Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

The Stephanie Chronicles

Started by steph2.0, September 17, 2017, 11:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Megan.

Steph,  you look fab-u-lous! And a lovely smile to boot.

X.

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

•  

SadieBlake

Quote from: Steph2.0 on December 21, 2017, 01:03:46 AM
Possibly I misunderstand the way the F works. I thought it directly suppressed DHT, and blockers and E go after the T. I don't know how the entire process works, so does eliminating T also eliminate any possibility of DHT?

Good point. Maybe I'll start using it all over my head.

According to the package, the effects wear off if you stop using it, and things will eventually end up where they started. Of course, they're not considering the cocktail we're taking with it.

Your terminology is a little confusing to me, though. Considering what I'm using is a topical liquid or foam, I would say I use it, not take it. You seem to imply here's a way to ingest it somehow. Maybe I misunderstand, but that would be a lot less messy than dumping stuff on your head...

Steph

No, you understand finasteride correctly, I was speaking imprecisely and T is something I talk about often, I never think about dht.

And here's to hoping that minoxidil will be permanent in its effects, I'm extremely wary of drug side effects, wouldn't want to have to take the stuff forever.

As to take vs use, I think that stems from my time in the medical / pharma industry, if it's FDA approved I would default to "take" irrespective of the mode of administration :-). (Mind you minoxidil has been tested systemically if memory serves.)

On the other hair:
Quote from: Steph2.0 on December 21, 2017, 12:43:54 AM
Is a little more time under anesthesia really that bad compared to all the trauma of the hair removal via electrolysis? Laser isn't an option for me, being naturally blonde shading into gray. I have to wonder whether the surgeon and/or anesthesiologist are really taking the patient's overall well-being into account as much as possible incremental risk to themselves in surgery. Obviously some docs don't have a problem with it.

Time under anesthesia, especially general anesthesia is quite traumatic to the body and efficient speed dictates much of a surgeon's skill set so yes, I count the dozen hours I spent on electrolysis extremely well spent, and I'd add that every bit of trauma to the skin being used in the procedure concerned me -- I'd have done electrolysis even with a surgeon that doesn't require it. I think I also noted a few posts back that even the very small chance of hair follicles surviving the procedure scared me and having heard of quite a few women who'd experienced internal hair growth post-op terrified me.

My $0.02, go with electrolysis, as always ymmv!
🌈👭 lesbian, troublemaker ;-) 🌈🏳️‍🌈
  •  

KathyLauren

Quote from: Steph2.0 on December 21, 2017, 01:32:08 AMhere I am in one of my favorite new outfits.
I'll shut up I am very satisfied now!  You look gorgeous, hun!
Sorry if I busted your monitor...
No, my monitor is smiling, just like I am.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Faith

Quote...here I am in one of my favorite new outfits. Sorry if I busted your monitor ...

.. well .. don't be lazy ... my own words .. usually I start with "I need more coffee", that doesn't seem to fit here so I'll go with:
Awesome! I hope that some day I can look even half as happy and comfortable.

oh, and I love the shoes, they look comfy.
I left the door open, only a few came through. such is my life.

•  

steph2.0

[quote author=Faith link=topic=228563.msg2063946#msg2063946 date=1513860148
Awesome! I hope that some day I can look even half as happy and comfortable.

oh, and I love the shoes, they look comfy.
[/quote]

Thanks Faith. With the way you're constantly pushing the envelope, and with your awesome wife's help, you'll get there.

Oh, the shoes! Easy Spirit. I have the ones in the picture and some 2" pumps, and they're all as comfortable as tennis shoes. If I could afford them, all my shoes would be from Easy Spirit, but alas, the budget...

- Steph

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

steph2.0

This is a story about the power of kindness.

Come on Sherman, let's jump in the Wayback Machine...

~~~~~~

The date is June 21st, 2017. Though I had my own therapist in Orlando, I decided to give an open group therapy session closer to home a try. Sue and I took cupcakes to share, because we had something to celebrate: this was the day I started HRT.

I don't recall what I wore, but I'm sure that that early it would have been at best androgynous, probably my women's jeans and a button down top. Definitely no makeup. I did my best to keep a smile on my face, but I was pretty scared and uncomfortable.

A few minutes later a very friendly and vivacious older woman came in and joined the group (by older I mean she was about my age, not like most of the rest of the people there). Sue and I looked at each other in confusion. Wasn't this group supposed to be for trans people only? Why would a ciswoman be here?

We introduced ourselves, made our big announcement, and shared the cupcakes around for my "rebirthday." Everyone else introduced themselves in turn, and finally came around to the woman. Who, as it turns out, had transitioned 25 years ago. I'll call her Dee. She was very open about her life, and was there to talk about the occasional discomfort she still had when talking about her military background, since when she had served, there were no women in the position she once held.

Anyhow, Sue and I were in the corner on some bar stools, trying to be inconspicuous, and suddenly Dee stopped, slowly looked me up and down, and said, "Honey, you're going to do just fine." It was a long way to the floor from that bar stool for my jaw to drop. I had to lean over to pick it back up.

Forty five minutes later as we were heading out, she deliberately caught up with us in the lobby and told me, "HRT is going to work so well for you!" Out of all the people in the group, she singled me out to say such nice things to. At that time I was consumed by both elation over starting HRT, and almost crippling self-doubt, and it was exactly what I needed to hear, exactly when I needed to hear it. It was a kindness I will remember for the rest of my life.

~~~~~~

Back to the future...

I attended a few sessions afterward, but Dee never showed up again. Things had been going so well for me (and the office it was held in had such bad air conditioning) that I stopped going. But I kept thinking about her and her kindness, and also about how it would be nice to sit down and talk with someone my own age who had been there and done that.

I finally gathered my courage and emailed the therapist to ask her if she would pass my email info on to Dee and let her know I'd like to make contact. And Dee emailed me back. It turns out she's a pretty well-known LGBT activist, and spends so much time traveling that she doesn't get home much, so finding time to meet up would be tricky. It also turned out that the therapist was actually her daughter. We friended each other on Facebook, and I saw that she'd be back in town, and through an email learned that she would be attending her daughter's next therapy session. And that's where we went last night.

One day short of six months after starting HRT (today is the anniversary!) I finally got to see her again and thank her with a big hug for what she'd done for me. We hit it off again, and exchanged phone numbers with the intention of meeting up some time during the holidays while she's on vacation.

Her kindness to me six months ago showed me how valuable a kind word can be to someone just getting started. It's hard to think of myself as an old-timer here, but I've tried to take that lesson to heart, and is the reason I try to be extra nice to new people here.

I'm trying to pay it forward now.
- Steph

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

Megan.

What a wonderful story,  your fairy trans-mother! When you see her, tell her the Susan's gang all owe her a big hug for helping Stephanie into the world. X

•  

Jayne01

Quote from: Megan. on December 21, 2017, 08:22:53 AM
When you see her, tell her the Susan's gang all owe her a big hug for helping Stephanie into the world. X
(((((HUG))))) Here is my hug to pass on
  •  

KathyLauren

Here's my hug to pass on to her: ((((((Dee)))))).  And here's one for yourself, for sharing that beautiful story: ((((((Steph)))))).
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: KathyLauren on December 21, 2017, 11:09:18 AM
Here's my hug to pass on to her: ((((((Dee)))))).  And here's one for yourself, for sharing that beautiful story: ((((((Steph)))))).

Awwwww. You guyzzzzzz...

As an addendum to the story, and an indication of how far I've come in six short months: On the way home from that first meeting, Sue was really hungry, and wanted to stop for something to eat. I was terrified of going into even a McDonalds (and not only because of the food), and wouldn't let her stop even at a drive-through. She was pretty frustrated with me, and that just added to the anxiety.

Last night - and you've seen the pictures of how I was dressed - I asked her where we were going to eat.

We ended up in a Chili's. And it was good.

Steph

•  

Megan.

Welcome to your boring, normal... happy life. X

•  

steph2.0

I have discovered Newton's Law of Trans.

For every happiness, there is an equal and opposite unhappiness.

I finally viscerally understand Laurie's pain. I just took my evening dose of hormones. Out of habit. Not because I think there's any real point to it.

A friend - I'll call him L -  was coming over today. He hadn't met me since I started transitioning. We used to fly ultralights together in the old days. I actually thought I'd lost him when I'd told him six weeks ago what I was doing, to the point where when we went on our big road trip to Tennessee, I didn't bother to arrange an overnight stay at his house as I used to, or even call to meet for lunch as we drove by. Yet last week he'd contacted me to arrange a visit when he was going to be in the area. Surprisingly, he wasn't the problem today. Though he was in no way complimentary, neither was he critical. He made an effort to use the right name, I took him for a flight, and the visit was good, ending with a renewal of the old offer to stop by his place when we got into the area. Pretty positive outcome for the day, right? Well, that was just a small part of a very long day. Notably, he never used any pronouns. The rest of the story revolves around them.

L had seemed ambivalent on the phone, still wondering whether this was some kind of elaborate practical joke. So I decided I needed to make myself look as good as I could, within the limitations of it being a casual kind of day and having to get into and fly the plane. I wore women's jeans and a fitted, button down 3/4 sleeve red top with flowers embroidered on it. The princess seams enhanced my bustline, and I considered just wearing a tank top underneath, with the shirt unbuttoned enough to see the top of it, but instead decided to wear my padded bra to make it more obvious. I really wanted this to work well today, and it was the 4th combination of tops and undershirts I tried before I was happy with the look. I did my face and hair the way I usually do, though today I went a tiny bit lighter on the eyeliner and mascara, trying for a subtle, natural look. I was pretty happy with the end result.

It's a good thing I learned how to act over 50 years of pretending to be male. I found out how fast I can click back into acting mode.

Shortly after L arrived, the UPS truck showed up with Christmas gifts. As I started walking across the yard with a big smile on my face (Christmas gifts!), he called out, "How you doin' today, sir?" Click. Keep smiling, reach up into the truck and get the package, and wish the driver Merry Christmas. He looked a little confused, but there was no comment. OK, >-bleeped-< happens...

L and I decided to grab lunch. Since my court date, my favorite place to go is where we we ended up having a party after our group left the courthouse. I knew it was a safe space where the staff already knew my story, everyone was always cheerful and happy to see me, and there would be no awkwardness. We took a seat anywhere, and our bright, friendly waitress took our drink order. When she came back she took L's order, then turned smiling to me and said, "And what can I get you, sir?" Bam. Click. Smile back. Place the order. Melt down inside. Not here. Not in my safe space!

Now what? It was time to try something new. When she came back I stood up, smiling, and told her I wanted to show her something, like I was asking her to celebrate with me. I showed her my new drivers license, and pointed out the "F" on it. She congratulated me, then apologized. If she had stopped there, I would have recovered. Instead, she said, "I didn't know!" She didn't know. Long hair out and brushed, obvious bustline, eyeliner, mascara, lipstick, colorful bracelets, fancy necklace, embroidered top. "Sirs" do not dress that way in this part of central Florida. Second order click. Smile, touch the shoulder, I understand. Melt melt.

When we got back home, we took my dog for a walk and I showed L around the neighborhood. Talked to a few neighbors, then my dog trotted off with one of them for her promised daily treats. I caught up with them at my neighbor's house, where he told my dog, "Looks like he found you!" Third order click. Smile. Come on Maggie, let's go home. Melt.

We went for a 45 minute flight, the highlight of my day. Made low passes on all my favorite local fields, let L fly for a while, then made a flawless three-point landing back at home. We talked a little more, and L left. One more walk with Maggie before dark. Three houses from home, the first click came off. One house from home, I lost the second click and my face got wet. I made it to the kitchen before the last click released, and with it all the pent-up frustration, disappointment, and pain.

How much is enough? I really worked at it today. If that's not good enough, why try at all? Look what I've done to myself: I'm someone the world sees as a guy, but now I've saddled myself with a girl's name. My records say F, but everyone sees M. I've just made everything worse instead of better.

OK, the UPS guy: He saw me from a distance. But if I can't pass from a distance, what chance do I have up close where he can see this old man face?

Ok, my neighbor: Force of habit. I get it.

But the waitress: "I didn't know." Those words will haunt me forever.

I got home and texted my friend Cassie. She'd offered a hug earlier when I texted her about the UPS guy, but I declined then, thinking I'd get over that one thing. Now I asked for that hug, and we texted back and forth until I couldn't read the screen any more. She did her best to console me, but the hurt was more than glowing words could fix.

Another friend texted out of the blue, and I tried not to spread the pain any further, but she saw through it and I confessed. Her solution: screw what people think, live your life, and make it their problem to adjust. I hear that a lot. I guess I'm different. Maybe too weak for that. But my goal isn't to force the world to get used to me as a guy in a dress with a girl's name. My goal is to have the world see me on the outside as I know myself to be on the inside. And apparently I'm failing miserably at it.

Should I have forced the subject? Embarrass them instead of absorbing the pain myself? Would that make the situation better, or just cause resentment?

I have no idea where to go from here. I'll keep taking my meds. I'm not sure why.

Steph (a girl's name)

DAMN TAPATALK ONLY SHOWS THE LAST FIVE PARAGRAPHS. Tell it to show the web view if you care to see the whole story.

•  

Michelle_P

Oh, Steph!  I'm so sorry this happened to you.

All I can offer is that I seem to get clocked more when my confidence is down, when I'm nervous or apprehensive.  And naturally, being misgendered kicks me right into that space, turning a bad day into a very bad day.
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

Laurie

Well Dear Stephanie,

And yes that is who you are, Stephanie. No one else, Just Stephanie just the same girl you have always been.
You were Stephanie yesterday. You were Stephanie last week and the week before. And you are Stephanie today, REGARDLESS of a few misgenderings. And tomorrow you will continue being Stephanie and so on from tomorrow on. If you are doubting it take out that dang license and read again what it says on it. It says right there Stephanie Rhapsody B##### F for female ! Read it and believe it! You are that woman it shows there.
  A few mishaps does not make you a he or a Mr. or a Sir and you damn well know it. Now pick your sorry tear streaked person up and be proud of who you are. You have worked for this all your like lady, now be a lady and carry yourself like one. You are not like me our problems are not the same at all. Take those pills because you know they are right for you and for you it is not just a useless habit.

Hugs,
  Laurie
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

LizK

Sorry you had such a rough day, being misgendered sucks bigtime. Maybe you should correct a few people if for no other reason other than to know that you can. Gentle, polite but firm...

Some days can be really cruddy when you are transitioning and this sounds like one of those.  Some jerk misgendering you changes nothing. Give yourself some time and get you confidence back. Being misgendered is quite often more about another persons agenda and is done deliberately to try and embarrass. Don't give them the satisfaction.

Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

Drexy/Drex

Impressive  steph i remember our earlier dialogue.....wow what can i say 😊
I wouldnt worry about it  you look great and it will only get better
Who cares what knuckle draggers think
Everything
  Louder
   Than
Everything
    Else
  •  

Faith

Steph, I am so sorry to read what you went through. I felt it in every word and to be clear, I am not trying to make light of your pain or dismiss it. Never would I do such a thing.

People misgender CIS people, people congratulate pregnant people - who aren't pregnant. People make mistakes. Don't take their mistakes to heart. You know and we know who you are.

I am not eloquent before coffee and barely afterwards. I hope my intent is there if not the right words
I left the door open, only a few came through. such is my life.

•  

KathyLauren

Oh, Steph, honey, I am so sorry that you were surrounded by d**kh**ds today.  Make no mistake, that's what it is: it's not you; it's them.  People have their own agendas that they feel obligated to push onto other people.  "Didn't know", my a**.  Of course they knew you were a "ma'am".  They were just trying to make you feel bad.

Don't give them the satisfaction.  You are Stepanie.  You are an 'F', both on your license and in your heart.  And you are beautiful.  Don't ever forget that.
  •  

Megan.

Quote from: Steph2.0 on December 22, 2017, 11:04:29 PM
...My goal is to have the world see me on the outside as I know myself to be on the inside. And apparently I'm failing miserably at it.

We know the wonderful woman you are on the inside and outside. I'm not sure it's possible for your outside to ever truly capture all your internal beauty,  we'd be blinded if that happened!

Stay strong hun. (((hugs))). X

•  

steph2.0

Thank you, friends. I love you all so much for trying to help.

Staring at the ceiling, three things occur to me.

First, I truly do not believe anybody set out with the intention of hurting me yesterday. The UPS guy probably gave the most honest assessment of all. He was just doing his job, trying to be respectful and cheerful to a customer, and spoke based on what he perceived to be the truth. And he saw a guy. That tells me I just out and out failed to pass. Why should I blame him for being an honest human being. The fault lies in myself.

The waitress was different, but no more to blame. She was genuinely happy to see us, was very nice, and was extremely embarrassed when I pointed out her mistake. I felt bad for making her feel bad. I really wanted to take her aside and try to get some idea how it had all happened, but it would have just made an awkward situation more intolerable.

My neighbor is one of the nicest people I know. He has gone out of his way to take me to dinner as my new self, and treats me no different than he ever did, including the joking around we do. And maybe that's part of the problem. It may be that around the neighborhood, while I am always in female garb now, and usually with my hair untied, I often don't get very fancied up with makeup, etc., and I don't take too much care with my voice. In one respect that's nice, as it shows that I've lost the old self-consciousness, and have become comfortable around my friends - But because of that I'm probably still being viewed as the same old Steve, who's using a slightly different name and wearing different styles now. No reason to treat him differently. This is something I intend to address at my party. I've dialed back on my original idea of making everyone write things down and throw them in a fire, but I do intend to be completely dolled up, and through a ritual will make it graphically clear that Steve, he, him, his, no longer exist, and if they have any respect for me, then Stephanie, she, her, hers are all that remains. Maybe it'll work(?)

Second thought: why am I so reluctant to correct anyone? Why should I take on this pain to avoid awkward situations? Why should I even care if I hurt someone after they hurt me? Trying to figure this out led me down some dark alleys. First is, I don't think I'd have any problem correcting anyone if I believed that were doing it intentionally. Eye for an eye. But when good-intentioned people mess up in spite of themselves, I feel the pain I'd inflict on them, and would rather they stay happy. Why should I deliberately spread pain to people who don't deserve it? That thought actually makes me feel a little good, as it could be considered a feminine trait. But the other thought is darker, and that's the possibility that I can't force them to see me as feminine because I don't really believe it myself. I am not male, and have never felt that way, but I feel like I'm in purgatory, some floating halfway state without discernible gender. Everything is confused, nothing makes sense. I thought I was projecting confidence until I got knocked down yesterday, but maybe Michelle is right, and I wasn't as sure as I thought I was. Whatever my state was yesterday morning, my confidence is certainly shot today.

Final thought, about the value of our internal identification vs. what people see. I hear a lot that all that matters is how we feel inside, and external validation is useless. If that's true, why transition at all? It's how the world perceives and treats me that completes my identification as a woman. If I can't make that work, what's the point of this all? Sure, I've achieved the technical goal of forcing the federal and state governments to put an F on some paperwork. I've always been good at jumping through hoops. But it's just a letter that makes zero impact on someone's perception of who they're looking at.

So those are my thoughts on this gray morning. My plan today is to give it one more shot. Get cleaned up, try everything i know how to do, and fly to breakfast. Attempt to fake it until I make it, and see what I can accomplish. If I fail today, I don't have a backup plan.

- Steph

•