Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

A question about CA DMV forms.

Started by Stevie, October 26, 2015, 03:21:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevie

I am currently in the process of changing my name and gender. I live in California and I have filed papers with the court and have a hearing in November. My question has to do with the DMV, forms DL329 (gender change) and DL44 (name change) ask for your "true name" since I will have the court order when I do this, will I use my new name and gender? I know that seems like the logical thing but bureaucracy and logic don't always go together.
  •  

thegator

how did your court date go.... i got one soon & freaking out i went for both name & gender even though i did not have surgery but been on HRT 1year?... hopefully i got a change

can you till me what to expect & what the judge will ask or say or bring up to give me a heads up?

to answer your question EVERYTHING YOU NEED is right here EVERYTHING

http://transgenderlawcenter.org/issues/id/id-please
[Nothing herein is meant to be construed as legal advice]
  •  

Stevie

My hearing lasted about five minutes, he said I really didn't have to be there since no one contested it. Clerks were very helpful about getting my certified copies. You will need to go to the Social security office before you go to the DMV. The DMV keep will  your licences and you need a picture ID for the SSI. I was able to get both the SSI and DMV done the same day I went to court. I still need to get my birth certificate changed, as well as the deed for my house I have to do a quit claim deed to do that and I think I may need a real estate lawyer so I don't screw it up.   

•  

Obfuskatie

I didn't have to publish my name since I  used the name and gender change forms. If you need help with any of the forms or whatever, the transgender law center helped me a lot with my stuff. My hearing was pretty short, and I got a lot of sideways looks from the judge but had no issues. The main trouble I had was making sure I had all the proper documents, it required me to go back and forth to the courthouse many times and the process took several months. Make sure you have all your forms properly filled out before you go and save yourself a lot of headaches.

Hugs,
- Katie
Sent from Katie's iPad using Tapatalk

If people are what they eat, I really need to stop eating such neurotic food  :icon_shakefist:
  •  

thegator

UPDATE: i just had court and it was great.
i walked in sat down only 4 people in court room after 2 where done he called me up looked at case said NOPE i never saw something like this before GO sit down ill get to you later... but did you publish in news... i said dont need to & went and sat dwon

later comes after court room is empty and he signed it no questions asked or said....

lol
Side Note: he said the reason he sent me back to my seat was so he did not bring up in front of everyone why i was there cuz what it was for it was private.... & wanted to respect my privacy

he is such a sweet judge.
  •  

Obfuskatie

Congrats!

Hugs,
- Katie
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If people are what they eat, I really need to stop eating such neurotic food  :icon_shakefist:
  •  

Jessie Ann

Congrats girl! 

Once you have your certified copy of your court order go to the Social Security Administration and get your SS records changed to reflect your name and gender.  Use form SS-5. 

Then you can go to DMV and process your change with them.  Even though you have the name and gender change with court, DMV requires you to have DL-329 completed by your doctor to change your gender marker.  (I know it is redundant because you need to file the same basic information with the court to get your gender changed and this is something that needs to be changed in California law.)  Your doctor will need to certify if your gender transition is complete or transitional.  If it is transitional you will need to resubmit the form every 5 years.  However because you have legally had your gender changed your doctor should check off the complete box.   

The DMV will direct you on how to fill out the DL44 but as I remember I was told to put my old name in the TN field because that is what the DMV records that are being changed has.   

Good luck and welcome sister!
  •  

thegator

what will i need to take with me to DMV

i have the DMV Paper filled out from Doctor, but i dont have a New COpy of Birth Certificate yet.... still trying to fiugre out how to fill it out and what to fill out on it.... ugh

so what do i need to take to DMV?
1. DL 329
2. New Social Security Card
3. Court Order Reflecting New Changes
4. Me, My Self & i
5. $28 Dollars.... lol hope they take CASH....
6. ??????????
  •  

Jessie Ann

You need a certified copy of your court order.
You need the DL 329 completed by your doctor (true name is your new legal name)
At the DMV you will need to fill out DL 44 (they will direct you in how to fill it out)
You need to be there (lol)
I did not have to pay a fee for the change/correction when I did mine in June.
You do not have to have your new birth certificate.
You probably do not need your actual SS card.

Good luck and be prepared to have your picture taken as your new self.
Congratulations girl!

Quote from: thegator on January 05, 2016, 12:24:46 AM
what will i need to take with me to DMV

i have the DMV Paper filled out from Doctor, but i dont have a New COpy of Birth Certificate yet.... still trying to fiugre out how to fill it out and what to fill out on it.... ugh

so what do i need to take to DMV?
1. DL 329
2. New Social Security Card
3. Court Order Reflecting New Changes
4. Me, My Self & i
5. $28 Dollars.... lol hope they take CASH....
6. ??????????
  •  

thegator

i forgot to update:

i got back from DMV JAN 14th 2016 and lol.... it was a mess... but i did it now i wait to see if CARD comes in mail.

my little story... what happend

i walked in, ( i made appointment good thing there was a line for walk ins.... ) 1 person in the appointment line, my turn the man asked what are you here for i show him the GENDER CHANGE FORM he was really Professional & said to fill out this BIG ASS FORM..... and i said do i have to do the VOTER registration he said NO ( i did it any way .... hehehe ) and i went back up there MANY TIMES for diffrent questions.... & then i went to the next window after they called my #, and it was FAST .... i just sat dwon when i hear # blah blah blah to WIndow Blah bla i was like wow....

i get up there the name his hi sir what can i do for you 2day.... i show him the GENDER FORM... he looked at me, said do you have your court paper i said yes show it to him, i went to the computer to change it but his OVER RIDE PASSWORD would not work had to call SACRAMENTO talk to DMV HQ .... no luck... after that.... try again.... then he said that will be $29 dollar...... i said Um ya like i only got $28.....   he tills the manager um ya this lady dose not have the full amount.... his manager is like... well she will have to come back later.... then i guy next to me handed me $1 dollar and said we all been there before.... and

i got my stuff changed and he printed out a form and said GO GET YO PHOTO CHANGED....

i got to the photo center and the thing you sign for NAME was so fraked up that i am sure it will look SUPER bad on my card i also turned SUPER BRIGHT RED..... as soon as the photo snaps.... so my card is going to be hell....

BUT... BUT..... how often do i use that card....

at bank each time i cash a check.... UGH..... many times a month
sex store....
Drinks...
Doctor office
and many more so ... if the photo comes out bad ill go back and hope i can re-do it lol....

ALL IN ALL

only thing left is my BIrth Certificate & i just mailed that off today with a VS24 form and court form and money and copy of my birth paper so FINGERS CROSSED!
  •