Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

"Helping" hairs shed after laser

Started by SaintAlia, July 20, 2017, 12:57:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SaintAlia

So I'm getting tons of laser and electrolysis. After I get a laser session, the hairs start to "pop-out" as if they're growing far faster than normal. This is great, for the purpose of getting rid of them, but means that they're far harder to hide between shaves. I'm using a charcoal and sugar to exfoliate, but there's only so much that can do. Does anyone have any tips "encouraging" the hairs to come out and shed faster? Thanks!
~Alia

•  

Rachel_Christina

Well my way won't help tbh.
Since I'm not out, it's no worry for me to let em grow for the week after I have had laser, then I put a milk gelatin mask on and let it dry, then I will pull it off slow to pull em all out. It's really great.
And it's not super strong that it pulls out non dead hairs, this you must not do. I know it's tempting, but don't.
That's how I deal with em, had 7 sessions so far, and have very little left now.

•  

LizK

At the base of each hair follicle are cells responsible for the regrowth of a new hair. When you assist the hairs out after laser you can leave only once cell behind it is enough to have that hair regrow. Exfoliating is the safest way to remove dead hair. I plucked after my third and fourth laser treatment and the end result was just about everything I had "assisted out" grew back.

I stopped and left it to shed naturally which nearly drove me nuts because in many cases the hair would grow in weird ways and stick out at the wrong angle etc. The results have been far better since leaving it to do its own thing and letting it all fall out naturally. My Laser tech gave he a huge "lecture" about not plucking or "assisting" the shedding process as it just prolongs the number of required treatments.
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

chastitydomme

"My Laser tech gave he a huge "lecture" about not plucking or "assisting" the shedding process as it just prolongs the number of required treatments." Mine even threated to turn the, "Juice" up if I even mentioned it again.
  •  

LizK

Quote from: chastitydomme on July 20, 2017, 07:24:32 PM
"My Laser tech gave he a huge "lecture" about not plucking or "assisting" the shedding process as it just prolongs the number of required treatments."
Mine even threated to turn the, "Juice" up if I even mentioned it again.

OUCH!! I bet you behaved  ;D
HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

chastitydomme

I try to behave, but I do have a naughty streak;-)
  •  

Colleen_definitely

Quote from: ElizabethK on July 20, 2017, 06:22:32 PM
At the base of each hair follicle are cells responsible for the regrowth of a new hair. When you assist the hairs out after laser you can leave only once cell behind it is enough to have that hair regrow.

I keep hearing this but I'm having trouble with it.  Since laser hair removal works by dumping enough energy into the follicle to kill it with heat, how could a cell be left behind that wouldn't be left there anyway?  Or am I missing something here?
As our ashes turn to dust, we shine like stars...
  •  

maybeventually

I plan my appointments on Thursday so that I can hid inside over the weekend. Then Sunday night I see if there are any that are loose enough to come out. Some (few can come out just with my fingers), if there is no effort to remove them with tweezers, I do so.
As long as there is no root left on the hair that means they were zapped right? I know for sure the ones that look crinkled and burnt on the end were zapped!
  •  

LizK

Quote from: maybeventually on July 30, 2017, 05:45:15 PM

As long as there is no root left on the hair that means they were zapped right? I know for sure the ones that look crinkled and burnt on the end were zapped!

Unfortunately all it means is either the hair is dead or you just broke it off and the base is still sitting under the skin (most likely). A quick google search will show you that "plucking or assisting" the hairs out after laser is not recommended and causes regrowth. All professional laser places tell you not too pluck or assist.

I have done it and it caused regrowth...I was assisting them out for a couple of laser sessions and they just slid out really easily...and it came back lots of it came back and then I stopped assisting and it stopped coming back in the quantity it was.

The recommendation is exfoliate and let the hairs come out naturally...do not pull them out because if you leave the important part behind and we are talking about a microscopic amount the hair, it can and will grow back. Beard hair is particularly tenacious. Until they fall out they are not dead is the rule of thumb I now use, I have finished with laser now and it removed about 90% of all my black beard hair.

Good luck
HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

Another Nikki

Is shaving a no-no a day or two after laser?
"What you know, you can't explain, but you feel it. You've felt it your entire lifeā€”that there is something wrong. You don't know what it is, but it's there like a splinter in your mind, driving you mad. It is this feeling that has brought you to me."
  •  

Colleen_definitely

It's OK to shave the next day, but your skin might be a bit irritated still.  Just be gentle.
As our ashes turn to dust, we shine like stars...
  •