Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Passing concern. My balding head!

Started by Thylacin, October 10, 2013, 09:45:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thylacin

Hey! Sorry if this thread is in the wrong section. I figured this seemed like the best fit.

One of my biggest concerns when thinking of passing is my hairline and the thinness of my hair on the top of my head. I'm not even 30 yet and the scalp shows through my hair on the top of my head very clearly. I know that wigs are an option, but it would be so great to have my own hair.
I'm still very early in this whole process of transitioning, and I'm working on one thing at a time. I'm pre-everything at this point. (could hrt help too?)

I was wondering if anyone with a similar concern has tried Minoxidil (rogain) and had significant re-thickening of the hair. I've been using it for a couple months and have yet to see any sign that it's doing anything (although it can take 4 months to work). I'm worried that I may not be using enough, or that since my hair is longish, it might just be staying on the hair and not absorbing into my scalp enough.

I've also read that castor oil, or certain anti-dandruff shampoos can help as well.

So, did anyone on here begin with very thin hair and end up with something significantly better after trying some treatments? It would be great to hear about :)

I've linked to an image to show the level of thinning for reference.

•  

Paige

Thanks for posting this Thylacin.  I'm also very interested to hear people's experiences with minoxidil while on HRT and how well hair transplants have worked.  By the way my thinning is much worse than yours. :-)
  •  

SciNerdGirl

Quote from: Thylacin on October 10, 2013, 09:45:54 AM

I was wondering if anyone with a similar concern has tried Minoxidil (rogain) and had significant re-thickening of the hair. I've been using it for a couple months and have yet to see any sign that it's doing anything (although it can take 4 months to work). I'm worried that I may not be using enough, or that since my hair is longish, it might just be staying on the hair and not absorbing on the hair enough.

So, I have been using Minoxidil for about 6 months, and I have seen some hair regrowth.  I started out with a significantly receded hairline and a large bald spot in the center of my head.  Since I have started using it, the bald spot has reduced considerably and the hair on my forehead has gone from non-existent to about as thick as leg hair. 

In it's current state, my natural hair could never pass as female, so I have no qualms about cutting it.   I currently keep it in a very short buzz-cut, which helps any new growth come out even with the rest of my hair (and makes it easier to see any new growth).  I also pre-treat my scalp with neutrogena non-alcohol skin toner.  My thoughts are that the Panthenol-D in it clears out my pores and helps the rogain absorb better (there at least a little research that supports this and at $6/bottle, it's pretty cheap even if it is just a placebo).

I figure I will see the full effects of minoxidil after about 18 months or so.  My fingers are crossed, but I'm skeptical I will ever have feminine hair, without something more drastic (like transplants).  I think I just started using it too late.

J.
If I want to look like a girl, I need to eat like one.

Happiness is getting your eyeliner perfect on the first try  :angel:
  •  

lexi

hi janet ,
             im not sure how the treatments may work but i been on hormones for seven months now & my hair is thining out but im also growing hair where i didnt before .
xoxo
lexis
:angel:hi everyone my name is lexis & im new to susans place . im seven months on my hrt & i feel great but also scared at the same time . id like to meet people that have gone through the transition & learn of there experience . i dont know anyone around my area and there is no place close by to meet anyone .
please feel free to leave me a message
i love to hear from everyone even if its a qu
  •  

Thylacin

Quote from: Thylacin on October 10, 2013, 09:45:54 AM

Well, I feel like after ~6 months of minoxidil, and 3.5 months of hrt including finasteride, I've gotten a little bit of regrowth. It seems a little thicker, I think. Not as thick as I'd like, but my scalp is not as visible now. So maybe there is hope!

•