Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Did You Transition At Susan's Place ?

Started by Anatta, October 31, 2013, 12:35:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Did you START and or COMPLETE your transition as a member of Susan's ?

Yes I started my transition when I joined Susan's "still transitioning"
11 (36.7%)
Yes I started and completed my transition(went full time) as a member of Susan's
3 (10%)
No I started before I became a member "still transitioning"
4 (13.3%)
No I started before I became a member "but I did complete it here" (went full time)
2 (6.7%)
No I started and completed my transition(was full time) before I became a member
7 (23.3%)
Other
3 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Anatta

Kia Ora,

Just a "something to do" poll, but I guess the results will be of interest to some...So please participate...You've got nothing to loose by ticking a box...Thanks...

I should add what I mean by "completion" is going "full time" and not necessarily having had surgery...

Metta Zenda :)
"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

Skittles

Even though I am a newbie here, this is actually my third Forum. I was transitioning long before I was brave enough to surface on the web. The first Forum was for intersexed people, I thought then, that was the best match for me. Wrong! All they talked about was dreary medical stuff. When I wanted to have fun and friends, all they seemed to want to do is disqualify me. I only had about one welcoming friend. I lasted a whole two weeks, wishing I had never joined. I don't want to focus on what I can't change, I don't need all the glaring details. I want to focus on the joys and struggles of my metamorphosis with my sisters.

I joined a Forum just up the street and I have been there ever since. They all watch me grow up as the ditzy blonde. Giggle.

I took a web cruise the other day and found all of you and you seem like my kind of peoples, hugs & heart, funnin' & gunnin'! I wanted to be a part of that too, so I stepped out and took a chance. I think you all are pretty cool and pretty too. Hug. Joann
  •  

Incarlina

The first time I had an account here was at least over two years ago, and when I first got here I was still unsure about who I was. I had come out to my closest friends as trans-something, but I didn't know where I belonged on the spectrum.
Since then my life changed quite a bit. I did eventually realize that I was obviously TS, and when I got the opportunity to leave my old job under advantageous circumstances, I felt that nothing stood in the way between me and seeking professional help.
I voted "started before joining, still transitioning" but that could be debated, I guess. The last six months before officially starting RLE I had going through a slow process of pre-transitioning, so when it was time for RLE, it was mostly only the matter of formally announcing my new name to the world.
So right now there's not much of a transitioning process going on; I already live as who I am, and all that's really going on at the moment is continued electrolysis and effects from hormones. So in a way I'm still in the process, but at the same time I already sort of have transitioned.
Diagnosis [X] Hormones [X] Voice therapy [X] Electrolysis [/] FT [X] GRS [ ]
Warning: Any metaphors in the above post may be severely broken.
  •  

LordKAT

If I had read your post before I voted, I would have voted differently. I was full time way before joining Susan's but in no way do I count that as having done transitioning.
  •  

King Malachite

I checked other.  I haven't started my transition and won't start it for years, but when I do, it will be as a Susan's member.
Feel the need to ask me something or just want to check out my blog?  Then click below:

http://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,135882.0.html

"Sometimes you have to go through outer hell to get to inner heaven."

"Anomalies can make the best revolutionaries."
  •  

Kaylee

Quote from: LordKAT on October 31, 2013, 05:27:16 AM
If I had read your post before I voted, I would have voted differently. I was full time way before joining Susan's but in no way do I count that as having done transitioning.

Same here.  I was full time a few months before I joined and wouldn't consider that as done, it's still early days for me at the moment.

You may want to rephrase the choices in the poll, I can see this been an error others will make, which will skew any results you were hoping to get.
  •  

of a sort

I can't recall exactly when I first joined Susan's, but I was at least 5 years fulltime before I did.
  •  

KabitTarah

I said yes... though I'd found my therapist first (he told me about Susan's).

Susan's place saw me through my first Laser appointments, though... and will see me start HRT (soooon...)

The only other place I've been (at least seriously) is >-bleeped-< /r/asktransgender -- it's much less personal and much more angsty / bitchy / argumentitive.

I really this place... (and hope I'm not too annoying ;))
~ Tarah ~

•  

Devlyn

I voted other, I have no transition plans but I pretty much live here at Susan's!  :)

@ Skittles, my philosophy is sure, we're transgender, but we drink coffee, buy bread, and go through our days like everyone else. I try to see the green grass on the sunny side of the half full glass! Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Northern Jane

No I didn't. I 'transitioned' in 1974, a little before the Internet (and a LOT before PCs) LOL!
  •  

Anatta

Quote from: Kaylee on October 31, 2013, 06:53:22 AM
Same here.  I was full time a few months before I joined and wouldn't consider that as done, it's still early days for me at the moment.

You may want to rephrase the choices in the poll, I can see this been an error others will make, which will skew any results you were hoping to get.

Kia Ora Kaylee,

I have changed the poll wording by adding "(Full Time)"...I also realise 'transition' means different things to different people...For some when they start living full time, HRT, name change, (with or without surgery), they feel they have completed their transition...For others this might not be the case they might feel transition is an ongoing thing, which in a sense this is also true...

However just to clarify/simplify things... For the most part "Full Time" for the vast majority means "(But not necessarily 'surgery' or hormones for that matter') living 24/7/365  as ones preferred gender and also with legal name change or at least using the name that matches the gender identity one is now living as...

I hope this clears up any misunderstanding (Fingers crossed)  ;)

Metta Zenda :)
"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

Constance

"Yes I started and completed my transition(went full time) as a member of Susan's" was the closest answer, though I'd not say I've completed transition yet. I'm still pre-op, though my legal transition has been completed.

When I first joined Susan's, I was still learning about gender identity in general and my identity in particular. At first I identified as a cross-dresser before identifying as androgyne/genderqueer. Though I do continue to queer gender roles, I eventually came to the conclusion that I'm MTF and began transition.

In January 2013 my legal name and gender change were granted. I'm 44 now and I hope to have GCS before I turn 50. So, I feel that I haven't really completed transition yet.

K8

I voted "started and completed at Susan's."  I think I found Susan's while I was starting, and I continued until after surgery.  Then I dropped out, trying to adjust to my new life.  Now I'm back, but less involved.

I found this forum invaluable.  I transitioned in a small town, knowing no other TG people (or knowing no one who I knew was TG).  I had a counselor to help me, but I really needed this forum and all the good (and sometimes bad) advice.  Thank goodness for Susan and her forum.

(A side note: When is the start of transition?  Is it when I came out to my friends as TG?  Is it when I started work on accepting myself as TG?  Is it when I told my counselor I had gender issues?  Or when I went in public the first time?  Well, it was around then sometime that I found Susan's.  :icon_flower:)

- Kate
Life is a pilgrimage.
  •  

Christine Eryn

A great person from this very board helped me with the resources I needed to start transitioning. I can say without a doubt, Susans has been a tremendous help for me.  ;)
"There was a sculptor, and he found this stone, a special stone. He dragged it home and he worked on it for months, until he finally finished. When he was ready he showed it to his friends and they said he had created a great statue. And the sculptor said he hadn't created anything, the statue was always there, he just cleared away the small peices." Rambo III
  •