Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Yeson voice feminization surgery 2.0

Started by anjaq, July 21, 2015, 07:05:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iKate

Mean pitch for my latest recording was 195Hz but there is a reason for that. Apparently I am dipping down low in some words, or Praat thinks I am. Nevertheless it sure sounds feminine to me, and I am very happy about how it sounds, numbers be damned.
  •  

Teslagirl

Quote from: Dana88 on August 10, 2015, 11:55:02 AM
Alright! Here she is boys! Here she is girls! Here's one month  :).

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1mTgXYD1QQM

I, like iKate decided the Rainbow Passage was tired  :P and I recorded the opening paragraph of my favorite book "The Pillars of the Earth." I measured in Praat. My original fundamental frequency was 152hz. This recording was already 195.9hz  :D. My voice is still weak and breathy, but I'm already so happy and can't wait to see what the next several weeks bring.

Marvellous Dana, totally female, just like Kate! Did you have any hint what it might sound like before the one month period was up? Were you totally amazed when you first heard yourself? Dr Kim is brilliant isn't he? And to think voice surgery had such an awful reputation for so many years.
  •  

anjaq

Ok, to comfort Teslagirl, I will post a comparison now of 2-3 weeks post op versus 6 months post op - and really - i had no idea at the 2 week stage as to how it would turn out. I just told myself it will get betterbecause of course after 2 weeks all is swollen, after 4 weeks all is still weak and also swollen. So I began to see how it will be at about week 6 maybe, week 8 was also cool because then I could try out my pitch range and my singing voice and laughter and such.

So, here comes the absolutely horrible recording after 2-3 weeks using my "two words a day":
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1XPp1iLr6vs

And this was yesterday:
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0pGMy9c1tjd

Still some hoarseness/breathiness and creakiness to get rid of. But still 6 months to go until healing supposedly is complete.

•  

Dana88

Quote from: Teslagirl on August 10, 2015, 01:21:25 PM
Marvellous Dana, totally female, just like Kate! Did you have any hint what it might sound like before the one month period was up? Were you totally amazed when you first heard yourself? Dr Kim is brilliant isn't he? And to think voice surgery had such an awful reputation for so many years.

Thanks! And no I did not. As iKate and anjaq can attest, I was terrified. I had one slight mess up early on and my voice sounded the same, just super hoarse but no different in pitch. Then earlier this week I did a recording using my two emergency words and my voice was definitely higher and softer in timbre but it was still very hoarse. Today there's no hoarseness whatsoever and it's even higher then it was a few days ago. Just try to relax :-).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
~Dana
  •  

Teslagirl

Quote from: anjaq on August 10, 2015, 01:37:03 PM
Ok, to comfort Teslagirl, I will post a comparison now of 2-3 weeks post op versus 6 months post op - and really - i had no idea at the 2 week stage as to how it would turn out. I just told myself it will get betterbecause of course after 2 weeks all is swollen, after 4 weeks all is still weak and also swollen. So I began to see how it will be at about week 6 maybe, week 8 was also cool because then I could try out my pitch range and my singing voice and laughter and such.

So, here comes the absolutely horrible recording after 2-3 weeks using my "two words a day":
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1XPp1iLr6vs

And this was yesterday
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0pGMy9c1tjd

Still some hoarseness/breathiness and creakiness to get rid of. But still 6 months to go until healing supposedly is complete.

That's a really massive improvement Anja. Can I ask if you were putting the same degree of effort into both voices?

Thanks,

Sarah.
  •  

anjaq

Well, at week 2, I could barely use the voice to make these words really, so I cannot really compare the effort. Basically both are low effort, but of course in my current voice I do use more projection and resonance and volume - back then this was impossible and I had not enough word allowance on a day to try anything - nor was it allowed. So I just managed to somehow say hello twice, it was barely audible, it was creaky, hoarse, low in pitch - horrible. I just decided to not ever use those two word allowance again and wait until week 5 before I try again.

By that time It was starting to flip between good and very hoarse and broken - pitch went up and down a bit, I had pitch control issues in the beginning, sounding like I exaggerate my intonations because the same muscle control would increase my pitch twice as much as before, so that sounded silly.

I think it took me until about week 8 to somewhat stabilize into a more or less permanently breathy but more stable in pitch voice.

Whats fascinating is that my voice was on some of the early days much clearer than ever since - I guess that was when the Botox still acted - when it was ending to act at month 4, I was getting hoarse and more breathy and had more issues with the voice breaking. Recovery from that still goes on with the Clonazepam and voice therapy and all of that...

•  

iKate

Here is a 2 week recording to reassure Sarah and others who may be thinking that the surgery is a failure because they haven't gotten any increase in only 2 weeks.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1QvR4Xpllfy

I say the words, "two weeks."

Notice that it sounds absolutely nothing like what I sound like today.
  •  

Teslagirl

Quote from: anjaq on August 10, 2015, 03:10:52 AM
To be honest, I did ask Dr Kim in my 6 month update email now if that option (laser tuning) would be a viable one after his kind of surgery. I am not sure I would do it, but I am just checking options for pitch change.

What did he say about laser tuning? Can he do it?

Quote from: anjaq on August 10, 2015, 03:10:52 AM
I am happy with the other effects of the surgery so far as I described them, but maybe that massive coughing spell directly after surgery just did not allow my pitch to go as much up as it could have. I guess I should have forgot about the $1500 I would have lost and postponed the surgery by a year or so when I had that cold right before the surgery date and it just barely was over - it probably is what caused that coughing :( - I would love to know if Dr Kim would agree on that, but Jessie always told me that as long as the suture held - and that it did - the coughing in the wake up room should not have done any damage.

I think that Jessie is right. Remember she has vast experience of many, many patients, and if she's happy, that should give you a lot of reassurance. As for waiting... It's all very well looking at things with the benefit of hindsight, but could you really have waited a year? You'd go mad with anticipation waiting all that while!

Sarah
  •  

Teslagirl

Quote from: iKate on August 10, 2015, 03:14:31 PM
Here is a 2 week recording to reassure Sarah and others who may be thinking that the surgery is a failure because they haven't gotten any increase in only 2 weeks.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1QvR4Xpllfy

I say the words, "two weeks."

Notice that it sounds absolutely nothing like what I sound like today.

Actually yes, that is massively different from your current results.
I'll try to stay positive and see how it works out. I'm scared to talk right now but as I'm at three weeks, maybe I should make very short recording. I'll think about it.

Sarah.
  •  

iKate

Quote from: Teslagirl on August 10, 2015, 03:19:35 PM
Actually yes, that is massively different from your current results.
I'll try to stay positive and see how it works out. I'm scared to talk right now but as I'm at three weeks, maybe I should make very short recording. I'll think about it.

Sarah.

Really, just don't. Let it heal! It probably won't make a lick of difference, but why risk it? I only said a few things because my kids were acting up and I did one short test at 2 weeks. Otherwise, silence. And yes, it was hard. I even had a petrol station attendant touching me and I couldn't tell him off, so I just drove off.
  •  

Teslagirl

Quote from: iKate on August 10, 2015, 03:21:14 PM
Really, just don't. Let it heal! It probably won't make a lick of difference, but why risk it? I only said a few things because my kids were acting up and I did one short test at 2 weeks. Otherwise, silence. And yes, it was hard. I even had a petrol station attendant touching me and I couldn't tell him off, so I just drove off.

Ok, I'll keep quiet.

Yes, staying quiet is really an education into how people who can't speak are treated. People raise their voices, as if they think I'm deaf or perhaps stupid, and say things loudly and exaggeratedly slowly, so I'll get it. They make exaggerated mouth movements as well. If it wasn't embarassing, it would be really funny. There's nothing wrong with my hearing.

I showed a written message in my notebook at my local Co-op store and the woman at the counter said she thought it was a hold-up at first!!

Sarah.
  •  

iKate

Quote from: Teslagirl on August 10, 2015, 03:29:04 PM
Ok, I'll keep quiet.

Yes, staying quiet is really an education into how people who can't speak are treated. People raise their voices, as if they think I'm deaf or perhaps stupid, and say things loudly and exaggeratedly slowly, so I'll get it. They make exaggerated mouth movements as well. If it wasn't embarassing, it would be really funny. There's nothing wrong with my hearing.

I showed a written message in my notebook at my local Co-op store and the woman at the counter said she thought it was a hold-up at first!!

Sarah.
Oh gosh!

Well me being brown complexion people think I don't speak English. That is completely reversed from when Indian restaurants and gas station owners think I speak Hindi (I don't) and try to talk to me in Hindi. I speak English and Spanish and that's about it.
  •  

iKate

I had to call Bank of America today... called me miss <male name>. Then proceeded to put me through the security wringer (I was activating a replacement credit card). Surprisingly though, they did not ask if that was "my husband's" credit card as people sometimes do when I hand over the card in person.
  •  

anjaq

Quote from: Teslagirl on August 10, 2015, 03:14:58 PM
1 What did he say about laser tuning? Can he do it?
I have not yet gotten a reply. But I think if it would pose any risk at all, I will not do it. My voice is at a comfortable 170 Hz now, when I am using more inflection its easily at 180 Hz. The male timbre is gone - I think I am doing ok. But I would not decline to get 1-2 semitones pitch increase, which is what can be expected from laser tuning

2 I think that Jessie is right. Remember she has vast experience of many, many patients, and if she's happy, that should give you a lot of reassurance. As for waiting... It's all very well looking at things with the benefit of hindsight, but could you really have waited a year? You'd go mad with anticipation waiting all that while!
True - I would have been such a mess by now, waiting for another half year and then another - no, I wanted this done so badly at that time...

3 Yes, staying quiet is really an education into how people who can't speak are treated. People raise their voices, as if they think I'm deaf or perhaps stupid, and say things loudly and exaggeratedly slowly, so I'll get it. They make exaggerated mouth movements as well. If it wasn't embarassing, it would be really funny. There's nothing wrong with my hearing.
Yes, I found it an interesting and enlightening experience and sort of enjoyed a lot of it, knowing that it was only a temporary thing. I was also not embarrassed about it at all, really.- People were usually really friendly to me.
Naturally a lot assumed I was deaf, as this is often connected to being mute - in some cases it was just some reflex I guess since they first talked to me and then used signs, even though they must have noticed that I understood them very well when they talked to me before they found I could only reply in text ;)

4 I showed a written message in my notebook at my local Co-op store and the woman at the counter said she thought it was a hold-up at first!!
Well, thats USA for you - LOL.
I always used my mobile to text.

I had the "Speech assistant" app installed plus "Swype keyboard", so I could type super fast and then either show the text in largest letters possible on the screen or even use text to speech to let the phone read it for me.

•  

Dana88

So already on day two, my voice feels exponentially stronger than it did yesterday. Not back to business as usual, but at least now I see the pathway to get there. :-) So happy already!

~Dana
  •  

iKate

Quote from: anjaq on August 11, 2015, 09:02:43 AM

Well, thats USA for you - LOL.
I always used my mobile to text.

I had the "Speech assistant" app installed plus "Swype keyboard", so I could type super fast and then either show the text in largest letters possible on the screen or even use text to speech to let the phone read it for me.

What? Teslagirl is in the UK...

The weird experiences I've had (apart from the touching/groping incident):

People thinking I don't speak English
People thinking I'm deaf, so they try to sign to me. Hello, I can hear you perfectly, I just can't talk.
People thinking I'm anti social.
Getting repeat phone calls because I'm not returning people's phone calls... it's because I can't talk! Those I can e-mail I e-mail.
And my kids constantly tugging my dress or tapping me because I'm not answering them. :\

However, most people were nice.
  •  

iKate

Quote from: Dana88 on August 11, 2015, 10:03:32 AM
So already on day two, my voice feels exponentially stronger than it did yesterday. Not back to business as usual, but at least now I see the pathway to get there. :-) So happy already!

Yes, as I had mentioned it's like an old car that you parked for a month and you're now starting it back. Your voice will get stronger in time. Mine is at a decent volume now and I think I can talk almost as loudly as I did pre-op but I haven't tried. There is literally no discomfort talking at all. However I cannot yet access higher pitches. I haven't tried. That I am waiting on month 2 and exercises.
  •  

anjaq

Quote from: iKate on August 11, 2015, 11:14:15 AM
Yes, as I had mentioned it's like an old car that you parked for a month and you're now starting it back. Your voice will get stronger in time. Mine is at a decent volume now and I think I can talk almost as loudly as I did pre-op but I haven't tried. There is literally no discomfort talking at all. However I cannot yet access higher pitches. I haven't tried. That I am waiting on month 2 and exercises.

...more like parking it for half a year or so - lol - I still need to work on it to get all the volume and clarity back, but it gets better and today after voice therapy I was seriously very happy with my voice - I noticed when I am not holding back, my clarity and also pitch will get better by a bit.

I also waited until week 8 to try pitches. But I was amazed that immediately at that time I was able to go almost to my old peak. I lost maybe 2 notes on top, but I had the impression that it was even easier post op to go in the high pitches than in the lower ones that I would use for speaking. So head voice still is wasier and causes less noise or discomfort than the chest voice.

And sorry about that commetn on Teslagirl and the USA - I did not think properly ;) - Would have been typical for the USA though, but I guess the UK is also a bit like that - people are feeling kind of unsafe and are afraid? I do not believe if I had done that here, someone would thought I was about to rob them. LOL

•  

iKate

Quote from: anjaq on August 11, 2015, 02:26:13 PM
And sorry about that commetn on Teslagirl and the USA - I did not think properly ;) - Would have been typical for the USA though, but I guess the UK is also a bit like that - people are feeling kind of unsafe and are afraid? I do not believe if I had done that here, someone would thought I was about to rob them. LOL

Oh, no worries. The note stuff is funny though, because it's true! My mom worked in a bank once and her hairs would raise every time someone handed her a note and didn't say anything. The branch did get robbed a few times. Then another bank bought them and closed them down.
  •