Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

The Stephanie Chronicles

Started by steph2.0, September 17, 2017, 11:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steph2.0

I almost posted this on Faith's thread, but decided against it. It's a little triggering. But since I typed it up, I'll post it here.

Regarding loneliness: Last August, before I was out to anyone but my wife and therapist, I was at the huge Oshkosh EAA Airventure aviation love-fest. And I was devastatingly alone in the middle of a crowd of literally tens of thousands of people shoulder to shoulder. All the women were dressed coolly in colorful clothes, and I was almost paralyzed with dysphoria. Nobody commented about that "guy" crying. Maybe they couldn't see it behind the sunglasses.

A few days later I came out to the first "outsider," my friend who was also attending the show, and the ride has been almost universally positive since then. Now, even when at home by myself, I never feel alone.

Steph

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

Megan.

I remember similar moments, being surrounded by many while feeling utterly alone and separate.

Feeling 'part of the world' is perhaps one of the less mentioned but most positive benefits that HRT and/or transition can bring.

I'm glad that despite the odd bump, this has been a road forward for you. X

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

•  

Devlyn

Quote from: Steph2.0 on December 19, 2017, 08:28:45 AM
Tia, Kendra, Moni, and anyone else who's watching, who is either scheduled for or has undergone GCS:

I have locked down my health insurance for next year, and chose a policy with an eye toward the best coverage for surgery. Now I'm lost. Do any of you have a timeline or checklist I can use to guide me through all of this? I have no idea what to do next, so any help would be muchly appreciated!

Stephanie

Schedule a consult with the surgeon and get your required letters to his office. You'll need a pre surgical physical, too.

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on December 19, 2017, 10:46:25 AM
Schedule a consult with the surgeon and get your required letters to his office. You'll need a pre surgical physical, too.

Hugs, Devlyn

Thanks, Devlyn. When would I include my insurance company as part of the decision? Do I contact them first to find out who is in-network (if such a thing exists) before I call the surgeon. There doesn't seem to be a point to traveling to and paying for a consultation if my insurance won't cover them.

After thinking a bit, here's a very tentative list that seems like the right order:

• Contact Insurance Company for list of approved surgeons
  • Pick favorites from list based on preferred technique, reputation, schedule backlog, etc.
  • Schedule consultation
  • Hair removal (if required)
  • Set date
  • Submit details to insurance so they can prepare their buckets of money
  • Set up travel and accommodations
  • Buy all the stuff needed for aftercare
  • Surgery

I also get the impression that insurance companies don't have "in-network" surgeons for this, and that I may have to pay cash up front and be compensated later. That's sorta doable, but it would be better to have the insurance pay the doc directly. How does that work?

I plan to get started on this project on the first of the year, with the goal of being done in 2018. I know that's not possible with the big names, but I see there are plenty of lesser-known surgeons with good reputations. I just wish there was a recommended one in Florida so I could recover at home...

Steph

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

Faith

Steph, anytime you want to post something in my thread, do it. Sure it may trigger, it may help, it may do both. Please don't 'not post' by playing it safe, that's not who I am.

I'll thank you here for your reply there, logic & reason doesn't seem to have much effect on how I feel.

So, for an up note, I gold tipped my fingers Friday night. I like the gold. Not as reflective (HAH) in a picture. I decided last night to try to be more Christmasie .. Christmassy .. festive. Not perfect, looks good from a distance though.

I left the door open, only a few came through. such is my life.

•  

Devlyn

Quote from: Steph2.0 on December 19, 2017, 11:07:34 AM
Quote from: Devlyn Marie on December 19, 2017, 10:46:25 AM

Hugs, Devlyn

Thanks, Devlyn. When would I include my insurance company as part of the decision? Do I contact them first to find out who is in-network (if such a thing exists) before I call the surgeon. There doesn't seem to be a point to traveling to and paying for a consultation if my insurance won't cover them.

After thinking a bit, here's a very tentative list that seems like the right order:

• Contact Insurance Company for list of approved surgeons
  • Pick favorites from list based on preferred technique, reputation, schedule backlog, etc.
  • Schedule consultation
  • Hair removal (if required)
  • Set date
  • Submit details to insurance so they can prepare their buckets of money
  • Set up travel and accommodations
  • Buy all the stuff needed for aftercare
  • Surgery

I also get the impression that insurance companies don't have "in-network" surgeons for this, and that I may have to pay cash up front and be compensated later. That's sorta doable, but it would be better to have the insurance pay the doc directly. How does that work?

I plan to get started on this project on the first of the year, with the goal of being done in 2018. I know that's not possible with the big names, but I see there are plenty of lesser-known surgeons with good reputations. I just wish there was a recommended one in Florida so I could recover at home...

Steph

My PCP recommended and referred me to the local GRS surgeon. The insurance approval (BCBS) came without me lifting a finger.

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: Faith on December 19, 2017, 11:13:34 AM
Steph, anytime you want to post something in my thread, do it. Sure it may trigger, it may help, it may do both. Please don't 'not post' by playing it safe, that's not who I am.

You got it, ma'am. Your wish is my command. Sometimes I'm too cautious about that stuff.

QuoteI'll thank you here for your reply there, logic & reason doesn't seem to have much effect on how I feel.

Yup. Kinda of my point re intellect vs. emotion. I get it. I got it. I had it!

QuoteSo, for an up note, I gold tipped my fingers Friday night. I like the gold. Not as reflective (HAH) in a picture. I decided last night to try to be more Christmasie .. Christmassy .. festive. Not perfect, looks good from a distance though.

Wow, very artisanny, artisanie, artsy-fartsy.  ;D

Steph

•  

Anne Blake

Hi Steph,

You have a pretty good list of stuff surrounding surgery. Identifying the longer lead times and their prerequisites would be in order.

The longest lead time item is the waiting list of most 0f the top surgeons, some suggest a two to three year wait. For my doctor I needed at least one of my therapist referral letters prior to being able to get on her waiting list. The second letter was needed a few months prior to surgery.

Scheduling a consultation surprised me. The three surgeons on my short list; Dr. Mc Ginn, Dr. Bowers and Dr. Meltzer all had several month's wait just for consultation and I would not be able to get on the surgery list until after the consult. That made surgery further out than infinity...got lucky and got an early consult from Dr. Meltzer, that and the availability of a shorter wait time for Dr. Ley was the deciding factor in making my choice. I was comfortable with all three doctors on my short list so the choice was not difficult for me.

Hair removal is something that you will want to look into. For some it was a non issue and others have horror stories. My electrocutioner suggested that four or five rounds of total clearing over a six month period would be sufficient but that wouldn't have been enough. It looks like, for me, it may required  twice that to be certain. Luckily just having a partial or no depth procedure, the remaining hair can be removed post op.

Once you have the surgery date set, both referral letters and whatever hair removal treatments done you may focus on the flexibility of your schedule. I called and checked with the surgeon's office and found that I could get in a couple of months early. It took some jumping through hoops on my part but I loved getting in early. If I hadn't done that I would still be in fairly significant recovery right now.

I thought that the one year RLE rule from WPATH would be a limiter but the surgeon's office treated it as more of a guideline. As long as my therapists felt me ready, there were no problems with the surgeons with me being a month short of the full year. Each office will probably differ.

The travel and the getting the needed stuff were good distractors from my impatience during the long wait. My surgery was in Scottsdale and we waited to pick up most of the required stuff there rather than carting it from home.

I chose to spend a few months prior to surgery working on fitness, primarily focused on endurance and core strength to aid in recovery. Recovery still took forever but I think that the added time with conditioning has helped out.

My surgery was self funded as Medicare does not cover this procedure so I have no suggestions about insurance.

One thing not on your list was recovery time. I had always felt rather immortal and invincible so was not concerned about a significant amount of recovery time. Sure, I read the stories of the others that had struggled through but knowing my typical strengths and endurance was not concerned. Needless to say, I got my ass kicked by trying to push it too hard. I recommend allowing yourself far more time than you expect for healing. You may not need it but in that case you just have some more time on your hands to enjoy life.

Good luck girl, I just know that you are going to nail this one. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Love,
Tia Anne
  •  

Devlyn

Yeah, I forgot the RLE guidelines. I had surgery seven months after going on HRT,  my surgeon, therapists, and PCP all agreed I was ready. The one year is not set in stone.

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on December 19, 2017, 12:33:18 PM
Yeah, I forgot the RLE guidelines. I had surgery seven months after going on HRT,  my surgeon, therapists, and PCP all agreed I was ready. The one year is not set in stone.

Hugs, Devlyn

Apparently my therapist is so convinced I'm ready that she's willing to set the RLE start date to the day of my first appointment with her back in May. I'm certainly convinced!

•  

SadieBlake

Steph, I don't know anything about finasteride however I'm now at 2 years with effectively 0 T, dht and my baldness lines have only receded by the barest of margins. Essentially my understanding of HRT in MTF people is that beard growth, body hair and baldness are only slightly changed.

My hope for minoxidil would be that absent new T perhaps it doesn't need to be applied forever the way it does with people who still have T but I'm sure this has been tried and I'd have heard if it were workable. Still, I plan to try.

P.s. I have a surgery checklist somewhere, I'll try to dig it up.

Also plan on hair removal. I don't trust the surgeon scraping follicles have heard of failures if this method. I'd think start a bare minimum of 6 months before your surgical date.
🌈👭 lesbian, troublemaker ;-) 🌈🏳️‍🌈
  •  

steph2.0

•  

Megan.

•  

KathyLauren

Fake ID!  :police:  That can't be a real driver's license photo because the photo looks too beautiful!

Seriously, congratulations, Steph! 
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Jayne01

Quote from: KathyLauren on December 19, 2017, 04:33:43 PM
Fake ID!  :police:  That can't be a real driver's license photo because the photo looks too beautiful!

Seriously, congratulations, Steph!
What she said ^^^^^^^^^^^

Nobody looks good on their driver's licence. This must have been photoshopped.
  •  

Kendra

Wow - YESSSS!!!  You're there!
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

Denise

OMG a great photo on a driver's license. 

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

1st Person out: 16-Oct-2015
Restarted Spironolactone 26-Aug-2016
Restarted Estradiol Valerate: 02-Nov-2016
Full time: 02-Mar-2017
Breast Augmentation (Schechter): 31-Oct-2017
FFS (Walton in Chicago): 25-Sep-2018
Vaginoplasty (Schechter): 13-Dec-2018

A haiku in honor of my grandmother who loved them.

The Voices are Gone
Living Life to the Fullest
I am just Denise
  •  

Jayne01

Quote from: Steph2.0 on December 19, 2017, 09:07:13 AM
Regarding loneliness: Last August, before I was out to anyone but my wife and therapist, I was at the huge Oshkosh EAA Airventure aviation love-fest. And I was devastatingly alone in the middle of a crowd of literally tens of thousands of people shoulder to shoulder. All the women were dressed coolly in colorful clothes, and I was almost paralyzed with dysphoria. Nobody commented about that "guy" crying. Maybe they couldn't see it behind the sunglasses.
What you described is an all too familiar feeling. Feeling alone while surrounded by people, whether those people are friends, family or strangers is something I can relate to very well. Thankfully, since starting my transition journey, the loneliness is slowly releasing its grip on me. Even more proof that I am on the right path.

Thanks for posting that Steph. I often struggle to put my feelings into words. By describing your own experience, you have also provided me with the words to describe mine. And to be clear, I will repeat what Faith said. Don't ever feel the need to censor yourself when posting on my thread either. That applies for everyone.

I am so happy that your transition is going so well. I know I have said that you many times. It is such a joy to see such happiness in you now knowing what dysphoria can do to a person. It gives me hope that I too can experience this kind of happiness, which it seems that I can, with each new step I take.

Jayne
  •  

Anne Blake

Well done girl, didn't anyone tell you that you are supposed to really struggle through all of this transition stuff? That license picture must be fake, at least in Colorado you are not allowed to smile wide enough to show any teeth. I had to get my photo taken four times to dampen my smile enough to pass and it was cheating a bit at that. Not smiling wide on our first license is really hard to do.

Tia Anne
  •  

Kendra

I was allowed to flash my... teeth at the department of licensing in Seattle. 
Yeah that's it, teeth.  No typo
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •