News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

The Stephanie Chronicles

Started by steph2.0, September 17, 2017, 11:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steph2.0

Quote from: KathyLauren on April 02, 2018, 03:16:41 PM
Great pics, Steph!  The first one, you in the sundress, is amazing: you are so curvy!!  Hubba-hubba!

With just the right clothes and just the right angle...

Surprised me, too.

- Stephanie

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

Sarah_P

Looks like you all had fun! Wish it would warm up here so I can finally wear my sundresses!
--Sarah P

There's a world out there, just waiting
If you only let go what's inside
Live every moment, give it your all, enjoy the ride
- Stan Bush, The Journey

•  

Jessica

Quote from: Steph2.0 on April 02, 2018, 02:03:22 PM
Yesterday I had planned to have family over for an untraditional Easter dinner. My mom, her hubby, and newest family member Cassie were lined up to enjoy our world neighborhood household-famous steak kabobs. Health issues prevented the mothership and big guy from attending, so we invited a neighbor to join us.

This made me a little nervous, because I'd already decided I wanted to do something that had been my dream for what seemed like my entire life: enjoy a warm lazy day on the back porch surrounded by loving people, while wearing a pretty sundress. I almost changed my mind, but finally decided this was my home and my life. And it was fine.

I felt like I passed another milestone, as meaningless as it may seem to others. After my neighbor left, I spent the rest of the afternoon relaxing with my two favorite people in the world. The event called for pictures (or it didn't happen), so here you are:

Except for worries about mom, it was a wonderful day...

- Stephanie

I was just catching up on your trip and saw these beautiful women! 
So happy for you!

And remember tire shops aren't open on Sundays.
Blew three out on our trailer on one trip to Montana and back.

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

Jayne01

Steph, you look really nice in that dress. That first one is one of your best pictures yet. I hope your mother feels better soon.

Jayne
  •  

Anne Blake

Stephanie, you are looking good girl! If you remember, I tried to talk you into a sundress in Scottsdale but you thought that the 70 degrees felt too frigid to go without artic gear. And now you are loving them and looking great. Keep the magic of that journey going.

Tia Anne
  •  

Northern Star Girl

@ Stephanie: 
As mentioned in the many previous replies, you indeed look really nice in your dress.   Your necklace, sandals and your hair and painted nails look absolutely terrific. 
Definitely, beautiful pictures of a beautiful lady.
Thanks for treating us to your posts and your pictures.
Hugs,
Danielle
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures

Started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old & Single
Email: northernstargirl@susans.org
  •  

steph2.0

Thank you all for the compliments on my Easter outfit. As I'd mentioned, it was a bit of a dream come true for me. But enough about that. There's been so much happening that I may never get it all documented. Instead of telling a story of the past, let me tell you what's coming up...

Most of you know that I was bitten by a radioactive airplane long ago, so have aviation in my DNA. For better than 20 years I've been attending the Sun-N-Fun airshow/gathering/celebration as a tourist, demo pilot, exhibitor, or volunteer. This year, due to changes in my business model, I'm going to volunteer.

There's a separate area with its own runway called Paradise City specifically for light aircraft and ultralights, which has been my home during the shows. It's the place my former self was most familiar and comfortable with, and where I was pretty well-known.

Well, this year, things are obviously different. Some people already know of my transition, while many others will find out at the show.

By sheer coincidence, my neighbor is in charge of all the volunteers for Paradise City. When I visited her home to come out last September, I suggested that maybe I should volunteer at a different part of Sun-N-Fun where I wasn't as well-known to avoid awkwardness. She didn't want to hear it, and after thinking about it, she contacted Paul, the guy leading the newly-formed Media Team, and suggested that I might be a good member of the group. He actively recruited me, and refused to accept any excuses I tried to make for avoiding the team.

The Media Team will not only announce live to the crowd that's watching the planes fly what they're looking at, with technical details and color commentary, but will be roving around with wireless mics to interview pilots, manufacturers reps, and passengers getting rides. There will be prerecorded interviews with exhibitors, and live conversations with onlookers. Some of it will be live-streamed to the Internet, and some will be broadcast live on "Sun-N-Fun Radio."

Great, I thought. I have technical expertise in most fixed-wing light planes, so I can supply Paul with stuff to talk about. I can also apply some of my geekiness to setting up and maintaining the equipment. It'll be fun, and I won't have to be out in front with all the social anxiety issues that triggers for me.

Uhhhh... no. Apparently it's going to be the Paul and Stephanie Show.

The rest of the people on the team are theoretically there to support us and keep us on the air as much as possible. Yikes! I'm not afraid of microphones - especially if I get to talk airplanes. What I'm trying to come to grips with is first, having to out myself to the roughly 75% of Paradise City volunteers and visitors who know the old me, and second, having my voice blasting out of speakers, on live streams and broadcasts, and on recordings.

A side story: Paul was getting matching shirts embroidered for the team members. He asked me what size I wore, and I told him women's large. He texted me back and told me that he couldn't get women's shirts in the same color as the rest of the team's shirts (apparently I'm the only woman on the team) and would I be ok with a men's small instead? I really struggled with that. I didn't want to cause trouble for the team or make my transition a "thing," but my dysphoria is such that I can't imagine wearing anything labeled "men's." In the end I decided to stand my ground and insist on a women's shirt. I could volunteer elsewhere if it was a problem. And Paul immediately backed off, insisting that I was a valued member of the team, and he'd just get me a different color. Here it is:

I'm trying to figure out the voice thing. I need to come up with something soon - the show starts next Tuesday, and volunteers start getting things set up on Thursday.

As for outing myself... well if I'm going to be there at all, people are going to find out anyway. So I might as well own it, and put myself front and center. My goal is to make myself indispensable, and be the most helpful and friendly volunteer working our little world. I've already asked the volunteer boss to not pigeonhole me into the stereotypical "guy jobs" but instead let me work jobs that she'd normally assign to women. She thought it was a good idea.

If I can get through this I think it'll do wonders for my self-confidence. I also feel that maybe in addition to helping myself, it might strike a positive blow for all of us. I'm sure I'll end up answering a lot of questions, so I hope I do well representing us all. Wish me luck!

- Stephanie

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

KathyLauren

Steph, you are lucky to have people like your neighbour and Paul in your life.  They push us to be our best.

I have a guy like that in my life, too.  I don't see him very often, and in fact I find him a bit intimidating.  But last year, he asked me to do a talk at the annual summer star party.  I contacted him once I had my transition plans in place to tell him that there was going to be a wrinkle in the plans: <deadname> was going to be Kathy by the time of the event.  I offered to step aside, but he wouldn't hear of it.  "Do it," he said, "You'll be fine; you'll enjoy it."  He was right.  I did it; I was fine; and I did enjoy it.  So, apparently, did many in the audience, who sought me out later to comment on it.  And, yes, it was a huge confidence-builder.  I'm doing it again this year.

So I will pass on that advice to you: Do it; you'll be fine; you'll enjoy it!  And you will be glad you did it!
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Anne Blake

Hi Stephanie, you are going to be in your element amongst friends and noisy machines.....you are going to nail it! The woman that I met in Scottsdale loves life and interacting with people too much to let a little thing like showing up to old acquaintances as your true gender. You know that you are just going to love it! Of course, we want stories and pictures.

Kathy, I can't wait to see pictures and hear the stories from your next Star gazers presentation. Your new look is going to wow the audience. Is it going to be recorded for all of us wannabees to see?

Tia Anne
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: KathyLauren on April 04, 2018, 06:52:00 AMDo it; you'll be fine; you'll enjoy it!  And you will be glad you did it!

Thank you, Kathy. It was actually your earlier post announcing your talk that prompted me to write about what's coming up for me. You, @michelle_p, @kendra, @denise, and all others who put themselves on the front lines are my inspiration.

As I move through this battlefield of transition, occasionally tumbling head-first into craters, and more and more often climbing ramparts to catch glimpses of a beautiful horizon, I learn more each moment about who I am. I'm realizing a personal philosophy that was unexpected. Courage is a very difficult thing for me to muster, but when I can, the universe seems to accept, and even welcome it. I've found that for me, trans pride doesn't mean waving flags, marching in parades, or attending rallies. It means stepping into that cold, uncaring world every day, with a smile, artificial or authentic, on my face. Accepting with grace and deep appreciation those who welcome me as I truly am, and rejecting without hatred those who cannot. But being out there, regardless.

Stealth was my original goal, but I'm coming to the understanding that the flawed shell I inhabit, and my past, limit that option. It's painful to reach the understanding that I will be always seen as trans, and not be simply known as the woman who I am inside this shell. Those who are able to live strictly as their true selves, without the "trans" prefix, inhabit a plane I'm not likely to ever attain. But the alternatives are unthinkable, so I endeavor to mine the bravery that will allow me to continue on and give what little I have to offer to those I share this space with. Those of you who've gone before pass on the guidance and strength that enable me to move forward. Thank you all so much.

- Stephanie

•  

SassyCassie

Quote from: Steph2.0 on April 04, 2018, 02:05:31 PM

As I move through this battlefield of transition, occasionally tumbling head-first into craters, and more and more often climbing ramparts to catch glimpses of a beautiful horizon, I learn more each moment about who I am. I'm realizing a personal philosophy that was unexpected. Courage is a very difficult thing for me to muster, but when I can, the universe seems to accept, and even welcome it. I've found that for me, trans pride doesn't mean waving flags, marching in parades, or attending rallies. It means stepping into that cold, uncaring world every day, with a smile, artificial or authentic, on my face. Accepting with grace and deep appreciation those who welcome me as I truly am, and rejecting without hatred those who cannot. But being out there, regardless.

Stealth was my original goal, but I'm coming to the understanding that the flawed shell I inhabit, and my past, limit that option. It's painful to reach the understanding that I will be always seen as trans, and not be simply known as the woman who I am inside this shell. Those who are able to live strictly as their true selves, without the "trans" prefix, inhabit a plane I'm not likely to ever attain. But the alternatives are unthinkable, so I endeavor to mine the bravery that will allow me to continue on and give what little I have to offer to those I share this space with. Those of you who've gone before pass on the guidance and strength that enable me to move forward. Thank you all so much.

Wow, that was beautifully written!

I'm glad...and more than a little proud that you've come to this point. I think this is where you'll start to get a little more patient with things as they slow down and turn into just regular life. The level of serenity gained will help you become even more comfortable with this (shy and still fairly new) woman named Stephanie.

Just remember, your friends are all here for you, whether you need a smile, a hug, a hand to lift you up or a light to bring you out of darkness.

We love you, Pretty Sister. No tough love. Just love.
  •  

steph2.0

Well, today I'm living the unexpected that forces bravery to the surface. My mom had a heart attack on Saturday, and here I sit in the waiting room while she has open heart triple bypass surgery. There was no choice but to interact with countless medical professionals, and surprisingly, there have been no issues with me so far. It seems that I'm being accepted as Stephanie - my mom's daughter - as I deal one-on-one with everyone.

The only fly in the ointment is spending this time with Mom's hubby, who constantly (accidentally) deadnames and misgenders me. It really put me on edge. Some of their neighbors visited for a while, and at least half the time it was "Steve" or "he." It wasn't until afterward that I found out that my Mom had already outed me to them, and they were fine with it. We'd had a decent conversation, and I should have gotten a clue when the lady went out of her way to tell me I looked really nice. So I'm weathering the storm, with the biggest anxiety now centered around how Mom's doing.

When I was thrown into this, I leaned heavily on the memory of when @HappyMoni had to attend a funeral as her authentic self, dealing with all those people as her true self for the first time. Though she was scared about it, she dove right into it, and it turned out fine. When the situation demands it, I guess we can all rise to the challenge...

- Stephanie

•  

SassyCassie

Quote from: Steph2.0 on April 04, 2018, 02:59:48 PM
When I was thrown into this, I leaned heavily on the memory of when @happymoni had to attend a funeral as her authentic self, dealing with all those people as her true self for the first time. Though she was scared about it, she dove right into it, and it turned out fine. When the situation demands it, I guess we can all rise to the challenge...

This provokes a thought about how we so often get told by others how "brave" or "courageous" we are for making the choice to transition, though the raw truth of the matter is that it is something we can't not do.

That being said, it's striking how much it opens the door for us to face (and conquer) so many of our fears as time goes on that when times come upon us which require us to summon our courage, we have plenty to spare. We've already walked through one fire after another and survived. Ordinary fears pale in comparison - not that they don't exist. Far from it, but our confidence level is so high that we refuse to crumble or turn away.
  •  

Kendra

Steph I am very sorry to hear your mom had a heart attack, and wish for the best for surgery and recovery.

Interactions that involve misgendering are difficult, but those who gendered you one way for a longer time usually need more time to turn that battleship.  My parents are wrestling with correctly gendering me right now, they really are trying and starting to auto-correct.  The first time we met, John F. Kennedy was president. 
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

SassyCassie

Kendra is absolutely right, and it seems that the best way to "turn that battleship" as she puts it, is to spend as much time around those folks as you can. Just as this is your new normal, they have to build new habits with regard to you.

If it's any consolation, think of all the people at Sun N Fun who will meet Stephanie for the first time and will only know her as this amazingly smart, talented pilot/aircraft builder.
  •  

Saha

I am so sorry to hear that your mother is not well. 
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: SassyCassie on April 04, 2018, 05:07:09 PM
Kendra is absolutely right, and it seems that the best way to "turn that battleship" as she puts it, is to spend as much time around those folks as you can. Just as this is your new normal, they have to build new habits with regard to you.

If it's any consolation, think of all the people at Sun N Fun who will meet Stephanie for the first time and will only know her as this amazingly smart, talented pilot/aircraft builder.

Thank you, Cassie. ❤️

It's a shame it can't be left at that, but it's an absolute certainty that those new people's illusions will be shattered by all of those who knew me before, and all the inevitable deadnaming and misgendering that will follow. So be it, I guess. I just have to suck it up and hope the correct name and gender will stick with the new folks regardless.

As for turning the battleship, any time we were alone, I made sure to gently correct him today. When we weren't, I tried to let it pass, hoping it wouldn't be noticed, since making a big deal out of it would just make things more obvious. If I had known that the neighbors already knew the situation, I would have been correcting him then, too. To their credit, the neighbors always got the name right, though I don't think the opportunity to use pronouns came up on their part. While they knew my story, I don't think we'd ever met face-to-face before, so hopefully my presentation will stick and they'll think of me correctly in the future.

I also got lucky in that either he or I spoke to the medical people individually, so he never had the chance to out me to any of them, and things went smoothly in all the interactions except on the phone, where I got misgendered, of course. [emoji58]

- Stephanie

•  

steph2.0

Quote from: Saha on April 04, 2018, 05:34:29 PM
I am so sorry to hear that your mother is not well.

Thank you Saha, and everyone else who sent their good wishes. She's out of surgery and in ICU, and doing as well as any over-80 person would be. I'm home now and collapsing from fatigue.

- Stephanie

•  

KathyLauren

I am so sorry to hear about your mother's illness.  I am glad she is on the mend.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Jayne01

I'm glad the surgery went well and your mother is recovering.

Jayne
  •