Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

An update on me...

Started by Michelle_P, October 15, 2016, 09:19:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steph2.0

Quote from: Michelle_P on March 23, 2018, 02:55:07 AM
Well, I eventually got caught in an SFPD sweep and turned over to my parents. They got me 'help', what's now called conversion therapy.   It scared me into hiding, afraid to come out out of fear someone might 'help' me again

That's horrible. I'm so sorry you had to endure that. It was the fear of the "therapy" my father would visit on me that kept my activities firmly in the basement when nobody was home.

I also hope that youth now are more free to express their true selves and get real help.

Imagine what kind of world we'd see if every kid had a happy childhood.

Stephanie

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

Cassi

Quote from: Steph2.0 on March 23, 2018, 06:29:47 AM
That's horrible. I'm so sorry you had to endure that. It was the fear of the "therapy" my father would visit on me that kept my activities firmly in the basement when nobody was home.

I also hope that youth now are more free to express their true selves and get real help.

Imagine what kind of world we'd see if every kid had a happy childhood.

Stephanie

Wow, that's terrible, referring to Michelle's past.  Things and laws have changed since then which is a good thing but doesn't make it any easier for those who had to endure it.
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Anne Blake

This thread is getting into some very pertinent topics surrounding the cost that so many of our brothers and sisters had to pay in times past. Things that speak of the realness of who we are inside and of that reality that can not be set aside, even with the abuses brought on by the "wisdom" in place during that era.

But....not to diminish this significant topic in the least, Michelle also spoke of something that rang my chimes in a big way, that being, the band Hot Tuna. Jorma Kaukonen is perhaps one of the greatest unknown musicians out. The amazing stuff he did with his side gig of Hot Tuna is unique in every sense (I have them spinning on my system now). While so many of us can relate to Jefferson Airplane we never think of Jorma's great licks. And Tuna is starting a tour this month, sadly not in anyplace close enough for me to get to.

Sorry for borrowing your thread but you brought up some good memories for me, you can have it back now.

Tia Anne
  •  

Jessica

Quote from: Anne Blake on March 23, 2018, 01:52:06 PM
This thread is getting into some very pertinent topics surrounding the cost that so many of our brothers and sisters had to pay in times past. Things that speak of the realness of who we are inside and of that reality that can not be set aside, even with the abuses brought on by the "wisdom" in place during that era.

But....not to diminish this significant topic in the least, Michelle also spoke of something that rang my chimes in a big way, that being, the band Hot Tuna. Jorma Kaukonen is perhaps one of the greatest unknown musicians out. The amazing stuff he did with his side gig of Hot Tuna is unique in every sense (I have them spinning on my system now). While so many of us can relate to Jefferson Airplane we never think of Jorma's great licks. And Tuna is starting a tour this month, sadly not in anyplace close enough for me to get to.

Sorry for borrowing your thread but you brought up some good memories for me, you can have it back now.

Tia Anne

Hot Tuna and The Sons of Champlin played at my high school in the 70's

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

Michelle_P

Quote from: Cassi on March 23, 2018, 11:56:47 AM
Wow, that's terrible, referring to Michelle's past.  Things and laws have changed since then which is a good thing but doesn't make it any easier for those who had to endure it.

I know it sounds nasty, but changing the behavior and mind to match the body was thought to be possible and practical back then, and such treatments were the Standard of Care.  My parents and the doctors proceeded with the best of intentions.  Of course, intent does not determine impact.

This happened right about when the endocrinologist Dr. Harry Benjamin was doing his pioneering work.  San Francisco Public Health was just opening it's "Center for Solving Special Social and Health Problems", later "Fort Help", which would provide hormone treatment following the Benjamin protocols.  Things were starting to change, but I, my parents, abd doctors didn't know that.

With treatment, I repressed my nature for over a decade, long enough to be married and have two of my three children.  The dysphoria started to erode the treatment effect and show itself by the time I was in my 30s, and when I met a transgender woman while interviewing candidates for a job I recognized what I really was.  I kept it repressed out of fear, for myself, and my family, and had hoped I could take this secret to the grave with me.

I nearly did.  I'm doing much better now.
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

Cassi

Quote from: Michelle_P on March 24, 2018, 01:36:02 PM
I know it sounds nasty, but changing the behavior and mind to match the body was thought to be possible and practical back then, and such treatments were the Standard of Care.  My parents and the doctors proceeded with the best of intentions.  Of course, intent does not determine impact.

This happened right about when the endocrinologist Dr. Harry Benjamin was doing his pioneering work.  San Francisco Public Health was just opening it's "Center for Solving Special Social and Health Problems", later "Fort Help", which would provide hormone treatment following the Benjamin protocols.  Things were starting to change, but I, my parents, abd doctors didn't know that.

With treatment, I repressed my nature for over a decade, long enough to be married and have two of my three children.  The dysphoria started to erode the treatment effect and show itself by the time I was in my 30s, and when I met a transgender woman while interviewing candidates for a job I recognized what I really was.  I kept it repressed out of fear, for myself, and my family, and had hoped I could take this secret to the grave with me.

I nearly did.  I'm doing much better now.

I am glad that you were able to deal with it and also for your recent turn of event(s) :)
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Kendra

Michelle you are proof of the fact transgender individuals are absolutely some of the strongest people.  And compassionate and understanding.  Society is gradually starting to catch up, sort of. 
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: Kendra on March 24, 2018, 03:36:50 PM
Michelle you are proof of the fact transgender individuals are absolutely some of the strongest people.  And compassionate and understanding.  Society is gradually starting to catch up, sort of.

@ Kendra:  You are very correct about transgender individuals being some of the strongest people....

In order to make the decision to proceed with HRT and transitioning and eventually going full-time, it takes gutsy determination, a great amount of willpower and personal resolve to give up much of your past life (in the wrong gender) and to proceed full speed ahead... risking family relationships, close friendships, career and job,etc.... not to mention spending some serious money and experiencing sometimes uncomfortable and unfamiliar physical and mental adjustments and so on.   ..... and the patience to continue on in spite of all of this.
Danielle
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures

Started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old & Single
Email: northernstargirl@susans.org
  •  

HappyMoni

Wow Michelle, this looking after your girlfriend stuff is tiring. I hope you appreciate it. I'm hoping I can get off my fridge when she leaves. 3 days on a fridge makes you a little stiff. Well, not exactly stiff!  I hope she brings you with her next time. Would be nice to meet you. We are headed out to eat soon with some of my friends. Girls night out, bring on the cheese cake.
Moni
My friend just called me  a Jedi Master...er...mistress...er light saber carrying badass. Could be an interesting night. Or a nerdy one. I'll keep a lid on the wild one.  :P
If I ever offend you, let me know. It's not what I am about.
"Never let the dark kill your light!"  (SailorMars)

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •  

Jessica

Quote from: Michelle_P on March 15, 2018, 09:12:59 AM
I feel so special!

My Unitarian Universalist Church is doing a ceremony on March 25, part of the runup to the Transgender Day of Visibility, to recognize the chosen names and correct pronouns of members who are transitioning.  Both adults and youth will be participating.  This will be my first service as a Worship Associate, running about getting all the details right, calling to worship, and speaking from the chancel.

Outside, on the street, we will be recognized by the Westboro Baptist Church, a hate-based religious group composed of the late Fred Phelp's family.  It's nice that our efforts and community support are being more widely seen and recognized.  What a way to start my service activity!

Expect a flight of 'angels' to shelter all under their wings...

https://www.uuworld.org/articles/uuaga16-westboro-counterprotest

Good luck tomorrow Michelle!  I know you'll do fine.
I'm watching my grandson this weekend, so I won't be able to make it.

Hugs, Jessica

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

Michelle_P

Quote from: Jessica on March 24, 2018, 08:39:38 PM
Good luck tomorrow Michelle!  I know you'll do fine.
I'm watching my grandson this weekend, so I won't be able to make it.

Hugs, Jessica

The event went very well. For the Unitarian Universalist congregation!

It was wonderful to see a community draw together with a common goal. Peaceful singing, and lining the street to show their solidarity in the face of four representatives of a small hate group, with no confrontations or issues!

Local TV coverage was tweeted by the station:
https://mobile.twitter.com/arasmusKTVU

Their print coverage:
http://www.ktvu.com/news/hate-group-targeting-lgbtq-shows-up-to-walnut-creek-church-members-sing-songs-in-solidarity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
  •  

Jessica

Quote from: Michelle_P on March 25, 2018, 06:52:49 PM
The event went very well. For the Unitarian Universalist congregation!

It was wonderful to see a community draw together with a common goal. Peaceful singing, and lining the street to show their solidarity in the face of four representatives of a small hate group, with no confrontations or issues!

Local TV coverage was tweeted by the station:
https://mobile.twitter.com/arasmusKTVU

Their print coverage:
http://www.ktvu.com/news/hate-group-targeting-lgbtq-shows-up-to-walnut-creek-church-members-sing-songs-in-solidarity

I'm so happy everything went so well today! 
We are lucky to be living in such a progressive area as the SF bay.

•  

Michelle_P

I also did my first turn as Worship Associate today.  With a whole 4 hours of sleep after the dinner and dance party last night.  Oof.

The dinner and dance thing went very well.  Dinner was vegetarian, and most of what I made was both vegan and gluten-free.  A friend made a vegetarian version of her famous minestrone, three big stock pots full!  I made the salad and dressings, a few types of cornbread in individual sized pieces, vegan gluten-free sweet potato casserole (a huge hit!), vegan gluten free chocolate chip cookies, and vegan gluten-free apple crisp.  I fed 65 people, and I don't think anyone left hungry.

I even got some dancing in!  The friend that made the soup took over on the dishwashing line, and sent me out to dance.  Interesting crowd.  65 people, 2 men (a gay couple), and the rest women, some straight!  (My kind of crowd, right @Laurie ?    Just teasing!)

I was up early for the Worship Associate (WA) thing, as besides doing a few minutes in the pulpit, the WA does a bunch of gophering and technical setup before and between services.  I wrote and had rehearsed pieces tying faithfulness to authenticity, and the hostile world compared to our sanctuary, our refuge for each other.  Those went very well during the service.  The technical stuff I got through only because of a very complete checklist a senior WA had written.

Me in the Green Room:

The folks at MDUUC were amazingly supportive, and our ministers were very gracious in support (and covering for me...).   I was quite nervous, not about the speaking, but the technical details involved, cues and timing in particular.  I'll get better quickly, but the 'first time' nerves are still a thing at my age!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

•  

Laurie

Quote from: Michelle_P on March 25, 2018, 11:15:02 PM
I also did my first turn as Worship Associate today.  With a whole 4 hours of sleep after the dinner and dance party last night.  Oof.

The dinner and dance thing went very well.  Dinner was vegetarian, and most of what I made was both vegan and gluten-free.  A friend made a vegetarian version of her famous minestrone, three big stock pots full!  I made the salad and dressings, a few types of cornbread in individual sized pieces, vegan gluten-free sweet potato casserole (a huge hit!), vegan gluten free chocolate chip cookies, and vegan gluten-free apple crisp.  I fed 65 people, and I don't think anyone left hungry.

I even got some dancing in!  The friend that made the soup took over on the dishwashing line, and sent me out to dance.  Interesting crowd.  65 people, 2 men (a gay couple), and the rest women, some straight!  (My kind of crowd, right @Laurie ?    Just teasing!)

I was up early for the Worship Associate (WA) thing, as besides doing a few minutes in the pulpit, the WA does a bunch of gophering and technical setup before and between services.  I wrote and had rehearsed pieces tying faithfulness to authenticity, and the hostile world compared to our sanctuary, our refuge for each other.  Those went very well during the service.  The technical stuff I got through only because of a very complete checklist a senior WA had written.

Me in the Green Room:

The folks at MDUUC were amazingly supportive, and our ministers were very gracious in support (and covering for me...).   I was quite nervous, not about the speaking, but the technical details involved, cues and timing in particular.  I'll get better quickly, but the 'first time' nerves are still a thing at my age!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I knew you would get through it Michelle. And you looked good for your WA debut.

Hugs,
   Laurie

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

Michelle_P

Quote from: Laurie on March 26, 2018, 12:46:39 AM
I knew you would get through it Michelle. And you looked good for your WA debut.

Hugs,
   Laurie

Thanks, Laurie. I knew i would get through it, but those damn first time nerves!  I worried about making mistakes, or the nerves even causing me to goof or forget something.

I made it through.  Nobody noticed any glitches. Declare victory and move on!

•  

Michelle_P

I just finished my weekly two hours of electrolysis and wow, are things smooth.  My electrolyst was doing a "fuzz hunt" today, after last weeks clearing. She'll be out for a month starting in a few weeks and it will be interesting to see what if anything grows in that time. It has been several weeks since I last shaved.

For the first time in ages my calendar is actually free the rest of the week. Of course, there are still things to do:

Write up minutes from two meetings
Prep for a lecture on gender issues
Prep for a lecture in small antenna construction
Print exams for a large amateur radio license class in early May

I'm going to schedule an official goofing off day, to go to a museum show and dinner in San Francisco.

•  

Megan.

Official goofing off days must be booked at least 6 months in advance, be authorised by your manager (Laurie) and must not impact project deadlines! X

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

•  

Jessica

Quote from: Michelle_P on March 26, 2018, 02:20:22 PM
I just finished my weekly two hours of electrolysis and wow, are things smooth.  My electrolyst was doing a "fuzz hunt" today, after last weeks clearing. She'll be out for a month starting in a few weeks and it will be interesting to see what if anything grows in that time. It has been several weeks since I last shaved.

For the first time in ages my calendar is actually free the rest of the week. Of course, there are still things to do:

Write up minutes from two meetings
Prep for a lecture on gender issues
Prep for a lecture in small antenna construction
Print exams for a large amateur radio license class in early May

I'm going to schedule an official goofing off day, to go to a museum show and dinner in San Francisco.

Have dessert first...just a few days left for the Museum of Ice Cream

https://www.museumoficecream.com/about/

•  

Cassi

Quote from: Jessica on March 26, 2018, 02:33:31 PM
Have dessert first...just a few days left for the Museum of Ice Cream

https://www.museumoficecream.com/about/

How amuseuming :)
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Michelle_P

I have my Facial Feminization Surgery (FFS) scheduled for August 28.

The surgeons office just called to schedule a phone appointment with the surgeon for late tomorrow. This should be interesting.

It's a bit early for a pre-op appointment, and I did the consult to determine needed work last year. I wonder if there is an earlier opening he wants to fill?

I'll know tomorrow, I suppose. 

•