Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

What is the emotional age of the trans community?

Started by Hazumu, November 13, 2007, 07:22:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

If the transgender community were a person, what is its emotional age?

Preschool/Kindergarten
1st thru 3rd grader
4th thru 6th grader
Junior high
Senior High
College (18 to 22)
Young adult (23-30)
Middle age (31-45)
Mature & senior (46 on)

Hazumu

This grew out of a talk with someone on how the trans community taken as a whole acts towards its members and to other groups.  This is not to point fingers at any individuals, but a broad look at the whole community and how it has compared to other whole communities.  I realize that some of those other communities have their own 'emotional age' personalities.

Perhaps the next question should be if the world were a park with a playground, where would the various groups be, and what would they be doing...

Karen
  •  

Pica Pica

I'd say a young hormonal teenager. I think it's the hormones.  :)
  •  

Laurry

Quote from: Pica Pica on November 13, 2007, 11:06:38 AM
I'd say a young hormonal teenager. I think it's the hormones.  :)

Funny, I was thinking Junior High, but couldn't put my finger on just why...Thanks!

.....Laurry
Ya put your right foot in.  You put your right foot out.  You put your right foot in and you shake it all about.  You do the Andro-gyney and you turn yourself around.  That's what it's all about.
  •  

RebeccaFog

I'm thinking college.  Not really mature, but somewhat.  Full of curiosity and with the smarts to make goals and to follow them.

•  

nickie

Well, this is just based on the 60 or 70 transsexual people I have met in my area, and I'd say Pre-school, and maybe some kindergarten. If I understand the question correctly I am basing my answer on how difficult it is to organize trans people and get things done, not their personal lives. Getting anybody organized around here is like trying to heard cats.
  •  

RebeccaFog

Quote from: nickie on November 17, 2007, 06:21:52 PM
Well, this is just based on the 60 or 70 transsexual people I have met in my area, and I'd say Pre-school, and maybe some kindergarten. If I understand the question correctly I am basing my answer on how difficult it is to organize trans people and get things done, not their personal lives. Getting anybody organized around here is like trying to heard cats.
good point
  •  

KarenLyn

IMHO the trans community behaves like a bunch of children. We are past kindergarten. We were more innocent then. Not long after that, we began noticing how some people are different from others and began forming group attachments. Those "misfits" who didn't end up in groups get picked on for not fitting in.
That's my memory of elementary school. And it's the same behavior I've seen in the "support groups" I've been involved in.
As individuals, most transgendered people tend to be intelligent and open-minded. As a group, we can be as narrow minded as those we believe are discriminating against us.
We have a long way to go.

Just my 2ยข worth.

Karen Lyn
  •