Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Can Trans-Christians Really Find That "Happy" Medium ?

Started by Anatta, January 17, 2014, 10:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Declan.

QuotePartly correct, but purgatory and hell are two different fates in Catholicism. Hell is always permanent, and reserved for those who reject God. I described that teaching in the post above. I believe few people suffer that fate, since few people really reject God. They reject false notions of God, which is something different.

If an atheist "rejects God" as in, can't find "enough evidence" that He exists, is he doomed to hell according to Catholicism?

If someone is Christian but loses their faith because they don't believe that's the right path for them, yet continues worshiping God through another religion (such as Buddhism, Hinduism, etc.), is he doomed to hell according to Catholicsm?

If someone is Christian but turns their back on God and pursues their own interests, is he doomed to hell according to Catholicism?

If someone murders hundreds of people and is killed in a police shootout, is he doomed to hell according to Catholicism?

Just wondering about those specific scenarios so I can get a better understanding of your beliefs. :)
  •  

Rina

Quote from: DCQ on January 23, 2014, 10:41:15 AM
Huh, thanks for the explanation. So what you're saying is that the "dying in sin" thing is only if you're willfully and deliberately in a sinful state, correct? So if you're doing something that you don't believe is sinful - such as being in a gay relationship; there are a lot of Christians who don't believe that's sinful at all and have a good argument for why it's not - you're not doomed? Just making sure I understood you, because that was the major issue I had with Catholicism. "Falling away," merely not believing, and deliberately rebelling because you want to hurt God are different to me...

There is a distinction between culpable and inculpable ignorance - wanting not to know on purpose would of course be a rejection. Some Catholics would accuse gay couples of being in that state. I don't think that's right, and the majority of Catholics I know don't, either. I have yet to meet a gay person who is not sincere about their moral views. Generally, I think people follow their conscience, and do their best to act morally. In addition, there's the free will part - I don't think many gays have a choice. Just as most straight people aren't able to stay celibate, either.

That said, I'm hesitant to say anything definitive. I don't know how God will judge anyone. We'll know in the end. The important thing for me is to be as tolerant and as accepting as I can be, while still not denying the fact that sin exists, and that we should try to live moral lives. But I have no business telling others what they should do - I try to live according to the moral teaching of the Church to the best of my ability, but that's my choice. And with emphasis on "best of my ability" - Catholicism is not about achieving perfection, but about striving for it.

QuoteInteresting to know transition is permitted when therapeutically needed. Are we forbidden to participate in the Sacraments (confirmation, etc.) even if it's deemed "therapeutically necessary," though? Is it because they think something is wrong with us that needs to be changed, or is it something else?

Transition is not a problem with regards to the Sacraments, I'm sorry if I didn't make that clear. Since the Church (hesitantly, to be fair) acknowledges it as a morally licit medical treatment in "rare cases" (which means those cases where it is a last resort, which is pretty much all cases, which again are rare cases, since transsexualism is rare... sometimes Churchspeak can be a bit cryptic), there is no sin involved, and hence no reason to abstain from the Sacraments.

However, since the Church won't allow me to marry anyone if I transition, due to impotence, I would be told not to receive the Sacraments if I entered a civil union or decided to move in with a partner. That would be the same as remarried couples, cohabitating couples, etc, and not because I'm transsexual as such.

I think this will change when/if it becomes possible to grow new internal organs from stem cells, though. If a person can reproduce, he or she can also marry. I think that would also prompt the Church to change the gender marker in the baptism registries; that was actually done in the beginning, but then Rome decided SRS was not enough to recognize a physical sex change, and stopped the practice. From the document in question, though, it seems to me this is simply because of the limitations of HRT and SRS, not because of a moral issue.

QuoteThanks for taking the time to explain all this, and I apologize for having so many questions. I've been interested in Catholicism for a long time, but never really knew how to find answers to my questions.

No problem! Catholicism is complex (often annoyingly, but at the same time entertainingly, so), and there are so many sources of variable reliability and official status etc. It's often difficult to decide which source to believe in. Some of the things in this thread are not clearly defined by the Church, though (surprisingly few things are, actually), so there will almost certainly be other Catholics who strongly disagree with me. But at least my views are fairly mainstream; I don't fit well in neither the liberal nor the conservative camp, but then few Catholics really do.
  •  

Rina

Quote from: DCQ on January 23, 2014, 11:25:06 AM
If an atheist "rejects God" as in, can't find "enough evidence" that He exists, is he doomed to hell according to Catholicism?

Not by necessity. What that atheist usually does, is really to reject idolatry/a false conception of God, which is a good thing. I think very few people would reject the true God - and the people who do, probably aren't even atheists. While seeking God is necessary for salvation, I think many atheists seek God without knowing so themselves, through pursuit of good, beauty and so on.

Quote from: DCQ on January 23, 2014, 11:25:06 AMIf someone is Christian but loses their faith because they don't believe that's the right path for them, yet continues worshiping God through another religion (such as Buddhism, Hinduism, etc.), is he doomed to hell according to Catholicsm?

That would depend on whether they ever believed in Christianity for real, and whether they understood it for real. If they did, and yet decided to reject it, they would perish.

But then again, who would? When people genuinely seek God, I think they're on the right path. That said, I would of course tell them I believe Catholicism is the way to Christ and hence to the Father, but if they don't share my belief, for a sincere reason, I have no business telling them they'll go to hell.

Quote from: DCQ on January 23, 2014, 11:25:06 AMIf someone is Christian but turns their back on God and pursues their own interests, is he doomed to hell according to Catholicism?

That depends on whether the person actually does that :) And to what extent, with what consequences, etc. We're all egoists to some extent, and I'm unable to give a good answer as to when egoism becomes a complete rejection of God.

Quote from: DCQ on January 23, 2014, 11:25:06 AMIf someone murders hundreds of people and is killed in a police shootout, is he doomed to hell according to Catholicism?

If they died unrepentantly and were mentally stable (as in responsible for their actions), yes. But that is impossible for us to know; the person could have repented in those last few seconds before death. We never know what state people died in.

Some Orthodox also teach that there might be a possibility of repentance after death. But that's not mainstream Catholic theology, so while I like the idea, I'm hesitant to accept it.

Quote from: DCQ on January 23, 2014, 11:25:06 AMJust wondering about those specific scenarios so I can get a better understanding of your beliefs. :)

No problem :) To sum it up, Catholicism canonizes saints, but never says a specific person was damned (except Judas). There could always be some variable we simply don't know about.
  •  

Declan.

•  

Brandon

Quote from: katiej on January 22, 2014, 09:42:55 PM
I come from an evangelical background, where the majority hold to  belief about hell that is mostly made up IMHO.  They talk about the "lake of fire," not realizing that those scriptures are almost always talking about the eternal place for the devil and his fallen angels.  The torment is for them...not necessarily for people. 

The Bible more often talks about destruction for wicked people.  So although I remain unsure of what I believe, I lean towards an annihilation view.  A big part of it is because of what it says in Ephesians 2... we were dead before faith in Christ made us alive.  My body was alive, and my soul (consciousness or mind) was alive, so it must mean that my spirit was dead before salvation.  And so if someone who does not experience that second birth that Jesus told Nicodemus about in John 3, how can they experience a place of spiritual torment such as the "lake of fire."  The answer is likely that they can't.

Actually the tourment is for the people to.
keep working hard and you can get anything you want.    -Aaliyah
  •  

Declan.

Quote from: Brandon on January 24, 2014, 08:24:42 PM

Actually the tourment is for the people to.

You state it like it's a fact, but that's just your personal belief.
  •  

Anatta

Kia Ora,

So far so good, it's been very educational thank you...and no doubt some struggling anonymous lurkers are broadening their understanding too (hopefully in a more beneficial way) from the different well thought out comments/opinions in this discussion/debate...

However just out of interest, if the different sects of Christians (& believers of different god-based faiths) all believe that their version of "what heaven and hell is and is not, and who will end up there" differs...it would seem that each cancels each others' versions of heaven out and they will all end up in each others hells...(one must bear in mind good & bad are relative terms-with for the most part no fixed positions)

So wouldn't it be best for the different religions not to speculate on what heaven or hell is and who is eligible for an entry permit... and just agree that there are such places but the criteria for entry is 'unknown'...That way there would be some form of consensus amongst the difference god-based religions for which heaven & hell are part of the package deal so to speak...

Metta Zenda :)
"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

Brandon

Quote from: DCQ on January 25, 2014, 02:34:49 AM
You state it like it's a fact, but that's just your personal belief.

It's fact read Mathew in one of the scriptures it says there will be a Weeping a Moaning and a Nashing of teeth..... read Rrevelations to.....
  •  

Declan.

Quote from: Brandon on January 25, 2014, 07:02:13 PM
It's fact read Mathew in one of the scriptures it says there will be a Weeping a Moaning and a Nashing of teeth..... read Rrevelations to.....

I've read the Bible from the first to last page several times. I can assure you, it's your personal interpretation, not a black-and-white fact.

QuoteHowever just out of interest, if the different sects of Christians (& believers of different god-based faiths) all believe that their version of "what heaven and hell is and is not, and who will end up there" differs...it would seem that each cancels each others' versions of heaven out and they will all end up in each others hells...(one must bear in mind good & bad are relative terms-with for the most part no fixed positions)

I don't believe in hell at all (at least not the traditional view of it) but I don't think that really matters. One person could be right while everyone else is wrong. Who knows?
  •  

Brandon

Quote from: DCQ on January 25, 2014, 07:06:44 PM
I've read the Bible from the first to last page several times. I can assure you, it's your personal interpretation, not a black-and-white fact.

I don't believe in hell at all (at least not the traditional view of it) but I don't think that really matters. One person could be right while everyone else is wrong. Who knows?

Well it's my belief, Like I say I don't see how one can believe in good but not evil. These things do exist, Know I will not force my beliefs down anyones throat. But the one thing I will say is wheather you believe in God or not you have to answer to him. He said every knee shall bow and every tounge shall confess
  •  

Declan.

Quote from: Brandon on January 25, 2014, 07:11:03 PM

Well it's my belief, Like I say I don't see how one can believe in good but not evil. These things do exist, Know I will not force my beliefs down anyones throat. But the one thing I will say is wheather you believe in God or not you have to answer to him. He said every knee shall bow and every tounge shall confess

It's fine for you to believe that, but presenting your personal beliefs as fact isn't cool. Of course you think your beliefs are the truth; otherwise, they wouldn't be your beliefs. ;)
  •  

Brandon

Quote from: DCQ on January 25, 2014, 07:15:41 PM
It's fine for you to believe that, but presenting your personal beliefs as fact isn't cool. Of course you think your beliefs are the truth; otherwise, they wouldn't be your beliefs. ;)

I'm not going to argue with you. It's a fact though theres plenty of proof but I'm gonna be the bigger man and just say believe what you want that's fine, But when you say my bliefs are fake or arn't facts that's rude that's like telling a homosexual that homosexuality isn't real that's disrespectful
  •  

Anatta

Kia Ora Brendon & DCQ,

It would seem the answer to the original title question is gradually unfolding...

However I hope that you two can "agree to disagree" by accepting that each other's 'beliefs'...are just that, personal beliefs/interpretations...

Please accept each others disagreement in good faith and move on, before any personal attacks start flying...

"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

Brandon

•  

Declan.

Quote from: Brandon on January 25, 2014, 07:37:34 PM

I'm not going to argue with you. It's a fact though theres plenty of proof but I'm gonna be the bigger man and just say believe what you want that's fine, But when you say my bliefs are fake or arn't facts that's rude that's like telling a homosexual that homosexuality isn't real that's disrespectful

Not sure why you made a comment about being the "bigger man" here - you can certainly believe whatever you want. I didn't say your beliefs are fake. I said presenting them as facts (as in, "it is fact, read the Bible") isn't cool in a discussion where people are sharing their beliefs and being respectful of differing opinions.

QuoteHowever I hope that you two can "agree to disagree" by accepting that each other's 'beliefs'...are just that, personal beliefs/interpretations...

Please accept each others disagreement in good faith and move on, before any personal attacks start flying...

Certainly. I have no problem with him having his own beliefs, and I can certainly agree to disagree. I'm frustrated by the "I'm right, you're wrong" approach to the discussion, not frustrated by the beliefs themselves. I'm a very tolerant person, even on topics that I have strong opinions on.
  •  

Anatta

Kia Ora,

I would like to commend you both for not getting to the level of personal attacks and disrupting the thread... so thank you for keeping your cools...

Btw you have both shed some light on the issues faced by some trans-Christians...

•  

Vicky

Between Dante's The Inferno description of Hell, and C.S. Lewis', the British Christian apologist's  The Great Divorce, I see the latter as much more in keeping with my beliefs.  Dante was a literal and literary HELL for me in college 45 years ago.  The Great Divorce was a fun read during a spiritual retreat I made in my late 30's.  Lewis's view is that of his mentor the Scottish theologian George McDonald, whose principal was that hell was the absence of God's presence as chosen by those who could not in the final time tell God, "Thy will oh Lord be done."  When that could not be done by the person, God sadly declares "Man THY will be done" and mans will is Hell, not Gods will.

For me, "Thy will Oh Lord be done" has become a mantra.
I refuse to have a war of wits with a half armed opponent!!

Wiser now about Post Op reality!!
  •  

Rina

Quote from: Anatta on January 25, 2014, 06:34:37 PMHowever just out of interest, if the different sects of Christians (& believers of different god-based faiths) all believe that their version of "what heaven and hell is and is not, and who will end up there" differs...it would seem that each cancels each others' versions of heaven out and they will all end up in each others hells...(one must bear in mind good & bad are relative terms-with for the most part no fixed positions)

Remember that monotheistic religions are, to various extents, mutually exclusive (as you point out), and not very interested in agreement. So while there are some shared beliefs (like in the existence of a heaven/paradise/afterlife, and usually some sort of eternal damnation), they can't all be true. I'd say the correct conclusion would be that if any of them are true, then only that version of heaven/hell can exist. But they'd all be correct that such fates indeed existed; it was simply their interpretation that was (in)correct.

But then many of those religions really go into detail, or accept variations in belief. Like I mentioned about Catholicism; the exact nature of heaven and hell isn't really dogma, there is great variation of belief as to who ends up where, what they consist of and so on. The Latin tradition tends to accept Thomas Aquinas' description of heaven as the "beatific vision", and of hell as "complete separation from God", with the added input of the earlier Eastern Fathers of hell as the complete "un-being" (in lack of a better word - if there is a terminology proper, it has slipped my mind :) ).

But even though Dante's description is simply a work of fiction and not in any way mainstream theology, no one would be considered a heretic to believe in it literally. There are Catholics who believe that people who don't formally belong the the Catholic Church go to hell for that reason alone - while the mainstream Church views that belief as unreasonable and perhaps even laughable, they're not considered heretics. And there are people who believe that anyone who does his best to strive for good is saved because that person in reality seeks God and hence also receives his grace (I am very sympathetic to this belief), which is also not viewed as heresy. Most people are somewhere in between.

The two "fringes" that are seen as heresy within Catholicism are Pelagianism, which states that salvation can be earned through good works alone (as in no faith or grace, not even subconscious searching for God), and Protestantism, which states that salvation is earned through faith alone, with good works not being part of the equation at all. The first is seen as heretic because it excludes God's mercy, the second simply because it's unreasonable; it excludes the God-given ability we're given to choose between good or evil.

But everything in between is pretty much viewed as acceptable. The Catholic "catchline" is "Grace alone", which means that salvation is always attained through God's grace; faith and good works alike are ultimately products of divine grace. That view allows for a huge variation in personal belief.

QuoteSo wouldn't it be best for the different religions not to speculate on what heaven or hell is and who is eligible for an entry permit... and just agree that there are such places but the criteria for entry is 'unknown'... That way there would be some form of consensus amongst the difference god-based religions for which heaven & hell are part of the package deal so to speak...

I agree to some extent, but at the same time, remember that some of these religions view the rest as false, and hence aren't interested in any agreement. Those are generally also the ones with most clearly defined and rigorous beliefs about who ends up where.

Others again have a "degree of truth" view of other religions - again, since my background is Catholic and that simply is the religion I know the best, we see other belief systems as containing various amounts of divine revelation, which means they're not devoid of truth, but yet, we wouldn't compromise our own teaching to find an agreement. But we definitely can learn from them. That includes Eastern religions, by the way - I often find many elements of Buddhism to be inspiring for my Catholic faith.

But I digress. In some way we already do what you say - we don't know who are saved and not. While we believe the ordinary means are through Christ and the Church, we also acknowledge that God could have extraordinary means to salvation. God is not fully revealed to us, and it would be foolish to claim that He can't do anything we don't know about. Which is why we canonize saints, but don't declare anyone damned, even though we warn about the possibility of hell. In some periods of history, this has perhaps been done with too much zeal (also remember the legitimate variation of personal belief), but there has never been "official theology" regarding the exact criteria.

Yet, I don't think we can expect everyone to pick up that belief. There will always be groups with very detailed and unison beliefs, and I can understand them to some extent. It provides a sort of safety which can be comforting to those who "subscribe".

(Note: To be fair, I also observe this variation is belief within plenty of other monotheist religions - Islam seems to have numerous interpretations, Protestantism of course is split into more than 30,000 denominations with differing beliefs (though many of them of course agree on heaven and hell and differ on other matters), and so on. But there's generally less variation within specific denominations, from my impression.)
  •  

Anatta

Quote from: Rina on January 26, 2014, 04:21:42 AM
Remember that monotheistic religions are, to various extents, mutually exclusive (as you point out), and not very interested in agreement. So while there are some shared beliefs (like in the existence of a heaven/paradise/afterlife, and usually some sort of eternal damnation), they can't all be true. I'd say the correct conclusion would be that if any of them are true, then only that version of heaven/hell can exist. But they'd all be correct that such fates indeed existed; it was simply their interpretation that was (in)correct.

But then many of those religions really go into detail, or accept variations in belief. Like I mentioned about Catholicism; the exact nature of heaven and hell isn't really dogma, there is great variation of belief as to who ends up where, what they consist of and so on. The Latin tradition tends to accept Thomas Aquinas' description of heaven as the "beatific vision", and of hell as "complete separation from God", with the added input of the earlier Eastern Fathers of hell as the complete "un-being" (in lack of a better word - if there is a terminology proper, it has slipped my mind :) ).

But even though Dante's description is simply a work of fiction and not in any way mainstream theology, no one would be considered a heretic to believe in it literally. There are Catholics who believe that people who don't formally belong the the Catholic Church go to hell for that reason alone - while the mainstream Church views that belief as unreasonable and perhaps even laughable, they're not considered heretics. And there are people who believe that anyone who does his best to strive for good is saved because that person in reality seeks God and hence also receives his grace (I am very sympathetic to this belief), which is also not viewed as heresy. Most people are somewhere in between.

The two "fringes" that are seen as heresy within Catholicism are Pelagianism, which states that salvation can be earned through good works alone (as in no faith or grace, not even subconscious searching for God), and Protestantism, which states that salvation is earned through faith alone, with good works not being part of the equation at all. The first is seen as heretic because it excludes God's mercy, the second simply because it's unreasonable; it excludes the God-given ability we're given to choose between good or evil.

But everything in between is pretty much viewed as acceptable. The Catholic "catchline" is "Grace alone", which means that salvation is always attained through God's grace; faith and good works alike are ultimately products of divine grace. That view allows for a huge variation in personal belief.

I agree to some extent, but at the same time, remember that some of these religions view the rest as false, and hence aren't interested in any agreement. Those are generally also the ones with most clearly defined and rigorous beliefs about who ends up where.

Others again have a "degree of truth" view of other religions - again, since my background is Catholic and that simply is the religion I know the best, we see other belief systems as containing various amounts of divine revelation, which means they're not devoid of truth, but yet, we wouldn't compromise our own teaching to find an agreement. But we definitely can learn from them. That includes Eastern religions, by the way - I often find many elements of Buddhism to be inspiring for my Catholic faith.

But I digress. In some way we already do what you say - we don't know who are saved and not. While we believe the ordinary means are through Christ and the Church, we also acknowledge that God could have extraordinary means to salvation. God is not fully revealed to us, and it would be foolish to claim that He can't do anything we don't know about. Which is why we canonize saints, but don't declare anyone damned, even though we warn about the possibility of hell. In some periods of history, this has perhaps been done with too much zeal (also remember the legitimate variation of personal belief), but there has never been "official theology" regarding the exact criteria.

Yet, I don't think we can expect everyone to pick up that belief. There will always be groups with very detailed and unison beliefs, and I can understand them to some extent. It provides a sort of safety which can be comforting to those who "subscribe".

(Note: To be fair, I also observe this variation is belief within plenty of other monotheist religions - Islam seems to have numerous interpretations, Protestantism of course is split into more than 30,000 denominations with differing beliefs (though many of them of course agree on heaven and hell and differ on other matters), and so on. But there's generally less variation within specific denominations, from my impression.)

Kia Ora Rina,

A very informative response thank you...

•  

peky

Quote from: Anatta on January 25, 2014, 06:34:37 PM
Kia Ora,

So far so good, it's been very educational thank you...and no doubt some struggling anonymous lurkers are broadening their understanding too (hopefully in a more beneficial way) from the different well thought out comments/opinions in this discussion/debate...

However just out of interest, if the different sects of Christians (& believers of different god-based faiths) all believe that their version of "what heaven and hell is and is not, and who will end up there" differs...it would seem that each cancels each others' versions of heaven out and they will all end up in each others hells...(one must bear in mind good & bad are relative terms-with for the most part no fixed positions)

So wouldn't it be best for the different religions not to speculate on what heaven or hell is and who is eligible for an entry permit... and just agree that there are such places but the criteria for entry is 'unknown'...That way there would be some form of consensus amongst the difference god-based religions for which heaven & hell are part of the package deal so to speak...

yeah! and we have a special one for people like you  >:-)dear...... :icon_chainsaw: :icon_chainsaw: :icon_chainsaw: :icon_chainsaw: :icon_chainsaw: >:-)
  •