Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

The Stephanie Chronicles

Started by steph2.0, September 17, 2017, 11:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steph2.0

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

Jayne01

Who is this Stephen person? He has the same last name as you, are you related?

You look amazing Steph. Seriously, you should be careful. I'm sure there is some kind of law that says you are not permitted to look so good and happy on a driver's licence.

Jayne
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: Jayne01 on December 19, 2017, 11:28:53 PM
Who is this Stephen person? He has the same last name as you, are you related?

As a young-at-heart woman, I will acknowledge that he was a dour, sad old man I used to see in mirrors. He did the best he could for years, and helped me become who I am today. I am grateful for the help he gave me, but I can't say I'm sorry that he's not in my life any more. I have too much happy living to do, and he was kind of in my way.

QuoteYou look amazing Steph. Seriously, you should be careful. I'm sure there is some kind of law that says you are not permitted to look so good and happy on a driver's licence.

I'll let you make the judgement on the "good" part - I always find something to criticize. But I won't deny the "happy" part!

Ms. Stephanie Rhapsody Bensinger

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

Jayne01

Quote from: Steph2.0 on December 19, 2017, 11:42:32 PM
I'll let you make the judgement on the "good" part - I always find something to criticize. But I won't deny the "happy" part!
Believe me, you look good, great.....amazing!! That big heartfelt smile just complements the look.

Ms. Stephanie Rhapsody Bensinger
I suspect you are getting great pleasure from writing your name now. Good for you Ms Stephanie Rhapsody Bensinger.

Jayne
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: SadieBlake on December 19, 2017, 01:55:28 PM
Steph, I don't know anything about finasteride however I'm now at 2 years with effectively 0 T, dht and my baldness lines have only receded by the barest of margins. Essentially my understanding of HRT in MTF people is that beard growth, body hair and baldness are only slightly changed.

My hope for minoxidil would be that absent new T perhaps it doesn't need to be applied forever the way it does with people who still have T but I'm sure this has been tried and I'd have heard if it were workable. Still, I plan to try.

P.s. I have a surgery checklist somewhere, I'll try to dig it up.

Also plan on hair removal. I don't trust the surgeon scraping follicles have heard of failures if this method. I'd think start a bare minimum of 6 months before your surgical date.

Maybe my follicles were just dormant instead of dead. I was absolutely sure I was going to need hair transplants until I saw regrowth. The crown is almost completely filled in after using Min since late February. According to the instructions, Min only works on the crown, though I've read of people using it all over their head. What shocked me most was the widow's peaks are getting some fine regrowth that seems to be getting thicker. If what they say about Min is true, then that regrowth must be entirely due to the fin.

For the hair removal, that's one reason I want to choose a surgeon and get a consultation ASAP. I hope I'm not being too optimistic by hoping for surgery before the end of 2018.

And yes, if you can find your checklist, it would sure be helpful.

Steph

•  

steph2.0

It's been a quiet week here in Lake StephBeGone.

Not.

Yesterday I, along with Sue and the Magster, hosted our first neighborhood potluck dinner at our house. This is a fairly recent innovation, instituted by all the women in the extended family that is our community. Every week the lady of one of the households puts together a one-pot meal, and everyone else brings the rest of the goodies. Since in my house, if I don't cook, we don't eat, I was the woman chosen to run this shindig. I decided on spaghetti.

I, of course - and for no logical reason - was nervous about being my new self among people who are getting pretty used to the idea by now. And everything was fine. I didn't hear any pronouns being used, so didn't hear any misgendering, and  I didn't notice any awkward or humorous looks. I was just Steph, and everyone enjoyed the meal and each other's company, which is exactly what I needed. It was a fine night, and a side benefit was the house hasn't been this clean since we moved in.

And of course, today I went to the DMV office for my new driver's license. I have passed so many milestones in such a short amount of time, but today is the one that hit me the hardest. Seeing a therapist, starting treatment, overcoming my fears of being out, getting the name change court order, and changing the name and gender marker with the Social Security Administration were monumental moments for me, but none touched me as deeply as getting a driver's license with my correct name and gender on it. I just can't stop looking at it. Kendra is so right. It makes everything so real.

And I was terrified the picture would come out as badly as all the other driver's license pictures I've ever had...

I had heard horror stories about DMV offices in other counties and how disrespectfully they had treated some people I know, so I had no idea what to expect. I took a big breath in the car, and headed inside with my folder of paperwork. I had everything in order and was called to the counter with no waiting. Blair took the paperwork, did a bunch of typing, then had me stand in front of the camera. I was so happy I couldn't stop smiling. I couldn't see the results, but Blair told me that she thought I'd be very happy with the picture. Later when she finally handed me the card, I started to tear up, and she got a big grin and told me she was happy that I was happy.

Despite the bad forecasts I get from people, I have yet to have a bad experience in a government office, with the deputies in security, the magistrate, the county clerk, the social security people, and now the DMV crew. I suspect it has something to do with my attitude. I always go in with a big smile, show a lot of patience, am as prepared as possible, and show respect and gratitude to whoever's helping me. And I've never failed to get all that reflected back at me.

Tia, I have had plenty of struggles with other aspects of transition, but so far the paper chase hasn't been too bad at all!

And tonight was another Trivia contest with Sue's friends in the Villages. Again, Sue had to work late, and so I went solo until she showed up after work. I met a few new people there, and I have no idea what they know about my situation. It doesn't really matter. I was just Steph to them all, and another team member. It felt strangely normal, except for the part about me being completely authentic and happy with myself. We did pretty badly this week, but had a good time anyway. Afterward Sue and I and S, the lady who put the team together, and is completely clued in and supportive of my transition, went out for Thai food, and had a really good conversation about what transition is all about. It feels great to have a non-self-conscious, open conversation about it all. And once again, I stepped into the role of educator and advocate that my therapist had told me I'd end up as.

After dinner we split up to find our individual cars, and I once again enjoyed the novelty of walking around the town where I'd had a meltdown no more than four months ago, when I was absolutely certain I'd never pass, and transition was a huge mistake. Tonight I had the added joy of having a very special card in my purse, that was absolute proof to anyone who needed it that I am Stephanie Rhapsody Bensinger, female. I do still get a thrill typing that out. Sorry Jayne, it's going to take a long time before that becomes ordinary.

Steph

•  

Kendra

Steph the contrast in your 2014/2017 driver licenses is incredible!  And I am not talking about the blue background.  We all see such a warm smile and many, many other changes. 

Sounds like you're starting to get used to the new normal.  Pretty nice huh? 

On the topic of hair removal and GRS.  My understanding is follicles can be scraped/eliminated during surgery but that causes more time under anesthesia.  I was about to say it can't hurt to eliminate all the hair in advance (as I have), but... yeah electrolysis in that area wasn't exactly a walk in the park.  I don't recommend that in a park or while walking. 
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

Jayne01

Quote from: Steph2.0 on December 20, 2017, 12:50:29 AM
.... I am Stephanie Rhapsody Bensinger, female. I do still get a thrill typing that out. Sorry Jayne, it's going to take a long time before that becomes ordinary.
I just love reading about how well everything is going for you. I was reading your latest post on my phone as I was walking in to work from the car park. I was feeling happy for you, but when I read the statement "I am Stephanie Rhapsody Bensinger", a huge smile appeared on my face. You seem so proud and happy to finally be your true self. I am also getting a thrill to see you this happy. Don't apologise for it. I hope this thrill stays with you for a very long time and remain extraordinary rather than ordinary.

Jayne
  •  

Faith

Steph, I keep reading and intending to reply then bunch of other people post my words so I don't. Well, I don't feel right not putting in my 2c so .. Take all the good things you've been posting and add a "I'm thrilled for you" or "You look great"  in the appropriate places.

Thank You  ;D
Faith
I left the door open, only a few came through. such is my life.

•  

SadieBlake

Quote from: Steph2.0 on December 20, 2017, 12:04:29 AM
Maybe my follicles were just dormant instead of dead. I was absolutely sure I was going to need hair transplants until I saw regrowth. The crown is almost completely filled in after using Min since late February. According to the instructions, Min only works on the crown, though I've read of people using it all over their head. What shocked me most was the widow's peaks are getting some fine regrowth that seems to be getting thicker. If what they say about Min is true, then that regrowth must be entirely due to the fin.

For the hair removal, that's one reason I want to choose a surgeon and get a consultation ASAP. I hope I'm not being too optimistic by hoping for surgery before the end of 2018.

And yes, if you can find your checklist, it would sure be helpful.

Steph

First things first here's my amended checklist -- note, one thing I found was completely over optimistic was including panty liners, I continued to need full scale pads for a couple of months.

https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,221913.msg1990658.html#msg1990658

Clearly finasteride creates an absence of T which for me was accomplished with my estrogen injections and of course now obviated by GCS, as noted it's given me back a little hair, so yay! However that effect is small so I wouldn't attribute your widow's peaks recovery to the F.

I'm psyched to hear that minoxidil has worked for you and better than advertised. I'd attribute their statement to FDA label requirements which are quite strict, drug suppliers can't mention things not observed in trials.

The question going ahead for me will be does it do it's job once and for all, or do you need to keep taking it, obviously I'm hoping for the latter :-) it may be time for more research.
🌈👭 lesbian, troublemaker ;-) 🌈🏳️‍🌈
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: Steph2.0 on December 19, 2017, 11:11:53 PM
A study in contrasts:

Lately when running errands I've just been carrying my phone with my driver license and a credit card stuck in a clear pocket on the back. My license was always face down with the CC on top to cover it.

Now that license is front and center, facing out for the world to see. Sorta like me now.

Steph

•  

Denise

Quote from: Steph2.0 on December 20, 2017, 08:31:10 AM
Lately when running errands I've just been carrying my phone with my driver license and a credit card stuck in a clear pocket on the back. My license was always face down with the CC on top to cover it.

Now that license is front and center, facing out for the world to see. Sorta like me now.

Steph
This made me smile.  Thanks

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

1st Person out: 16-Oct-2015
Restarted Spironolactone 26-Aug-2016
Restarted Estradiol Valerate: 02-Nov-2016
Full time: 02-Mar-2017
Breast Augmentation (Schechter): 31-Oct-2017
FFS (Walton in Chicago): 25-Sep-2018
Vaginoplasty (Schechter): 13-Dec-2018

A haiku in honor of my grandmother who loved them.

The Voices are Gone
Living Life to the Fullest
I am just Denise
  •  

Jessica

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

steph2.0

Quote from: Kendra on December 20, 2017, 01:07:24 AM
Sounds like you're starting to get used to the new normal.  Pretty nice huh?

To live a real life? And to call that normal? Nice doesn't even begin to describe it. I can't think of a strong enough complimentary term, but I know that you know what I mean. You're already there. How cool that I'm finally catching up.

QuoteOn the topic of hair removal and GRS.  My understanding is follicles can be scraped/eliminated during surgery but that causes more time under anesthesia.  I was about to say it can't hurt to eliminate all the hair in advance (as I have)

Is a little more time under anesthesia really that bad compared to all the trauma of the hair removal via electrolysis? Laser isn't an option for me, being naturally blonde shading into gray. I have to wonder whether the surgeon and/or anesthesiologist are really taking the patient's overall well-being into account as much as possible incremental risk to themselves in surgery. Obviously some docs don't have a problem with it.

Quoteelectrolysis in that area wasn't exactly a walk in the park.  I don't recommend that in a park or while walking.

Could I do it in a car?
Could I do it in a bar?
Could I do it in a hall?
I'd rather not do it at all.

Stephie Suess

•  

steph2.0

Quote from: Faith on December 20, 2017, 05:54:55 AM
Steph, I keep reading and intending to reply then bunch of other people post my words so I don't. Well, I don't feel right not putting in my 2c so .. Take all the good things you've been posting and add a "I'm thrilled for you" or "You look great"  in the appropriate places.

Thank You  ;D
Faith

Faith, you lazy bum! I love hearing things in your own words. No short cuts next time, my friend! [emoji6]

•  

steph2.0

Quote from: SadieBlake on December 20, 2017, 06:08:29 AMClearly finasteride creates an absence of T which for me was accomplished with my estrogen injections and of course now obviated by GCS, as noted it's given me back a little hair, so yay! However that effect is small so I wouldn't attribute your widow's peaks recovery to the F.

Possibly I misunderstand the way the F works. I thought it directly suppressed DHT, and blockers and E go after the T. I don't know how the entire process works, so does eliminating T also eliminate any possibility of DHT?

QuoteI'm psyched to hear that minoxidil has worked for you and better than advertised. I'd attribute their statement to FDA label requirements which are quite strict, drug suppliers can't mention things not observed in trials.

Good point. Maybe I'll start using it all over my head.

QuoteThe question going ahead for me will be does it do it's job once and for all, or do you need to keep taking it, obviously I'm hoping for the latter :-) it may be time for more research.

According to the package, the effects wear off if you stop using it, and things will eventually end up where they started. Of course, they're not considering the cocktail we're taking with it.

Your terminology is a little confusing to me, though. Considering what I'm using is a topical liquid or foam, I would say I use it, not take it. You seem to imply here's a way to ingest it somehow. Maybe I misunderstand, but that would be a lot less messy than dumping stuff on your head...

Steph

•  

steph2.0

Quote from: Denise on December 20, 2017, 05:37:49 PM
This made me smile.  Thanks

Isn't it cool how smiles are so contagious?

•  

steph2.0

Quote from: Jessica on December 20, 2017, 05:45:26 PM
You look so happy!

Only because I was (and am!)

The lady said, "Smile if you want to." I really really wanted to.

•  

steph2.0

Well, as promised, I went to a group therapy session tonight that was also combined with a holiday celebration. It actually turned out to be more therapy than celebration, but that's ok. The relevant thing is I wore the same outfit that I'd worn to the party last Saturday, and I promised pics to shut up satisfy Kathy due to her requirement of, "Pics or it didn't happen."

So with no further ado, here I am in one of my favorite new outfits.

Sorry if I busted your monitor...

Steph

•  

Jayne01

You look beautiful. That smile has become a permanent feature in all the photos I've seen. I love it. It is also very contagious because it always generates a big smile on my face.

I am so happy for you Steph, I mean Ms Stephanie Rhapsody Bensinger.
  •