News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

The Stephanie Chronicles

Started by steph2.0, September 17, 2017, 11:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Megan.

Quote from: Steph2.0 on October 14, 2017, 11:06:06 AM
Thank you Megan. Response has been 100% positive so far!

Steph
You obviously have good and wise friends[emoji5]

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

•  

Kendra

Steph, sorry I didn't read your entire post from October 10 until today. 

What you wrote is amazing - I have never seen this summarized so well.  Added to my bookmarks, the Cliffs Notes (Stephs Notes) of transitioning and coming out. 

I also like that while you are so kind and welcoming with your message to the larger audience on Facebook (note I didn't say broader) you also make it clear you won't have time for those who reject your decision to live as the person you actually are.

Quote from: Steph2.0 on October 14, 2017, 11:06:05 AM
>
"Don't be afraid to shed the weight of those who don't support you. As in aviation, you must add lightness to fly."

That was written by someone I've known my whole life, and you're just meeting: Ms. Stephanie Rhapsody XXX.

What you said here is on my short list of things to remember and live by.  I was doing that, but never had a great way to explain it until you did.

Thank you for your incredible writing.  Wow.
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: Kendra on October 15, 2017, 09:49:17 PMThank you for your incredible writing.  Wow.

Thank you so much for the kind words, Kendra. I was feeling a little down about my post because so few people said anything about it. I was hoping it would be helpful for someone out there, and until you read it, it looked like only Laurie and Megan would ever see it.

I just wish I could think of a way to get more people to take a look at it. Do you have any suggestions? Maybe post a link under the "What made you happy today" thread? I don't want to get in people's faces, but no writing effort is any good if nobody reads it. And after all I've taken from Susan's, I really want to give something back.

Steph

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

Megan.

Quote from: Steph2.0 on October 16, 2017, 12:07:59 AM
Thank you so much for the kind words, Kendra. I was feeling a little down about my post because so few people said anything about it. I was hoping it would be helpful for someone out there, and until you read it, it looked like only Laurie and Megan would ever see it.

I just wish I could think of a way to get more people to take a look at it. Do you have any suggestions? Maybe post a link under the "What made you happy today" thread? I don't want to get in people's faces, but no writing effort is any good if nobody reads it. And after all I've taken from Susan's, I really want to give something back.

Steph
A link sounds like a good idea if you want more eyes on it,  but the lack of noise may well be because it's genuinely so good,  there is nothing more to say! It's also a personal statement that's best comming in your words not others. X

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

•  

steph2.0

Quote from: meganjames2 on October 16, 2017, 01:16:15 AM
A link sounds like a good idea if you want more eyes on it,  but the lack of noise may well be because it's genuinely so good,  there is nothing more to say! It's also a personal statement that's best comming in your words not others.

Thanks, Megan. There is a lot of personal stuff in it, but I figured a lot of it could be usable by other folks for ideas at least.

And, though I'm embarrassed to admit it, there's probably also some vanity involved. I'm not qualified to say whether it qualifies as "art" - I'm obviously biased, and the concept is subjective anyway, but I was pretty proud of how it turned out after writing and revising it for three days. Even the most selfless altruist (which I certainly am not) likes to see their work appreciated, and if it can help other people at the same time, that just makes it even better.

Huh... rambling on a Monday morning before the coffee kicks in. Hope it makes sense...

Steph

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

Charlotte F

Quote from: Steph2.0 on October 16, 2017, 12:07:59 AM

Hi Steph, thanks for sharing your Facebook experience - it's very well written and obviously from the heart.  I personally find posts like yours so helpful as I'm not that far behind you in transition.  Aspects of the social side of transitioning like this worry me a fair bit and sharing the experiences of others really helps lessen those fears

Charlotte x
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: Charlotte F on October 16, 2017, 04:51:44 PM
Hi Steph, thanks for sharing your Facebook experience - it's very well written and obviously from the heart.  I personally find posts like yours so helpful as I'm not that far behind you in transition.  Aspects of the social side of transitioning like this worry me a fair bit and sharing the experiences of others really helps lessen those fears

Hi Charlotte,

I'm so glad you found it helpful. If I'm a little in front of you, I'm a little behind someone else. While we all start from different backgrounds, we all end up following similar paths. Just knowing it can be done helped me build my courage, and I'm just passing it down the line.

Good luck!

Steph

•  

KathyLauren

Hi, Steph.  I just got caught up and read your FB post.  That was very well written.  Yes, it was a bit of a wall of text, but I read every word.

I am delighted that you have had positive responses.

Congratulations on being out to the world!
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Anne Blake

Hi Steph,

I want to apologize for not commenting on your post. It was well written and well stated. I appreciated your clear truths and valid boundaries. I guess that I did not comment on it for a couple of reasons; first, it just said everything that needed to be said in a very caring and clear manner, no comment could have added to it. Second, I have just been feeling a bit distant from Susan's lately and lost in myself...my weakness should not distract from the neat progress you have been making in your journey. I do have to give you kudos for taking ownership of your transition and celebrating each step. Thank you for sharing the magic of your experiences.

Tia Anne
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: KathyLauren on October 17, 2017, 02:03:58 PM
Hi, Steph.  I just got caught up and read your FB post.  That was very well written.  Yes, it was a bit of a wall of text, but I read every word.

I am delighted that you have had positive responses.

Congratulations on being out to the world!

Thank you Kathy. I'm gratified to see others are reading and enjoying my diatribe. Just being done with it, being out to everyone, regardless of whether the responses are positive or negative, takes such a load off. Hiding the truth puts a strain on the psyche that you don't even realize until it's gone. And it's such a bonus that everyone is so cool about it!

Steph

•  

steph2.0

Quote from: Anne Blake on October 17, 2017, 05:50:02 PMI want to apologize for not commenting on your post.

No apology necessary, Tia Anne! It was a bit narcissistic of me to insist on reports from anyone who read it. I think I've been bathing too much in all the attention I'm getting over on Facebook, and forgot that other people are living their lives, too, with other priorities.

Thanks for the kind comments, though. I hope the post-op blues, if that's what they are, will soon be far behind you. The holy grail that is still so far away for me is now in your possession. I celebrate for you!

Steph

•  

steph2.0

Can I ask a favor of you all who are following this thread? I posted a question under the "Real-Life Experience" sub-topic and could really use some feedback. To avoid cross-posting, here's a link to it:

https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,229599.msg2038990.html#msg2038990

Any advice is muchly appreciated!

Steph

•  

steph2.0

Another awesome day. Our next-door neighbor went along as I did something I've waited 50 years for: getting my ears pierced. Not a big deal for most people, but for me it's yet another milestone passed on my journey. To show her support my wife got hers pierced, too, after avoiding it her whole life. It was, however, let's say "interesting" that we were required to show ID to do the paperwork for the piercing. Of course, my drivers license didn't match the way I was presenting. As recently as two weeks ago I would have turned tail and run, but today... eh, here ya go. Deal with it.

The most unfortunate part was after the initial greeting of "what can I do for you ladies," I was then misgendered for the rest of the session. Ah well, no point in raising the blood pressure. It's an occupational hazard. She was efficient and nice otherwise, and probably didn't even realize what she was doing.

After adding two more holes in my head, the three of us then went out to an early dinner at Olive Garden, and on to my neighbor's favorite stores where she helped me pick out some new clothes. In the car on the way home we had a great heart-to-heart conversation. She has gone through breast cancer, and we found a lot of parallels in our experiences. It is such a relief to talk openly about what I'm going through after all these years of keeping it buried, and having such a "girl-talk" was heart-warming.

I have given up trying to pick which one of my friends is my biggest supporter, since they all seem to be rotating in one at a time to do incredible things for me. So I've just decided that they're all wonderful, and will leave it at that.

Steph

•  

Laurie

Just a question Steph(anie).

Did you perchance let the ear piercing  person know you would like to be addressed as Stephanie? Would I would have said is yes that's me but I go by Laurie now. Or something to that effect.
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

steph2.0

Quote from: Laurie on October 18, 2017, 12:06:41 AM
Did you perchance let the ear piercing  person know you would like to be addressed as Stephanie? Would I would have said is yes that's me but I go by Laurie now. Or something to that effect.

One of the ways I describe myself is, "I can be very spontaneous if you give me time to think about it." You're right, that's what I should have done, but it caught me by surprise and it happened so fast (and only in one sentence) that I wasn't prepared with an answer. And, surprisingly even to myself, it didn't bother me much.

I'll do better next time!

Steph

•  

Laurie

Okay I was just curious, She may have changed her form of address if she had been given a clue regarding your preferences.  Just a thought.

April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

steph2.0

After all the positive feedback from coming out on Facebook, I've come to a sad realization. If I had known that I would have had all this support, I could have done this long ago, and cut a lot of pain out of my life. This is what happens when you let fear make your decisions for you.

If I can impart any lesson, it would be this: If there's something you want, or *need* to do, ask yourself honestly why you haven't done it. There are always practical, logical reasons to delay, but if it's fear holding you back... jump. It won't be that bad. I will try to follow that advice myself from now on.

The good news is, by ridding myself of the testosterone poisoning, I'm adding about 5 years to my lifespan. Even though I'm getting a late start, my wife and I still have a lot of living to do.

To quote Ashley again, Onward We Go! ® © ™  (The check's in the mail.)

Steph

•  

steph2.0

Quote from: Laurie on October 18, 2017, 12:21:30 AMOkay I was just curious, She may have changed her form of address if she had been given a clue regarding your preferences.  Just a thought.

Yeah, it was pretty obvious that I was at least trying to present female (and apparently successfully until she saw the driver's license), but yes, I should have forced the issue. I'm going back in four weeks to have the piercings checked, and I'll be ready then if there's any shenanigans.

And if there's any further trouble, I'll tell her that my friend Laurie is really good at hunting...

Steph

•  

steph2.0

More thoughts on coming out on Facebook:

I kind of pulled up short as I saw myself in the mirror last night. Who the heck is this person looking back at me? I've always been so shy and reserved to most people, and look what I've just done. Realistically, a person's whole world can be defined as consisting only of the people they interact with. By that definition, I had just put my entire naked life out in front of the whole world. It almost made me want to curl into fetal position, until I realized that despite - and possibly because of - showing vulnerability, I was showered with all this love from... my entire world.

It's addictive. I almost want to go tell someone else so I can get another hit. But then I remember that demon "freight train o' rejection" still snarling on the tracks out there, and nah, I'm good.

But wow, I guess I've really changed. Apparently conquering dysphoria Builds Strong Bodies Twelve Ways. (Name that product.)

Steph

•  

SadieBlake

Quote from: Steph2.0 on October 18, 2017, 12:22:41 AM
After all the positive feedback from coming out on Facebook, I've come to a sad realization. If I had known that I would have had all this support, I could have done this long ago, and cut a lot of pain out of my life. This is what happens when you let fear make your decisions for you.

The good news is, by ridding myself of the testosterone poisoning, I'm adding about 5 years to my lifespan. Even though I'm getting a late start, my wife and I still have a lot of living to do.

To quote Ashley again, Onward We Go! ® © ™  (The check's in the mail.)

Steph

I will devil's advocate this, yeah I've kicked myself for not transitioning a couple of years or even 15 years earlier.

I can't regret not having to jump through as many hoops as I would have back when I first realized and if I had goen that early, I'd have been what I fear - more passable but without the quieter thought process that came with changing my thinking. Today I pass emotionally and think and process in characteristically female ways. The one thing I never wanted to be was passing physically while retaining all the masculine behaviors that came with being amab.

My more recent context still required the now 4 years I've put into therapy. Had I realized say 5 years ago that yes I needed to transition some physical aspects would have been easier, like I'd have had paid time off or disability leave. However I would have been wallpapering over other problems. In these years I've addressed a career that was making me unhappy and established myself as a glass artist and more importantly, addressed abuse that I'd experienced as a kid that in turn were masked beneath many layers of coping mechanisms that I had to deal with first.

I've looked at lots of things with 20:20 hindsight -- a couple of motorcycle accidents come to mind and on thinking through the details, my conclusion has always been that the alternatives were potentially far worse.

I don't believe in coincidence and I do believe in magic - that force that drives us towards our better selves as long as we're making space and letting our egos take a back seat. The people who have abused me or hurt me most in my life seem to live ever more isolated lives. As I followed a path of spiritual awakening, I've seen how that magic that makes me better able to connect with people, I've seen others who just become more bitter and angry.

On April 26 as I was on the operating table about to go under I sat alone with my outstanding fears thinking I had about 20 seconds to change my mind. In that moment Heidi Wittenberg held my hand -- I knew before looking over it was her hands holding mine because they're so cold :-).

That was the right time for me, the right place and (ok aside from not really passing and definitely not being the cute chick I would imagine myself as) I'm ecstatic with where I landed.

Back when I first realized I'm transexual I told myself I'd transition in a heartbeat if I could be assured of being cute on the other side. Alas, cute ain't in the offing for me and then and at many points along the way I said to myself (and others) "yes I'm not transitioning mostly out of vanity, how femme does that feel?". Two decades later I've worn off the rough edges and realized that having become the girl I needed to be inside it was the right time for her outsides to match the best as possible.
🌈👭 lesbian, troublemaker ;-) 🌈🏳️‍🌈
  •