Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

The Stephanie Chronicles

Started by steph2.0, September 17, 2017, 11:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steph2.0

Sorry to keep y'all waiting. It was a wonderful day, though things aren't quite complete yet. My evening project is to type up a full report for submission to the committee, but my wife says I have to feed her first. Back in a bit...

Steph

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

Laurie

Quote from: Anne Blake on December 07, 2017, 05:24:55 PM
Hey Steph,

How did the courts go today? Did they declare you to be officially you? FYI, I received my court notice today making my name official, does that make two of us today?

Tia Anne

Congratulations Tia. Ask Debi to give you a good squeeze for me.

Hugs,
   Laurie
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

The Flying Lemur

This is awesome, Steph!  I'm sorry to hear you're stuck with more paperwork, but it's great to know the name change is in sight!
The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are. --Joseph Campbell
  •  

steph2.0

Girl Harbor Day
December, 7th, 2017
A date which will live in infamy...

Preface: I wrote about my trip for waterproof mascara and eyeliner yesterday, so I thought I'd give it a try last night. I ended up wearing it to bed as a test...

Our story starts out early, as usual, with a spiro-induced trip to the ladies room, after which I lay awake, thinking about the upcoming day. What would I tell the judge when she asked, as I'd been told to expect, "What is the reason for changing your name?" Many different things went through my noggin, from the simplest recommended, "It fits me better," to long involved explanations that nobody wanted to sit through. I got myself worked up until I induced ocular leakage, and finally decided on, "It's appropriate - it's necessary - for me to finally... finally just be. Satisfied, I dropped back off to sleep.

Up earlier than usual to give myself plenty of time to get ready. Looked in the mirror, and saw a cross between Rocky Raccoon and Tammy Faye Bakker. So much for waterproof eyeliner...

With the advice of friends in person and here on Susan's, I'd picked out a black dress, a pearl necklace and earrings (of course), my favorite brooch of an airplane skywriting a heart, and two-inch pumps. As I finished getting dressed, the first of my entourage arrived.My new friend Cassandra got up extra early to drive an hour here so she could give me moral support. I met her at an Orlando support group meeting, and we hit it off right away, and have become good friends since. Next, my Mom and her hubby arrived, followed by my friends Delores and Bonnie. My neighbors J and D were going to meet us at the courthouse. Including my wife, that meant I had eight people in my posse.

The courthouse is 10 minutes from home, so we drove over at 8:30 for the 9:00 appointment. Unlike some pictures I've seen (like Kendra's), there's no way to get pictures outside the courtroom, because all electronic devices of any kind are banned from the building. I set off the alarm in the metal detector, so got wanded by the deputy (must have been the brooch or necklace), with no indication of anything unusual (yay!). The deputy running the x-ray scanner joked that he had a button to make the magnetic detector beep so the other deputy with the wand would have something to do once in a while. Up to the second floor, and checked in with the bailiff (just using the last name). Apparently you wait outside the courtroom and each case is called in individually, so the only people in the room would be myself, family, and friends. After waiting a while, the bailiff came back out and called for Stephanie Bxxx, and explained where I would be sitting, where the rest of the peanut gallery would go (sitting in the gallery behind me), and to address the magistrate with yes ma'am, no ma'am, and your honor. A few minutes later the previous occupants walked out, the bailiff called for Stephanie Bxxx again, and in we went.

Our host was a very sweet lady who welcomed us all in, asked my current name and address, and checked all the paperwork I'd submitted electronically on the screen next to her (petition, social security card, birth certificate, fingerprints, and notarized affidavit of residency). She asked a bunch of questions about convictions (convicted? No... never convicted. Just kidding...), bankruptcies, liens, etc. I've lived a pretty boring life, so there was nothing to report. We talked a bit about the fact that my parents had put "Steve R" on my social security card instead of the Stephen Richard I'd used on all other legal paperwork. No problems there. She explained what would happen next: Since she's a magistrate, she has to turn the paperwork over to a judge who reviews and signs it, finishes the report, and sends it to me via snail-mail in two stamped envelopes I had to supply. She also said there would be a 10-day waiting period where I could take the opportunity to contest the ruling - unless I chose to waive it. We both smiled and laughed when I told her I would definitely be waiving that right. She said the judge would probably be reviewing cases this afternoon, and would get them in the mail tomorrow or the next day. The bailiff had me initial and sign my current name to a document, collected the envelopes from my wife, and we were done. Just like that. Never even got asked "why."

As the bailiff ushered us out, I looked back and saw that my neighbor D had gone up to the magistrate's dais and was smiling and laughing with her. It turns out that her honor had never had that many people accompany a petitioner before, and was amazed by the support team who'd come with me. I was, too...

It was a cool rainy morning in Florida as we walked out, but I felt pretty warm with all that love surrounding me.

We had been wanting to find a place we could all go to brunch, preferably one that served mimosas. No such luck in this part o' Florida. So despite the fact that I was way overdressed for the place, we decided to go to one of the greasy spoons here in town. And wow, am I ever glad we did.

Our waiter Jason was awesome. We had a great breakfast, with Jason taking pictures of us all and joining in the fun. That's why it was strange when he started clearing the table as soon as plates were emptied, and apologized for starting to reset the table with napkins, clean plates, and silverware while we were still sitting there. It seemed kind of rude... until he came out with a cake that said, "Congratulation Stephanie" on it. Everyone at the table yelled "Congratulations Stephanie!" and everyone in the whole restaurant applauded. That's when the ocular plumbing started oozing again. When Bonnie had left the table earlier to "use the ladies room" she'd actually gone to the kitchen and talked to the manager about coming up with a cake. He pulled one out and decorated it while we ate. Wow. Just wow...

After a few more pictures by Jason (and with Jason) we got ready to leave. He congratulated me privately, and let me know that he knew what we were celebrating, and not only did he think it was cool, but that Darrell, the owner of the restaurant (and the other 13 or so restaurants in the chain here in Florida) was his husband.

Most of us went back to my hacienda and took some more pictures. Cassie had never been here before, so I showed her around my shop and hangar, and after some more socializing, everyone departed for home. After I took Maggie for a long walk while thinking about the day, I spent the rest of the afternoon studying the inside of my eyelids with a well-earned overdue nap.

So... I still don't have the final paperwork, but it's in process. I expect to see it on Monday or Tuesday. Then I need to get it to my endo so she'll write the "appropriate clinical treatment" letter for the gender marker change, and then it's off to social security. After two days for the data to percolate through the system, I go to the DMV and get the registrations changed on my vehicles, and a new drivers license.

Thank you to great family and friends. That includes you all here on Susan's.

Stephanie Rhapsody Bensinger (pending)

Here are some memories:

Surprise Cake

The Entourage

Jason Photobomb

Happy Steph

Stephanie and Cassie

Stephanie and Sue

Stephanie and Mom and Hubby

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

Laurie

Purty cool Stephanie purty cool.

Congratulations (pending)

Hugs,
   Laurie

(I found a different place for the parenthesis)
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

KathyLauren

Wow, what an excellent day, and what a great extended family you have!  Congratulations on being (almost) officially you!
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Megan.

Yay! Awsome day, for an awsome woman from a butch of awsome friends.

Sending my heartfelt congratulations. X

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

•  

steph2.0

Quote from: Megan. on December 08, 2017, 08:13:25 AM
Yay! Awsome day, for an awsome woman from a butch of awsome friends.

Haaahaha!! Some of my friends are pretty tough, but I wouldn't call them butch!  :D

•  

steph2.0

Quote from: Steph2.0 on December 07, 2017, 07:31:40 PM
My evening project is to type up a full report for submission to the committee

PS: by that I meant my report for all of you. I've already done everything necessary for the county. Now I just wait...

•  

Faith

congrats on moving forward, and having such a great support group. I'd be able to pull of maybe, 3 people. And they're immediate family. Friends? what are those? ......
I left the door open, only a few came through. such is my life.

•  

Kendra

Stephanie, congratulations - you definitely earned it! 

Yesterday I mailed copies of my name change order to the three US credit reporting companies.  I figure if one of them is going to mishandle private information at least I want it leaked accurately.   :P

It's been a month but I still smile every time I see my new driver license.  I feel 16 again (just don't tell my car insurance company).

Quote from: Faith on December 08, 2017, 09:49:33 AM
congrats on moving forward, and having such a great support group. I'd be able to pull of maybe, 3 people. And they're immediate family. Friends? what are those? ......

Faith, I found some existing connections seemed distant or permanently startled after I came out as transgender.  No worries, that just frees up time to make great new friends that are real.  ;)   Ya only gots so many hours in a day.
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

Megan.

Quote from: Steph2.0 on December 08, 2017, 08:52:40 AM
Haaahaha!! Some of my friends are pretty tough, but I wouldn't call them butch!  :D
Haha, typo obviously! Meant to say "bunch". X

•  

steph2.0

Quote from: Megan. on December 08, 2017, 11:39:45 AM
Haha, typo obviously! Meant to say "bunch".

🤣 I was just thinking, if I called them butch, they'd probably beat me up.

•  

Megan.

Quote from: Steph2.0 on December 08, 2017, 01:05:09 PM
🤣 I was just thinking, if I called them butch, they'd probably beat me up.
[emoji23] I was right all along!

•  

Jayne01

•  

steph2.0

Thanks for all the good wishes, everyone. It won't feel real until I have that order in my hand. Hopefully Monday or Tuesday. And I really think, as Kendra noted, that the actual watershed moment will be when I have that new driver's license in my sweaty little palm. That will be the first official document that will show a gender marker. I can then show that to anyone who continues to misgender me.

On to more fun things! I have set a date for my coming out party. I was originally going to have it to come out to my neighborhood, then right at the court date. Neither of those worked out. So, after verifying that my friends from far away can make it, I've set the date for New Years Eve, 2017.

Stephanie Rhapsody Bensinger's New Year / New Life Party. And all ya gotta do to join is sing a few bars next time it comes around on the gitar. Oh, sorry, wrong holiday...

In any case, all y'all are invited!

Steph

•  

steph2.0

Well, friends, remember when I asked if I should go to the 50th anniversary party of the guy who tried to convert me to his religion?

Well, I'm there now. I came close to a full-on panic attack as I was getting ready. So far so good, but still pretty jumpy. My friends have told me that I'm presenting 100% female, but the lady serving coffee just misgendered me. She corrected from "yes, sir" to "yes, ma'am" to "dear" within seconds, but it was still kind of disheartening.

Our dog is welcome here when we come, but she's as freaked out by the crowds as I am. We're keeping each other company in a back room while we gather our wits. Have to go back out there sooner or later if I want to eat.

Wish me luck...

Shaky Steph

•  

Faith

Come'on Steph, you're doing great. I have female family members that look more manly than you do.

And if that didn't come out right, that's a compliment ;D
I left the door open, only a few came through. such is my life.

•  

steph2.0

Thank you Faith. I really need that right now.

•  

steph2.0

•