Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

"natural" transition and male pattern baldness

Started by Asche, January 21, 2016, 06:03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asche

I've read that one way to handle transition is to go on HRT and more or less live your life and start social transition when people start "misgendering" you.  For lack of a better term, I've called this "natural" transition.  (If anyone knows of a better term for it, I'll happily edit my post.)

Anyway, I was planning to do it this way, but suddenly realized: since I have no hair except on the sides and back of my head, no one is likely to gender me female unless I start wearing a wig.  (I've resigned myself to having to wear a wig for the rest of my life.)  But if I start wearing a wig, I'm likely to "out" myself, or at least have people asking me what's going on.  (I got a lot of comments when I shaved off my beard.)

Any suggestions on how to handle this?  I.e., how to make my hair so it could be seen as either male or female?
"...  I think I'm great just the way I am, and so are you." -- Jazz Jennings

CPTSD
  •  

Ms Grace

Quote from: Asche on January 21, 2016, 06:03:30 PM
I've read that one way to handle transition is to go on HRT and more or less live your life and start social transition when people start "misgendering" you.

That is really only an option for a certain number of people - primarily those who still have all their hair (and andro or feminine features). If you don't have any hair up top it just isn't likely to happen. I can relate as I am in the same boat. For those of us who can just drift into social transition the only real option is to bite the bullet and go full time when you believe the time is right. Yes it's scary, but it is at least something you have some control over.

QuoteAny suggestions on how to handle this?  I.e., how to make my hair so it could be seen as either male or female?

If you have no hair on top you could try a hat. Or a scarf/bandana... I should say though that I saw a trans woman at the trains station yesterday with a bandana and, although she had a dress on too, it just didn't work for her at all.
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

JLT1

Hi,

I still wear a wig.  A year and a half after going full time.  I will say it isn't as bad as one would think.  While the hair thing isn't to good...the 40DDD breasts make up for that to some extent.  With a wig, I pass 100%.

Now, to your point.  I can put on a tight sports bra, guy clothes and ball room dance with my wife once a week without a problem.

Take E for a period of time and then grab a wig and go for it.  You will not pass because mannerisms and voice will give you away.  However, you will get there.

Hugs

Jen
To move forward is to leave behind that which has become dear. It is a call into the wild, into becoming someone currently unknown to us. For most, it is a call too frightening and too challenging to heed. For some, it is a call to be more than we were capable of being, both now and in the future.
  •  

JoanneB

As a perspective member of "The Hair Club For Men" since about the age of 14 I have resigned myself that the world, much like my dog, will give me an odd look seeing me with a full head of hair. No way no how can I imagine the "Andro" look.

It's a dive into the deep end of the pool as I see it :o
.          (Pile Driver)  
                    |
                    |
                    ^
(ROCK) ---> ME <--- (HARD PLACE)
  •