Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

The Stephanie Chronicles

Started by steph2.0, September 17, 2017, 11:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steph2.0

Quote from: Steph2.0 on November 24, 2017, 11:35:15 AM
I was obsessing to my friend Cassie, who I met at one of the social events of a local support group, about my hair situation regarding my upcoming court appointment. She's the one we went to the Ren Faire with, is also full-time transitioning, and has become a good friend. I told her I was considering going to a salon and getting some advice for my hair, and she invited me to go with her to her hairdresser tomorrow. So hopefully I'll find out if there's any hope for my mop, and maybe get some trimming and styling done. It's all a little scary. It's been 20 years since I let anyone do anything with my hair,  and I'll be putting my foot down if she suggests shortening it by any significant amount.

Today was the day I took another big step. I went with Cassandra to see her hairdresser Destinee, and okayed her recommendation to shorten my hair about 2 inches, color it all back to the original color with some highlights, and change the style to swept bangs. I've never ever had my hair styled; heck, I haven't even been in a barber's chair for 20 years. It took almost four hours while Destinee did her magic. The color ended up a little darker than original, and I love it. And I admit that when I saw myself in the mirror, I broke down in tears. Even got Destinee and Cassie crying. There was absolutely no doubt that there was a woman looking back from the other side of the looking glass.

We met another friend for lunch and spent the rest of the day wandering through the shops, talking at a coffee shop, watching the tree lighting ceremony, and finally ending up at a Mellow Mushroom for dinner. Cassie is just a little ahead of me in her transition, and we had a deep heart to heart conversation about our pasts, present and futures. More than once I talked about how much help you all have been to me here on Susan's.

Here I am with my slightly windblown new do, and a beautiful Florida sunset:

Here I am with Cassie and my new friend Stella:

The best part? The whole day I went without a hat. It was another outstandingly wonderful day to remember forever.

Steph

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

Jayne01

WOW Steph!!! You look amazing and that smile is coming from a real happy place inside. Forget any ideas you may have had about wigs or hats for your court date. You don't need that stuff.

I am walking through the airport terminal to go to work grinning like a fool. I am so happy for you.

Jayne
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: Jayne01 on November 26, 2017, 12:45:53 AM
WOW Steph!!! You look amazing and that smile is coming from a real happy place inside. Forget any ideas you may have had about wigs or hats for your court date. You don't need that stuff.

I am walking through the airport terminal to go to work grinning like a fool. I am so happy for you.

Thanks so much for the kind comment, Jayne. I never in a million years thought I'd see the person I saw looking back in the mirror. I thought I might break down, so I had myself prepared to avoid it. Nope. Too many emotes. Poor Destinee kept saying, "Oh no, I can't look at you, oh no." And she looked and also had ocular leakage. All happy tears. She got a tip as big as the hug I gave her.

It's a time in the future for you, too, Jayne. Stay positive and keep moving forward one step at a time. If I can do it, anyone can.

Have a nice day at work. Mess with the pilots some more with your feminine voice on the headset. (I've been doing that myself as I call the pattern.)

Steph

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

The Flying Lemur

I'm really glad that you found a new hairstyle that suits you!  You look great!  :)
The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are. --Joseph Campbell
  •  

Jayne01

I am looking forward when my hair is long enough to style. My electrologist told me her hairdresser is very good and has several trans clients at various stages of their transition. I also have never in my life had my hair styled and for the past 15-20 years I have been cutting it myself giving myself a buzz cut with clippers.

I wish I could be there to give you a hug and celebrate this happy time with you.

Jayne
  •  

steph2.0

Thanks Ben! As you can see in the pic, Stella is working on FtM. Everyone got a smile when Cassie put our meal on her credit card which still has her old name on it, and when the waiter came back he gave the receipts to Stella. We corrected him and gave the receipts to Cassie. The poor waiter looked so confused, but Stella chalked up a "pass point."

Jayne, I'll accept a virtual hug! [emoji5]

•  

Megan.

Steph, that is a great 'do, and a smile of  100% contentment,  no artifical colours or preservatives! And it looks like you've got some great friends there too. X

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

•  

Jayne01

•  

steph2.0

•  

Faith

that's it. You've made up  my mind. there's no way I could read this without getting my hair down properly. We have a Dec dinner date coming up. My wife already settled on my outfit to compliment hers. I think we need a hair day together. Thanks for making me spend even more money  ;D

Sorry, this is your thread and it's not about me. I do tend to try to relate to others by talking about me, it's a habit I'm really trying to break. So, on to the important part:

You look totally awesome. You may have gotten your hair done but you can see the affect in your whole face. And that smile? heart-melter ....
I left the door open, only a few came through. such is my life.

•  

KathyLauren

Wow, you look adorable, Steph!  I love that big smile, and I am in envy of your hair!
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: Faith on November 26, 2017, 06:10:32 AM
that's it. You've made up  my mind. there's no way I could read this without getting my hair down properly. We have a Dec dinner date coming up. My wife already settled on my outfit to compliment hers. I think we need a hair day together. Thanks for making me spend even more money  ;D

Don't even hesitate. I avoided it for far too long, and now I'm so glad I went. It was shocking what an immediate change it was. She intended to match the original color that she found where there wasn't any gray, but it ended up a little darker than it's ever been, with just a tinge of red in the right light. And I love it!

You'll have to decide whether you consider it expensive. It cost me US$128 plus a well-deserved tip. It was worth every penny.

QuoteSorry, this is your thread and it's not about me. I do tend to try to relate to others by talking about me, it's a habit I'm really trying to break.

That's right, it's my thread. And in my house, everybody gets to say whatever they want. I demand that my friends never censor themselves in here, so welcome, and never hesitate to interrupt.

QuoteSo, on to the important part:

You look totally awesome. You may have gotten your hair done but you can see the affect in your whole face. And that smile? heart-melter ....

Thank you so much, Faith. Is it too self-centered or narcissistic to say that I love that picture, too, despite the wrinkly face? I used to hate seeing myself in pictures, and tended to avert my eyes. And good luck finding any pictures of me with teeth showing before I started transitioning. Always a closed-mouth smile, more like a grimace. Now I like seeing that grinning person, and it's still a shock to realize that she is me.

Steph

•  

Faith

HAH! you don't want all my thoughts polluting your thread, trust me  ;D

I know what you mean about the closed-mouth grimace. I still do it, I'm a work in progress. I do know that reading your adventures is helping me with mine.

•  

Jayne01

Quote from: Steph2.0 on November 26, 2017, 06:46:04 AM
Is it too self-centered or narcissistic to say that I love that picture, too, despite the wrinkly face?
Nope! You are allowed to like seeing yourself happy. It's something many of us here have not been able to do for far too long.

Wrinkles? What wrinkles?

Jayne
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: KathyLauren on November 26, 2017, 06:37:35 AM
Wow, you look adorable, Steph!  I love that big smile, and I am in envy of your hair!

D'awww, thanks, Kathy. Since I can't wear a hat for my court hearing, one of the main reasons for doing it in the first place was to try to disguise the receding hairline, without it looking like a comb-over. By moving the part over a little and doing the swept bangs, I think she accomplished that. It did create a lock of hair that kept falling across my eyes, but to be honest, constantly brushing it over felt so cool. It may get annoying later, but for now I get a warm fuzzy feeling with that definably feminine gesture.

What surprised me is the recession is still there on the right side, but doesn't seem to be as noticeable due to the rest of the cut. Destinee truly is a magician.

Steph

•  

steph2.0

Quote from: Jayne01 on November 26, 2017, 06:51:54 AMNope! You are allowed to like seeing yourself happy. It's something many of us here have not been able to do for far too long.

Well come on in! The water's fine!

QuoteWrinkles? What wrinkles?

Ah, well, my face was ravaged with acne cysts during (first) puberty, and I'll live with the wreckage for the rest of my life. Just another side affect of testosterone poisoning. I'm so envious of you all with smooth skin.

I'll just have to let my brilliant toothpaste-commercial smile blind you all so you can't see it...

Steph

•  

Jayne01

Quote from: Steph2.0 on November 26, 2017, 06:59:50 AM
What surprised me is the recession is still there on the right side, but doesn't seem to be as noticeable due to the rest of the cut. Destinee truly is a magician.
The recession may not be as bad as you may think. There are many cis women out there with receding hairlines and it isn't noticeable because they have a feminine hairstyle.

I have been looking closely at other women in my travels. I am lucky not to have any major recession yet, but if I end up anything like my father, it will recede with a vengeance. Hopefully the hormones will put a stop to that. What I noticed while observing different women is that many do indeed have a very receded hairline and I only noticed because I was specifically looking for that kind of thing.

Jayne
  •  

Faith

My wife has a severe receding line on one side, compounded by a scar from an accident so hair will never grow there. It does not detract from her hair style. most things are taken as a whole, you cannot focus on the one 'wrong' thing.

keep on smiling, I'll buy that toothpaste

•  

steph2.0

Quote from: Faith on November 26, 2017, 07:38:10 AM
keep on smiling, I'll buy that toothpaste

Thanks, Faith, for the encouragement.

I've decided the easiest way to keep people from seeing my wrinkles is to squirt the toothpaste in their eyes. Never fails.

Steph

•  

Faith

Quote from: Steph2.0 on November 26, 2017, 07:40:34 AM
Thanks, Faith, for the encouragement.

I've decided the easiest way to keep people from seeing my wrinkles is to squirt the toothpaste in their eyes. Never fails.

Steph

I thought about something like this:

I don't have the lips for it, or the chin for that matter.

•