Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

GRS at Boston Medical Center

Started by michelle666, March 28, 2016, 03:13:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

michelle666

It seems that they are now performing GRS at BMC in Boston, MA. Dr. Robert Oates is one of the surgeons performing it. Has anyone seen his results? I've spoken with them and they kind of avoid the topic when I asked about seeing recent results. I've searched google several times and cant find anything on him for GRS.
  •  

Briezy

I don't know but I will certainly try and do some research also as I go to the Fenway. It would be great if there was someone local who was good.
-Brie Katherine  :-*

•  

michelle666

Quote from: Briezy on March 28, 2016, 04:52:51 PM
I don't know but I will certainly try and do some research also as I go to the Fenway. It would be great if there was someone local who was good.

I go to Fenway also and they dont even seem to know a lot about what's going on at BMC. During my last therapy session, we spent about half of it searching for info and couldn't find anything.
  •  

Laura_7

According to a top us surgeon it takes a few hundred op's to be really good.

Just saying.

*hugs*
  •  

michelle666

Quote from: Laura_7 on March 28, 2016, 05:40:13 PM
According to a top us surgeon it takes a few hundred op's to be really good.

Just saying.

*hugs*

Yup. That's why I'm keeping my 2017 appt with Marci Bowers. I don't think I want to be a learning experience.
  •  

laurenb

I hadn't heard this. It's great news. You'd think this would be a growth industry - especially in the northeast. Please let us know if you come across any more information on that. Thanks!
  •  

Briezy

It's funny. I must have come across his name before as I had already been to his website so he must have showed up on some list of potential surgeons. I also remember his site containing no info about GRS. I thought I may have emailed his office asking what they performed but can't find that email now. I'm suspect right away if he does do GRS but doesn't advertise it in any way, almost like it's a dirty secret. If I remember my question was about orchiectomies. I didn't think he did GRS but I will email them again if I can't find my original.

•  

Laura_7

Quote from: michelle666 on March 28, 2016, 03:13:32 PM
It seems that they are now performing GRS at BMC in Boston, MA. Dr. Robert Oates is one of the surgeons performing it. Has anyone seen his results? I've spoken with them and they kind of avoid the topic when I asked about seeing recent results. I've searched google several times and cant find anything on him for GRS.

Their website www.bmc.org says in his profile

Male reproductive medicine and surgery

another website for ts surgeries lists him as
MTF orchiectomy with 33 ratings.

Its possible they expand services.

*hugs*
  •  

michelle666

From what my therapist told me, Oates and one other surgeon went somewhere and trained for six months on GRS. I find it odd that they aren't showing results or anything like that. They haven't actually performed GRS yet at BMC. It seems that they're waiting for MassHealth to start approving people.
  •  

Briezy

Quote from: Laura_7 on March 29, 2016, 03:52:48 PM
another website for ts surgeries lists him as MTF orchiectomy with 33 ratings.

If I did contact them, this was the reason for the inquiry. Knew his name popped up somewhere, but haven't been able to find the grs info.

•  

michelle666

I just got a call from BMC about the GRS there. They said that they could probably book me for this fall but they weren't sure when they were starting. When I originally talked to them I asked to see pics of the results. I told her that I never received them and she said "That's because they haven't done any GRS yet, you would be one of the first at BMC"
Ummmmm...... No! I'm definitely sticking with Bowers now. I have one shot at this and I don't want to put it in the hands of someone who's never actually done it.
  •  

TinaVane

I just got off the phone with Oates office he has not started yet but he will when he finish the perfection (i reckon ) and they took my number down and added me to some waiting list for the future
C'est Si Bon
  •  

Briezy

Well, I still don't know about SRS but I had a bilateral orchiectomy with Dr. Oates Friday. Everything is healing nicely and mentally and emotional I feel great. Dr. Oates himself was super down to earth and really, really nice. Like genuinely. He didn't seem like he was trying hard to be politically correct or faking his concern for the trans community in general. Like, he's just a regular dude which I actually appreciated. He wasn't an egomaniac surgeon nor was he this fake, "ok sweetie...we are going to take care of you." He was just himself which really was confident and reassuring.

On another note too the entire thing was so easy. Now I had all my references and stuff ready to go for the most part, but it was on quick consult, he told me where to fax my letters and then who to call for surgery and it was schedule two weeks later. That was really nice.

And he did mention that he always keeps in mind of the possibility of full srs in the future and his surgery preserves as much skin as possible while still looking pretty if I choose to never have the surgery.

Anyway, I would still love to see the SRS results, but for the orchiectomy he gets two thumbs up or five stars or 10 out of 10. Whatever rating system you like.

•  

roberta.d

Quote from: TinaVane on May 06, 2016, 01:09:03 PM
I just got off the phone with Oates office he has not started yet but he will when he finish the perfection (i reckon ) and they took my number down and added me to some waiting list for the future
Greetings everyone . I'm new here. I've been receiving all care at BMC , I figured it was a " one stop_shop"
Had consultation with Dr. Oates 5/17   He started GCS 6/16 . HRT since 2/17 . I lightened the mood by joking about
his first surgery . No pictures yet , I'm certain everyone's dying to see .
huggz
Roberta
  •  

roberta.d

Quote from: Briezy on March 28, 2016, 04:52:51 PM
Hello Friends
a lady named Supraja is the GRS liason at BMC . She's extremely helpful and knowledgeable . there was supposedly a support group starting 2/17 but hasn't yet come to fruition . My shrink and my primary care at BMC is top notch , I didn't even need the endo. , dr Safer , for hrt . My hrt started 2/17 , hopefully surgery is around St Pats day , '18
  •  

Jacqueline

roberta,

Hi. Welcome to the site.

Thanks for jumping in and sharing you experiences and joining us. I hope we can support you too.

I also want to share some links with you. They are mostly welcome information and the rules that govern the site. If you have not had a chance to look through them, please take a moment:

Things that you should read

Once again, welcome to Susan's. Look around, ask questions and join in.

With warmth,

Joanna
1st Therapy: February 2015
First Endo visit & HRT StartJanuary 29, 2016
Jacqueline from Joanna July 18, 2017
Full Time June 1, 2018

•  

CurlyWild

Im curious if you kept your appoinment wih Dr bowers? And if anyone has anymore information on Dr. Oates?
  •  

Devlyn

Welcome, CurlyWild! I'll be in Dr Oates office in nine days for an orchiectomy consultation. I can update then.

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Jacqueline

Quote from: CurlyWild on July 11, 2017, 07:05:40 PM
Im curious if you kept your appoinment wih Dr bowers? And if anyone has anymore information on Dr. Oates?

Hi CurlyWild,

Welcome to the site. I Corrected a little mistake in spelling.

thanks for asking the question, I was curious as well.

I also want to share some links with you. They are mostly welcome information and the rules that govern the site. If you have not had a chance to look through them, please take a moment:

Things that you should read

Once again, welcome to Susan's. Look around, ask questions and join in.

With warmth,

Joanna
1st Therapy: February 2015
First Endo visit & HRT StartJanuary 29, 2016
Jacqueline from Joanna July 18, 2017
Full Time June 1, 2018

•  

scrumptioussoda

Hello, I am in the Boston area and meeting wtih Dr. Oates soon as my T levels after 5 years of hormones are too high and I would like an orchi.

Briezy and/or Devlyn, do you happen to know how much you paid/what Dr. Oates estimated the cost of your orchi to be?

Thank you!
  •