Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

will estrogen make me sterile

Started by kaitlin4599, February 21, 2016, 08:40:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaitlin4599

ok so i take  a day of estradiol in pill form have been on estrogen since 2013 my penis size shrank a little i can still have sex and still get hard but im wondering if the estrogen pills have made me sterile i do not want ot have kids but my partner has been wondering if i can get her pregnant since i still ejaculate a little

my endochrinologist told me not to worry and if i was that concerned to just us a condom but im still curious also is there a way i can get tested to see if im sterile?

Mod Edit- No dosages Please TOS 8
  •  

Mariah

It's something I would ask your doctor. It's possible that it hasn't. Some can be on hormones and go sterile. Others can just go off hormones and sometimes be able to again after some time passes. I hope that helps. Hugs
Mariah
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.
[email]mariah@susans.org[/email]
I am also spouse of a transgender person.
Retired News Administrator
Retired (S) Global Moderator
  •  

kaitlin4599

i should have clarrifies in my post that i have never stopped hormones at all have been on them these past 3 years or more
  •  

Obfuskatie

Usually, a full HRT dose with spiro will make you sterile within the first year. I don't know about low doses though. You can get a sperm count for your ejaculate if you go to the doctor and don't mind paying for the test.

Hugs,
- Katie
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If people are what they eat, I really need to stop eating such neurotic food  :icon_shakefist:
  •  

kaitlin4599

im not on spyro at all just estrogen
  •  

Beth Andrea

I asked my dr about the same time as you (3 years in, on both spiro and E). He said its very likel to be sterile,, but the only way to know for sure is to go to a fertility clinic and provide them with "a fresh sample" several times over a few months.

I wasn't inclined to do that, so...

:embarrassed:
...I think for most of us it is a futile effort to try and put this genie back in the bottle once she has tasted freedom...

--read in a Tessa James post 1/16/2017
  •  

sparrow

From my understanding, it's not a guaranteed thing unless the sperm-producing organs have been disabled (vasectomy) or removed (orchiectomy).
  •  

boheme

I guees it depends how suppressed your T levels are, but seeing that you are not taking any anti-androgen, it is certainly possible that you are still fertile (even if your fertility is low).

As Beth and Katie have mentioned though, it is possible to have tests done, if it is something you are concerned about :)
ॐ असतो मा सद्गमय । तमसो मा ज्योतिर्गमय । मृत्योर्मा अमृतं गमय । ॐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ॥
  •  

HughE

If you don't have the money to go to a fertility clinic and get tested, another thing you could do is to look at some of your sperm under a microscope. You don't need anything fancy, it just needs to have at least 40x magnification and use reflected light, not transmitted light (which the cheap ones tend to do anyway). USB microscopes work too, although they tend to cost a bit more.

I have one similar to this:

http://www.amazon.com/Carson-MicroBrite-20x-40x-Microscope-MM-24/dp/B000Z3A8UY/ref=sr_1_45

and it's good enough to see sperm cells. At that magnification, they just look like tiny scintillating points of light and you can't make out much detail of their shape, but that's good enough to see whether they're dead or alive. I've found that a mirror is the best surface to use, lie it flat, put a few drops of sperm on it, and take the microscope out of its base and use it like a extra-powerful magnifying glass to look at the sperm.

Obviously, even if you can't see moving sperm cells, it would be very dangerous to assume that you're completely infertile without the proper testing to confirm it.
  •