Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

The Stephanie Chronicles

Started by steph2.0, September 17, 2017, 11:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steph2.0

Quote from: Anne Blake on December 23, 2017, 11:24:53 AM
Hi Steph,

I feel your pain. Last evening Deb and I were at a gathering at a friends house and I had the chance to catch up with an old friend from our old church. We spent quite some time talking stuff, lives, families, interests, etc. The short of it was when we parted he looked into my eyes and said, "Good to see you brother", with full intentionality. I was able to hold back the tears until we could get out the door, then I was a wreck all night.

Hi Tia,

Thank you for sharing this with me. I was beginning to think that I was somehow broken for allowing such things to get to me. So many people are telling me to suck it up, buttercup, but my emotions are real and valid. Whether my reactions are over the top or even logical doesn't matter. When I hurt, I cry. And eventually I get better. Having all my friends out there watching my back makes the recovery faster, but I think the catharsis is just a necessary balance to the good times, as long as it doesn't lead to something really bad.

I'm so sorry that your "brother" doesn't get it. I'm not religious, but hearing something like that seems so hypocritical from a fellow church-goer.

But look at how far you've come. I so wish I were already to the point you are. I have so far to go, so much pain to endure, and you've come out of it all so beautifully. You have no obligation to take such disrespect lying down. As Laurie points out, I am so early in the process, and I have probably developed unrealistic expectations based on all the good luck I've had so far. You, on the other hand, are to the point where you can expect positive feedback. When someone deliberately misgenders you like he did, you have every right to correct him, with malice if necessary. Such meanness shouldn't go unaddressed.

Another story, two days ago I had my first mammogram (not as bad as expected) and I had a chance to talk withy the technician. When we hit on hormones she eluded to the reason I was taking them was to grow breasts. My response of while the breasts were a big part of the original intent (and great), my ability to feel, cry, understand and empathize was so much greater than body changes and totally worth all the efforts and trials. She had no idea of the head and heart changes from hormones and hadn't a clue that guys think and feel different than women.....wow, that was a surprise for me. She told me that she was going to give her husband a bit more of a break when he leaks out too much stupid.

I guess I understand that there have been some changes, though I never really felt all that "dude-ish" before. I always had the tendency to cry over emotional things, though I had to suppress it hard. It wasn't easy. The biggest change for me is most of the anger is gone. I'm much more relaxed behind the wheel. Driving is no longer a competition, it's a cooperation to see how smoothly I can help things flow. You want to merge in? Sure, you aren't going to make me any later by getting in in front of me. You're welcome! I've watched in wonder and occasional alarm as a general outsider while guys do guy things. I never got it. While I rode trail bikes and sailed and flew small airplanes, I never thought it was to prove anything to anyone. It was to experience the joy of learning a new skill, and getting out into the woods, or lakes, or skies. Even now, I insist that my little car has a manual transmission, not for some chest-beating bragging rights, but for the deep satisfaction of a smooth pullout or a perfectly rev-matched shift. Same applies to airplanes. I want a taildragger for the happiness of a perfect grass-tickling three-point landing.

The only time I feel real anger any more is when I'm pressed for time or feel like I'm cornered by circumstances. I'll then get into a "hissy fit". Otherwise, when things go badly, I end up feeling sad instead of mad.

It's surprising that your tech had never noticed the differences. Where did she think the stupid was coming from?

You and I spent a night crying and doubting and questioning.......for me this was not something possible a couple of years ago. Yes, I really want to "Pass" and to be able to go out as stealth and I will cry when read, either unintentionally or due to the anger or idiocy of others........but the thought of going back, even if I could, has not entered my mind over this. At the gathering I interacted with many folks, some of them know of my life and kindly accepted me and some didn't. Most of my current life is out and about with only the rare uncomfortable event. I think that I have read of this being common in Steph's life lately as well.

Sounds very familiar. I have gone full-time, damn the consequences, and most interactions have been just fine. I think the situation with the waitress knocked me back so hard because of the complete unexpectedness of it by that person in that location. The UPS guy, hey whatever, I wasn't doing a good enough job presenting I guess. My neighbor, force of habit. Neither of those situations are unexpected, and wouldn't normally have affected me, if they'd happened on different days. Too much in too short a time.

QuoteSo, what now? I suggest that you pull out your old driver's license and compare pictures and tell me if you notice any differences. Look at yourself, talk with friends, do some retail therapy and feel the joy of being you.....and then please tell me to shut up and quit crying and do the same thing. By the way, how long have you been on hormones and how much of a change has come about with them? Give them and some more socialization and war paint changes time to take effect.

Please forgive me if I am to blunt but I am still crying myself.
Tia Anne

I've said it before: I'm aware of how lucky I am that I'm able to pull this off so soon. Today is only 6 months and 3 days since I started HRT, with only about 4 months on full-dose. I have had no other work done other than some hair removal and a new hairstyle, if that counts. So I understand I have no reasonable expectation of being completely accepted as I know myself to be, regardless of what it says on my drivers license. That I'm able to make it work a large part of the time makes me happy, while it also makes me feel guilty that others aren't having this kind of luck. Yes, I've been lectured on the guilt part, but once again, these are my feelings, and right or wrong, that's what I feel inside. As with everything else, I'm working on it.

As for pulling out the drivers license, I still gaze in wonder at the before and after picture I have. To be honest, that old picture was one of the worst that you could find of me. I generally didn't look that bad, though good luck ever finding a picture of me with a smile that showed teeth. The old "smiles" were more like a grimace. I just love what I'm becoming. And yes, I know I'm still in the pupal stage. Great things are coming.

My recovery from the last bout was, as always, going flying. I suspect some FAA medical examiners would want me to ground myself when I'm feeling as I did yesterday, but carving the air in a sweet machine, with Sue next to me, is so therapeutic. I always feel better after a flight. That, combined with going to lunch, where I was treated well and gendered correctly, was exactly what I needed to pull out of the doldrums.

So now do I have to fly west and give you a Laurie-style slap or two? You have something therapeutic you love to do. Whatever it is, grab Deb and go do it. We'll prop each other up when we start falling over. Your advice to me is excellent, and you should listen to the smart person who dispensed it.

Be well, and Merry Christmas.

Your friend,

Stephanie

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

KathyLauren

Quote from: Steph2.0 on December 24, 2017, 10:34:19 AMWhere did she think the stupid was coming from?
LOL!  I love it!   :D
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

steph2.0

Mixed bag today, but I'm not down.

The bad: I'd been avoiding walking Maggie to the other end of the neighborhood because my neighbor B, who is really supportive, but terrible with pronouns, has a houseful of family visiting. I have no idea how much they know about me, and last time I told B that I'd been avoiding his place to avoid awkwardness with his family he pooh-poohed the idea, and told me I was always welcome at his house, and nobody was going to give me a hard time. So finally around sunset, and at the extreme insistence of Maggie, I got myself fixed up, and headed off through the neighborhood. I gave myself a pep talk and owned my existence. As we walked by he called for us to join them, and despite introducing me as Steph, and my obvious feminine presentation, the inevitable happened, and he used "he." Yup. Ok. Wrap up the conversation, and gotta get Maggie home. See ya and Merry Christmas.

Oh well. Not gonna get me down today. But we're going to have a talk...

But... There was enough good to offset that crap. Everyone else was doing some flying today, so I rolled the plane out and got ready to go. As I sat at the end of the runway waiting for the oil to warm up, my neighbor D, who was already out flying, and who was one whom I had worried most about accepting me, called me on the radio: "Steph, are you holding there? I'm setting up for a fly-by." Awesome, getting "Stephed" by D on the radio!

But the coolest thing? Sue's sister occasionally sends overly schmaltzy E-cards, and a Christmas e-card came in today. As usual it was far too "darling" and Sue and I rolled our eyes at it. But... it was addressed to Sue and Stephanie.

Oy Gevalt. The schmaltz made me verklempt.  ;D

So, on balance, it was a pretty good day.

Stephanie

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

steph2.0

12:07 US Eastern Time.

Merry Christmas to all my friends around the world. My love to you all.

This is my first Christmas as:

Stephanie Rhapsody Bensinger

•  

KathyLauren

Merry Christmas, Stephanie!  I hope 2018 will be as awesome for you as 2017 was.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Faith

Steph, very happy for both you and Kathy on this momentous day.  I was never miserable at Christmas but I think this is the first one in a long time where I'm actually happy.
I left the door open, only a few came through. such is my life.

•  

Kendra

Stephanie, a merry first Christmas!  All the best. 

Kendra
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

Devlyn

Kendra's Christmas post is # 666! I knew I liked you for a reason!  >:-)

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Kendra

Ha!   Didn't realize that - wish I could claim the Devlyn made me do it.   :D
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on December 25, 2017, 01:45:09 PM
Kendra's Christmas post is # 666! I knew I liked you for a reason!  >:-)

Sure, Kendra's 666 [emoji48], and we've got the Devil Lynn [emoji83]... but now we also have...

MephiStepheles [emoji84]

•  

tgirlamg

Quote from: Steph2.0 on December 25, 2017, 02:29:57 PM
Sure, Kendra's 666 [emoji48], and we've got the Devil Lynn [emoji83]... bit now we also have...

MephiStepheles [emoji84]

Cue: Sympathy for the Devil...
"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment" ... Ralph Waldo Emerson 🌸

"The individual has always had to struggle from being overwhelmed by the tribe... But, no price is too high for the privilege of owning yourself" ... Rudyard Kipling 🌸

Let go of the things that no longer serve you... Let go of the pretense of the false persona, it is not you... Let go of the armor that you have worn for a lifetime, to serve the expectations of others and, to protect the woman inside... She needs protection no longer.... She is tired of hiding and more courageous than you know... Let her prove that to you....Let her step out of the dark and feel the light upon her face.... amg🌸

Ashley's Corner: https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247549.0.html 🌻
  •  

Jayne01

Merry first Christmas Steph. You deserve all the happiness you can get.

Jayne
  •  

steph2.0

I know you all are in far-flung corners of the globe. I wish you could all be here with me. If anyone by chance can be here, PM me for details.

Your Friend,

Stephanie

•  

Megan.

Quote from: Steph2.0 on December 27, 2017, 01:06:12 AM
I know you all are in far-flung corners of the globe. I wish you could all be here with me. If anyone by chance can be here, PM me for details.

Your Friend,

Stephanie

I wish I could be there, stupid geography and laws of physics! I'm sure you'll be the belle of the ball! X

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

•  

Cindy

You look wonderful and it sounds a like a fantastic party is coming up.

I think it is time for the Susan's Social Pages to be part of the News section!

I was going to post about a misgender issue but I'll make it a separate topic so as not to derail your blog but keep fighting the good fight and enjoy life.
  •  

KathyLauren

I will be there in spirit, Steph.  I am sure it will be an excellent celebration!
  •  

Faith

Stephanie, We'd love to come. Unfortunately, we have family gathering plans as well so will be gathered around our fire pit burning everything that we can find. Enjoy your day/evening, you deserve it.

•  

steph2.0

Quote from: Faith on December 27, 2017, 06:50:33 AM
Stephanie, We'd love to come. Unfortunately, we have family gathering plans as well so will be gathered around our fire pit burning everything that we can find. Enjoy your day/evening, you deserve it.

Sorry you can't make it! New Years was probably a bad date, but it seemed appropriate...

A fire pit will be figuring large in my celebration. My old self, along with the pronouns He, Him, and His, and maybe Mister, Sir, and Hey Man... are all going into the fire.

-Stephanie

•  

Faith

Quote from: Steph2.0 on December 27, 2017, 06:57:56 AM
Sorry you can't make it! New Years was probably a bad date, but it seemed appropriate...

A fire pit will be figuring large in my celebration. My old self, along with the pronouns He, Him, and His, and maybe Mister, Sir, and Hey Man... are all going into the fire.

-Stephanie

oo, there's a plan. I wonder if my wife will let me burn some things rather than donate them .......

•  

steph2.0

Quote from: Faith on December 27, 2017, 07:15:29 AM
oo, there's a plan. I wonder if my wife will let me burn some things rather than donate them .......

Due to the sensitivity of my eyes to bright light, and my self-consciousness about my hairline and growing bald spot, my old trademark was always wearing a baseball cap - to the point where my friends didn't think they were removable. They were shocked on the rare occasions (usually funerals) when there wasn't one glued to my head. With my hair filling in and my new hairstyle, I love going out uncovered when I can. I have a huge collection of old beat-up hats, enough to pass out to everyone so they can pitch them in the fire.

I have a few songs to play, Faith of the Heart (known as the theme from Star Trek Enterprise) and the Moody Blues' New Horizons, and a poem to read (the excerpt from the Walt Whitman poem The Song of the Road that Ashley recently posted), and a few things to comment on, and the rest of the night is just for fun. The reason for the party is two-fold: to present fully feminine to many of them for the first time to emphasize the fact that old whatsHISname no longer exists, and to honor everyone who has been so good to me. I have friends coming from as far away as Indiana and Tennessee.

I have small gifts to give out. For the women I have jewelry with a heart motif. Most will get copies of the "heart skywriting" pin that I bought myself when I first came out, and that I'm rarely seen without.

The only exceptions are for two women who love cats (one of whom calls herself the "Perfectly Sane Cat Lady"), so they get hearts with cats on them, and for my sister, a split heart, one side of which says Little Sister, and other says Big Sister. I'm keeping that half. The last is for my wife, the Dragon Lady. She gets a heart consisting of two dragons with their tails entwined.

For the men... I don't have a clue yet. What do men like?  ??? I'm only partially joking. As much as I appreciated the gesture of small gifts at such events, they were usually useless to me. I either already had it, or had no use for it. I'm actually thinking of taking the low road and just giving hardware store gift cards. Or 1/4 inch drill bits. You can't have enough of those (in the US).

- Stephanie

•