Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Pope: It's 'terrible' kids taught they can choose gender

Started by Mariah, August 02, 2016, 08:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mariah

Pope: It's 'terrible' kids taught they can choose gender
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2016/08/02/pope-francis-children-gender/87956794/
AP 4:31 p.m. EDT August 2, 2016
VATICAN CITY (AP) — Pope Francis has lamented that children are being taught at school that gender can be a choice, adding that his predecessor, Benedict XVI has labeled current times "the epoch of sin against God the Creator."

Francis weighed in with his view on gender and what he said was that of the emeritus pontiff while meeting privately last week with bishops from Poland during his pilgrimage there. The Vatican released a transcript Tuesday of those closed-door remarks.

----------------------------
Wow just wow.
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.
[email]mariah@susans.org[/email]
I am also spouse of a transgender person.
Retired News Administrator
Retired (S) Global Moderator
  •  

Heather14

I have known all my life that I was the wrong gender. I was never taught that I could chose my gender but I wanted to change my gender. The pope may not have a clue how it feels to know your whole life you were the wrong gender. Was being born male a mistake...in my heart yes. And being born male I could do nothing about that. But to me being female does not just mean being born that gender. I wanted to live as a girl would. I wanted the long hair, pretty clothes, makeup and other things that I found to be beautiful and feminine. Why can't I wear a dress to work, why can't I wear stockings, panties and makeup without being told I was sick to do so. Why can't I take hormones to grow my breasts if I want to. All my life I am most comfortable being the female gender not being a guy. The Pope has no clue the pain this causes. I believe the young should know you can chose.

Heather
  •  

Deborah

That should clear up all the misconceptions about where the Catholic Church stands on all of this.
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

Dena

Let's see, how long did it take to get that little thing with Galileo worked out?
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

EmilyMK03

As a transgender woman, I didn't "choose" to be female.  It's the way I was born - a female mind in a male body.  As transgender people, we do not "choose" our gender.

For the Pope to make such a statement just shows how ignorant he is on the issue.  Maybe he should do some research before making such statements.  He seems to be a good and compassionate man, from all accounts, but that doesn't excuse him from being ignorant.
  •  

Deborah

The Vatican turned to Dr. Paul McHugh as an advisor on sexual matters in framing its position on transsexuals.  They have done their research.  This is not ignorance.  It is selective science.
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

arice

Quote from: EmilyMK03 on August 02, 2016, 09:24:05 PM
As a transgender woman, I didn't "choose" to be female.  It's the way I was born - a female mind in a male body.  As transgender people, we do not "choose" our gender.

For the Pope to make such a statement just shows how ignorant he is on the issue.  Maybe he should do some research before making such statements.  He seems to be a good and compassionate man, from all accounts, but that doesn't excuse him from being ignorant.
I agree with this. I did not choose my gender. My only choice has to do with what I do about the fact that my gender doesn't match the sex I was assigned. As a teenager, I chose to pretend to be a straight woman because it was easier than dealing with the consequences of being a gay transman... but that choice is no longer teneble... so I am choosing to be myself.
My gender hasn't changed nor did I choose it.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

•  

EmilyMK03

Quote from: Deborah on August 02, 2016, 09:51:18 PM
The Vatican turned to Dr. Paul McHugh as an advisor on sexual matters in framing its position on transsexuals.  They have done their research.  This is not ignorance.  It is selective science.

Ugh.  That's even worse.   >:(
  •  

popa910

Nooooooooo, Pope Francis has been doing so well at being accepting and loving of people, especially those whom the Catholic church tends to ostracize.  This is disappointing.
  •  

Amanda_Combs

I just want to hurry and get to the day when trans* people  are better understood.  Because I really do believe that it is a terrible thing that children are taught that they can choose their gender.  But, not the way he means it.  If I'm born in a male body and feel like a woman; then there's just nothing I can do about that.  And trying to tell kids that they need to try to act like "boys" or girls" is messed up, and is probably the biggest source of discomfort/suffering that we have.  I don't know why so many people have to have opinions about things they clearly don't understand.
Higher, faster, further, more
  •  

big kim

It's terrible the way an old man in a white frock who lives in luxury talks out of his fat ass while covering up for his kiddy fiddling pals. Wind your neck in popey
  •  

Asche

Quote from: Deborah on August 02, 2016, 09:51:18 PM

No, there's no science here at all.  The fact that they turned to a well-known homophobe and transphobe (and I-don't-know-what-else-phobe) for advice says it all.  They wanted someone with the title "Doctor" to put their prejudices into pseudo-scientific language, and McHugh was evidently more than happy to oblige.

This is simply bigotry (and lies) dressed up in a cheap "scientificy"-looking Hallowe'en costume.
"...  I think I'm great just the way I am, and so are you." -- Jazz Jennings

CPTSD
  •  

Deborah

McHugh also advised the Vatican on their child molestation problem.  He is the one that convinced them that it wasn't a problem of pedophilia.  Rather it was a problem caused by allowing homosexuals to be priests.  So now, they are banned.

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

Asche

Quote from: popa910 on August 04, 2016, 09:12:59 PM
Nooooooooo, Pope Francis has been doing so well at being accepting and loving of people, especially those whom the Catholic church tends to ostracize.

This is news to me.  I've heard a lot of content-free talk of "love" and "forgiveness", but I haven't seen any change in policies or substance for that matter.  He and the Vatican still insist that we're sinners for being who we are and his acceptance is contingent upon us stopping being who we are.  It's just that they've learned that threats of Hell don't go over so well these days.
"...  I think I'm great just the way I am, and so are you." -- Jazz Jennings

CPTSD
  •  

Paige

You know with the Catholic Church's horrendous record of hiding and allowing pedophiles to prey on children, you would think the Pope would be a little more humble in his hate speak.  It's unbelievable that people look to this organization for moral authority.

Paige :)
  •  

RobynD

It's unfortunate that such a progressive leader has taken this misinformed stance. However i have a lot of hope for the church, it is changing.

I attend mass at a local Catholic church periodically and have never felt anything but welcome there. I think their local leadership is often more progressive then the ones above them.

•  

Deborah

The Pope is the head of the Catholic Church so I don't know why it surprises anyone that he says what the Catholic Church believes.  And he really isn't progressive.  He's just polite most of the time.

Having said all that, the Catholic Church is not a Bible only institution and is open to scientific ideas even if they are sometimes slow to acknowledge them.  So it's not unthinkable that they might change their stance on trans issues.  I do not think the same can be said for gay and lesbian issues though although I could be wrong on that.

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

Eevee

And this is why I never forget that the pope is still the pope. He may not be as bad as the last pope, but I still have no reason to trust him. No surprises here, people.

Eevee

Because its genetic makeup is irregular, it quickly changes its form due to a variety of causes.

•  

HappyMoni

Is this the same guy who said, "Who am I to judge?"
   I don't want to offend anyone who has a relationship/connection to the church, but why would anyone listen to a bunch of folks who theoretically never have sex (at least with a partner.) How are they expert in gender/sex/relationship issues?
   My last point is, to me, undeniable. If this Pope is so loving, so caring, his approach should be one of bringing up the subject of how awful trans people are treated, how many are murdered, how many are so distressed that they can no longer bare to live. Then talk about how you have ideas to help them. Maybe his type of help is not what is really needed, but it would at least show some compassion.
   This Pope is better than the ones in the past to be fair. Unfortunately, he is unenlightened and prejudiced in certain areas.
Moni
If I ever offend you, let me know. It's not what I am about.
"Never let the dark kill your light!"  (SailorMars)

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •  

Joelene9

It is the same pope who said "Who am I to judge?" However, Dr. McHugh poisoned this Pope as he poisoned me, my shrink and others affected in the 1970's when his flawed findings came out! I am still reeling from the damage done by delaying the treatment by professionals because of this man. Why is this guy keeps vomiting up somewhere where important policy makers are involved?

Joelene
  •