Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

The Stephanie Chronicles

Started by steph2.0, September 17, 2017, 11:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faith

QuoteFinal thought, about the value of our internal identification vs. what people see. I hear a lot that all that matters is how we feel inside, and external validation is useless. If that's true, why transition at all? It's how the world perceives and treats me that completes my identification as a woman. If I can't make that work, what's the point of this all?

Silly girl. Transition is for us, not others. There may be some truth in all that you typed out and it's good to unload it, that isn't one of them.

QuoteSo those are my thoughts on this gray morning. My plan today is to give it one more shot. Get cleaned up, try everything i know how to do, and fly to breakfast. Attempt to fake it until I make it, and see what I can accomplish. If I fail today, I don't have a backup plan.

You're not faking, you're uncertain. You're doubting yourself based on the actions of others. You only fail if you stop trying - that is your backup plan. Keep trying to see yourself as you know you are. Or, better yet, stop trying and just KNOW
I left the door open, only a few came through. such is my life.

•  

Devlyn

Faith beat me to it. You're not transitioning for anyone but yourself.  :)

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: Faith on December 23, 2017, 08:31:34 AM
Silly girl. Transition is for us, not others. There may be some truth in all that you typed out and it's good to unload it, that isn't one of them.

Quote from: Devlyn MarieFaith beat me to it. You're not transitioning for anyone but yourself.  :)

I applaud both of you for having the strength of will and sense of self to be able to exist independently of the society you're immersed in - for being so strong that misgendering doesn't bother you at all. I don't think I'll ever get to that place.

And yes, I guess my backup plan has to be to keep on trying. I've gotten to a place where there are no other realistic alternatives.

- Stephanie

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

Devlyn

Quote from: Steph2.0 on December 23, 2017, 10:12:12 AM
Quote from: Faith on December 23, 2017, 08:31:34 AM

Quote from: Devlyn MarieFaith beat me to it. You're not transitioning for anyone but yourself.  :)

I applaud both of you for having the strength of will and sense of self to be able to exist independently of the society you're immersed in - for being so strong that misgendering doesn't bother you at all. I don't think I'll ever get to that place.

And yes, I guess my backup plan has to be to keep on trying. I've gotten to a place where there are no other realistic alternatives.

- Stephanie

It comes down to counting what you do have, not what you don't. If passing is your goal, count the passes, not the clockings. You want a list of the positives, not the negatives.  :)

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on December 23, 2017, 10:42:25 AMIt comes down to counting what you do have, not what you don't. If passing is your goal, count the passes, not the clockings. You want a list of the positives, not the negatives.  :)

Now that is something that gets no argument from me.  I acknowledge that I have a bad tendency to focus on the negatives. Fifty years of dysphoria can kinda make you a pessimist. I'm working on it.

- Stephanie

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

Megan.

Quote from: Steph2.0 on December 23, 2017, 11:05:27 AM
Now that is something that gets no argument from me.  I acknowledge that I have a bad tendency to focus on the negatives. Fifty years of dysphoria can kinda make you a pessimist. I'm working on it.

- Stephanie
Never argue with a person in a Santa hat! X

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

•  

steph2.0

Quote from: Megan. on December 23, 2017, 11:11:19 AM
Never argue with a person in a Santa hat! X

Naughty or niiiice? Or both?

(Ho ho... Ho?)

•  

Megan.

If it's Devlyn,  then definitely naughty!

•  

Anne Blake

Hi Steph,

I feel your pain. Last evening Deb and I were at a gathering at a friends house and I had the chance to catch up with an old friend from our old church. We spent quite some time talking stuff, lives, families, interests, etc. The short of it was when we parted he looked into my eyes and said, "Good to see you brother", with full intentionality. I was able to hold back the tears until we could get out the door, then I was a wreck all night.

Another story, two days ago I had my first mammogram (not as bad as expected) and I had a chance to talk withy the technician. When we hit on hormones she eluded to the reason I was taking them was to grow breasts. My response of while the breasts were a big part of the original intent (and great), my ability to feel, cry, understand and empathize was so much greater than body changes and totally worth all the efforts and trials. She had no idea of the head and heart changes from hormones and hadn't a clue that guys think and feel different than women.....wow, that was a surprise for me. She told me that she was going to give her husband a bit more of a break when he leaks out too much stupid.

You and I spent a night crying and doubting and questioning.......for me this was not something possible a couple of years ago. Yes, I really want to "Pass" and to be able to go out as stealth and I will cry when read, either unintentionally or due to the anger or idiocy of others........but the thought of going back, even if I could, has not entered my mind over this. At the gathering I interacted with many folks, some of them know of my life and kindly accepted me and some didn't. Most of my current life is out and about with only the rare uncomfortable event. I think that I have read of this being common in Steph's life lately as well. 

So, what now? I suggest that you pull out your old driver's license and compare pictures and tell me if you notice any differences. Look at yourself, talk with friends, do some retail therapy and feel the joy of being you.....and then please tell me to shut up and quit crying and do the same thing. By the way, how long have you been on hormones and how much of a change has come about with them? Give them and some more socialization and war paint changes time to take effect.

Please forgive me if I am to blunt but I am still crying myself.
Tia Anne
  •  

Laurie

Stephanie.

Don't make me come out there and hunt you down. I'm not ready yet. Besides, I'm not in a good mood this morning and your nonsense isn't helping. I love ya girl but I swear, when I do get out there I am going to slap you up the side of your head right after I give you a ((Hug)).

QuoteSo those are my thoughts on this gray morning. My plan today is to give it one more shot. Get cleaned up, try everything i know how to do, and fly to breakfast. Attempt to fake it until I make it, and see what I can accomplish. If I fail today, I don't have a backup plan.

I do not like this dumb idea at all. First problem with it is that you think you have something to prove.(in bold black) You do not! All you are doing is setting yourself up to fail. Let me ask you a question Stephanie. How long have you been actively transitioning? Hell while I am at it, exactly what have you done to transition physically? Based on those two answers, why the hell do you think you are going to pass 100% of the time? Is it because you have long hair? It can't be that. Anyone can have long hair including me, mine is almost shoulder length, but I am never going to pass with my own hair, not with this damn bald top. Oh perhaps it's because you wear makeup? Nope, these days more men are getting into facials, manicures, foundations, contouring and concealers and moisturizers. some  are even using eye makeup. The days of makeup being a thing for women only are waning. Well then, it must be clothes. Wrong again clothes are becoming more androgynous. Skinny jeans for guys, more colorful shirts, pantyhose and even skirts and jumpers. Jewelry? Now come on, Ms Stephanie, you know better than that. No, not jewelry.
  Well that knocks the hell out of that! Your personal expectations are set too damn high for where you are in your transition. The fact is you are not going to pass all the time, especially at this stage in the process. As a friend of mine is fond of telling me, "You my dear have a thinking error"

On to the maroon part "Get cleaned up, try everything i know how to do",  Okay in this one you are right but not for the silly objective you have set yourself. No, you are going to do this because it is what women do. Your my dear are a woman so it is what YOU do, for YOURSELF. That is the only important reason to do it. You do it because it makes you feel good.

On to the green. "see what I can accomplish". See top section with particular attention to "All you are doing is setting yourself up to fail', "expectations are set tooo damn high".  You my dear have unrealistic expectations, you have a thinking error.

Lastly " If I fail today, I don't have a backup plan." This is you most harmful statement of all. You have already defeated yourself by saying this. You are expecting this outcome. You have no hope of avoiding it IN YOUR MIND. You know damn well, if you go looking for failure you will find it. This is what you have set yourself up to do with this unrealistic, useless challenge of of yours. Passing is nice yes, and you chalk up another win when you do, but being clocked is going to happen, especially here at the start of your transition.
  Put your big girl panties on, pull them up, and go out to face the world. Not as a challenge, but with your head held high for the brave thing you have undertaken.. becoming the woman within that you have begun to show on the outside. "begun" That is the operable word there. You, dear Stephanie, are a work in progress. You have a long way to go yet, but you will get there if you keep that goal in mind and not let these annoyances derail you. Now stop this silly nonsense so I can get back to feeling sorry for myself. There are priorities you know.

Hugs,
  Laurie
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

steph2.0

Quote from: Laurie on December 23, 2017, 12:23:56 PMDon't make me come out there and hunt you down. I'm not ready yet. Besides, I'm not in a good mood this morning and your nonsense isn't helping. I love ya girl but I swear, when I do get out there I am going to slap you up the side of your head right after I give you a ((Hug)).

"All you are doing is setting yourself up to fail', "expectations are set tooo damn high".  You my dear have unrealistic expectations, you have a thinking error.

Holy...

Thank you ma'am, may I have another?

I'll write more when I get home, but FYI, Sue and I are sitting in a restaurant near the airport in Crystal River, and I'm getting Ladied and Ma'amed by everyone.

So Pththththththhhhhhh.

Obviously feeling better. And I distracted you from your own self-imposed misery, didn't I?

-Stephanie

•  

Laurie

Quote from: Steph2.0 on December 23, 2017, 01:12:22 PM
Holy...

Thank you ma'am, may I have another?

I'll write more when I get home, but FYI, Sue and I are sitting in a restaurant near the airport in Crystal River, and I'm getting Ladied and Ma'amed by everyone.

So Pththththththhhhhhh.

Obviously feeling better. And I distracted you from your own self-imposed misery, didn't I?

-Stephanie

You are so getting slapped...
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

Michelle_P

Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

Devlyn

Laurie's playing the "So help me, if I have to stop this car..." card, but we're all in back seats in different states!  >:-)
  •  

Megan.

Are we nearly there yet? [emoji23]

•  

steph2.0

I'll turn this forum around and go straight home! (Which I am BTW, after a bumpy flight.)

- Steph

•  

Jayne01

My dear friend Stephanie,
I just got caught up on your thread. I am very sorry you had such a bad day. You lost your confidence and your day continued going downhill. You will have bad days, and they are going to suck. Have another read of Laurie's post. She said everything that I couldn't find the words for, including slapping you up side of the head right after giving you a hug.

Being able to pass involves having confidence in yourself. The UPS guy misgendered you for some unknown reason. You assumed it was because you don't pass. You then started to lose your confidence and stopped believing in yourself. When you stopped believing that you are Stephanie, a woman, was the moment you set yourself up to fall. People will continue to misgender you for any number of reasons, that is on them not you. I have many times misgendered cis women calling them "mate" or "buddy". Not because I thought they were men but because my mind was distracted and thinking of something else and I had just spent the entire day interacting with only men. My misgendered had absolutely nothing to do with the woman I was talking to.

You are Stephanie and you know it. You are not transitioning so that some random UPS guy, or waitress can call you ma'am. You are transitioning so that you are comfortable in your own skin and able to function from day to day without being crippled by dysphoria.

I am late catching up with this thread, so I won't say too much more as I see you are already feeling better. Bad days will happen from time to time. Up to this point you have had a dream run with your transition. You have achieved so much in a short time. Just treat this day as a lesson that things won't always go smoothly. But you are a big girl now and will bounce back. And we are always here to help pick you up (or slap you up side of the head if necessary!).

Again, I am sorry you had such a crappy day.

Jayne
  •  

Kendra

I was misgendered at a furniture store yesterday.  Might have been my voice (half year training which I've now bailed on - just scheduled with Yeson VFS in Seoul).  Or more likely because I was focused on other things and probably walked in with mismatched body language/gestures.  Half a century of habits I am working to change - things that have nothing to do with makeup, clothing, hair.  Of course I don't appreciate being misgendered but it happens 1/4 of the time, plus another 1/4 where people aren't sure. 

Having that happen several times in a row can erode anyone's confidence.  The catch-22 is a certain amount of self-confidence matters in presenting our correct gender.  You did the right thing not breaking down on the spot but yeah it ain't always easy.

If anyone intentionally misgenders to be a jerk, that's a completely different case and I don't hold back in my response. 

When I get misgendered by accident I remind myself it's just that - an accident - to avoid the downward spiral. 
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

LizK

Quote from: Steph2.0 on December 23, 2017, 08:10:11 AM
Final thought, about the value of our internal identification vs. what people see. I hear a lot that all that matters is how we feel inside, and external validation is useless. If that's true, why transition at all? It's how the world perceives and treats me that completes my identification as a woman. If I can't make that work, what's the point of this all? Sure, I've achieved the technical goal of forcing the federal and state governments to put an F on some paperwork. I've always been good at jumping through hoops. But it's just a letter that makes zero impact on someone's perception of who they're looking at.

So those are my thoughts on this gray morning. My plan today is to give it one more shot. Get cleaned up, try everything i know how to do, and fly to breakfast. Attempt to fake it until I make it, and see what I can accomplish. If I fail today, I don't have a backup plan.

- Steph

Steph as someone who looks obviously trans there is not enough makeup or surgeons in the world that will ever make me look even remotely like a cis woman....so what do I do...I have crippling Dysphoria since as long as I can remember and I can't live with that any longer. So I had to make my peace with not passing, but as you well know this stuff is never as easy as that.

Once I began to stop trying to "look" cis and concentrated on letting Liz be Liz, things began to improve...I sat and I watch mannerisms, listened to voices, took note of clothes sense, body language and interactions between people...at the end of all this I was certain that I would have all the information in order to be able to "pass". The truth however is that what I learned very quickly is that there is no one way to be a woman. Many of the "clockable" traits we talk about here I noted in Cis women as well. So I guess I worked out there is no one way to be trans and there is no right way to be a woman.

Since I have begun fulltime about 9 months ago I expected to be misgendered at every turn and in the end what I discovered is that " internal identification " is important becuase it goes so much to how I feel about myself and therefore how I interact with the world. Simply because someone perceives you differently doesn't make it right.

When I am out in public I do not get misdgendered...leave that to my family ....so why is it that someone who is clearly trans  and "non-passing" does not get misgendered? I can only put it down to confidence and being who I am, I am a woman and believe it with all my being and this I think projects in the way I move through the world.

With Self acceptance (Yes Laurie...Self acceptance again!! LOL) I find I care much less about how I am perceived. I don't know the last time I misgendered in public...family and friends can be a whole other ball game. SIGH!!
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

steph2.0

[Once again I note that if you're reading this in Tapatalk, it refuses to show long entries. Tell it to show the Web View to read the whole posting.]

I had started typing this up as a reply to a posting in my friend Jayne's personal thread, but realized it would be more properly posted here. So here is my story related to what Jayne said:

Quote from: Jayne01 on December 21, 2017, 10:15:30 AM
I find the GD is often made worse by seemingly small things like seeing a group of female friends socialising especially if they are of similar age to me. I also get dysphoric with things that I can never experience, like seeing a group of girls playing and having fun together. Things like that I have to just let go otherwise I will drive myself crazy. It's not like time could be wound back to make me a little girl. But the dysphoria has a way of stirring up an otherwise good day with these kind of feelings. That's when I have to just dissociate for a while. Close my eyes and try to imagine myself being female in the present moment.

Wow. That triggers so many memories. Here are three from my past, involving the people I used to work with.

In my last real job (15 years ago now) I managed the IT department for a small food company. We had refurbished the house next door to headquarters for the use of the marketing department. Headquarters was somewhat sterile office space, but the marketing house was warm and beautiful inside, with a kitchen that had coffee and tea always available, a nice walkway through the woods and past a pond with a fountain, and second story views of the oaks and poplars. Marketing always got the best of the hardware, and I maintained them along with their independent network and file and backup servers.

You'd think I would have to be over there all the time to keep that hardware running. You'd be right that I was there a lot, but not because of the hardware. I ran that 33 million dollar company entirely on Apple Macintoshes, and they needed very little maintenance. The reason I was there as much as possible is because almost the entire department was women, and they just loved me. Almost as much as I loved just hanging around with them. There was no sexual tension involved. We were all just good friends and it was such a warm safe space for me to be in. I always hated going back to my cold stark office in the main building.

To give an idea how well we got along, one year, some time in September or October, the manager of marketing asked if she could borrow one of my ties. Yeah, I had to wear those nooses back then, but I made the best of it, with colorful fun designs, and even some with cartoon characters, etc. The marketing manager told me that she wanted to loan a friend of hers my tie that had Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd on it for some function they were attending. No problem. It went away for a weekend, came back the next week, and was forgotten.

Fast forward to the end of October and the company Halloween party. I wasn't into costumes back then, considering that I was in costume all the time, and was never allowed to take it off. But every woman in the marketing department came as "Steve." They had made color copies of my tie, wore Oxford shirts, pleated Dockers and glasses, and tied their hair back in a ponytail. I wish I could find a picture of it. It was glorious at the same time it was deeply disturbing. I had never heard the word "dysphoria" back then, but I knew who and what I was, and also knew I couldn't act on it. They were just showing their love for me and joking around. They had no idea what I was feeling. While they were being me, I wanted to be them. One of them in particular kept getting comments about how much she looked like me. In my head, I heard that as I looked like her. Except she was so cute and had those bumps under her shirt. All I could do was suppress the confusion, roll my eyes, and smile along.

The second story also took place in the marketing house. While everyone else worked 8-5, I usually came in at 9 and worked until 6. I could often get more done in that last hour, once everyone left, than I could most of the rest of the day. I found myself in marketing at 5pm, and my best friend J was still there, wrapping up a project. We got to talking, and she said something like, "Here, let's try something." I had been growing my hair for about 5 years at that point, and it was well below my shoulders, as it is now. She turned my chair around, pulled my hair loose, brushed it out, and put it into a single fat braid. She put my hair tie back on the end, and put a feather in it. Oh. My. God. At the same time I was luxuriating in the feeling, I was almost frozen in terror. Did she know? What would other people think? I don't ever want this to end! I was so petrified I could barely move, but I couldn't stop grinning like a fool, either. You know that sound of a screeching needle across a phonograph record? That was playing non-stop in my head. I finally went back to my office to wrap up the day, knowing there'd be few people to see me, then locked up the building and went home. I hated taking it out before bed. I knew I'd never have it again. How odd to know that I could have it again now if I wanted to. J doesn't know it, but her actions that day formed a bond between us that I will always treasure. To this day, she is the only one from the old days that I regularly communicate with.

The third story happened after I'd given my notice that I was leaving the company to move to Florida. During my last week there, I was told that I would be taken to a goodbye lunch. When I got to the restaurant, I was met by all the women from the marketing department, plus a few from sales and accounting. It was a huge crew, and they were all women who wanted to show their love and respect to me. It was such a warm and loving meal, even though we ribbed each other mercilessly as we always did. It's not likely they thought of it this way, but to me it felt like they had completely accepted me as another woman in their circle. It made leaving even harder. I'm tearing up just thinking about it.

So Jayne, I know viscerally exactly what you're going through. Hang tough and you will some day be in that circle, too. You're already well on your way.

- Steph

•