Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Burnt offerings

Started by Steph, July 19, 2007, 04:40:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steph

OK I really need to take cooking lessons.  I was making souvlaki and rice and I burnt the rice.  How do you do that.  Grrrrrrrrrrr  >:(

Steph
  •  

Jonie

If you burn something it's usually because your cooking it too fast on too high a heat. Also in some cases adding some oil for a more even heat transfer or a little water to keep the moisture level up there is good to do. I've done a lot of cooking and if memory serves me the only thing that needs to be cooked fast and furious are steaks, the kind that comes from a moooooooooooooooooooooooo cow.
  •  

Dennis

Rice is tricky too if you don't have a pot with a good thick base. My ex could burn tomato soup, so you're ok :)

Dennis
  •  

Laura Eva B

Quote from: Steph on July 19, 2007, 04:40:28 PM
OK I really need to take cooking lessons.  I was making souvlaki and rice and I burnt the rice.  How do you do that.  Grrrrrrrrrrr  >:( 

Guess you let all the water boil away ?

Rice is tricky as you want it to absorb just the right amount of water, but come out of the pan fluffy, firm and dry, not a burnt offering or soggy mess !  Pasta is so much easier  ;)

BTW my Iranian friends used a special rice cooker, and the rice at the bottom got crisp and brown .... yummy, the bit that everyone fights over !

(think souvlaki is what we in the UK call "shish kebab" ?)

Laura x
  •  

Pica Pica

rice cookers are ace..we made a bit of money in my second year at uni by buying cheap all the rice-cookers of the leaving chinese people and selling them to all the incoming ones.
  •  

Sheila

There are things that don't go together. One is that while cooking don't get on the computer. They don't mix. Everytime I cook and get on the computer, I will burn something. Time just flies while I'm on the computer.
Sheila
  •  

Steph

Quote from: Sheila on July 19, 2007, 06:11:45 PM
There are things that don't go together. One is that while cooking don't get on the computer. They don't mix. Everytime I cook and get on the computer, I will burn something. Time just flies while I'm on the computer.
Sheila

You can read me like a book ha, ha.

Steph
  •  

melissa90299

1 cup Thai Jasmine Rice

2 cups water

Rinse rise in cold water, combine rice and water in saucepan, bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, simmer until water evaporates, let stand a minute or so, fluff with fork, enjoy.
  •  

Lin

Steamed rice is the easiest food to make... and you can make fried rice with cold steamed rice..., and I make different kind of rice soups too... If you get a rice cooker, it would get even much easier... I eat rice all my life... cant imagin how I could survive without rice... ;)
  •  

Thundra

QuoteSteamed rice is the easiest food to make... and you can make fried rice with cold steamed rice..., and I make different kind of rice soups too... If you get a rice cooker, it would get even much easier... I eat rice all my life... cant imagin how I could survive without rice...

What she said, ditto!

Don't buy the cheapest kind of rice cooker though. Buy a moderately priced one, or an expensive one if you can afford it. The cheap ones burn out way to fast, and tend to undercook the rice. Cheap , $50, Moderate > $50, < $100, Expensive > $100
  •  

Lin

Quote from: Thundra on August 05, 2007, 11:46:53 PM
QuoteSteamed rice is the easiest food to make... and you can make fried rice with cold steamed rice..., and I make different kind of rice soups too... If you get a rice cooker, it would get even much easier... I eat rice all my life... cant imagin how I could survive without rice...

What she said, ditto!

Don't buy the cheapest kind of rice cooker though. Buy a moderately priced one, or an expensive one if you can afford it. The cheap ones burn out way to fast, and tend to undercook the rice. Cheap , $50, Moderate > $50, < $100, Expensive > $100

If it happens there is a Chinatown where you live, just go there to find a rice cooker. I'm sure you'll be able to find a good one with a good price... Normally there are more choices with moden style in Chinatown for rice cooker... (Anyway, don't buy it in Walmart or Canadian Tire)
  •  

mallard500

Quote from: Dennis on July 19, 2007, 05:32:53 PM
Rice is tricky too if you don't have a pot with a good thick base. My ex could burn tomato soup, so you're ok :)

Dennis

That's ok... I've been known to burn water

Darn good thing my wife cooks well!   It's not a gender thing, just a matter of survival - for both of us!

Scott
  •  

Thundra

QuoteIf it happens there is a Chinatown where you live, just go there to find a rice cooker. I'm sure you'll be able to find a good one with a good price... Normally there are more choices with moden style in Chinatown for rice cooker... (Anyway, don't buy it in Walmart or Canadian Tire)

LOL.  Exactly!  ditto again. Lots of small family markets on the west coast to pick up a cooker for a good price. DON'T buy one from a big retailer. I got my last one from a tiny thai market almost three years ago and I use it just about everyday.
  •  

Cindi Jones

Hmm... hubby bought me a rice cooker once and I hated it.  There was just so much to clean up after preparing the rice.  I just put 1 3/4 cup of water in a pot, boil the water, put in 1 cup rice, turn the heat down to low, cover it, and cook it for 15 minutes.  It never burns.  I like my rice a bit dry, that's why I don't use  1:2 rice to water.

I use a timer so if I do get on the computer...... ;)

Cindi
Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

Buffy

Quote from: Steph on July 19, 2007, 04:40:28 PM

Steph

Just marry a Chef, save replacing  lots of pots / pans in the long run.

Buffy
  •  

Sheila

I cook rice the same way Cindi does. Mine always turns out good. I buy the minute rice and I have made some expensive wild rice the same way. Yes, the less clean up that I have to do the better off I am. I do about 60% of the cooking and most of the clean up.
Sheila
  •  

Kate

Quote from: Asianrose on August 05, 2007, 10:56:37 PM
Steamed rice is the easiest food to make... and you can make fried rice with cold steamed rice...,

How do you fry it?

It drives me crazy... I cook it normally, then get it good and dry... toss it in hot oil (or terriyaki sauce) and TRY to fry it, but it just ends up oily and wet?

~Kate~
  •  

jamie lee

Quote from: Kate on August 06, 2007, 03:24:58 PM
Quote from: Asianrose on August 05, 2007, 10:56:37 PM
Steamed rice is the easiest food to make... and you can make fried rice with cold steamed rice...,

How do you fry it?

It drives me crazy... I cook it normally, then get it good and dry... toss it in hot oil (or terriyaki sauce) and TRY to fry it, but it just ends up oily and wet?

~Kate~

I always make my rice in the microwave and it come out perfect almost everytime !

Kate if you want to fry your rice make it the day before and place in the frig overnite, this will let the starches dry out. Get your pan or wok nice and hot add a little oil (add too much and the rice will start to mushy) fry quickly on the high heat, while stiring and add your flavoring,(terriyaki, garlic,left over cubed chicken etc.) don't over fry or the rice will get too dry.

Jamie L.

•  

melissa90299

While in Thailand, I ate in outdoor cafes where they cook right in front of you, fist they all have really well seasoned woks, they use very little oil and only fry the rice for about a minute or two. The Thai fried rice is a lot different than the greasy American version.

The type of rice makes a BIG difference, my preference is Thai Jasmine, really large long grain, it is soooooo good, you don't need butter or anything, it is just soooooo tasty in its own! If you want a sticky rice, simply add more water. This is not rocket science, stay off the interent while cooking night be rule number one!
  •  

Melissa

Quote from: Thundra on August 06, 2007, 11:14:59 AM
QuoteIf it happens there is a Chinatown where you live, just go there to find a rice cooker. I'm sure you'll be able to find a good one with a good price... Normally there are more choices with moden style in Chinatown for rice cooker... (Anyway, don't buy it in Walmart or Canadian Tire)

LOL.  Exactly!  ditto again. Lots of small family markets on the west coast to pick up a cooker for a good price. DON'T buy one from a big retailer. I got my last one from a tiny thai market almost three years ago and I use it just about everyday.
Hmm, I bought mine for about $25 at walmart (I know, 2 "don'ts"), but it cooks it fine every time and still works.
  •