Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

The Stephanie Chronicles

Started by steph2.0, September 17, 2017, 11:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faith

QuoteInadvertently overdressed huh? Probably an obvious plan to draw attention away from the other ladies so you can bask in the attention....

You know, now that you mention it, Steph did seem to garner most of the attention ...... >:(
I left the door open, only a few came through. such is my life.

•  

Laurie

Quote from: Faith on February 19, 2018, 12:13:42 PM
You know, now that you mention it, Steph did seem to garner most of the attention ...... >:(

Of course she did. I knew that. I have "insight" my therapist and another woman I respect told me so. But we do need to remember she has a sensitive demure side too.

Hugs,
   Laurie
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

Faith

Quote.. she have a sensitive demure side too ...

>>>>>insert inappropriate comment here <<<<<<

I have my mouth tightly shut as my mind goes into overdrive

•  

Laurie

Quote from: Faith on February 19, 2018, 12:22:18 PM
>>>>>insert inappropriate comment here <<<<<<

I have my mouth tightly shut as my mind goes into overdrive

Just don't crash girl. I need to meet you and Lori first so slow it down before you get a ticket.

Hugs,
   Laurie

•  

steph2.0

Quote from: Faith on February 19, 2018, 12:13:42 PM

Uhh... Did I really? I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hog the conversation. I didn't used to be that way. I'm just enjoying being me so much that it's hard to restrain myself. Irrational or not, it's definitely exuberance. Plus I felt a certain obligation to keep things going, and any time I started hearing crickets I dug for something to talk about. I still value quiet times with good friends, but uncomfortable silences make me... uncomfortable.

Sorry

Stephanie

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

Laurie

oh you stop that ((((S))teph)a)nie) Faith and I were teasing  ::) ::) ::) ::)

•  

steph2.0

Quote from: Laurie on February 19, 2018, 01:39:15 PM

[emoji56]🤣

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

Faith

Quote from: Laurie on February 19, 2018, 01:39:15 PM

Speak for yourself!!

nah, seriously, now that we've met I feel I can indulge my more hidden side of unabashed teasing. Sometimes I almost feel bad ... almost ...

•  

Cassi

Duh, like this is Steph 2.0, not Laurie 6.7 or Faith 6.2, so rave, rant and have a ball!
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

steph2.0

Well, that's it. I'm done.

And by that I mean no more anxiety. No more doubt about my presentation. No more fear of being clocked. No more worries.

Quote from: Steph2.0 on February 19, 2018, 11:52:47 AMBut I am feeling confident today, which is good because I'm coming out to my primary care doctor's entire clinic in an hour and a half.

The appointment was for a physical exam in preparation for my consultation with Dr. Ting's GCS team at Mount Sinai in New York. My doctor knew about the reason, and I'd told him I was full time and had changed my name, and asked him to help smooth the way with the clinic to help change my records when I showed up for my appointment.

I was dressed casual, with a fitted button down short sleeve blouse, cuffed jeans, and some cute flats. I checked in at the front desk, thinking I was going to have to change my records. I gave my last name, and she pulled out a sheet of paper that already had "Stephanie Bensinger (Steve) on it. There was nothing to change, and she took my credit card (with the proper name of course) for the copay, and I sat down to wait and see who they would call when my turn came. And my favorite nurse called for Stephanie. Mini-squeee.

"Come with me, my dear. This says you want to be called "Steve"." I, believing she knew the whole story by now, told her no, that was old information. She promised to change it right away.

Weight... blood pressure... oxygen levels... etc. etc.

While she was working through that another nurse poked her head in. She said, "Oh! I wanted to talk to you about something, but you're with a patient." She started to leave, then turned back and I smiled at her. She apparently decided it was safe to talk in front of the nice lady, came into the room and whispered to my nurse. Their conversation got louder until I heard that apparently one of the male nurses had sort of hit on our visitor. They chatted away about it until the other nurse left, and mine looked at me, rolled her eyes, and said, "The things we put up with as women!" What could I say? I agreed.

She then sat down to go through the computer.

Now I figured the records must be completely updated and everyone would know what's going on at this point, so I had no problem handing over my list of meds that includes Spironolactone, Estradiol, and Finasteride. She dutifully typed them in, then went on to the questions and answers that we're all used to:

"Any chronic pain?"

"Any shortness of breath?"

"etc.?"

"etc.?"

"etc.?"

"When was your last menstrual cycle?"

My answer, ".......................................!!!!!"

It was hard to answer with my jaw on the ground, but I finally got out something like, "Uh, It's not in my records?"

"What do you mean, my dear?"

".......!"

"I'm... transgender."

"Oh... Congratulations!!!"

"So I guess that doesn't apply."

"No, I guess not!"

At this point we're grinning at each other like a couple of fools. She moved on through the rest of the questions. Somewhere along the way she was mumbling to herself as she went through the records, looked up and said, "Fifty nine? You don't look old enough to be fifty nine!" Well, thanks. We shared that there were mornings when we felt 70.

Later I shook my head and said something like, "I still don't believe it!" She started to apologize, and I stopped her. "No no, you just made my entire day!"

At one point I asked her how I was listed in my records - male or female - because I was going to need specialized care going forward, and she couldn't find the marker. So she had been going strictly on my presentation for how she was treating me.

She finally turned me over to the doctor, who's known my story for about 6 months now. We had a good conversation about how things were going and my plans. He asked a lot of good questions, and I checked again for the gender marker in my records. It was female, but they actually have another marker for transgender, specifically so any specialized care is taken into account. He said after I had the GCS, they would remove the transgender marker. We talked about the need going forward for both prostate checks and mammograms. I educated him about GCS methods and providers, we made arrangements for a few more lab tests and an EKG, he did a general physical exam, and sent me to my favorite front desk person - the one who used to banter with me and always called me Mister Steve. There was none of that today, and I even wonder if she knew who she was talking to. She arranged for the EKG right then, and shouted out to someone in the back, "send her to room 10?" In room 10, my friend the nurse rolled in the machine that goes, "BING!" and told me to take off my shirt. First time in front of a stranger in just my bra. It's a good thing I shaved! No issues other than her cold hands! The machine went "BING!" we got the slip of paper, and I was on my way.

I'd come out to my doctor on August 28th, 2017, still in guy mode. My original scared-to-death posts about it are here:
https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php?topic=226256.msg2017442#msg2017442
and
https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,226256.msg2018312.html#msg2018312

The followup post about how it all actually went is here:
https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,226256.msg2019790.html#msg2019790

Subsequent visits had been in what was at best androgynous mode, with increasing dysphoria each time they used that old name. How things have changed since then.

Coming out to the entire clinic was what I'd considered to be the last big wall to scale, and the experience may have been the best, most validating, most affirming day I've had since I started this long strange trip. The fact that a medical professional, who had all of my records in front of her to show my story in black and white, still read me as female and treated me that way even after I clued her in, made me question why I have any lingering doubts about my presentation. Despite my posts telling how my confidence has been out of sight lately, there was still that little tingle in my brain, telling me that maybe people were just being nice, and I was being clocked anyway.

But I'm done. Time to redirect the energy that had been going to stoke the fear to something more useful, and just live.

Stephanie

•  

Laurie

Wonderful Day S(t)e(p)han(i)e, and an even better resolution at the end. Go live life indeed!

Hugs,
  Laurie

•  

KathyLauren

Woo-hoo!  Awesome experience, Stephanie! 

Quote from: Steph2.0 on February 19, 2018, 11:17:14 PM
And by that I mean no more anxiety. No more doubt about my presentation. No more fear of being clocked. No more worries.

We'll hold you to that, of course, but I'm thinking that you're right.  There isn't anything left to worry about.  You are you, you are beautiful, and people are cool with that.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Bari Jo

Quote from: Steph2.0 on February 19, 2018, 11:17:14 PM
Well, that's it. I'm done.

But I'm done. Time to redirect the energy that had been going to stoke the fear to something more useful, and just live.

Stephanie

I am in awe.  You conquered those mountains faster than anybody I've read about abd done it with a smile.  It's going to take me a year longer than you at least!  I'm so very impressed with you Steph!

Bari Jo
you know how far the universe extends outward? i think i go inside just as deep.

10/11/18 - out to the whole world.  100% friends and family support.
11/6/17 - came out to sister, best day of my life
9/5/17 - formal diagnosis and stopping DIY in favor if prescribed HRT
6/18/17 - decided to stop fighting the trans beast, back on DIY.
Too many ups and downs, DIY, purges of self inbetween dates.
Age 10 - suppression and denial began
Age 8 - knew I was different
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: Bari Jo on February 20, 2018, 10:02:41 AM
I am in awe.  You conquered those mountains faster than anybody I've read about abd done it with a smile.  It's going to take me a year longer than you at least!  I'm so very impressed with you Steph!

Bari Jo

Thanks, sister. I'm not sure how I'm getting away with it, but the pace just kept accelerating.

I keep thinking of school, where they taught us dx/dt = velocity and dv/dt = acceleration. Taking it a step further, there's rate of change of acceleration, da/dt. But that's called "jerk," and nobody wants to be a jerk.

If that ain't a geek joke then nothing is.

But seriously, at 59 I don't have time to waste. I want to do some real living while I still have my health. There are still plenty of things I'd like to address, like hair, breasts, and my schnozz, but I can't wait to make everything perfect if it's working well enough now. I'll just keep chugging along and let HRT do what it can before considering more radical stuff.

And don't sell yourself short. I'm watching you forge ahead and it's so cool to see your progress. One step at a time, and keep on walking.

- Stephanie

•  

Anne Blake

Well Steph, it is about time! I believe that I told you that truth when we met in Scottsdale, or is life at 59 too old to remember? Now I want to hear about your next step, "just living". How do you plan to get past this somewhat misnomered phase called transitioning (actually another step in that continuity called life) and begin to actively pursue life as our lovely Stephanie Bensinger?

Your loving sister,
Tia Anne

By the way, congratulations!
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: Anne Blake on February 20, 2018, 11:41:19 AM
Well Steph, it is about time! I believe that I told you that truth when we met in Scottsdale, or is life at 59 too old to remember? Now I want to hear about your next step, "just living". How do you plan to get past this somewhat misnomered phase called transitioning (actually another step in that continuity called life) and begin to actively pursue life as our lovely Stephanie Bensinger?

Your loving sister,
Tia Anne

By the way, congratulations!

[emoji4]

Well, tonight I'll be joining a trivia team with Sue's friends followed by dinner.

Tomorrow I'm getting lab tests and scheduling a mammogram, then working In the shop.

Thursday I'm flying an hour north to meet up with my friend who donated much of my wardrobe to me so we girls can do lunch (we'll let her husband tag along as long as he stays quiet).

Friday I'll be part of a three plane formation team doing a "missing man" flyby at my neighbor's funeral. I'll be flying the plane that peels off, since it'll be the only one missing a man. An unmanned aircraft, if you will.

Saturday the neighborhood will likely be flying to breakfast somewhere.

Some time in there, Cassie's going to come over and help me work on the planes.

And back to the "transitioning" category, I'm waiting for a callback today from Mt Sinai regarding my GCS consultation appointment on March 9th.

So yeah, I'm living the life! Glad to hear you are, too!

Stephanie

•  

Anne Blake

Hi Steph,

Just an fyi; My OB/GYN (retiring next month, arghhhhhh!!!), set up both a mammogram and a bone density test for me a couple of months ago. I don't know at what age they toss in the bone density but it was good that I had the test done as it indicated a marginal deficiency that I am addressing. By the way, the mammogram was no where near as bad as I had been led to believe, I sort of enjoyed it as a rite of passage.

Tia Anne
  •  

mm

Anne Blake, too bad your OB/GYN is retiring; you have someone to take her place.  Sometimes it is hard to get going with a new OB/GYN.
  •  

Sarah_P

Somehow I never found your thread before Stephanie! Congrats on the upcoming consult, and on being 100% you now!
It's an amazing feeling, and I love it.
Sounds like you and Faith & co. had a great time!
--Sarah P

There's a world out there, just waiting
If you only let go what's inside
Live every moment, give it your all, enjoy the ride
- Stan Bush, The Journey

•  

steph2.0

Quote from: Sarah_P on February 20, 2018, 09:59:51 PM
Somehow I never found your thread before Stephanie! Congrats on the upcoming consult, and on being 100% you now!
It's an amazing feeling, and I love it.
Sounds like you and Faith & co. had a great time!

Hi Sarah, welcome to the insanity that is my thread. I'm an incredibly lucky woman.  Here you'll find a core group of the most amazing people you'll ever meet, who I have the privilege of calling friends. They drop by to check up on me and offer their dose of abuse, without which my day wouldn't be complete. If you hang out here you'll find yourself in good company.

I'm also lucky in the way things are turning out with my transition. Considering that I started HRT only 8 months ago - and the first three don't really count since they were such low dose - it's scarcely credible where I am today. I would never have believed it if you had told me last June the way that I'm living now.

We just got home from taking part in a weekly trivia contest in one of the gigantic retirement communities we have here in Florida. This one is built with a central square where there's live music and dancing every night. After the contest Sue and I wandered around the square, checking out the vendor tents and shops in the 78 degree weather. It's the first time I've worn shorts in a couple of months, and both the top and shorts I'm wearing are hand-me-downs from a wonderfully supportive friend. I was reveling in the feeling of being me with the warm breeze on my skin and in my hair, among all those people also out enjoying the evening who never gave me a second glance.

It was especially meaningful because it's the same place where I'd had a complete meltdown inside a restaurant last August because I knew I'd never be able to be one of the women out there in their shorts, skirts, and sundresses enjoying the same kind of evening. A lot of the warmth I felt tonight had nothing to do with the weather.

Even just a few weeks ago I would have felt a certain sheepish ecstasy over "getting away with it." Tonight, though, was simply deep contentment. I didn't want to go home. When we did head back I left the windows down on the RollerSkate and let the wind blow my hair around. It was just such a quintessentially feminine thing to keep brushing my hair out of my eyes, that I didn't care that it was making a mess.

When we got home my bestest friend Cassie rang me up for a video chat, and we shared girl talk until we both faded out. What a great day. A lot of them are like that lately.

I've been watching you travel your bumpy road, and it's cool to see how far you've come. I wish I could have done this when I was your age, but c'est la vie. I'm making the best of the rest of my life now. I wish you all the best in your journey, and please feel free to hang out here as much as you like. Sometimes we have cookies (and there's nothing wrong with them!)

Stephanie

•