Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Gender-bending fictional characters

Started by dalebert, May 09, 2014, 05:48:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Felix

Disney Ariel is really hot as a guy. I think I'd like him to have a tad more chest hair, though.

Even without the "fanfiction version of popular characters" caveat, I can't think of a lot of gender bending examples. When I was a kid I remember finding girls who pretended to be boys in fairytales, but never the other way around, and I think it was usually pretty heavily implied that they only pretended to be boys so they could get full human rights or marry princesses.
everybody's house is haunted
  •  

Edge

Quote from: Felix on June 23, 2014, 01:41:23 AM
Even without the "fanfiction version of popular characters" caveat, I can't think of a lot of gender bending examples. When I was a kid I remember finding girls who pretended to be boys in fairytales, but never the other way around, and I think it was usually pretty heavily implied that they only pretended to be boys so they could get full human rights or marry princesses.
Like Viola from Twelfth Night.
  •  

Silver Centurion

Fan fic wise? I really haven't seen a lot of gender bending outside of Loki. There is a decent fan base for Tony Stark's female form because in the comics during the Civil War run Reed was viewing alternate realities and in one of them a female Tony was married to Steve Rogers. I don't see it often but the fic is out there and Tony's pretty pansexual as it is. Thought I'd mention it even though the true fan base for that is Superhusbands lol.

Also male Ariel is hot!  :o
  •  

Danniella

Quote from: Silver Centurion on June 23, 2014, 01:49:36 AM
There is a decent fan base for Tony Stark's female form because in the comics during the Civil War run Reed was viewing alternate realities and in one of them a female Tony was married to Steve Rogers. I don't see it often but the fic is out there and Tony's pretty pansexual as it is. Thought I'd mention it even though the true fan base for that is Superhusbands lol.

Yeah...it was a pretty weird timeline...but spawned an amazing volume of "Iron Woman" fan art xD

You say "Using humor as a defence mechanism" like it's a BAD thing!

•  

dalebert

Disney Ariel is really hot as a guy. I think I'd like him to have a tad more chest hair, though.

Hair increases friction in the water!

Nero

Quote from: Laura Squirrel on June 23, 2014, 12:22:58 AM
Erica Porcupine. a transgirl from my Get Along Gang fanfics. I didn't draw her, though. Kytri here on the forums drew her (along with 2 other original characters of mine and a teenage version of Portia Porcupine).

Oh, is she related to Portia?
Nero was the Forum Admin here at Susan's Place for several years up to the time of his death.
  •  

Edge

I've some female cosplays of the Avengers. Awhile ago, I also saw some female cosplays of Bilbo and the dwarves (minus beards) from The Hobbit.
http://geektyrant.com/news/women-cosplay-as-male-characters-from-the-hobbit
  •  

dalebert

Quote from: Edge on June 23, 2014, 09:44:59 AM
I also saw some female cosplays of Bilbo and the dwarves (minus beards) from The Hobbit.

Odd. I believe Tolkien's female dwarves are also supposed to have beards. How's that for gender bending?

Shana-chan

eeeww NO! No chest hair, eeewww (sorry, it turns me off sort to speak) Plus as was said, it slows you down in water. I'm not attracted to guys but, even I can admit when someone is hot..

Yea, such as Mulan to Ping in order to get into the army to keep her father alive who is too old to be in the war and now that you mention it, I too can't think of any fairytales with guys being girls, only girls being guys..

Quote from: Edge on June 23, 2014, 12:16:23 AM
Also, Neptune and Uranus (I don't know their names) are "cousins" and Neptune was kissing "Brad." Because hinting at incest is somehow better than calling them lesbians.
Yea no, I was already aware of this fact but until I watched that vid, it never bothered me but now it DOES bother me, a lot actually and it's discomforting really. I'm just glad the new remastered version will have a new dub with no cuts and all the original text/scenes and such, including the long awaited Sailor Stars season is finally being dubbed in all it's glory! I'm just, waiting for that dub to be released and, I'll probably watch all 200 episodes..

To the bolded, perhaps incest was more talked about/shown back then than gay/lesbian stuff was? Otherwise, yea, stupid and makes no sense. Then again, Rini was always clinging in a loving way to her Dad and calling him her boyfriend and such and there WAS that scene where Rini was grown up and kissing her Dad on the mouth >_> (I don't mind this, but for them to show this and edit lesbian and other such stuff..)
"Denial will get people no where."
"Don't look to the here & now but rather, to the unknown future & hope on that vs. the here & now."
  •  

Christine Eryn

One of my favorites, I found out about Moyashimon's Kei Yuki from a post here.

Poison from Final Fight/Street Fighter is supposed to be trans too.
"There was a sculptor, and he found this stone, a special stone. He dragged it home and he worked on it for months, until he finally finished. When he was ready he showed it to his friends and they said he had created a great statue. And the sculptor said he hadn't created anything, the statue was always there, he just cleared away the small peices." Rambo III
  •  

Amadeus

Claybourne Humphries of Are You Being Served?  Classic.

My book serial does feature a tonne of LGBTs, and I have a feeling that the protagonist, Connor, will transition later in the serial.  She's a cis-woman, but very masculine.  I think that's why her pansexual male lover is so attracted to her.  Connor and Kenton both love to flip off 'traditional gender roles' by any means possible.

•  

Miss_Bungle1991

Quote from: FA on June 23, 2014, 09:34:21 AM
Oh, is she related to Portia?

No. She moved to Green Meadow from the small town of Pine Corners due to the constant harassment that she dealt with there. Pine Corners was a tiny mountain town that actually existed in the Get Along Gang world. Portia does have a younger cousin that I created named Patricia that lives in Pine Corners. Dotty Dog also has a younger cousin that lives in Pine Corners, as well. Her name is Doris. Those two characters are latter grade school age. So, they would have never crossed paths with Erica since she was a Freshman in high school. She has plenty of friends at this point (not to mention a couple of friends that are more than willing to kick some ass in her defense if that situation arises.) I also started a subplot of sorts since she's become the girlfriend to Bingo Beaver.
  •  

Shana-chan

Quote from: Christine Eryn on June 23, 2014, 12:02:38 PM
One of my favorites, I found out about Moyashimon's Kei Yuki from a post here.

Poison from Final Fight/Street Fighter is supposed to be trans too.
#rant coming

WHY! Why is it every time there is a transgender and or gender bender character in the anime it never get's a dang dub! It really ticks me off!! >:(

#end rant
#sorry for derailing the thread a bit, carry on
"Don't look to the here & now but rather, to the unknown future & hope on that vs. the here & now."
  •  

Edge

Quote from: Shana-chan on June 23, 2014, 02:00:54 PM
#rant coming

WHY! Why is it every time there is a transgender and or gender bender character in the anime it never get's a dang dub! It really ticks me off!! >:(

#end rant
#sorry for derailing the thread a bit, carry on
Both Hellsing and Black Butler have been dubbed. Alucard from Hellsing at one point takes the form of a teenage girl. Grell from Black Butler is a non-op trans woman.
  •  

Shana-chan

Quote from: Edge on June 23, 2014, 04:21:46 PM
Both Hellsing and Black Butler have been dubbed. Alucard from Hellsing at one point takes the form of a teenage girl. Grell from Black Butler is a non-op trans woman.
I knew about Grell but, I don't care for Hellsing, anyway, that's two and I just remembered there is a trans person in Haganai but aside from these three anime (And ranma) there are so many more that never get a dub. :(
  •  

Amy The Bookworm

Quote from: Shana-chan on May 10, 2014, 09:40:47 AM
OH GAWD! I shouldn't be surprised seeing as I'm aware they edited the dub big time but, this, THIS!? I honestly thought she was a girl this whole time. *Speechless* Really though, imo in the dub she is a girl, Japanese though is another story. Anyway, I've heard in the final season of Sailor Moon which never got dubbed someone had a sex change (I've got a good guess who) but wouldn't know more and am still trying to get around to watching it.

In the last season of Sailor Moon, there's a few characters who are male when out just doing their thing, but when they use their abilities, they turn into women. And yeah, that's why the last season was never brought over in any form. I think they're going to release it fairly soon though.
  •  

Shana-chan

Quote from: Amy The Bookworm on June 24, 2014, 12:52:03 AM
In the last season of Sailor Moon, there's a few characters who are male when out just doing their thing, but when they use their abilities, they turn into women. And yeah, that's why the last season was never brought over in any form. I think they're going to release it fairly soon though.
Actually, in the manga they were never male anatomically, and when the anime happened and they did that to them it displeased (I forget the person's name) the person because it went again their wishes because their rule was that only females could be Sailor Senshi (Sailor Scouts for the dub). Also, the real reason why the last season was never dubbed is because Toei Animation never put it up for licensing, thus, they couldn't dub it. I won't lie when I say I question that though, as well as why they didn't put it up for licensing and yeah, the new remastered dub is supposed to come out this Aug. I believe it was.
  •  

Natkat

Quote from: dalebert on May 10, 2014, 11:25:02 AM
Rule #63 apparently. Here's Ariel as a dood.

See More

some people belive the little mermaid was written with HC using himself decribing the love he could never get from collin. in that sense Ariel is kinda a gender-bender character no matter how its put.
---
theres alot of gender-bender characters from manga and anime but right now, what comes to my mind is mustique from Xmen.

•  

Edge

Axl from The Almighty Johnsons accidentally turns himself into a girl in one episode.
  •  

skin

In the Marvel Ultimate universe (an alternate reality than the main Marvel storyline), Jessica Drew/Black Widow is a clone of Peter Parker.  She was created in a lab by Doc Oc and even has the memories of Peter Parker.  She says she has a female body, but has retained Peter's male mind, including an affinity for redheaded women.  She seems pretty comfortable with herself as she is though.
"Choosing to be true to one's self — despite challenges that may come with the journey — is an integral part of realizing not just one's own potential, but of realizing the true nature of our collective human spirit. This spirit is what makes us who we are, and by following that spirit as it manifests outwardly, and inwardly, you are benefiting us all." -Andrew WK
  •