Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Army Level Fitness

Started by VisorDown, February 09, 2015, 01:11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VisorDown

Hey,

The title probably clued you in. I'm looking to join the army at some point in my life. Now I've started dieting again (Lemme tell ya, that Christmas period? Not good for weight loss) I want to start gradually increasing my fitness level. I already enjoy outdoorsy things, I just don't really have many friends to play basketball with.

Right now, Gym membership is out of the question. Wayyy too expensive for a college student with no income. So is martial arts training (though I am working on that one). Just looking for advice on how to build up muscle strength and stamina, and keeping myself motivated. I might not even sign up for another few years. I just want to make sure I'm ready and able for when I do.

But yeah. Anyone here served in the armed forces? How'd you get started on your physical training?

Thanks,
Alaric
  •  

FTMax

I was never military, but I was a police officer for two years. There's really no need for expensive gym memberships or classes in order to get functionally fit for career purposes. When I was going into the academy I researched what the standards were that I would be required to meet, and I started immediately doing those things in a similar way.

For me, I had to do push ups, sit-ups, a 300 meter sprint, and a 1.5 mile run. These are each graded pass/fail and based on age. I made a workout schedule that would be similar to the academy schedule (2 hours a day, 5 days in a row). I have an easy time with push-ups and sit-ups, so those were my Tuesday/Thursday workouts and I would just do those things in sets. Monday/Wednesday/Friday I did interval training for running to build up my cardio. I got in good shape quickly, and I was extremely well prepared for my line of work.

Personally, I'm a big fan of training with specific goals in mind and I think that makes it easy to see where you're at and how much further you need to go. I know each branch of the military has specific physical requirements. I'd strongly suggest training with those requirements in mind and incorporating any testable items into your workout routine so that you're used to doing them and will be able to do them well.
T: 12/5/2014 | Top: 4/21/2015 | Hysto: 2/6/2016 | Meta: 3/21/2017

I don't come here anymore, so if you need to get in touch send an email: maxdoeswork AT protonmail.com
  •  

Dani

Alaric,

The last time I passed the Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT) was 12 years ago. I was 53 years of age at the time. In those days the APFT consisted of situps and pushups and a 2 mile run. The required number of repetitions varied with your age.

Really, the only thing anyone needs to do is get down to ideal weight and do some running several times a week. The situps and pushups can be easily done by anyone with a consistent workout routine. You do not need to join a gym. Just do some calisthenics on a daily basis and you will have no trouble passing the APFT.

Been there and done that.

Retired after 22 years. 

Just do it!

Someone said that and it is true!
  •