Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Do you cook breakfast? What are some of the dishes you prepare?

Started by JeanetteLW, April 13, 2017, 11:26:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julia1996

Quote from: TonyaW on February 02, 2018, 07:39:28 AM
I was always the more butter the better.  So maybe it is a guy thing.  I also hate when I get toast in a diner and can't tell which side they put the butter on.  It needs to be obvious. 

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Absolutely, there needs to be a lot of butter on toast. I think it is a guy thing. When my dad would pack my lunches for school he would put lots of peanut butter on the bread but would always only put a little bit of jelly in the middle. Lol it was basically a peanut butter sandwich.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: Cassi on February 02, 2018, 08:06:40 AM

LOL.  My daughter is a big choriso fan which we ran out of so I tell her I'll make her an omelette with mushrooms, olives and cheese.  I only had two eggs left and used a small pan.  And................

She ended up having scrambled eggs too :)

She's really into hard boiled eggs and wants pickled.  I boiled 3 dozen eggs with the intent of making pickled eggs but seems to me too much hassle.

That can happen if you try to fold the omelet too soon. Watch the edges, when they start to lift in the pan then gently fold it. You also need a good size pan and a wide egg turner helps too.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Cassi

Quote from: Julia1996 on February 02, 2018, 08:12:49 AM
That can happen if you try to fold the omelet too soon. Watch the edges, when they start to lift in the pan then gently fold it. You also need a good size pan and a wide egg turner helps too.

Thank you.
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Gertrude

Quote from: Julia1996 on February 01, 2018, 10:21:07 PM
I didn't cook breakfast this morning. This damn flu just keeps hanging on. My brother made me eggs and toast this morning. The eggs were eatable though I don't know what it is with guys and toast. Like my dad does, Tyler put like a tiny bit of butter in the middle of the toast. It's like guys are incapable of spreading something on the whole piece of toast. Lol
My wife accuses me of making toast blank. She just likes a little toast with her butter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  •  

Maddie86

Quote from: MollyPants on February 02, 2018, 12:40:14 AM
Wow! I wish mine came out that nice! They look amazing.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

thanks! It's not that hard, I packed the potato tight and poured oil into a cast iron skillet, not enough to cover the whole thing but a good amount, maybe like 1/8th of an inch. not healthy but it helps make a good crust!
  •  

ChrissyRyan

When I get in the mood for it, I make hash brown potatoes.

But I take the easy way out and use a box of dried potatoes that actually do
turn out pretty good hash browns when you follow the directions for cooking them.

I am sure they are not anywhere close to what Maddie makes.  But they are as good as many
I have had at breakfast restaurants.

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

MollyPants

Quote from: Maddie86 on February 02, 2018, 05:17:47 PM
thanks! It's not that hard, I packed the potato tight and poured oil into a cast iron skillet, not enough to cover the whole thing but a good amount, maybe like 1/8th of an inch. not healthy but it helps make a good crust!
I think I always go stingy on the oil and then a bit over on the heat. I suspect it's because I'm a little impatient waiting for food haha.

Today I'm making banana pancakes for breakfast with a little mixed spice for flavour.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

•  

TonyaW

Quote from: Gertrude on February 02, 2018, 02:27:11 PM
My wife accuses me of making toast blank. She just likes a little toast with her butter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
If you have a good bread for your toast, all it needs is butter. 

Medium toasted sourdough not quite saturated with butter.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

•  

Cassi

Well, I'm a bacon, eggs, toast/waffle/biscuit person but in order to work on my girlish figure I have decided to forego these during the weekdays having a morning salad instead.  However, I have started to treat myself to these items on the weekends thus today I had:

Eggs - overeasy, flaky buttermilk biscuits with pepper gravy (yum), and bacon!

PS:  I would have had hash browns but Maddie was no where to be found :(

HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Laurie

Hi folks,

I have still been cooking breakfast but haven't been posting them much for awhile. So today I though I would post this mornings breakfast. It wasn't anything particularly special but it was good.
  Today's offering consists of two fried eggs (what looks like a broken yolk is but from a third eggs that I had to clean up from the stove top), Slices of salted tomato, and a mix of Chorizo, spinach, sliced  mushrooms sauteed in butter and garlic, green onion, shredded Parmesan cheese and tomato.  Served with coffee.

Bon appétit,

Laurie

April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

ChrissyRyan

Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

Julia1996

Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Laurie

Thank you Chrissy and Julia. Presentation does help the taste.

•  

Cassi

Quote from: Laurie on February 03, 2018, 12:45:15 PM
  Hi folks,

I have still been cooking breakfast but haven't been posting them much for awhile. So today I though I would post this mornings breakfast. It wasn't anything particularly special but it was good.
  Today's offering consists of two fried eggs (what looks like a broken yolk is but from a third eggs that I had to clean up from the stove top), Slices of salted tomato, and a mix of Chorizo, spinach, sliced  mushrooms sauteed in butter and garlic, green onion, shredded Parmesan cheese and tomato.  Served with coffee.

Bon appétit,

Laurie

That looks pretty gosh darn good.  You're giving Julie, Ellie and Maddie a run for their money.

However, why would you want a bone app?
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Laurie

Quote from: Cassi on February 03, 2018, 02:34:31 PM
That looks pretty gosh darn good.  You're giving Julie, Ellie and Maddie a run for their money.

Hey Hun,

If you weren't late coming to that table you would know I started this thread and have posted lots of my breakfast dishes here. Breakfasts because it is the meal I cook for myself almost every day. My sister usually takes care of dinner for us but there are times when she'll turn to me and ask "What are you cooking us for supper?" Like she did yesterday and I made chicken fried rice.
  That said, I do agree that many folks here have very good cooking skills, even the younger ones.

•  

Cassi

Quote from: Laurie on February 03, 2018, 02:51:27 PM
Hey Hun,

If you weren't late coming to that table you would know I started this thread and have posted lots of my breakfast dishes here. Breakfasts because it is the meal I cook for myself almost every day. My sister usually takes care of dinner for us but there are times when she'll turn to me and ask "What are you cooking us for supper?" Like she did yesterday and I made chicken fried rice.
  That said, I do agree that many folks here have very good cooking skills, even the younger ones.

That's good.  But...... What's a bone app got to do with it???????????????
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: Laurie on February 03, 2018, 01:55:43 PM
Thank you Chrissy and Julia. Presentation does help the taste.

You're right. The appearance of food has a big effect with people. When my neighbor was teaching me to make southern fried chicken she said she always used some yellow food coloring to the oil. The chicken comes out a beaufuful yellow gold color. After that I started adding yellow food color to my tempura batter and to the water I boil pasta in. The pasta comes out really pretty. I once sent my brother to get a box of spaghetti and he called me from the pasta aisle and said he had looked at all the pasta and couldn't find the yellow spaghetti I always used. Lol
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: Laurie on February 03, 2018, 02:51:27 PM
Hey Hun,

I learned a lot from my grandma and the lady next door. I also like the old cookbooks. They have some really good recipes. A lot of the newer cookbooks don't have the old recipes because the author assumes people are too lazy to make them, which is true for a lot of people. I find it funny how people will make cookies from refrigerated cookie dough and call it baking. Lol. The first time I made a cheesecake my dad told me it seemed like a lot of work and asked why I didn't just make cheesecake the way he did when my brother and I were little. He did make us cheesecake but it was Jell-O cheesecake mix in a box. Lol. I just told him I wanted to try a different recipe. My dad is a million miles away from being Bobby Flay but I do appreciate that he cooked for us as best he could so I would never tell him his food wasn't very good.

Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Laurie

I learned from my Mom as my sisters did and by experimenting when I got older. I was a better cook than my wife was. I taught my daughter some of my cooking methods and was proud when she would call me to ask how to cook something when we reconnected. Then she became a good cook in her own right. I like to experiment a bit when I cook. If it is a new recipe I will follow the instruction to see how it is made. The subsequent times that I cook it, I use the recipe as a guide for all the import stuff and embellish it a little.  There are things that it is best not to ad-lib like baking cakes.

•  

ChrissyRyan

Quote from: Julia1996 on February 03, 2018, 03:10:16 PM
You're right. The appearance of food has a big effect with people. When my neighbor was teaching me to make southern fried chicken she said she always used some yellow food coloring to the oil. The chicken comes out a beaufuful yellow gold color. After that I started adding yellow food color to my tempura batter and to the water I boil pasta in. The pasta comes out really pretty. I once sent my brother to get a box of spaghetti and he called me from the pasta aisle and said he had looked at all the pasta and couldn't find the yellow spaghetti I always used. Lol

I have not had good results from twice trying to make tempura batter, despite using a box of Japanese tempura batter mix.  Maybe I will just need to try one more time.

The tempura battered shrimp from the frozen foods of a grocery does not receive a passing grade from me.  Those were not very tasty.   Too small sized shrimp were used also.

Tempura shrimp can be wonderful in Tempura soup and of course as a meal or appetizer of shrimp.   So yummy.   The batter is obviously a key part of this delicacy.  They do not need to be yellow necessarily, but that could be a pleasant addition to its presentation.

Chrissy
  •