?"  That was a piece of crap.  Even more crappy was GTA 3 where I remember trying to save up $5 from scratch to get that game.  I couldn't even finish it because it was so horrible.  What a waste.
Feel the need to ask me something or just want to check out my blog?  Then click below:

http://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,135882.0.html

"Sometimes you have to go through outer hell to get to inner heaven."

"Anomalies can make the best revolutionaries."
  •  

Miyuki

Quote from: Jaelithe on November 08, 2013, 04:47:40 PM
I would have to disagree. I think the game's popularity had more to do with removing itself from the Fantasy genre and dropping most of the fantasy gaming tropes to cater to a lower common denominator. FF6 is my personal favorite, and it's ending included comprehensive epilogues for every character, including all the secret ones.

I like FF6 too, but what is it with people who like FF6 hating FF7? I'm pretty sure this is a thing, because everyone that I've ever known who really liked FF6 hated FF7.
  •  

Jaelithe

Quote from: Miyuki on November 08, 2013, 06:44:14 PM
I like FF6 too, but what is it with people who like FF6 hating FF7? I'm pretty sure this is a thing, because everyone that I've ever known who really liked FF6 hated FF7.

Because, with few exceptions, the cast of FF7 are two dimensional with little to no character growth. Most of them recieve a token segment about "who they are" then are promptly ignored for the rest of the game.

FF6 stands in contrast to that, where almost every character, including the secret optional ones, undergoes massive personal development throughout the story. With the emphasis being on the personal trials of each character instead of revolving around one 'party leader' type.

It's completely possible to enjoy both styles, but I also feel that FF7 was very poorly executed, raising major plot points then constantly discarding them with no resolution and using a main character more unlikable to me than any other besides Squall.

•  

Kristal

Quote from: Sephirah on November 08, 2013, 04:02:06 PM
I guess in terms of Final Fantasy, the ones I regretted buying were IX and XII. Hated them both.

IX was, to my tastes, too limiting and way too stylised. I actually want to be able to select a party based on characters I like, not based on the fact that I have to choose certain ones if I want to be able to do certain things. And I didn't like the fact they named the main character after a French football player.

XII was like wallpaper paste. I found it thoroughly boring. Too boring to even be motivated to finish it. And this from the person who finished X-2 twice just to get 100% completion so I could see the epic ending which tied that and X together.

Actually, XIII wasn't that great, either. That was a game which shows what happens when you give the visuals department 99% of the budget and say to them "Y'know how we're good at cut scenes? Well... make a game out of that." Great potential... ruined.

Please don't tell me that you actually LIKED X & X-2.

I think Square Enix is just trying to make their games worse and worse so that people stop asking for new ones and they can just make movies like they CLEARLY want.
  •  

Sephirah

Quote from: Kristal on November 10, 2013, 02:28:26 PM
Please don't tell me that you actually LIKED X & X-2.

I might have somehow racked up a 300+ hour save file on FFX. *shifty look*

It's my third favourite of the franchise (My favourite being VIII and then VII closely behind it).

X-2 was... I don't know. I liked some of it. I think I liked it more for being a direct sequel to X though, rather than a game in and of itself. And the 100% completion ending in it more than made up for the... unsatisfactory ending in X. It made both games played as a whole a far more satisfying experience. I did love the relationship between Yuna and Lenne in X-2. And that whole sad story of Lenne and Shuyin. I felt it was a very emotionally driven game once you got into it (or allowed yourself to be absorbed into it). One of my friends remarked that X-2 was too much of a "girly" game. But I thought that was one of its strengths.

And the 1000 words song is... well it still gives me goosebumps.

Natura nihil frustra facit.
  •  

Kristal

Quote from: Sephirah on November 10, 2013, 08:55:44 PM
I might have somehow racked up a 300+ hour save file on FFX. *shifty look*

It's my third favourite of the franchise (My favourite being VIII and then VII closely behind it).

X-2 was... I don't know. I liked some of it. I think I liked it more for being a direct sequel to X though, rather than a game in and of itself. And the 100% completion ending in it more than made up for the... unsatisfactory ending in X. It made both games played as a whole a far more satisfying experience. I did love the relationship between Yuna and Lenne in X-2. And that whole sad story of Lenne and Shuyin. I felt it was a very emotionally driven game once you got into it (or allowed yourself to be absorbed into it). One of my friends remarked that X-2 was too much of a "girly" game. But I thought that was one of its strengths.

And the 1000 words song is... well it still gives me goosebumps.

I'll give you that. I liked X-2 better than X, but that's not saying much. I liked The Bouncer better than FFX. "1000 Words" was a magnificent song, and it tells the tragic story of Lenne and Shuyin, and Shuyin's mournful existence without her, in about four minutes. Unlike some other games I could mention...

For me, FFX fails on a story level. I can forgive a lot in a game if the story is good, and the story in X is... not good. It's got the makings of a good story, but it's buried beneath the usual Square Enix practice of "keep piling crap on until we get to four disks". Maybe it's shallow, but I just can't stand Tidus. Especially his constant whining of "This is my story!". No, verszlacha, it's not. It's clearly Yuna's story, we somehow just got caught up following you. I'd much rather be following Auron around, he's got a personal connection to Jecht too, and he's not a complete wimp. And who the hell wears pants with one leg longer than the other anyway!?
  •  

Alice Rogers

Quote from: Jaelithe on November 02, 2013, 08:23:19 PM
Also Dead Space, terribad story telling.

And Borderlands 1, so many issues I'd have to link to my multi page review where I tear it a new oriface.

LOVED both those games o.O Although Borderlands was totally rubbish unless played with a friend.
"I would rather be ashes than dust!
I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot.
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them.
I shall use my time." Jack London
  •  

Jaelithe

Quote from: alex rogers on November 11, 2013, 04:43:23 AM
LOVED both those games o.O Although Borderlands was totally rubbish unless played with a friend.

Okay, I was trying to avoid doing this to spare everyone a TL;DR post, but here goes.

Dead Space-
We're told that the main weapon for the game is actually a mining cutter that Isaac is simply using as a weapon in desperation.  How on earth would a mining cutter that only fires in pistol-like blasts, and can only hold power for 10 such shots(no sustained beams) ever be practical as a tool?

The Ripper is probably the most useful weapon in the game, but it has no point in existing in this universe.  It holds a whirling blade on the end of a tractor beam for somewhere around 15 seconds before said blade is destroyed, it's worthless as a tool and as a weapon save against necromorphs, which nobody knows exist yet.

The story can't keep its continuity straight between mediums, they released an animated movie just prior to launch as a kind of 'here's the back story, GET READY!' thingy.  In this story the Marker has a 'Dead Space' around it that the Necromorphs can not penetrate, IE, they can't get close to it.  This was promptly retconned the instant the game launched the following week.

During Isaac's traversing of the ship you constantly see Necromorphs dash across intersecting corridors only to attack from behind, investigating/getting wise to this tactic reveals two huge gameplay flaws.  First, the Necromorphs are appearantly just standing in small alcoves doing absolutely nothing, just waiting for Isaac to approach so they can do exactly this.  That puts them more in the mindset of snickering 10 year olds than horrific monstrosities.  Second, if you happen to notice the pattern, and turn around BEFORE they pull the surprise attack, you'll discover that they pop out of thin air.  They're not dropping from air vents, tearing through bulkheads, or anything of that nature, they literally just pop into existance behind you because the programmers were too lazy.

On that note, the initial chase sequence at the beginning of the game is completely scripted in such a way that it doesn't know what to do if you don't follow the script.  IE, if you do NOT immediately hammer the elevator button to escape your pursuer will simply stand there staring at you.  You can almost hear him saying "Come on dude, you're making me look bad!"

Finally, the big reveal at the end makes no goddamn sense.  *SPOILERSPOILERSPOILER* We discover that Isaac's wife has been dead the entire time, and he's been hallucinating her throughout the game's story.  Okay.......then who exactly was hacking computers and opening doors for me?  Who was I defending from hordes of Necromorphs while they performed these tasks?  Because "Nobody" just doesn't work.  The Necromorphs WERE attacking SOMEONE.  I'm told that this HUGE FREAKING PLOT HOLE gets resolved in one of the sequels, well tough, that's still HORRIBLE story design.  If I made a movie or a book with a key plot point that was this bad and said "Nono, wait a few years for the sequel and it will totally make sense!" people would laugh me out of the arena, and probably throw things.

Borderlands- I did indeed play single player, which is probably part of my problem, but I'm not big on the whole multiplayer thing except in certain situations.  I'm also not much of an FPS fan, but I'd been told this was more of an RPG, so I gave it a shot.

The respawn rate is absurd.  I like to take my time, and work through a dungeon in a methodical kind of way, making sure I take down every bad guy in my path and don't miss hidden loot.  Because of this I frequently discovered the enemies respawning behind me, smashing me in a pincer movement of reincarnation and forcing me to start the whole area over.

NPCs are almost NEVER interactive.  You get all your quest dialogue, with VERY few exceptions, through the bounty board.  Save ANGEL and a few early quests, that's pretty much it.  When I finally met several of the NPCs I'd been dealing with face to face they just stared at me and refused to ever talk until I went back to the bounty board.

Lilith's final Elemental power causes lots of suicide deaths.  I'll freely admit that this one is probably going to be an "Only people who played the character I did, and specced the way I did, ever had this issue"  But it was really aggrivating.  Lilith's ultimate Elemental power is Phoenix, which makes her burst into flames every time she makes a kill, causing fire damage to everyone in her vicinity for a few seconds.  This is pretty awesome given all the other powers that also proc in the same manner.  The problem is that the icon letting you know it has activated vanishes almost immediately, leaving you with no way to tell that it's still up.  Now, how many of you remember just HOW MANY of those explodey barrels were littered pretty much EVERYWHERE in every single dungeon area?  No seriously, it's absolutely ridiculous in the first game.  The first 5-10 times this killed me I had no idea what was happening.  I had killed all the enemies, I was starting to walk towards the next group, but they hadn't seen me yet, suddenly I'm dead.  In order to NOT make this a magical form of suicide, you need to stay in a very tight area, and sit there until you are absolutely sure the aura is gone before moving into the next open area.  Kind of ridiculous IMO.

•