Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Video Games You Regret Purchasing

Started by King Malachite, July 29, 2013, 07:48:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReubenIsTheName

Quote from: Rachelicious on September 03, 2014, 06:03:20 AM
What do you consider Thief 4's high points?

I actually haven't finished it yet.  I'm almost done, though.

SPOILER ALERT!!  I enjoyed the Moira (or however it's spelled) level a lot for its fear factor, and I enjoyed the breaking and entering/robbery of the Baron's mansion.  Also, I enjoyed the brothel level.

"After Jesus and rock and roll, couldn't save my immoral soul, well, I've got nothing left, I've got nothing left to lose." 'Nothing Left to Lose' - The Pretty Reckless

Call me Reuben Damian/Toby
Preferred pronouns - He, His, Him | Orientation - "Straight" | Future surgeries - Mastectomy, Hysto, Vaginectomy, & hopefully Phallo.
  •  

Rachelicious

Ok fair enough.

I'll add one to this possibly the top game that I genuinely REGRET buying and that is Might & Magic: Heroes 6.

Aside from lousy customer service that involved being stuck with some stupid account name that I was never prompted to create and could not change, not only by the second mission in the primary campaign is your royal player-character implied to have been raped by the antagonist, but even though she's now in safe lands for some reason she also went through with childbirth????

It was so WTFFFFFFFFFFF in terms of introductory storyline I literally have not gone further into the game. Ubisoft butchered the franchise so badly from its original and now introduces garbage like this it's just hard to believe.
  •  

King Malachite

Call of Duty: Ghost  That game has caused me so much frustration.
Feel the need to ask me something or just want to check out my blog?  Then click below:

http://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,135882.0.html

"Sometimes you have to go through outer hell to get to inner heaven."

"Anomalies can make the best revolutionaries."
  •  

jamboe89

I think I've thankfully been quite lucky regarding video game purchases, I'm really having to think which ones I'd say were regrettable...I think probably Morrowind on the Xbox, this was after having played Oblivion on Xbox 360, so the loading times really put me off, I hardly really started it. The music is great though. Perhaps I might have another go at it, though I still haven't played Skyrim yet, that'll take priority.

Remember getting Vagrant Story on the Playstation, though for some reason I ended up returning it without having played it...not sure how this happened now, because it's always looked like a pretty good game to me.
  •  

Eevee

Quote from: jamboe89 on September 03, 2014, 01:43:46 PM
Perhaps I might have another go at it

Bad idea. While Morrowind was my favorite of the Elder Scrolls games, the console version was just terrible. The later games worked well enough on consoles, but Morrowind should only be played on PC where it shines.

Eevee

Because its genetic makeup is irregular, it quickly changes its form due to a variety of causes.

•  

Jera

Quote from: Eevee on September 03, 2014, 01:54:34 PM
Bad idea. While Morrowind was my favorite of the Elder Scrolls games, the console version was just terrible. The later games worked well enough on consoles, but Morrowind should only be played on PC where it shines.

I really like your taste in video games. :D

Morrowind definitely was the best, and yeah, DEFINITELY play it on the pc and not the xbox.

I honestly think it's way better than Skyrim (and the Dragonborn DLC has a LOT of nods to Morrowind)
  •  

Ianianian

I def regret purchasing a 3DS. I basically bought it only for Animal Crossing New Leaf and pokemon Y and while I loved both of those, it wasn't worth it when there wasn't anything else I wanted it for. But, on the bright side, I traded it in a while back and got a ton of 360 games with the money.

I really don't like Dishonored. I wanted very very much to like it, but I just didn't like it, I don't even know why. So that one I kind of regret.

Also the Mass Effect series, but only because it took me on a journey that crushed my soul and ruined me for every other video game ever made.
  •  

jamboe89

Quote from: Eevee on September 03, 2014, 01:54:34 PM
Quote from: Jera on September 03, 2014, 03:58:11 PM
Morrowind definitely was the best, and yeah, DEFINITELY play it on the pc and not the xbox.

I honestly think it's way better than Skyrim (and the Dragonborn DLC has a LOT of nods to Morrowind)

Ok, will definitely try to play Morrowind on PC soon - thanks all. :) Thankfully PC specs shouldn't be much of an issue since it's pretty old now, I think my computer would just meltdown if I tried to play Skyrim on it as it is, but hopefully should be ok with Morrowind. Yes I definitely remember at the time I bought it (Morrowind on Xbox) that it was considered generally better than Oblivion, this was way before any hint of Skyrim. I'm impressed with all of your gaming knowledge! I'm way too much of a casual gamer currently.
  •  

bluebirdx88

Quote from: jamboe89 on September 03, 2014, 05:50:05 PM
Ok, will definitely try to play Morrowind on PC soon - thanks all. :) Thankfully PC specs shouldn't be much of an issue since it's pretty old now, I think my computer would just meltdown if I tried to play Skyrim on it as it is, but hopefully should be ok with Morrowind. Yes I definitely remember at the time I bought it (Morrowind on Xbox) that it was considered generally better than Oblivion, this was way before any hint of Skyrim. I'm impressed with all of your gaming knowledge! I'm way too much of a casual gamer currently.

You'd be surprised... I have a pretty decent gaming rig... It's from 2010 and it still holds up... Yet Morrowind with all the updates, high-res textures packs and a few mods to improve graphics and usability can bring it to a crawl during loading screens... (Thankfully not so much in game..)

It's still a great game, and the best in the TES series (The only one I liked actually.. Oblivion I found extremely boring and uninspiring.. And Skyrim simply felt like a mod of the prior..)

Let me suggest you at least get the MGSO (Morrowind Overhaul) mod pack and have all the latest patches for a better experience.

As for the game I most regret buying... Well.. I don't really regret any as I've always checked them out before purchasing.... But.... I do regret spending money on boosts for Plants vs Zombies 2 x.x

•  

Illuminess

I think what I regret more than having bought a bad game is selling my Wii that I had downloaded a lot of games on. I rented a Dead Space game once for Wii (thankfully didn't buy it), but it puts you on a track. If I'd wander off to find ammo it would pull me away and zip me back on the track. Not cool.

Has anyone regretted buying a game that is collectively considered very good like Skyrim, Borderlands, Resident Evil, etc?
△ ☾ Rıνεя Aяıп Lαυяıε ☽ △

"Despair holds a sweetness that only an artist's tongue can taste."Illuminess
  •  

bluebirdx88

Quote from: sororcaeli on September 05, 2014, 12:04:03 AM
I think what I regret more than having bought a bad game is selling my Wii that I had downloaded a lot of games on. I rented a Dead Space game once for Wii (thankfully didn't buy it), but it puts you on a track. If I'd wander off to find ammo it would pull me away and zip me back on the track. Not cool.

Has anyone regretted buying a game that is collectively considered very good like Skyrim, Borderlands, Resident Evil, etc?

Yes, and now that you mention it yes yes and yes, ignore my previous post!

Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy X-2, and Final Fantasy XIII

CURSE YOU ENIX!

•  

Jera

Quote from: bluebirdx88 on September 05, 2014, 12:17:46 AM
Yes, and now that you mention it yes yes and yes, ignore my previous post!

Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy X-2, and Final Fantasy XIII

CURSE YOU ENIX!

Did anyone like X-2? :D
  •  

bluebirdx88

Quote from: Jera on September 05, 2014, 12:26:47 AM

Yep, matter of fact I had a friend round the other day that saw my copy of FFVI for the SNES, he started telling me how he loved Final Fantasy and played X-2 over and over again... (It was the only one he knew)... I felt so tempted to give him a copy of Baldur's Gate and say: "Play a real RPG..." *shakes head* lol

•  

GenTechJ

Quote from: Jera on September 05, 2014, 12:26:47 AM

I have yet to play it, and it came with my FFX HD, so I'll play it and hope it winds up being like FFVIII which a lot of people hated but I loved. Same with Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories.
"Keep your head down, and inch towards daylight" - Blade of Tyshalle, Matthew Woodring Stover
  •  

WillowRyder

Morrowind is like my fav game of all time...

Regrets - Full price Brink and CoD: Ghosts. Just horribly over hyped for terribad games. For a long time I regretted buying Borderlands 1 because i beat it so quickly and the ending was just mega-lame, but BL2 makes up for it.
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." -Hemingway!
  •  

Rachelicious

I'd imagine it's hard to wrap your head around how revolutionary Morrowind was at release unless you were playing it like 12 years ago when it was this shiny new game. But I really recommend it, especially if you can handle slightly dated graphics. The atmosphere and exploration factor (no fast-travel) combined with lots of lore / reading make it an exceptional game.

Skyrim has some truly splendid graphics at times, but it's very action/combat focused and really plays as if made for console. Of course I don't regret getting Skyrim, it just doesn't quite do it for me. Morrowind felt a lot more mysterious and combat felt so secondary to everything, so the Skywind mod is probably going to be all the more interesting.

Of course this omits Oblivion (excellent game) and Elder Scrolls Online. I definitely recommend the former - the latter was very far from finished/tested at release and has a similar console-design feel to Skyrim. The developers are basically scumbagging the PC population into doing all their beta testing for them so they have a finished product for console release :/ But that's a project of ZOS, a small subsidiary of Bethesda, not the fine teams who brought us earlier Elder Scrolls games!
  •  

WillowRyder

Quote from: Rachelicious on September 14, 2014, 06:01:44 AM
I'd imagine it's hard to wrap your head around how revolutionary Morrowind was at release unless you were playing it like 12 years ago when it was this shiny new game. But I really recommend it, especially if you can handle slightly dated graphics. The atmosphere and exploration factor (no fast-travel) combined with lots of lore / reading make it an exceptional game.

Skyrim has some truly splendid graphics at times, but it's very action/combat focused and really plays as if made for console. Of course I don't regret getting Skyrim, it just doesn't quite do it for me. Morrowind felt a lot more mysterious and combat felt so secondary to everything, so the Skywind mod is probably going to be all the more interesting.

Of course this omits Oblivion (excellent game) and Elder Scrolls Online. I definitely recommend the former - the latter was very far from finished/tested at release and has a similar console-design feel to Skyrim. The developers are basically scumbagging the PC population into doing all their beta testing for them so they have a finished product for console release :/ But that's a project of ZOS, a small subsidiary of Bethesda, not the fine teams who brought us earlier Elder Scrolls games!

Well Morrowind does have a couple fast travel options, like Silt Striders and Boats, but you actually have to go to them, so the only fast travel you can use in the middle of no where is Almsivi and Divine Interventions to go to the nearest Temple/Fort things...What I loved most is no stupid quest marker they introduced in the later games, enabling players to just spam through conversations and run towards the shiny white triangle. I much preferred Morrowind where you actually had to read the conversations and your journal to figure out where the hell to go. Also, you could kill main characters and ruin the storyline forever, lol.

And I agree with you on ESO, it was fun...but not the Elder Scrolls quality was was led to believe it would be. I went back to Swtor after a week. Lol
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." -Hemingway!
  •  

Abby Claire

It seems like everytime there is a Steam summer or winter sale I end up having like 10 games I regret buying.
  •  

xponentialshift

I definitely regret buying the Xbox version of morrowind. But in no way do I regret the three copies of the PC version I bought.

Someone mentioned the MGSO for morrowind, and in my opinion, with the settings maxed on that mod, the game actually looks better than skyrim. (Granted on those settings even my PC drops to 4-8 fps)... I can run skyrim in ultra with 100 mods,  it morrowind with mgso just chokes my machine :(

•  

WillowRyder

Quote from: Abby Claire on September 14, 2014, 01:35:24 PM
It seems like everytime there is a Steam summer or winter sale I end up having like 10 games I regret buying.

Hahahahhahahah yessssss! I almost have to stay off my computer for a full week to prevent that from happening =P
  •