Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Amateur Radio License

Started by iKate, November 17, 2015, 08:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iKate

I am a ham. Won't mention my callsign here but if you ask nicely privately I can let you know.

Anyway I thought long and hard about what I would do about it. I have a nice short 1x2 callsign that is made up of my initials. It would be heartbreaking to give that up since 1x2 callsigns have become extremely scarce since the FCC dropped the morse code test making it much easier to get an Extra class license.

I came out to my two ham radio clubs and given the level of acceptance there, I figured why not just change my name in the FCC ULS and be done with it. The FCC wants to make historical data private anyway and that is a good move. As of now though, people can with some effort see my old name. But they can do that anyway if they look for the newspaper ad publication of my name change.

So I kept my callsign.

FCC = US Federal Communications Commission, basically our radio licensing authority
ULS = Universal Licensing System, an online portal used to manage FCC licenses
FRN = FCC Registration Number, a number assigned to you by the FCC that is tied to your SSN or company's Taxpayer ID number. This was mandated by the debt collection improvement act of 1996. My license was actually pre ULS and I had gotten a FRN in the mail in 2001.

The process itself was fairly straightforward. I logged on to the FCC ULS with my FRN and password. I selected "Administrative update" and changed my name there. I had to attach a scanned copy of the court order under "attachments."

FCC processed and granted the application and when the batch updates happen my name will be fully updated in the system.

I've already been using my name on air anyway and nobody really seems to care. I've heard horror stories about on-air harassment but I'm mostly a DXer anyway.

Anyway just thought I'd share my experience with the process.

73 es 88 de iKate
  •  

Karen5519

Quote from: iKate on November 17, 2015, 08:43:44 PM
I am a ham. Won't mention my callsign here but if you ask nicely privately I can let you know.

Anyway I thought long and hard about what I would do about it. I have a nice short 1x2 callsign that is made up of my initials. It would be heartbreaking to give that up since 1x2 callsigns have become extremely scarce since the FCC dropped the morse code test making it much easier to get an Extra class license.

I came out to my two ham radio clubs and given the level of acceptance there, I figured why not just change my name in the FCC ULS and be done with it. The FCC wants to make historical data private anyway and that is a good move. As of now though, people can with some effort see my old name. But they can do that anyway if they look for the newspaper ad publication of my name change.

So I kept my callsign.

FCC = US Federal Communications Commission, basically our radio licensing authority
ULS = Universal Licensing System, an online portal used to manage FCC licenses
FRN = FCC Registration Number, a number assigned to you by the FCC that is tied to your SSN or company's Taxpayer ID number. This was mandated by the debt collection improvement act of 1996. My license was actually pre ULS and I had gotten a FRN in the mail in 2001.

The process itself was fairly straightforward. I logged on to the FCC ULS with my FRN and password. I selected "Administrative update" and changed my name there. I had to attach a scanned copy of the court order under "attachments."

FCC processed and granted the application and when the batch updates happen my name will be fully updated in the system.

I've already been using my name on air anyway and nobody really seems to care. I've heard horror stories about on-air harassment but I'm mostly a DXer anyway.

Anyway just thought I'd share my experience with the process.

73 es 88 de iKate

Kate,

Small world.  I have dealt with the FCC daily for years in my work.  They are pretty easy to work with nowadays as long as you do not break the rules.  With the state of the current economy the Enforcement Division is fining people/stations for the smallest of rule violations and they are getting ready to increase the fines again.  I have had a first class radio/telephone license for years.  Nice to hear you are a DXer.  I am sure you meet some interesting people from all over!
  •  

iKate

Quote from: Karen5519 on November 18, 2015, 09:17:59 AM
Kate,

Small world.  I have dealt with the FCC daily for years in my work.  They are pretty easy to work with nowadays as long as you do not break the rules.  With the state of the current economy the Enforcement Division is fining people/stations for the smallest of rule violations and they are getting ready to increase the fines again.  I have had a first class radio/telephone license for years.  Nice to hear you are a DXer.  I am sure you meet some interesting people from all over!

Karen, I absolutely do! And my both radio clubs have been very nice and accepting and told me please don't leave because they want me to continue as a member. Good enough for me.

The ULS simplifies things a lot but it is archaic now in the age of web 2.0 and HTML5. They really need an update.

I have a friend, Mark, N4MJC who is a software developer for the FCC.

I think amateur enforcement has been seriously dialed down. I remember the days of Riley Hollingsworth (k4zdh) handing out NALs like crazy for all sorts of on air behavior. I had actually met him at ARRL centennial celebration last year.

Now they have Laura Smith, and I hope she continues the good tradition that Riley had.

Amateur radio is a big part of my life and I am happy I can continue with it.
  •  

Karen5519

Kate,

I think that is fantastic!  I am an attorney and have practiced before the FCC for over 20 years......my clients are mainly in the broadcast and cable areas with a few in the common carrier area.  Before transition I owned more than few stations myself.  I was lucky to get out of ownership before radio fell apart. You should see what the fines are for the media bureau.......insane.  I fight NAL's often.  The FCC needs better software......much of what they have in the area I practice is archaic.  Anyway, it is great to know someone who is like me and who also understands the in's and out's of RF!  Kate.......people like us can do anything.....when we refuse to let the naysayers and ignorant sorts hold us back!
  •  

laurenb

Kate
I don't post much but I always read your posts. I'm an extra class myself and I have had much angst about my hobby conflicting with my transition. You made me feel like it's ok to be an amateur radio operator and a trans woman at the same time. I know, it's silly right? There are plenty of women hams. But for some reason it's a GD trigger. I guess I need a trans ham Elmer. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  •  

iKate

Quote from: laurenb on November 18, 2015, 07:57:07 PM
Kate
I don't post much but I always read your posts. I'm an extra class myself and I have had much angst about my hobby conflicting with my transition. You made me feel like it's ok to be an amateur radio operator and a trans woman at the same time. I know, it's silly right? There are plenty of women hams. But for some reason it's a GD trigger. I guess I need a trans ham Elmer. Thanks.

I'm more than happy to be your elmer, or whatever, or just your friend.

I think I know why you feel how you do and it is multiple fold.

I could write a lot on transition as a ham... I have been a ham since 1997, I love the hobby I would not give it up for the world.

First of all, what scares some people off is that ham radio is typically a hobby of old men. The average age of hams is over 50. A friend of mine (a woman, actually) made a joke asking if I was retiring. I asked, why? She said ham radio is a hobby for retired engineers.

That aside there are some things in ham radio which are very much on the dark side. For example, 75 meters after dark above 3800MHz. Or maybe some guy who you QRMed by accident. Or maybe the local repeater where it's the same 5 guys and they won't welcome any newcomers.

The other thing is if you use phone modes and your voice is not passable it might cause problems. This is one of the major reasons I fixed my voice first in my transition. I already use it on air without problem. Of course if you operate CW or digital modes you won't have that issue.

The way I handled my transition with my ham clubs is that I told a few people privately first, and when I was at a point to reveal to them I did. I gave the president and meeting host a heads up and I went to a meeting.

The last meeting I went to was my DX club and I met everyone again. Some people were confused. They thought I was my wife. However during the health and welfare reports portion of the meeting I stood up and I said this:

"Hello, this isn't really an introduction but more of a re-introduction. My callsign is <my call> my name is Kate (not my real name) and I used to be known as (old name). I appreciate all the support and I would just like to say that I AM BACK."

I got a hearty round of applause and I got private emails from club members generally wishing me well. I have not had one negative reaction.

However, I know cases of trans women who have had very negative experiences and some even ending up leaving the hobby as a result.

I would say that despite the fact that everyone should be tolerant, you have to prepare yourself to re-introduce yourself with grace. And you really need to understand that with some people they are still stuck in old ways of thinking but if they realize that you are a genuine person they will warm up to you.

iKate
  •