Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

The Stephanie Chronicles

Started by steph2.0, September 17, 2017, 11:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: Steph2.0 on July 06, 2018, 11:37:48 PM
Hello Danielle,

Oh, congratulations are fine. I'm doing well, but hugs are always appreciated!

Knowing the raw stock I have to work with just gives me more motivation to make improvements. Since I'm getting by as is, anything that improves the base will just make the end result even better. I'm looking forward in eager anticipation to learn what their recommendations are. Whatever they say, I'm fairly convinced that a trip to Spain is in my future.

I've never been to Spain, but I kind of like the music. [emoji16]

Stephanie

@Steph2.0
Dear Stephanie:  It is difficult enough to find domestic FFS clinics that will have good reviews... but obviously be very careful about whatever clinic you select... be certain to check them out thoroughly as I am sure that you will do.
Spain, could be fun, perhaps you might consider bringing a close friend with you....  you know it could be dangerous for beautiful women to travel alone.....  I am a tough Alaskan, I could be your body guard.

Take care and be safe with your choices.
Hugs and well wishes,
Danielle
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures

Started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old & Single
Email: northernstargirl@susans.org
  •  

KathyLauren

Quote from: Steph2.0 on July 06, 2018, 11:06:13 PMIt was the email equivalent of, "Your call is important to us. Please hold and your call will be answered in the order received."
Oh, bummer, I hate waiting, too.  So I know how you must be feeling.  Still, you are taking steps to move forward, and that's always good.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: KathyLauren on July 07, 2018, 06:17:42 AM
Oh, bummer, I hate waiting, too.  So I know how you must be feeling.  Still, you are taking steps to move forward, and that's always good.

It's okay, Kathy. I kind of expected it. As you say, as long as I'm moving forward it's all good. When I found out that I'm on hold for GCS for what looks to be as much as a year, I needed something to focus on, and when it comes down to it, FFS and hair grafts are probably more important things to pursue at this point, considering that they're what the world sees every day.

Realistically I don't expect to be able to go to Spain for at least six months. It sounds like they're that busy. But that gives me something to look forward to as the 18 month GCS clock ticks. It's possible that I would be getting FFS around the time of my consultation for GCS, and I would have time to heal during the expected six month (or more) wait before GCS surgery. During that wait I would be presenting a fresh new face to the world, and that thought makes me very happy.

@Alaskan Danielle , you're certainly welcome to go on vacation in Spain with me. I'm considering going alone and focusing on the surgery with little time to vacation to save on the travel expenses, but anyone traveling at the same time is just more opportunity for fun, until they roll me into surgery.

After all, the line that I didn't quote from the song is:
"I hear the ladies are insane there."

Parrrrty!

Stephanie

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

davina61

As long as you take a UK trip and come visit , at least its not as long as my wait . Chuffed for you girl
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017
GRS 2021 5th Nov

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: davina61 on July 07, 2018, 01:52:40 PM
As long as you take a UK trip and come visit , at least its not as long as my wait . Chuffed for you girl

Since money will be a main consideration, it's doubtful that I'll be able to do any additional touring while there, as much as I would love to visit. I keep thinking back to 2003, when I spent a month renting a cottage in the Cotswolds (Weston Subedge) and touring all the aviation museums I could find all over the country. I already know that I was practically in Megan's backyard at one point, and I wonder how many of my other new friends I drove right past.

Of course, back then transitioning was an impossible dream, not only for me, but I suspect for nearly all of us here...

Stephanie

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

steph2.0

Yesterday was one of those days. Frustration upon frustration, building to anger, but ending in a pretty awesome way.

I get some of my prescriptions filled at a local pharmacy inside a local store that's part of a national chain that shall go unnamed, other than it starts with Wal and ends with Mart. The story actually begins here: https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,228563.msg2091760/topicseen.html#msg2091760. That was back in February, when I thought I'd gotten my name changed in their pharmacy database.

My prescription was getting low, so I went online to order a refill. And what to my wondering eyes should appear? My deadname in their pharmacy database. WTH? So I spent literally hours in three different online chat sessions with their support people to try to get it fixed. Everyone was so nice, and so utterly ineffective. I finally gave up when I was locked out of my account due to too much fiddling around with it. I decided the only way to handle it at that point was to go to the pharmacy in person and out myself - again.

I got cleaned up and looking as good as I can, and marched up to the counter. The lady behind the counter looked familiar, and she seemed a little overworked and harassed. I thought that might lead to trouble, and I handed the empty prescription bottle over - which has the correct name on it, by the way. She typed it into the computer, paused, and looked sideways at me. It was at that point, I think, that she remembered our meeting back in February. Up to that point I think she was just helping another random lady. A gave her a smile and asked her if the information in her database was correct. She read it all off, and everything was right, including my name. Okay, now double WTH?

So I spilled the beans and told all the cr*p I'd been dealing with all morning, and she ended up being the most helpful, wonderful person I've dealt with in a long time. She got my name and pronouns right every single time, and in fact used my name it seemed in every other sentence. She even complimented me on my bracelet, as any woman would say nice things to another woman. She worked really hard to figure out what the problem was, and while she could see nothing wrong - so there was nothing she could fix, she was so nice that I thanked her profusely with, "You're the best!" when I took my prescription and went off into the store.

While I was shopping, an email came in from their support people, and I wandered back to the pharmacy, where I thought I'd show her what they'd said. I found her on a bench taking a break with her husband, where I showed her the message. Up until now she'd only seen me from the waist up as I stood behind the counter, but now she saw the skirt I was wearing and was profuse in her praise. We talked about where I got it and she decided she had to go find one. After bantering a bit more we parted, now on a first-name basis.

So while the problem still isn't solved completely, I feel like I made a new friend. People can be really cool sometimes...

Stephanie

•  

Northern Star Girl

@Steph2.0
Dear Stephanie:  Your pharmacy story sounds quite familiar to me in some ways.....

I have always used a small non-chain pharmacy where I know the Pharmacist and the other couple of employees by name ... and when I became full-time I made a personal visit to the pharmacy and talked directly pharmacist to request my name and gender change...  he smiled at me and said that he had been expecting me to make those changes because over the first year and a half of HRT he has been seeing me change right before his eyes.  He was so helpful, kind and considerate, and like your pharmacist did with you, he and one of the other employees showered me with complements about my appearance.
My name change was don instantly while I was there.  He immediately reprinted the labels on the pill bottles to reflect my new name. 
I have since moved to my new town as a woman and established my name and gender as I arrived.  No more problems with that, although I did have a few words with the pharmacist here, she was so nice and said the nicest things regarding me, her new female customer.... obviously she knew I was a transwoman from the prescriptions she was filling.
There are indeed nice people out there, we can find them in the most unexpected places and in unexpected places.

Thanks for posting... started out as a bad day but ended up a wonderful experience at the end that you did not anticipate.
Hugs,
Danielle

****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures

Started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old & Single
Email: northernstargirl@susans.org
  •  

Jessica

Stephanie!  I'm glad your pharmacist was so helpful and understanding, and now an ally as she is on a first name basis and asking "where did you get that skirt"!
These are interactions that women have, and you are a woman by all rights and reason.

Hugs and smiles, Jess

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

Anne Blake

Stephanie, if you are still looking for fellow travelers for you Spain visit, Deb and I will be heading over there next April.

Tia Anne
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: Anne Blake on July 07, 2018, 04:11:26 PM
Stephanie, if you are still looking for fellow travelers for you Spain visit, Deb and I will be heading over there next April.

Tia Anne

I will definitely keep that in mind as I consult with FacialTeam! Wouldn't that be fun?

Stephanie

•  

steph2.0

I've been intending to post this for a couple of weeks and kept forgetting. For months when I attend the trivia contest I attend weekly, I've been sitting next to the same guy. He knows my story, but has always been pretty cool about it, and always uses the right name. But apparently the occasion hasn't come up where he would refer to me in the third person, and a few weeks ago he misgendered me to Sue. I was shocked and upset after thinking for so long that I'd been fully accepted in my new role and gender.

As usual when I talked about it to some of my sympathetic team members, they made all the usual excuses for him: he knew you before, it wasn't on purpose, it takes a while to get used to the idea, etc. ad nauseum. I've been understanding for a very long time, but why is it that everybody else gets a break while I take the brunt of it all?

Anyway, I decided instead of dwelling on it, it was time to do something constructive. I sat down with my graphics program and designed business cards that I could pass out to people who need a reminder. Here is the front and back of what I came up with.

I haven't had the opportunity to use one yet, but they're in the front pocket of my purse, ready for quick access as needed.

What do you think?

Stephanie

•  

LizK

Hey Steph

I read your encounter with a colleague who misgendered you. I feel for you as I have always been very sensitive to being misgendered and misnamed. Part of the reason being that I had no confidence in my ability to move through the world as a woman without encountering a lot of resistance. I became and probably still am to a much smaller extent sensitive to misgendering and I was at one point almost hyper vigilant when it came to my name and pronouns.

There are a number of times I have posted here about being misgendered and the distress it causes me. I eventually came to realise that there was only one place I was being misgender and that was from people who had known me prior to transition. In many cases this was nothing other than muscle memory and people corrected themselves and moved on. I managed to actually narrow the misgendering down to a couple of people and to correct the situation with one of them. On the rare occasion they misgender me, that person now immeadiately corrects themself and continues with the conversation...which is exactly what I have always asked for. All this took a lot of tears and time to work out because misgendering feels (to me) like such a personal attack...one thing I had to learn about it, is that in most cases, its not an "attack" at all but a simple brain fart. In the cases where it is deliberate then that changes things because it beceomes about the perpertators real point of misgendering you.

I think your cards are nice and they make the point very clearly. I wonder how it will change the dynamic of the interaction. I wonder if this will break the flow of conversation and throw a great big spotlight onto the person that has misgendered you....if that is what you want to do then I think it will do that.

If that misgendering was deliberate then the issue is most likely goes deeper than pronouns so the card may be the perfect physical reminder of what is considered acceptable. Once received there is no excuse for getting it wrong deliberately.

I hope you are feeling better about it all and I can see by the effort you have gone too how much the whole thing has upset you. 

Take care

Liz
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: ElizabethK on July 07, 2018, 07:08:34 PM
I read your encounter with a colleague who misgendered you. I feel for you as I have always been very sensitive to being misgendered and misnamed. Part of the reason being that I had no confidence in my ability to move through the world as a woman without encountering a lot of resistance. I became and probably still am to a much smaller extent sensitive to misgendering and I was at one point almost hyper vigilant when it came to my name and pronouns.

Hi Liz,

Thanks for your wise thoughts. I admit that much of my aversion to being misgendered is due to self-esteem issues. I have friends who are strong and confident enough that they just brush off such things. One told me that GCS turned her mind completely around. There could no longer be any doubt who she was, and if other people don't get it, that's their problem. Maybe that will happen with me, too, but it looks like I won't find out for at least a year.

Hyper-vigilant is a good term for my attitude right now. I hear "him" and "sir" all the time, and I have to ask whomever I'm with if it had actually been said. In every case lately they say they didn't hear such a thing.

QuoteI eventually came to realise that there was only one place I was being misgender and that was from people who had known me prior to transition. In many cases this was nothing other than muscle memory and people corrected themselves and moved on. I managed to actually narrow the misgendering down to a couple of people and to correct the situation with one of them. On the rare occasion they misgender me, that person now immeadiately corrects themself and continues with the conversation...which is exactly what I have always asked for. All this took a lot of tears and time to work out because misgendering feels (to me) like such a personal attack...one thing I had to learn about it, is that in most cases, its not an "attack" at all but a simple brain fart. In the cases where it is deliberate then that changes things because it beceomes about the perpertators real point of misgendering you.

Generally speaking, the people I've known for a long time are making a concerted effort to get it right. There is one in the neighborhood who doesn't seem to be putting any effort into it, but I believe it's not meant as an attack. The current theory is he's a little embarrassed by the whole thing and doesn't quite know how to handle it. It's interesting that when one of my other neighbors is in the group and gets it right, the reluctant one gets it right, too - a few times. Then he reverts back to the male pronouns.

I have never regarded any of the misgendering incidents as attacks. If someone did do it it wouldn't bother me nearly as much as those who make a simple mistake. In the case of those who knew me before, if they get it wrong now, it feels like disrespect - like they aren't willing to make an effort to keep from hurting their neighbor. I see these people a lot, and it's been ten months since I came out to them. After putting so much effort and so many tears into getting where I am now, it seems such a small effort for someone to figure it out.

In the two cases where I was misgendered by strangers, one cut pretty deep, and the other was a complete mystery. In neither case do I believe they were done as attacks - they seemed to be simple mistakes. So I ended up turning it back on myself. What did I do wrong? Do I really look that bad? What did they see to think I was male? How in the world do I fix it if I don't know why it happened? My brain would go round and round and I'd end up in a black hole of depression. Happily, it hasn't happened recently, but just those two incidents have me wondering all the time what people are seeing. Am I really a woman to them, or are they seeing the remnants of "him" and just being nice?

Since I seem to be doing better with strangers than with people I've known for a long time, I find myself in a strange situation. I'm more comfortable with complete strangers than I am with the people I love most. So I have the terrible choice of being with people who I used to enjoy being around who now make me uncomfortable, or being known as the correct gender but being utterly alone. In reality, of course, both situations are unavoidable, and the only choice is to just keep muddling forward, dealing with whatever comes up.

QuoteI think your cards are nice and they make the point very clearly. I wonder how it will change the dynamic of the interaction. I wonder if this will break the flow of conversation and throw a great big spotlight onto the person that has misgendered you....if that is what you want to do then I think it will do that.

My intention was never to "weaponize" the cards. Calling someone out publicly and embarrassing them is likely to have the opposite effect of what's intended. In the case of the guy who did it recently, I intend to catch him alone and give him one while quietly telling him that misgendering hurts, and that the card is meant to be a gentle reminder.

In the case of my neighbor, Cassie believes the situation will eventually be self-correcting. Some day everyone else will get it right, and he'll be the one that stands out like an idiot. That may be true, but he's a definite Type A personality and extremely sure of himself, so we'll see. The one thing I know is he's not cruel or uncaring, so I think what I may do, instead of confronting him directly, is just leave one of those cards where he'll find it, and say no more. He may not even realize what he's doing, and a quiet reminder may be all he needs.

QuoteIf that misgendering was deliberate then the issue is most likely goes deeper than pronouns so the card may be the perfect physical reminder of what is considered acceptable. Once received there is no excuse for getting it wrong deliberately.

My take on it is if someone does it deliberately, they have an agenda, and a card isn't going to change their behavior. Anyone who behaves that way isn't worth my consideration. I'll know that I hadn't made a mistake - they're just so-and-so's.

QuoteI hope you are feeling better about it all and I can see by the effort you have gone too how much the whole thing has upset you.

In this latest case, I felt more wry resignation than sadness or anger. And instead of stewing over it as I used to do, it drove me to try something new, and also gave an outlet to the frustration through a little artwork. So if nothing else, I was able to refocus on something potentially positive. We'll see how it works out.

Thanks so much for your insights!

Stephanie

•  

steph2.0

I just wrote:
Quote from: Steph2.0 on July 09, 2018, 11:44:51 PM
...those two incidents have me wondering all the time what people are seeing. Am I really a woman to them, or are they seeing the remnants of "him" and just being nice?

Okay, I feel both elated and stupid this evening. After whining (or whinging, to our UK friends) about others not seeing "her", I had an amazing experience tonight.

Some of you may remember that after coming out I was nevertheless voted back into the position of president of our flying club. We occasionally have people show up at our meetings to check out our club to see if they'd like to join. That happened last month, and after I ran the meeting I introduced myself to the prospective new members. During that meeting, I was misgendered twice by other members who've known me a long time. I wondered, then, if the new members noticed and if they would be back.

Well, tonight I ran another meeting, and sure enough, they came back. The guy sat right next to me, with his wife across the table, and said they intended to join the club. And then the Sqeee-inducing moment happened.

By unusual coincidence, the only people attending were my pilot friend (who is also MTF trans), her sister, the lady from across the runway, another woman friend and her husband, my wife, and me.

As the table quieted down before the meeting started, the new guy told everyone how he had visited at least two other clubs in the area, and the membership of each was almost all male. He was pleasantly surprised that when he walked into the room, there was only one guy there - my friend's husband.

I had to run the entire meeting with this huge SQUEEEEEE building inside of me.

Stephanie

•  

LizK

Good for you Steph whatever gets the "squeee" happening in your life has to be a good thing. Being validated just never seems to get old  :D

Take care

Liz
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

KathyLauren

It's dangerous to contain a squee for long: you could rupture something.  So I'll help you.  1, 2, 3, SQUEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

How wonderful to be casually recognized for who you are!
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: KathyLauren on July 11, 2018, 06:25:27 AM
It's dangerous to contain a squee for long: you could rupture something.  So I'll help you.  1, 2, 3, SQUEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Oh, believe me, when I got home I shook the windows! I think I heard a few wine glasses shatter in the cupboard. (I wish I could hit that register...)

But, just like with spins, a bad recovery from the initial one can induce a second. I'm glad my Tutor instructor is here to talk me through it...

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEE!!

Stephanie

•  

Kendra

I remember when analog radios in aircraft had a Squelch knob.  If you have one on the shelf change the label to a Squeeee knob
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

steph2.0

A Blast From the Past:

While trying to straighten out my Walmart Pharmacy account, I ended up signing up for weekly ads. I received the first one this morning. It showed sales, suggestions... and a "Continue Shopping" section.

There on the list were fourteen suggestions for flaxseed. Immediately I was thrown back to around February 2017, when I had reached the point where I tried self-medicating through herbals and any other non-prescription means I could find. I had hit upon saw palmetto and flaxseed.

All of that old pain and dysphoria came barreling at me like Indiana Jones' stone.  But before it crushed me I realized where I was. Who I was. And what I'd accomplished. And I realized that stone was made of styrofoam and had no more power to hurt me.

It became no more than a curiosity, a distant memory overwhelmed by later wonderful events.

Moving on...

Stephanie

•  

Faith

STEPH!!  catching up, lets see..  small unhappy because, down moments suck :(

a big happy because, SQUEEEeee ...  :icon_biggrin:

past reminders. They are a good thing, they show how far you've come.
I left the door open, only a few came through. such is my life.

•