Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

The Stephanie Chronicles

Started by steph2.0, September 17, 2017, 11:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faith

don't mind me as I wander though, I'm just looking for wild chocolate.
I left the door open, only a few came through. such is my life.

•  

steph2.0

Quote from: Faith on January 22, 2018, 11:15:42 AM
don't mind me as I wander though, I'm just looking for wild chocolate.

Look on the fridge

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

steph2.0

Apologies in advance for the length (Laurie!), but I want to remember - and share - every nuance of this incredible chapter of my life. And if you're reading this with Tapatalk, you'll probably have to tell it to show "web view" to see it all.

Off To See Our Kendra
That Wonderful Kendra of Ours

Episode I
Wherein our heroines concoct a conspiracy, craft a crazy card, and crash a convalescence.

Well, I'm still trying to absorb the enormity of what happened last weekend. The initial purpose was to surprise Kendra and meet a few other people from Susan's, and it blossomed into something so wonderful and unique in my experience that I'll remember it the rest of my life. The term watershed moment comes to mind.

After Kendra sprung her amazing surprise visit on me at my party on New Year's Eve, I felt the need for a little payback. I knew about all the serious things she had planned for this year, and since only one of them would be in the US, it was the default choice for a time to surprise her. I started looking into travel to Scottsdale.

I mentioned it to my best friend Cassie, and asked if she'd be interested in going along. She was involved with the conspiracy to get Kendra here to my party, and hung out with us while Kendra visited. She was all for accompanying me, so I lined up a flight, hotel, and rentawreck, with arrival set for a few days after Kendra's GCS surgery with Dr. Ley on January 18th. Somewhere along the way, when I was passing PM notes under the desk to Tia Anne, I told her about my plan, and she decided that there was no way she was going to miss this, and started to make her own travel plans.

I started thinking about a congratulations/birthday card for Kendra, and thought about all the people here who love her so much. Why not get some of them to sign the card? But how the heck can I do that when they're literally all over the world? I came up with a short list of people who I knew, who also knew Kendra. And I waited until Kendra was under anesthesia on January 18th to contact them via PM, so she couldn't hear us whispering. I told them what I was up to, and asked for short greetings and quotes that I could put in the card from them. One by one messages of love and best wishes came in over the next few days. The evening before we left, I assigned a different font and color to each, printed them out, and did some old-school cutting-and-pasting into the card.

The conspiracy was complete, and plans were in place. Other than staying up late, fretting over what to pack, I was ready to go. It was time to execute. We got up very very early on January 21st to get to the airport for a 7:20am flight.

And this is where the one of the most amazing adventures of my life really began.

This would be my first trip as Stephanie with my new ID, on my own (that is, without Sue to run interference for me), and via public transportation - with strangers all around, and serious security to get through. It would be Cassie's first flight in about 12 years, which meant it was also her first as Cassie. I can't speak for her, but I was a nervous wreck when Sue dropped us off at the airport. We checked our baggage with some help from an agent (not a secret one, thank goodness), which forced the issue on using my "voice" for the first time. Apparently it worked. No hassle or strange looks so far. Off we went to security.

We had luckily drawn TSA Pre-Check passes, so the lines were short, we didn't have to take off shoes, belts, etc. and the scanner was just a metal detector, not the "naked scanners" we were both apprehensive about. I whizzed right on through. Cassie got a bling bing from the scanner, but it was a quick check, I assume with a wand, and we were on our way to the gate, with a quick slide into Starbucks for breakfast. So far everyone had been completely professional and there was no weirdness at all. I started to think maybe I could do this thing. Again I had to use my voice to talk to the gate agent when I couldn't find my boarding pass on my phone, and again, no issues. Onto the plane - I got the window seat - nyah nyah Cassie - and off for the 1500 nautical mile slog to PHX. I tracked us occasionally with the GPS navigation software on my tablet.

Landing in PHX, I did some back seat driving (15 rows back) to help the pilot land - Cassie noticed me pulling back on the flight stick (c'mon c'mon, you're in ground effect, flare, flare, hold it off...) and with my help he made a smooth landing. Phew. Good thing I was there. We were nice and early.

So early, in fact, that our gate was still occupied by some rude dude in a big airplane. By the time they finally towed away the guy in our parking place, we were only on time anyway.

Off the plane and off to the baggage carousel. Time to see how Tia's doing.

Tia Anne was flying in from Colorado, and there was a possibility that her plane would be grounded by a blizzard. We were relieved to hear that it had gotten out, though it was late because it took so long for deicing. It worked out well for our schedule, though. While we were standing at the carousel waiting for our luggage to come around on the gee-tar, I spied a tall lady in a pink top and patterned skirt on the other side typing into her phone. When mine went "ping" I knew who I was looking at, and was very impressed! Wow, we get to hang out with this classy lady? She's gonna make us all look good! We met and hugged, and waited for our luggage. And waited. And the carousel stopped. All done. Uh oh. Time to put the voice to the test again. While I was talking to an agent at the help desk (with no strangeness again), Cassie found our bags on a different carousel. Whew. Time to troop off to U-Push-It to pick up the rentacar.

It's been a long time since I've rented a car, and the company whose cars are all in pain (Hurts) uses video kiosks now. Based on the image on the screen, the guy at the other end seemed to be in Yosemite or something, though we all knew he was in a cube in Peoria. I signed my life away, using the correct name and ID of course, and we went looking for the car. After having to talk to someone yet again, we got to choose a mid-size hybrid. Time to see what Phoenix, Tempe, and Scottsdale were all about. Tia was pretty familiar with town, having had her GCS with the same doc that Kendra was using, and directed us to lunch at a pretty cool Jimmy-Buffett-Margaritaville-styled restaurant called Rehab Burger Therapy, appropriately named since it was right across the street from the Greeenbaum Surgical Center, where Kendra innocently and unknowingly awaited our arrival.

After an Arizona lunch that couldn't be beat, we girded our loins and prepared to do battle with the entry doors and nurse's station at the hospital.

Since it was a Sunday, everything was locked. As we buzzed for the nurse, Cassie tried the RFID key from her job, and click, we were in! After taking the heffalator to the second floor, my nurse Cassie asked whether I had the congrats/birthday card with me. Good thing she keeps me on a short leash. Back down to the car and back up with the card. Now we're ready. Turn right from the elevator and into the hallway and...

There's a cute dark haired lady walking (not shuffling, walking) down the hall toward us. We all stopped. You could hear crickets. The lady's jaw hit the ground. And stayed there. I got a good look at her tongue piercing, and held out my arms. Look who's here! Either Tia or Cassie said, "Breathe!" We all started consuming oxygen again, and incoherency ensued.

We finally went to Kendra's room. I was anxious for Kendra to open her card and see all the greetings inside, but she just held it in her lap and shook her head in amazement. I was about ready to explode. She finally opened it up... and all that love came busting out. She lost it, as I did, too.

Kendra's dear friend Denise was waiting in the room when we got there. She was pretty cool, and the strings that bind her to Kendra were obvious for all to see. While she was the only ciswoman in the room, she joined in our open and uninhibited conversation about where we all were, where we were going, and how we felt about it. Dena arrived, then Mariah and Jamie.

While learning more about everyone, I realized that out of all the exceptional people in that room that day I feel that I have accomplished the least and have the furthest to go. I'm in awe of all of them, and am deeply honored that they so eagerly accept me into their company.

Finally, everyone's springs ran down and we needed to let Kendra get some rest. We left for the evening with a tentative plan to meet up again on Tuesday before our flight out. Cassie and I dropped Tia off at her hotel and headed for the room we were splitting. Another interaction at the front desk with my voice and new ID, and into the room, where we crashed so hard they heard the thud back in Florida.

We both ended up awake again around midnight with rumbling bellies and curiosity about the night life in Phoendalempe. Which isn't much on a Sunday night. We ended up at 414 Pizza in Tempe, which features good pizza and bad karaoke. Rolled back to the hotel and crashed again some time around 2am.

And so endeth the first day. Stay tuned for the next exciting episode of Steph and Cassie's Excellent Adventure.

- Stephanie

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

Laurie

Oh okay I'll let it go this time just because the content was good. Damn it I should have been there!
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

Kendra

I am still.  Stunned.

That moment walking around the corner down the hallway - 3 days after surgery - my first time outside that room, no clue where the hallway led because I had been brought there after anesthesia.  A hallway from Arizona to Colorado and Florida.

The thoughtfulness of people here is... there is nothing to compare to.  I can barely find the words.  As I keep re-reading that card.
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

Bari Jo

Wonderful story for a wonderful lady.

Bari Jo
you know how far the universe extends outward? i think i go inside just as deep.

10/11/18 - out to the whole world.  100% friends and family support.
11/6/17 - came out to sister, best day of my life
9/5/17 - formal diagnosis and stopping DIY in favor if prescribed HRT
6/18/17 - decided to stop fighting the trans beast, back on DIY.
Too many ups and downs, DIY, purges of self inbetween dates.
Age 10 - suppression and denial began
Age 8 - knew I was different
  •  

Mariah

Steph I am in awe of you and your journey so far. Your confidence and accomplishments show your really not that far away from those of us who have traveled farther already. It just seems like that when we have so much we want to do ahead of us. Getting to meet both you and Cassie while getting spend much of Monday with both of you was my honor. Thank you for both of you allowing me to do that. The spark and energy that both of you have really is inspiring, energizing and refreshing. I have no doubt your journey will be just as amazing as the rest of ours in the end. Hugs
Mariah
Quote from: Steph2.0 on January 26, 2018, 10:41:55 PM

While learning more about everyone, I realized that out of all the exceptional people in that room that day I feel that I have accomplished the least and have the furthest to go. I'm in awe of all of them, and am deeply honored that they so eagerly accept me into their company.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.
[email]mariah@susans.org[/email]
I am also spouse of a transgender person.
Retired News Administrator
Retired (S) Global Moderator
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: Mariah on January 27, 2018, 10:38:37 AM
Steph I am in awe of you and your journey so far. Your confidence and accomplishments show your really not that far away from those of us who have traveled farther already. It just seems like that when we have so much we want to do ahead of us. Getting to meet both you and Cassie while getting spend much of Monday with both of you was my honor. Thank you for both of you allowing me to do that. The spark and energy that both of you have really is inspiring, energizing and refreshing. I have no doubt your journey will be just as amazing as the rest of ours in the end. Hugs
Mariah

Thanks, Mariah, for your kind words. Confidence? Well, if you say so. It doesn't feel like that from in here. Just muddling forward. Admittedly, being among strangers who unquestioningly accepted me as myself, and hanging out with such exceptional people who've been there and done that, put me into a joyful, hopeful mood that could be interpreted as confidence. It's different back here in the real world of constant deadnaming and misgendering by those who I'm closest to.

But it was quite the road trip, wasn't it? I'll be writing more about it when I get a break, but I wanted to acknowledge your kind words first.

Thanks again,

Stephanie

•  

steph2.0

I'll get back to our Phoenix story in a bit, but I wanted to fill you all in on today's happening.

You may remember that, to my surprise, I was voted back in as president of our Experimental Aircraft Association chapter. Many chapters host fly-ins, where folks fly their planes in to share a meal and each other's company. My chapter hosts a couple of them a year. We serve a great breakfast that's well-regarded throughout Florida, and all profits go toward a flight training scholarship program we've created.

Today was the first one I hosted as my new self.

Nervous? You bet. Though I'd outed myself to a few people at our last fly-in on Halloween weekend, I'd been in costume, and I'm sure a lot of people thought it was just an act. This time I expected to see a lot of other pilots I know who'd either not been at the last fly-in, or didn't take my presentation then seriously. Cassie stayed at our place last night so she could attend and act as moral support if needed. I got myself fixed up and looking as good as possible given the venue, to make sure people knew I was serious about this, and had a nice name tag engraved that said Stephanie Bensinger.

It turned out to be a non-issue. Those who already knew and were supportive used the right name and pronouns, people that I know who didn't know my situation didn't make a fuss, and those who I've never met seemed to just accept me as Stephanie. I didn't have to actually make my coming-out speech to anyone. I think word may have gotten around - a friend who visits other airports just to hang out told me that at two different places, when he mentioned our airport, he was told, "Oh, the place where Steve/Steph is? Yeah, I know both of them." Kind of a silly way of putting it, but at least not negative.

Toward the end of the fly-in, a guy brought in a camera that had been on a tripod recording the takeoffs and landings, and which had blown over in the increasing wind. He was trying to find the owner (it was on a tag on the camera), and walked up to me. He asked if I was Laura, then saw my name tag, and said, "Oh, sorry, you're Stephanie!" and moved on. I'll count that as a pass.

So after all the fretting, it turned out OK. Here's me and Cassie at the fly-in.

Stephanie

•  

KathyLauren

I am glad that major public event went well for you.  My experience is that people involved in that kind of group value experience and expertise as much as personal contact.  If you have those and do a halfway reasonable job of the personal contact (as I am sure you do), you are not going to have problems.

So I am not surprised that it went well.

Lovely pic!  The airplane is not bad, too.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Kendra

Wow - quite a day!  And a great prop for your photo.
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

Jayne01

Quote from: Kendra on January 28, 2018, 02:05:26 PM
Wow - quite a day!  And a great prop for your photo.
And the master of puns has returned! Welcome back Kendra.
  •  

Mariah

True those things really do have a way of shaking us and taking our confidence from us. I'm fortunate enough that no one here knows my dead name. The misgendering on the other happens and that used to really shake me. It takes time to really get to that comfortable point and to be honest I only reached that point in regards to my reaction to things like misgendering as a result of Jamie. Yep, a real quick road trip. Your so very welcome. Hugs
Mariah
Quote from: Steph2.0 on January 27, 2018, 10:59:24 PM
Thanks, Mariah, for your kind words. Confidence? Well, if you say so. It doesn't feel like that from in here. Just muddling forward. Admittedly, being among strangers who unquestioningly accepted me as myself, and hanging out with such exceptional people who've been there and done that, put me into a joyful, hopeful mood that could be interpreted as confidence. It's different back here in the real world of constant deadnaming and misgendering by those who I'm closest to.

But it was quite the road trip, wasn't it? I'll be writing more about it when I get a break, but I wanted to acknowledge your kind words first.

Thanks again,

Stephanie
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.
[email]mariah@susans.org[/email]
I am also spouse of a transgender person.
Retired News Administrator
Retired (S) Global Moderator
  •  

Kendra

Quote from: Jayne01 on January 28, 2018, 02:07:30 PM
And the master of puns has returned! Welcome back Kendra.

> And the master mistress of puns has returned! 
:laugh:  Thanks!
...and if anyone asks I tell them I have a Mistress of Business Administration degree. 
  •  

steph2.0

Just surprised myself. I came in from the shop, all sweaty, with my hair up in a clip, my old glasses (which I've been told are too masculine), and two days of stubble, and glanced in the mirror. Dang!

Maybe nobody else in the world can see it, but I'm feeling good about myself today, and that's what counts, right?

Stephanie

•  

Jayne01

I see it too. That is a nice photo, Steph.
  •  

Michelle_P

I just see Stephanie!  Something is working well for you...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

KathyLauren

Quote from: Steph2.0 on January 29, 2018, 01:51:19 PM
Just surprised myself. I came in from the shop, all sweaty, with my hair up in a clip, my old glasses (which I've been told are too masculine), and two days of stubble, and glanced in the mirror. Dang!

Maybe nobody else in the world can see it, but I'm feeling good about myself today, and that's what counts, right?

Stephanie
I see it too.  "Dang!" is right!  Looking good!
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Cassi

Quote from: Steph2.0 on January 29, 2018, 01:51:19 PM

Stephanie

Nice!  Are you going to start Wing Walking too?  Just kidding - I'm sick.
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

steph2.0

Aww. You're all so nice. I've got a topper, though. Today I got my first junk mail addressed to Stephanie.

yay [emoji19]

- Stephanie

•